PDA

View Full Version : Cabo advice

Excessive Force
09-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Decided im going to Cabo...anyone have any advice on where to stay, places not to stay? Ripoff's? Wanna try to stick a charter fishing trip in the schedule.
Questions, comments or suggestions welcome.

burtandnancy
09-14-2004, 05:53 PM
In all of Mexico, Cabo is the least Mexican. Hardly anything bad there. To many good restaurants to recommend, but for a fun lunch on the beach, go the The Office. Know nothing about hotels, friends have time shares. Only downer was long trip from airport to town, otherwise all is great...

Boatcop
09-14-2004, 05:59 PM
If you're driving, make sure you sanitize the vehicle. No guns, no bullets, no firearms related stuff at all.
Even an empty casing or stray .22 round under the mat in the trunk will get you in the Mexican jail for a LONG time. There's no such thing as a speedy trial down there, and it could be months before they even charge you with anything, much less let you see a lawyer, a judge or anyone else.
The Embassy may send someone over every few weeks or so to make sure you're still alive, but other than that, there's not much they can do to help.
Oh Yeah. Cabo Wabo is a must do.

uvindex
09-14-2004, 06:00 PM
I've been there several times. If you want a cheap, no-frills, in-town place I recommend the Hotel Mar de Cortez. No phones, no TV, but simple clean rooms, great prices, and you can walk to Squid Roe, Gigglin' Marlin, Cabo Wabo, Plaza Las Glorias, the marina, and several strip joints. :)
I've also stayed at the Hotel Hacienda. A very nice, resort-style place on the beach, next to the inlet to the marina. You have to take water taxis or cabs to everything from there, unless you feel like walking a good ways.
And I agree, the Office is a great place to hang out in in the daytime for food or buckets of beer (tables are right on the sand on the beach).
Have fun!

Windy
09-14-2004, 06:02 PM
The Office during the day and Skid Row at nite.

Excessive Force
09-14-2004, 06:02 PM
wont miss the red rocker! will be flying in not driving, wanna spend as much time there as possible. Noone has done the sportfishin out there?

Excessive Force
09-14-2004, 06:04 PM
The Office during the day and Skid Row at nite. almost sounds like the story of my life :hammer2:

Windy
09-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Sportfishen is excellent there....I didnt make the arrangements so I cant offer any advice in that dept.

Windy
09-14-2004, 06:06 PM
almost sounds like the story of my life :hammer2:
Cept you can have drinks at The Office in Cabo.

CAHotRodBoy
09-14-2004, 06:36 PM
I have a time share at Pueblo Bonito Rose. I probably won't use my week this year so if you are interested let me know and I'll give you a deal on it.

CAHotRodBoy
09-14-2004, 06:39 PM
The Office has the best Marggies in Cabo. The fishing is supposed to be awesome but I have never gone. Too busy at the Office! :wink: :wink:

It's all Good
09-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Cabo is a great time. We have been going for years.
I prefer flying Alaska Air, they have their own terminal.
My favorite hotel is the Melia San Lucas. Great location and decent rates. It is next door to the Pueblo Bonito hotels. Right up the beach from the Office.
Fishing is awesome, just not after a storm for a few days. Don't book a boat in advance, you will get a much better deal in Cabo. I recommend getting a ponga to take you out along the rocks towards Lands End. Be sure to check out the food and drink situation, you might need to bring your own on the boat.
Mi Casa is one of our favorites restaurants
The Trailer Park is way overpriced, great food though
Cabo is really expensive now. Not the deal it used to be.
Have a great time!

SoCalOffshore
09-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Cabo is awesome. The fishing and golf are great. But, can be very expensive dependent on where you stay and eat. A number of great bars, including CAbo WAbo are a must see. We have usally stayed at condos or rental houses.

Mandelon
09-14-2004, 08:00 PM
That Plaza Las Glorias hotel is on the marina, NOT the beach. Noisy in the mornings.

