PDA

View Full Version : Well... This Stinks!!! Ivan has a bullseye...

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 05:18 PM
On my friggin condo :burningm:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W+GIF/132133W.gif

RiverOtter
09-13-2004, 05:37 PM
If you look real close, you can see the bullseye :cry:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6801P8210309-med.JPG

572Daytona
09-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Give it time, you may be still ok. It keeps tracking further and further west. I was worried about our Key West timeshare just a couple of days ago and it is turning out to be a complete miss there.

Scream
09-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Ok, from a California native, wtf do you do when mom nature comes a callin? Do you buy some useless plywood and try to think yourself into saving your home or do you just pick up the needables and bail as quick as you can. :confused:
At least here we've got Earthquakes that hit at random and without notice, so we can't think about what we're gonna loose till all the loosin stops. :cry: :cry:
I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to ponder the destruction of my home for up to a week before the actual event. Maybe that's why all you folks from that part of the world are prematurely gray. j/k :wink:
Scream :skull:

sanger rat
09-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Holy Cow! Looks likes its going to take I-75 right to Michigan.

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 04:36 AM
Give it time, you may be still ok. It keeps tracking further and further west. I was worried about our Key West timeshare just a couple of days ago and it is turning out to be a complete miss there.
Well... it moved west again. Looks like Mobile is gonna get it. Problem is the thing is so big reports are saying hurricane force winds 100 miles outside of the eye!!! NWS is saying Birmingham (2/3 up the state of AL) could still get Hurricane force winds. Yikes!

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 04:56 AM
:cry: :cry:
Ok, from a California native, wtf do you do when mom nature comes a callin? Do you buy some useless plywood and try to think yourself into saving your home or do you just pick up the needables and bail as quick as you can. :confused:
I don't live there, but I do have a couple of condos there. We asked about the plywood thing and the association said that was our problem. If you look at the pic, there is no way I'm gonna climb up 4 stories and install plywood on a solid concrete wall. The association told us the doors are "hurricane proof" (145 MPH winds)... we'll see.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6801P8210309-med.JPG
At least here we've got Earthquakes that hit at random and without notice, so we can't think about what we're gonna loose till all the loosin stops. :cry: :cry:
I'm not sure which is worse. We do see them coming for sure. And we do worry about it. Good thing we have insurance.
I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to ponder the destruction of my home for up to a week before the actual event. Maybe that's why all you folks from that part of the world are prematurely gray. j/k :wink:
What stinks is seeing that storm on the TV. Looks like a giant buzzsaw. Which I guess is what it is. :2purples:
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/spec_trop3_720x486.jpg

manuel
09-14-2004, 05:01 AM
I have always wanted to go to the gulf and sit-out a hurricane but this one is WAY too strong for that, I live about where the 1pm dot is on that chart you put up and I'm getting ready, we will get the bad part of this but not the benefit of watching the ocean churn, my friends who sat out Frederick and Opal at Gulf Shores are heading for higher ground, Opal did a LOT of damage where I'm at 300 miles north, it really does stink! we will get tornadoes out of this :frown: I was at the gulf right after Georges roared through and it was VERY sad to see the wreckage in person and all the people walking around confused and lost, I wanted to help but there was nothing to do but start over, the smashed boat pictures really hurt worse than the house damage to me, here is a very good site for charts and info, better than the NOAA site,
http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/tracking.asp
and this is a beach-cam on top of one of the Phoenix condos at Orange Beach
http://came2.brett-robinson.com/view/view.shtml
I miss the earthquakes back home, no anticipation, no plywood,
Manuel

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 05:09 AM
I have always wanted to go to the gulf and sit-out a hurricane but this one is WAY too strong for that, I live about where the 1pm dot is on that chart you put up and I'm getting ready, we will get the bad part of this but not the benefit of watching the ocean churn, my friends who sat out Frederick and Opal at Gulf Shores are heading for higher ground, Opal did a LOT of damage where I'm at 300 miles north, it really does stink! we will get tornadoes out of this :frown: I was at the gulf right after Georges roared through and it was VERY sad to see the wreckage in person and all the people walking around confused and lost, I wanted to help but there was nothing to do but start over, the smashed boat pictures really hurt worse than the house damage to me,
I miss the earthquakes back home, no anticipation, no plywood,
Manuel
You live in alaBAMA??? Get ready, as you said this one's UGLY. We are expecting 6-10 inches of rain in the Nooga :cry: Here's a new chart.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W5+GIF/140853W5.gif :cry:

