PDA

View Full Version : Are triple trailers allowed in Cali?

King on the River
09-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Yesterday on the 60 I saw a truck with a fifth wheel towing a pair of seadoos. Is that legal. Are there size requirements. Could you do that with a travel trailer and a boat?

miller19j
09-13-2004, 11:27 AM
I have a few friends that do it 5th wheel and boat behind the 5th wheel. But they are Truck Drivers.
I don’t know the regulations but I think that you need a truck driving license (Class?)

Wally_Gator
09-13-2004, 11:29 AM
They are legal, yet some requirements..
The first trailer needs to be a fifth wheel.
All vehicles need to have brakes.
The driver needs to have CDL (Commercial Drivers License)
with doubles endorsement.
People correct me if I am wrong..
WG

dicudmore
09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
I believe Wally has nailed it :D

Speedin' Ian
09-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Wally is correct except that the rear trailer does not need brakes, also their is a 65' total length restriction and niether of the trailers can exceed 28'. If you have a hauler without a bed (such as a frieghtliner) your total length allowance is increased to 75'. I know this because my dad just went through the process. He tows a 28' fifth wheel and and 18' drag boat with a F350 CC LB and the total length is right at 65'. We have a 24' Commander and he can't tow that because the whole train is too long. Also you are restricted by the GVWR of your tow vehical.

Excessive Force
09-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Wally is correct except that the rear trailer does not need brakes, also their is a 65' total length restriction and niether of the trailers can exceed 28'. If you have a hauler without a bed (such as a frieghtliner) your total length allowance is increased to 75'. I know this because my dad just went through the process. He tows a 28' fifth wheel and and 18' drag boat with a F350 CC LB and the total length is right at 65'. We have a 24' Commander and he can't tow that because the whole train is too long. Also you are restricted by the GVWR of your tow vehical.
I hear they dont really enforce the length issue so if your over a couple feet or so i wouldnt sweat it. Also, you dont NEED to have a commercial license, you can have a class c with a special endorsement for that.

Speedin' Ian
09-13-2004, 03:18 PM
I really am pretty sure that you need a commercial license because when my dad went through the process he thought all he needed was a special endosement because that is what the people at the DMV told him. However when he took the test for the endorsement one of the questions was "true or false you can tow two trailers with this endorsement?" and to his surprise the correct answer was false. So then he asked a CHP and they told him that he had to have a commercial license. The good news is it wasn't that difficult to get the CDL

Filmwritin
09-13-2004, 03:42 PM
There is a special RV endorcement the Cali DMV bestows with qualifications. Special test, etc. Commercial license is not required, but the test is very much the same. And I believe the previous post was correct that the 2nd trailer need not have brakes, but that depends on the weight. Overall length and weight restrictions do apply.

Dragboat Dad
04-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Wally Gator and Speedin Ian are correct. I've done extensive research on pulling doubles in the state of Ca. You use to be able to pull doubles with a class c and an endorsement...but no longer. You don't need a big rig to take the driving test and you don't need to pull doubles. You can take it in your own tow vehicle pulling a 5th wheel provided the trailer has a GVWR of 10,001 lbs or more! You must get a DOT physical and also need to pass 3 written tests. The overall length is 65' and the license is good up to 26,000 lbs. You are resticted on weight dependent on what your tow vehicle is rated (my truck is rated to tow 12,500 or 20,000 combined). Also, you can get away with a longer over all length and more weight until you are involved in an accident, then you're in trouble...big trouble! If you have any other questions here is the CA DMV Commercial License Ph# 916 657-5771.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1349111-1185_IMG-med.JPG

KACHINA KEN
04-11-2005, 04:11 PM
I hear they dont really enforce the length issue so if your over a couple feet or so i wouldnt sweat it. Also, you dont NEED to have a commercial license, you can have a class c with a special endorsement for that.
They do enforce it. Doubles are 28 to 32' long here in the western states. 45' are sometimes referred to as Michigan doubles. they will also allow triple 45' hookups on some mid western turnpikes. It's skechy as **** driving doubles and I would never do triples. I do have the endorsement though.

KACHINA KEN
04-11-2005, 08:29 PM
While I've pulled double 45's on the NY thrueway, I've never even seen trip 45's anywhere in this country. Australia maybe. Trip 28's are allowed in Nevada as we see them everyday on I-15.
Rio You will only see em on the turnpikes in PA, OH, IA typically.

INSman
04-11-2005, 09:19 PM
All I am thinking is that backing that beatch up could get real ugly real quick !! :idea: :jawdrop: :2purples:

Brooski
04-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Hopefully you plan ahead and dont have to back it. Looks like Ventura County is the home for tandem pullers. I tow my 26' 5th wheel and 18' Jet (without brakes)with a 2500HD, which can tow up to 16,000lbs. My pulling weight is around 10,000lbs. I dont know about what class license you need. I have had a Class A with all endorsements for years.