XtrmWakeborder
09-14-2004, 08:28 PM
I've stayed at the playa grande in the presidential suite Playa Grande (http://www.playagranderesort.com/accommodations.cfm) . Really nice resort right on the beach and a ten minute stumble from squid roe along the boardwalk. I'd deffinately recommend that place and the best clubs to me were squid roe, giggling marlin, the one next door to squid roe "its outside with just a huge bar", and cabo wabo of coarse....during the day id rent some quads and hit the dunes and ride around town.

hasty450
09-14-2004, 09:40 PM
I've stayed at the Westin Regina it's halfway between San Jose Del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. The Office is always a great time and Billygans next door is pretty nice too. I would definitely recommend stopping by El Shrimp Bucket for lunch. Like the other guys said check out the Giggling Marlin and you have to stop by Cabo Wabo!

Uplink
09-14-2004, 11:47 PM
We stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Rose (http://www.pueblobonito.com/rose/) Beautiful hotel, awsome pool too, right on the beach. I think its Hurricane season right now though, you may want to wait until winter. Have fun :D
Mark

dc96819
09-15-2004, 01:14 AM
I stayed at Costa Real Cabo its in the marina.The pangas are right in back.Caught a 300 lb marlin it was bigger then our panga.Dont forget each person bring there cooler for the fish you catch.We left our coolers in the hotel freezer and when we left lots of the fish were gone.Bring lots of $1.00 the kids want to carry your cooler,poles and what ever elese for a tip .We booked our trip with Blue water tours,3 days and 2 day fishing.They supply the poles if you dont have any.We bought lunch 4 lunches for us and the fish captin + deck hand,tip was $50. you dont need to do that :)

Essex502
09-15-2004, 05:38 AM
We always stay north of Cabo San Lucas proper in San Jose del Cabo at the El Presidente. All inclusive - all the booze you can drink and food you can eat. Very quiet and very attentive staff. It's about a 30 minute cab to downtown Cabo San Lucas but it's nice to be away from the party once in a while. This place treats you right.
Fishing...try to visit in Octber BEFORE the Bisbee Black and Blue Marlin tournament. October and early November are GREAT times to fish but once the Bisbee happens it's tough to catch large fish. We take charters out of the Palmilla. Only 10 minutes from the El Presidente and saves over an hour of boat time to get to some of the best tuna fishing grounds in Cabo.
Partying...take the taxi into Cabo itself and party until you can't party any longer and taxi back.

SoCalOffshore
09-15-2004, 06:34 AM
San Jose Del Cabo is a great, more traditional, town with nice restaurants and shops.

Dribble
09-15-2004, 06:52 AM
Had the best fish tacos I've ever eaten at Squid Roe a couple of weeks ago.

Waldo
09-15-2004, 06:58 AM
We always stay north of Cabo San Lucas proper in San Jose del Cabo at the El Presidente. All inclusive - all the booze you can drink and food you can eat. Very quiet and very attentive staff. It's about a 30 minute cab to downtown Cabo San Lucas but it's nice to be away from the party once in a while. This place treats you right.
Fishing...try to visit in Octber BEFORE the Bisbee Black and Blue Marlin tournament. October and early November are GREAT times to fish but once the Bisbee happens it's tough to catch large fish. We take charters out of the Palmilla. Only 10 minutes from the El Presidente and saves over an hour of boat time to get to some of the best tuna fishing grounds in Cabo.
Partying...take the taxi into Cabo itself and party until you can't party any longer and taxi back.
Ditto to everything said.

Schiada76
09-15-2004, 07:20 AM
Stay at the Hotel Sol Mar if you want nice, demand a Junior Suite on the beach, you step out of your room onto the sand. It's a private beach with no vendors. You can walk to anywhere in town from there also. Mar De Cortez is where we go with just the guys for fishing trips. No TV or phones but right in the middle of the main drag, you can walk just about anywhere you need to go.
Go down to the dock in the morning or afternoon and ask for Roberto (El Gordo), tell him you're a friend of Brad's and he will take good care of you. He will get you ANYTHING you need in Cabo. If you have a small party and want to fish offshore see if you can find a cruiser to share, either through Roberto or the Hotel you're staying in.
We try to go after the Bisbee to fish, it's big tuna time and the billfish don't get affected by the tournaments, it's a BIG ocean and billfish don't spook.
If you stay out of town cab rides get real expensive and are sometimes a long wait to get out of your hotel and into town to PARTY!!!!!!!!!

