PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Licensing and/or Training - Initiate Contact?

Essex502
09-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Now that the overwhelming majority in the poll favor Mandatory Education and/or Licensing for boaters, what does everyone think on initiating contact with a State Congressperson or Senator? If we initiate the contact as concerned performance boaters do you think we can shape the rules and regulations to our favor?

Sleek-Jet
09-20-2004, 06:27 AM
Before I vote, are you talking about starting this on the state level, or the federal level??

Essex502
09-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Before I vote, are you talking about starting this on the state level, or the federal level??
Either....I'm just wonder whether it makes sense that if boaters start this action then just maybe we'll get someone to listen to our concerns about this before it becomes law...i.e. being pro-active.

Sleek-Jet
09-20-2004, 06:43 AM
Well yeah, we should be pro-active.
You've got my support.

Essex502
09-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Good to know. How about the other folks?

Essex502
09-20-2004, 10:52 AM
8 so far...any more...come on folks...

LakeRacer
09-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Well you know I would.

Keithb87
09-20-2004, 10:56 AM
At least a "Boater's Education" ...
When we bought our 1st Quad the dealer offered a "ATC training course" that was verry informative and helpfull.
Licensing would be a good thing.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-20-2004, 11:57 AM
I think if we as performance boaters try and get this started it will help us in a few ways. First off, they will see that we are just as concnerned as everyone else is when it comes to safety and th like. Secondly, by starting this on our own we might, and it's a big MIGHT, be able to to have greater say in what happens.

LakeRacer
09-20-2004, 12:07 PM
I think if we as performance boaters try and get this started it will help us in a few ways. First off, they will see that we are just as concnerned as everyone else is when it comes to safety and th like. Secondly, by starting this on our own we might, and it's a big MIGHT, be able to to have greater say in what happens.
This is partly why I decided to become a volunteer boating safety instructor. I wanted to be able to give back to the community, and at the same time be able to promote the idea that high performance boaters are concerned about safety. If you want to be taken seriously, you can't just bitch about it. You have to be proactive.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-20-2004, 12:08 PM
This is partly why I decided to become a volunteer boating safety instructor. I wanted to be able to give back to the community, and at the same time be able to promote the idea that high performance boaters are concerned about safety. If you want to be taken seriously, you can't just bitch about it. You have to be proactive.
I agree. Let me know who I should write to. It would be ncie if we could get the laws in AZ and CA consistent.

PlyaPlya22
09-20-2004, 12:10 PM
you can never go wrong with any type of education.

Essex502
09-21-2004, 06:09 AM
Only 14 votes ??? Are you guys indifferent? There were over 100 voters on the initial poll....14??

phebus
09-21-2004, 06:17 AM
I wonder......Of the states that have gone to mandatory liscensing, has it resulted in lower insurance rates?

fujimo
09-21-2004, 06:24 AM
In Michigan you had to take a boaters safety class to operate a boat if you were under 16. I don't no if they ever expanded it or not but it wae a good course. It coverd rules and regulations and cpr.

Essex502
09-21-2004, 11:30 AM
I wonder......Of the states that have gone to mandatory liscensing, has it resulted in lower insurance rates?
Ya' know..you would hope that would happen...but...in a free market society I would guess that the only way that insurance rates would drop is due to competition from a lot of "hungry" insurance companies that are willing to drop their rates to get business. I would doubt that rates would drop on their own. I have heard that insurance rates are lower if certain things are done...i.e. on board automatic halon extinguisher, depth gauges and boat safety class taking. But driver's license...naww....probably not.
In California, back in the 80's when Mandatory Auto Insurance went into effect...just the opposite happened...my auto insurance rate went up over 30%. No accidents. No citations. Nothing. Instant 30% leap on renewal.

Mandelon
09-21-2004, 12:06 PM
I agree that mandatory licensing would get rid of a lot of yahoos out there. It would kill the rental business, so there would be stiff resistance from them if they get organized in time.
Licensing could be performed within our existing DMV framework. The testing, the licensing and fee collection. The state will have to charge for the services, and you know that will be a way for them to add extra fees.
Next step would be to form a PAC, a political action committee, draft a copy of the regs and start pestering our congressman to introduce it.

Dr. Eagle
09-21-2004, 12:14 PM
If we leave it to somebody else to do, it will get hosed. Our illustrious legislative branch knows very little about that which they are charged to regulate.
That is why so many laws don't make much sense.
If something gets started, the manufacturer organizations (NMMA) and other interest groups (Boat US, AWA, Bluewater network... you name it), not to mention law enforcement will get in the middle of it. It (the issue) will probably bounce back and forth, different versions, etc... and chances are it'll never make the law books. But with boaters involved it just might.

TXXL
09-21-2004, 12:58 PM
I like the idea of initiating the contact, very pro-active.

Essex502
09-22-2004, 06:20 AM
I agree that mandatory licensing would get rid of a lot of yahoos out there. It would kill the rental business, so there would be stiff resistance from them if they get organized in time.
Licensing could be performed within our existing DMV framework. The testing, the licensing and fee collection. The state will have to charge for the services, and you know that will be a way for them to add extra fees.
Next step would be to form a PAC, a political action committee, draft a copy of the regs and start pestering our congressman to introduce it.
Good thoughts! What's it take to start a PAC?

Mandelon
09-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Money!!! But I think that's a problem. Who will stand to make money on this? Those would be the people who would want to help sponsor the legislation.
You know, make a big donation to the legislator, pay the lobbyist and the lawyers who would draft it...... :rolleyes:
I think this will be a tough row to hoe........I'd suggest a call to your local state representative just to ask some questions.

Essex502
09-23-2004, 05:40 AM
Money!!! But I think that's a problem. Who will stand to make money on this? Those would be the people who would want to help sponsor the legislation.
You know, make a big donation to the legislator, pay the lobbyist and the lawyers who would draft it...... :rolleyes:
I think this will be a tough row to hoe........I'd suggest a call to your local state representative just to ask some questions.
Money to be made...??? Only the printing companies for the licenses/certificates of completion of the courses. I think that if we got a legislator interested we'd get his office and staff to draft the legislation.