Dr. Eagle
09-14-2004, 05:12 AM
Holy Cow! Looks likes its going to take I-75 right to Michigan.
You know what that means......... we're
DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 05:20 AM
You know what that means......... we're
DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D LOL :D

Huckleberry
09-14-2004, 05:23 AM
What do a hurricane and a divorce in Alabama have in common???
In either one, someone's gonna lose a trailer! :D

manuel
09-14-2004, 05:27 AM
RiverOtter, You must be familiar with the PinkPony, here is a good beach cam there, looks nice right now,
http://www.pinkponypub.net/cams/index.asp

Kachina26
09-14-2004, 05:28 AM
How soon we forget the fires................. I remember sitting home from work just last year with my truck packed with papers, pictures, cash and a few irreplaceable items. The people with sofas and fridges in the back of theirs were cracking me up.

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 05:30 AM
How soon we forget the fires................. I remember sitting home from work just last year with my truck packed with papers, pictures, cash and a few irreplaceable items. The people with sofas and fridges in the back of theirs were cracking me up.
What about the mudslides. Those things look pretty scary.

572Daytona
09-14-2004, 06:25 AM
I sat out a hurricane Bob when I lived up in Mass, it wasn't a very strong one and apart from getting some water in the house from some windows that the builder forgot to caulk there was no damage to our house. The worse part was the electricity being out for days afterwards. No hot water or computer gets old in a hurry. If you have a well built house most hurricanes won't do anything other than cosmetic damage to it from the wind. There is always a danger of a tree falling on the house, or if you live too close to the coast you can get flooding damage. Now Tornados on the other hand will pretty much rip apart any structure if it is in their path, so you will want to be hiding underground when they hit.

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 06:31 AM
I am not only concerned about the people and propety but these are some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The erosion could be devistating :(
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6801P8170153.JPG

SB
09-14-2004, 07:02 AM
You've always wanted to sit one out? That's nuts. It's boring, there's no power, no water, no ice, no tv, it's hot, there's no ac, you can't open a window. You can't go anywhere. You lose all the food in your fridge.
I just lost a roof and ceilings to Frances. The roofers will be backed up for 2 years. People without power for 3 weeks. Their sewers don't work. Old people can't evacuate, don't have power to run their oxygen.
Realize that Florida is a big state. My little spot only gets hit by a major hurricane once every 25 years. Newer houses do ok.

Cheap Thrills
09-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Wont the TN river be fun to navigate once this thing blows through ?
it'll make for some great stump jumping :D
C.T. :wink:

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 08:15 AM
You've always wanted to sit one out? That's nuts. It's boring, there's no power, no water, no ice, no tv, it's hot, there's no ac, you can't open a window. You can't go anywhere. You lose all the food in your fridge.
I just lost a roof and ceilings to Frances. The roofers will be backed up for 2 years. People without power for 3 weeks. Their sewers don't work. Old people can't evacuate, don't have power to run their oxygen.
Realize that Florida is a big state. My little spot only gets hit by a major hurricane once every 25 years. Newer houses do ok.
That is just about crazy!! 145+mph winds can/will wreck just about anything. Sorry about your losses. Vero Beach eh, Did Fat Boys BBQ make it through the storm. I know the owner but have not talked to him.

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 08:17 AM
Wont the TN river be fun to navigate once this thing blows through ?
it'll make for some great stump jumping :D
Funny you should say that. I did navigate the TN down to Guntersville when the feeder bands from Opel were hitting up here..... Surf was up!! That was one rough ride in a 22' Pachanga. Especially where it opens up 10 miles above Guntersville Dam.

Kachina26
09-14-2004, 08:26 AM
What about the mudslides. Those things look pretty scary.
I don't live near the hills. :D

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 08:27 AM
I don't live near the hills. :D
Sink Holes?? :D

Cheap Thrills
09-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Having lived waterfront there for 12+ yrs.I have been out on the river (Chickamunga/Watts Barr) several times after large storms. and early season when they first bring the level up . I've seen some extremely large trees bobbing around as they float downstream
It's quite unnerving when you bump a big noseeum log with the cruiser.:2purples:

RiverOtter
09-14-2004, 08:37 AM
This year was no exception. A 30'+ log floated up to shore at or Soddy lot. :supp:

throwerb
09-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Well I'm starting to have second thoughts about moving to Nashville, don't know if my boat can handle stump jumping?

RiverOtter
09-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Well I'm starting to have second thoughts about moving to Nashville, don't know if my boat can handle stump jumping?
You'll be ok, generally doesn't happen.