Excessive Force
09-15-2004, 07:21 AM
Awesome replies , im writing this stuff down :)

FREIND OF AA AND TA
09-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Wesitn Regina and Fiesta Americana for hotels for sure! Both are in Los Cabos but worth the drive to down town. The office in the day time is cool but it's nice to get far away at night. Go to Georgio's at night for grub. It is one of the nicest resturants in the world. Sex every time!

Quality Time
09-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Another prop for Sol Mar.

redi4fun
09-15-2004, 08:31 AM
Went there last year. Stayed at this place on the advise of a friend. http://www.finisterra.com All I can say is awesome!! Great place to eat called the Whale Watcher, very clean hotel built high on a hill. Can watch the whales from the bar right on the beach. Can take a 5 min walk to the marina and a 10 min walk to all the action in town. Will never stay anywhere else in town.

TrojanDan
09-15-2004, 08:53 AM
I've been to Cabo about 4 or 5 times. Last time there, I stayed at the Westin Regina. It's closer to San Jose del Cabo but a bitchin $200 million plus hotel. Hardly left the place.
In Cabo San Lucas, Hotel Solmar and the Terrasol are also very nice hotels on the Pacific side (and Finnistera) but still walking distance into town and some fishing boats. Beach is clean (not many vendors) but water is dangerous to swim in. Swimming in most of the beaches can be hairy. I think Bahia Santa Maria just outside of Cabo SL towards SJ del Cabo is one of the better places to snorkel and swim.
Squid Roe is the place to be for the night life. It's across the street from the Hard Rock Cafe. The "Office" on the beach is pretty good if you don't mind vendors coming up to your table while eating. An outdoor patio bar that you have to try is "Solomon's Landing" bar and grill right outside Plaza las Glorias Hotel on the marina side. About $20 will give you a good buzz and some grub. Try the "Skip and go Naked". Cabo Wabo is overrated. Go there and have a shot just to say you were there but otherwise, it's pretty dead. Sammy usually throws his Birthday bash the weekend of Oct. 9 or so. Check his website. If you are going during Sammy's B'day weekend , then it's a blast.
There's newspapers all over Cabo advertising the local happy hours and such. Pick one up the first day to find out all the deals. Cabo is very touristy so you will be overwhelmed with timeshare offers as soon as you step off the plane. BTW, cab fare from the airport to downtown Cabo is about $30+ per person.
Fishing......well I think it's better than average but certainly not better than the East Cape in my opinion. I've been skunked too many times. Don't get your hopes up too high for landing that dream fish.
Weather, I think October is one of the better times of the year as long as a hurricane isn't around messing up the program. Humidity is lower and weather still warm. November is when the hotels start raising their rates again.
Renting a car isn't too bad. I think I rented thru Enterprise one time and for one way. I drove it from the airport into Cabo, stopped at the SuperMarket in town to buy all my beer and water and snacks, then dropped it off in town. Only had it for a day or two.
Have fun. Good thing about Cabo is that it's close (to LA) and sort of inexpensive and pretty safe. :cool:

rivercrazy
09-15-2004, 08:54 AM
If you want to stay in between look up Casa Del Mar. That is one awesome place to stay.
Don't pass up dinner at Mi Casa. Its the best restaurant we ate at by far. Be CAREFUL at The Office. I got one serious case of explosive craps from that place....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-15-2004, 09:22 AM
"Los Cabos" is the area of San Jose del Cabo (where the airport is), Cabo San Lucas (about 30 mies away) and everything in between. There are hotels all in between, if you want to stay out of the city area. You can take a cab into town, as someone else mentioned, HOWEVER, there is a substantial cost in doing so. Last I heard it was about $30 a pop. IMO, it is better to stay in Cabo San Lucas proper and be close enough to walk into town during the day and maybe take a $5 cab ride around town at night for safety.
We didn't do any fishing, but I'm sure it's excellent, since that used to be the basis of their tourist industry.
One more note, if you want great, calm beaches, stay somewhere on t he "bay" or "gulf" side. The "pacific" side has some pretty heavy waves. Probably great for surfers, but bad for swimmers.
We also stayed at the Melia San Lucas and really loved it. It was very open and airy, "hacienda like" and every room has an ocean view.