PDA

View Full Version : Blown Motor

NOTALENT
09-13-2004, 06:55 AM
Alright I am a Little pIssed OFf. Had my boat now for 2 weeks..The Guy told me the 454 had 30 hrs on it. When I test drove it, it was fine. Labor day weekend I take it out. drive for about an hour through the channel..the lake and then straight to copper canyon where I stayed all day. I left around 6 at night..and right near site 6 i hear a loud knock from the valve cover..well I finally went back out to havasu this weekend and pulled the motor!!! heres whats wrong:
1. 2 spun rod bearings
2. 2 spun crank bearings
3. crank is shot
4. Rear main cap is cracked
5. Block is shot
6. Oil pump is bad
7. and one cracked piston
Whats should I do??? I am calling him today to tell him..My cousin works for fox sports Paralegal division..so she is going to talk to her boss and he is going to try and see what he can do... :mad:

cdog
09-13-2004, 07:12 AM
Sounds like your screwed. In california when you buy a used vehical it's as is and the courts will recomend you to take your next purchase to a mechanic before purchasing. Good luck.

coolchange
09-13-2004, 07:26 AM
I've done a lot worse than that to a motor in 5 minutes. :hammer2:

NOTALENT
09-13-2004, 07:29 AM
is the law the same in AZ.. thats where I bought it??

NOTALENT
09-13-2004, 07:29 AM
and also CA has a no lemon law dont they??

gramps
09-13-2004, 07:37 AM
and also CA has a no lemon law dont they??
yea for new cars......................

cdog
09-13-2004, 07:40 AM
I'd bet so. Az will prob tell you the same thing. They tend to be real conservitive with the he said she said lawsuits. Unless you have a guarantee in writing sounds like your screwed. Has someone taken apart the engine to determine how many hours it had on it? Do you have any proof that the engine has more than 30 hrs? Do you need a recomendation to a good engine shop in socal? Is it a mercruiser engine? If it's a newer mercruiser , they have a hour counter in the ecu for the warranty stuff.

cdog
09-13-2004, 07:42 AM
Did you purchase from a dealer or private party?

NOTALENT
09-13-2004, 08:16 AM
I purchased from a private party. My buddies dad who is master mechanic and I took it apart..And found out the bad news. its justa basci 454 engine.

cdog
09-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Bad news is I think your screwed, Good news is a BBC long block is about 3k. Sounds like the oil pump let go. No body could predict that unless you saw a loss of oil pressure and even then it could be a sender. Good luck to you man I feel for you. If you need a good socal engine shop let me know.

NOTALENT
09-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Bad news is I think your screwed, Good news is a BBC long block is about 3k. Sounds like the oil pump let go. No body could predict that unless you saw a loss of oil pressure and even then it could be a sender. Good luck to you man I feel for you. If you need a good socal engine shop let me know.
haha..Damn..thats what I am afraid of..Good Thing Is I work for ATK Engines..one of the bigges reman companys in the US. And My buddy tuck builds the motors for advantage boats..I have a core here longblock my boss is giving me.with a steel crank..I am going to see if the guy I bought it from will help out if not..scare him with the lawyers..but I will see what happens today.

phebus
09-13-2004, 08:51 AM
If it ran fine when you got it, odds are the seller had no idea the motor was going to let loose. If it had good oil pressure, and made no unusual sounds, I would bet that is the case. I'm sorry you had problems, but that is the chance you take when you buy used, and take advantage of the savings by doing so. Good luck with the new motor, and I hope you get back on the water soon.

Infomaniac
09-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Sounds like bad luck to me.
No need to go back to the seller unless you had some type of written agreement.

Desert Rat
09-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Sounds like your screwed. In california when you buy a used vehical it's as is and the courts will recomend you to take your next purchase to a mechanic before purchasing. Good luck.
Not 100% true. If the seller misrepresents the sale item (ie 30 hours on a motor that can be proven to be worn out) you may have a chance in small claims court. I have seen what look like a snow balls chance in hell cases go in a favorable way. Talk to the seller first and try and work something out. Judges don't like cases where your first action is sue.

NOTALENT
09-13-2004, 09:53 AM
thats what i Inteded on doing..I would rather try to resolve it out of court..If not we will see what happens.

Dave C
09-13-2004, 10:10 AM
I agree with Desert rat but its a long shot to try and sue. Caveat emptor (spelling) i.e. buyer beware.
try to "work something out" with the seller. Be cool about it (even though your pissed) and try to "guilt" something out of him.
Be happy with anything you get.

cdog
09-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Not 100% true. If the seller misrepresents the sale item (ie 30 hours on a motor that can be proven to be worn out) you may have a chance in small claims court. I have seen what look like a snow balls chance in hell cases go in a favorable way. Talk to the seller first and try and work something out. Judges don't like cases where your first action is sue.
The burden of proof is on the buyer. Hard to tell the og shape of an engine when it is now toast and taken apart. He'd have better luck finding a way to get insurance to pay for it. If you don't have 30 hrs on paper I would'nt even bother waisting your time. The court will ask of proof and if you have none they will consider it here say and operating error, Mostlikely.

NOTALENT
09-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Does the insrance pay for things like this???

cdog
09-13-2004, 10:20 AM
I've heard of instances "water damage" to engines. You'd have to ask some more people. My engines have never let me down.

lucky
09-13-2004, 10:58 AM
a piece of the piston - - then it escaladed from there ?

BLOWN HOWARD
09-13-2004, 11:17 AM
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF BOATING!!!!!!! :hammerhea