PDA

View Full Version : Best drive-in twin bills

roostwear
09-14-2004, 09:01 AM
A thread on another board got me thinking about the favorite twin bills at drive-ins when I was younger. When there used to be drive-ins everywhere (try to find ONE now), our group would go time after time to see the same flicks. My 2 all time favorites:
Vanishing Point and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
Kentucky Fried Movie and Groove Tube
Alcohol and other things were occaisionally involved.......

Racer277
09-14-2004, 09:10 AM
A bunch of us went to the drive in off lemon and the 91 to watch Ghost Busters. When one of my buddies fell asleep (alcohol involved), we all just left him there in his car.
He told us the next day it took him two hours to drive his car out because he woke up in the middle of a swap meet! :rollside:

roostwear
09-14-2004, 09:30 AM
He'd wake up in Lowes now!

Racer277
09-14-2004, 09:32 AM
He'd wake up in Lowes now!
Hheellooo, I'm just looking for some roofing tiles.
Hheellooo?

gigamurph
09-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Drive-Ins are the greatest now that they have the soundtracks piped through your car's stereo! "Star Wars" just didn't have the same "kick" through that one friggin' 4" speaker hangin' on the window! There's still a few around! The drive-in in Indio and the Sunair Drive-In in Cathedral City (both of 'em long gone) used to have dusk to dawn movies a few years back (like 30 or so ago. GEEZUS!). Saw Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's "Knife Edge Tour" (before MTV ya young pups) and about two dozen "Army trainin' films" (as we liked to call 'em) one night at the Sunair. The best of the bunch was a '40s anti-drug film called "Reefer Madness". we were all sittin' around like "whoooooa....." :eek: :p

Riverblender
09-14-2004, 11:16 PM
Vanishing Point, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry and Gone In 60 seconds the original.
I can still remember my mother telling my dad that the me and my brothers should be hearing that kind of language and covering my brothers ears.
Good Times

Captain Dan
09-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Death Wish 1, 2, and 3 at the Aero in El Cajon.

Rexone
09-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Back when I grew up (don't tell anyone) all movies were twin bills. When the started changing to the single movie format everyone was pissed. Basically the theaters doubled their revenue with this manuver. But the people bit and here we are today with 8-15 dollar movie prices. :hammerhea

Misogynist
09-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Awww Jesus... you children.... I remember going to a "Planet of the apes" marathon at a drive in... you got to see every one of the "Planet of the apes" flicks.... $3.00 per carload.... hahahahahahahah........ :D

Keithb87
09-15-2004, 08:28 AM
Friday the 13th marathon.. at that time there was only 4 movies though :)

cyclone
09-15-2004, 09:43 AM
i vaguely remember seeing star wars at the drive in with my folks. They used to have one of those giant station wagons with the rear facing back seat. we'd get into trouble for making faces at the cars behind us while my dad drove. Funny thing was that with three rows of seating, he could reach that far backwards to smack us while he was driving. Ah the good old days of sneaking into the drive-in under a blanket in the back of the wagon.....

cyclone
09-15-2004, 09:44 AM
A thread on another board got me thinking about the favorite twin bills at drive-ins when I was younger. When there used to be drive-ins everywhere (try to find ONE now), our group would go time after time to see the same flicks. My 2 all time favorites:
Vanishing Point and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
Kentucky Fried Movie and Groove Tube
Alcohol and other things were occaisionally involved.......
at least there are still Sonic drive-ins around. Not exactly the same, but the one by me has a car show once a month.

comin' unscrewed
09-15-2004, 12:35 PM
At the Santa Barbara Twin screen drive-in it was "Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry" with "Two Lane Blacktop".

rmylek
09-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Wow, you actually remember the movies you say, We used to drive through the back gate and drink beer and eat popcorn all night. We knew the manager of the drive in up here in Antioch at the Bridgehead.

gigamurph
09-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Wow, you actually remember the movies you say, We used to drive through the back gate and drink beer and eat popcorn all night. We knew the manager of the drive in up here in Antioch at the Bridgehead.Not really! But I bet the ol' high school girlfriend and I could recite the entire script to "Airport". Went to the drive-in to see it five times and didn't see it once! Hey! It was cheaper than a motel room and she insisted on a place that had a bathroom! Ahhhhhh; the good ol' days before OA set in!
:p

Misogynist
09-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Not really! But I bet the ol' high school girlfriend and I could recite the entire script to "Airport". Went to the drive-in to see it five times and didn't see it once! Hey! It was cheaper than a motel room and she insisted on a place that had a bathroom! Ahhhhhh; the good ol' days before OA set in!
:p
OA?... what is OA?..... :confused: