PDA

View Full Version : Best Hotel(s) in San Diego.......

Rod-64
09-13-2004, 06:22 PM
We're heading out to SD on Columbus Day weekend for a week to do all the tourist crap.......Zoo and such. What's the best all around hotel, not meaning the most expensive but good area/ price, etc. Also which is the best beach nearby to do some body surfing??
Thanks.

clownpuncher
09-13-2004, 06:40 PM
A couple of weeks ago we stayed at the Marriot near Seaport Village. Great place. I think it was about 180 a night or so. Close to gas lamp, seaport village, Petco park.

Craig
09-13-2004, 06:43 PM
We stayed at the San Diego Marriott in August. Nice place, close to everything
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/San%20Diego/P8141101a.jpg
View from our room :smile: Not the cheapest, but if only a couple of days, go for the nice place!
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/San%20Diego/P8141154a.jpg

100mbs
09-13-2004, 06:45 PM
If you are looking to stay close to the water, Then you can stay at the Marriot or the Hyatt down in Sea Port Village. It is really close to the Gaslamp District and close driving distance to Zoo, Sea World etc..
If you want to stay away from the water then there are a lot of places in Hotel Circle to stay at. They are probably about 5 miles away from all the tourist stuff still.
As far as the body boarding goes i would say up in Torrey Pines/Del Mar or Encinitas, Carlsbad, Cardiff, these are all good places to go and clean to.

BarryMac
09-13-2004, 07:11 PM
I agree with the first two post, the Marriot is nice yet pricey, we also like the La Jolla area, there are some nice hotels near the Childrens Pool, the one that comes to mind is Sea Shell, not fancy but the location is awesome with some great beaches within walking distance and PB (Pacific Beach) is just a few miles away, PB has some of the best night life in SD.
Hopefully Mandelon will see this also, he knows SD pretty good and I am certain he can give some good advice.
Have fun and enjoy SD, the second most beautiful place on earth... :boxed:
gjb

Rod-64
09-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks, guys.........that Marriot sure is nice but is expensive. On the weekend we'll be going it's $225 per night. :2purples:

Captain Dan
09-14-2004, 02:09 PM
We're heading out to SD on Columbus Day weekend for a week to do all the tourist crap.......Zoo and such. What's the best all around hotel, not meaning the most expensive but good area/ price, etc. Also which is the best beach nearby to do some body surfing??
Thanks.
Columbus Day? Who gets that day off? :cool:

Froggystyle
09-14-2004, 02:24 PM
The Wyndham is really nice too.
What are your main requirements? What do you want to do while in town, and do you need to be walking distance?

JB in so cal
09-14-2004, 02:32 PM
C'mon Rod.
Carlsbad, about 20 miles north, Four Seasons Aviara, about $400/$500 per.
It's not the Kitchen Cabins, buuuut....

Rod-64
09-14-2004, 02:35 PM
The Wyndham is really nice too.
What are your main requirements? What do you want to do while in town, and do you need to be walking distance?
We'll be driving in........want to spend in the 80-100 dollar range...going to visit the zoo, beach and downtown areas.
I've stayed at Hotel Circle before but that's not really where I want to be. I stayed at Days Inn across the street from Fisherman's Landing.may check that out again.
Is the Blue Crab retaurant still in business.....my friend went there last year and they were closed from a fire or something??

Rod-64
09-14-2004, 02:36 PM
C'mon Rod.
Carlsbad, about 20 miles north, Four Seasons Aviara, about $400/$500 per.
It's not the Kitchen Cabins, buuuut....
Sure.pocket change!!! :p
How are you doing on the BML thing JB??

JB in so cal
09-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Find out tomorrow. I get to talk to the boss :hammer2: I feel like I'm about to see the principal. Jackass!
I've been scoping other places just in case - my primary contender for the rest of the year is his old man's place, Castle Rock Shores in Parker. As a result of a recent settlement, George got BML, his Dad and Step Mom :jawdrop: got CRS and, I think River Lodge.
I figure I'll stick it to him if he boots me by giving Daddy some $$...
JB

Rod-64
09-14-2004, 02:45 PM
Find out tomorrow. I get to talk to the boss :hammer2: I feel like I'm about to see the principal. Jackass!
I've been scoping other places just in case - my primary contender for the rest of the year is his old man's place, Castle Rock Shores in Parker. As a result of a recent settlement, George got BML, his Dad and Step Mom :jawdrop: got CRS and, I think River Lodge.
I figure I'll stick it to him if he boots me by giving Daddy some $$...
JB
Well I hope things work out for you.......all those places are anal.......let us know how you make out...............BTW how far are you fron San Diego???

JB in so cal
09-14-2004, 02:48 PM
About 60 miles north on the beautiful, hardly ever jammed, 5.

burtandnancy
09-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Paradise Point (formerly Vacation Villiage). Walking distance to Mission Bay, Sea World etc. Single story cottages, not a real hotel, but you park right out your front door. Their restaurant is on the water and good for breakfast/dinner. Easy access to freeways and downtown. But the hotels above are very good too.
Is the Marriott the old Continental, anyone?

Mandelon
09-14-2004, 03:05 PM
How about down in PB near the water? The Hilton on Mission Bay is kinda nice, the Bahia old, but near the beach and Sea World. No place is cheap anymore....I agree Mission Valley is kinda lame.
the W downtown and the Marriot and Hyatt are really nice, but like you said, kinda pricey.
Try www.signonsandiego.com there are links for travel and visitors guide. If you want me to check a place out let me know.

OutCole'd
09-14-2004, 03:16 PM
Do what I do when I go to San Diego, I stay at Mandelon's..
Not really, I stay at the Catamaran.

PHX ATC
09-14-2004, 03:23 PM
The Westin in downtown Gaslamp district. Walking distance to great restaurants and right next door to a great outdoor mall. Hold on to your wallets! Book online for cheaper stuff sometimes.

Three Days Only
09-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Paradise Point on Mission Bay is also very nice.
Hotel Website - Paradise Point (www.paradisepoint.com)

Raylar
09-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Since I've lived and played in San Diego for over 20 years, I guess I'll throw in my to cents. The Catamaran, The Hilton Mission Bay and Paradise Point are your three best choices in the price range, location and beach access you want.
Raylar :smile:

ROZ
09-14-2004, 09:48 PM
4 Seasons or La Costa Spa and Resort are both nice. There's the W downtown...

BarryMac
09-15-2004, 05:58 AM
the one that comes to mind is Sea Shell, not fancy but the location is awesome with some great beaches within walking distance
scratch that name, it is the Shell Beach motel, it is still pricey, about $160.00 a night...
gjb

gramps
09-15-2004, 06:08 AM
About 60 miles north on the beautiful, hardly ever jammed, 5.
you must mean 5th street!!!!!