PDA

View Full Version : Garbage disposal help

Danhercules
09-15-2004, 09:54 AM
The damn thing aint workin.
Hit the switch, and I hear it hummm. Sounds like it wants to turn but cannot. On the bottom there is an allen bolt. I put the allen in there and it spins freely. What else to check?

copperrat20
09-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Did you push the reset button on the bottom?

mirvin
09-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Uh oh :hammer2: If you're hearing a hum that means it's getting power. If the allen wrench turns it then it's not stuck, so........she might be broke captain!!!
GOod luck.
mirvin ;)

RiverToysJas
09-15-2004, 10:13 AM
When you reach inside can you turn it freely by hand? (Don't have the power switch on when you do this ;) ).
Mine was stuck one time, turned out a small screw from some construction I was doing somehow got down there lodged between the disk and the case. It was doing the same thing though, humming but not working.
I thought of a simple trick for removing and esp installing those things by yourself, I use the scissor jack from our Honda to lift it up and hold it in place. They are small and fit good under the sink. They will hold it tight to the bottom of the sink while you tighten the ring. ;)
RTJas :D

Danhercules
09-16-2004, 06:15 AM
I did unplug it and felt around inside. My hands too big to really get in there at turn it. The allen on the bottom dose turn.

Waist Deep
09-16-2004, 06:18 AM
You sure its not spinnin with the motor on? Maybe its quiet

PHX ATC
09-16-2004, 06:26 AM
Get the flashlight out and check down the drain really really good (in the sink). I had an apple peel clog up the entire unti once. Damndest thing ever.

JetBoatRich
09-16-2004, 06:32 AM
Sounds Jammed
On the bottom of the unit, there should be a hole. Take an allen wrench that fits and turn the thing until it feels free :cool:

racecar.hotshoe
09-16-2004, 06:39 AM
Im thinking a visit to the home depot is in your future.But first try this :hammer2:

Essex502
09-16-2004, 06:42 AM
Unplug the garbage disposer from the socket. Stick a big flat bladed screwdriver down the drain and try to spin the blades. There is a plate usually with three blades and sometimes crud builds up or an obstruction prevents these from turning. I had a rental house 10 or so years ago that needed a little "screwdriver treatment" occasionally.

Rod-64
09-16-2004, 06:47 AM
I just went through this 2 weeks ago............how old is it? Mine was 10 years old and it just started to cannibilize itself. It even split the metal casing!. Replaced it for $75. Went from an In-sinkerator 1/2hp to a 3/4 unit.

Danhercules
09-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Unplug the garbage disposer from the socket. Stick a big flat bladed screwdriver down the drain and try to spin the blades. There is a plate usually with three blades and sometimes crud builds up or an obstruction prevents these from turning. I had a rental house 10 or so years ago that needed a little "screwdriver treatment" occasionally.
Just tried it. I CAN spin the blades. I pluged it in and no go. Just the Humming sound. Is it gone? :mad:

GlastronGuy
09-16-2004, 07:28 AM
You don't want to spin the blades. You want to spin the plate the blades are mounted to.

al cole'holic
09-16-2004, 07:49 AM
...stop putting pork chop bones down there ;)

Essex502
09-16-2004, 07:49 AM
True...I shoulda' been more explicit...the blades usually spin on the plate and the plate is turned by the motor. If the plate turns and it still doesn't turn via the motor then you're probably due for a replacement.

Essex502
09-16-2004, 07:51 AM
...stop putting pork chop bones down there ;)
The industrial strength disposers in restaurants can take bone and all. Don't know what that must do to the plumbing downstream of the disposer though!

Danhercules
09-16-2004, 07:55 AM
True...I shoulda' been more explicit...the blades usually spin on the plate and the plate is turned by the motor. If the plate turns and it still doesn't turn via the motor then you're probably due for a replacement.
I understood. The blades spin on the plate, and the plate spinns with the screwdriver. The allen under the unit spins. yet the motor wont spin it.
Looks like its time for a new one. :yuk:
Upgrade to 3/4 hp sounds good to me!!!!

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-16-2004, 07:55 AM
it is out of commision.. you need a new one.. If it is just humming and the blades are spinning freely you need to replace it.. I would suggest a 333 , or a 444.. they are big and they chop the shit out of whatever you put in it..
they are easy to replace yourself if you have any questions on how to do it.. I can walk you through it. ;)

roostwear
09-16-2004, 08:00 AM
If you hit the reset button on the bottom, and it still hums :D , then "it's dead, Jim"

JetBoatRich
09-16-2004, 08:27 AM
If it HUMMMMMMS the motor is probably jammed, when the circuit breaker trips it won't make sound.
I would check from the bottom, for the hole I mentioned above. Get a allen wrench and free the jammed materials. Spin it both directions until it feels clean, flush water and turn it on.
My has this issue now and then, I showed her how to fix it herself now :hammer2: so you can do :D

Desert Rat
09-16-2004, 08:59 AM
The damn thing aint workin.
Hit the switch, and I hear it hummm. Sounds like it wants to turn but cannot. On the bottom there is an allen bolt. I put the allen in there and it spins freely. What else to check?
Looks like time for a new one. Go with the Tim Allen V-Twin Harley version you won't be sorry. :eat:

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-16-2004, 09:02 AM
LOL!!
insinkerators are very good.
but in all actuality GD are bad but good for plumbers. :D

RiverToysJas
09-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Maybe there's something wrong.
RTJas :D

bordsmnj
09-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Looks like time for a new one. Go with the Tim Allen V-Twin Harley version you won't be sorry. :eat:
yeah! isn't that Binford 1700SC?!the one that doubles as a mulch maker/tree shredder with the enderly bird catcher on it? go big!