PDA

View Full Version : Was I Wrong?

Huckleberry
09-20-2004, 12:03 PM
I want to run something by everyone to see if what happened on Saturday was my fault, or the other guy who was just butt-hurt cause he was slower. Here's the circs...
We were heading up river toward the Sandbar. My boat has surface drives, so even at cruising speeds, it throws off a fairly high and long wall of water behind me. Seeing what is going on directly behind me is literally impossible. Before we entered the river, we had just run past a Carrera 257 deck boat (with a sausage party on board) at high speed. We were at least 100 yards to their left when this happened. There was also a 30' Kachina running with the Carrera. No problems at this point.
As we went upriver, we never saw the Carrera again. We did see the Kachina pull up along side of us and throw the shocker and motion for us to hit the hammer and let her run...So I did. Again, all was good at this point, and still no signs of Mr. Carrera.
As I approach Blankenship Bend, I take it right up the middle, as those who are familiar with the area know it is very shallow on the inside of the bend. I'm setting up to make a fly-by of the Sandbar. I look over my left shoulder, no one is there. It all clear ahead of me, so hammers down and let's fly.
I make the fly-by, turn around and am coming back to anchor when we see Mr carrera and the sausage party flipping us off and motioning us to come over there. I had no idea why they were pissed, so I motored over to see what was up. They claimed they were passing us on the LEFT AND OUTSIDE/UPRIVER side as we were making the turn around the bend. I took off and hosed them down. They said I did it intentionally to be an a$$hole, and basically wanted to fight. I truly never saw them, and would not have done it if I saw them there. I apologized profusely, but they were still butt-hurt. They drove away pissed off and wet.
After we anchored, I started to think about it more. I was in front of him. I had the right of way, not him. He was also passing on a blind curve, on the downriver side where anyone heading the other direction would be driving! If he wanted around me, he has to yield to me or make his intentions known to me. Hiding behind the roost of my boat doesn't cut it for making his intentions known. If he chose to pass me or get so close that he may be hit by the roost, then I believe it was on him, not me. I spoke with the driver of the Kachina a little later at the Sandbar. He saw the entire thing and said Mr Carrera was being a pussy because he couldn't keep up and ended up getting washed down.
Okay, I'm a big boy and am willing to admit if I was wrong. Was I okay with what I did, not know Mr Carrera was even back there? Or...Did Mr Carrera and his sausage party get butt-hurt cause the have to re-apply their hair gel to look bitchen?

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-20-2004, 12:07 PM
nope you were right, in fact do it again LMAO

Havasu_Dreamin
09-20-2004, 12:11 PM
If I understand it right, they were in the wrong.

Mrs.Racer277
09-20-2004, 12:12 PM
I want to run something by everyone to see if what happened on Saturday was my fault, or the other guy who was just butt-hurt cause he was slower. Here's the circs...
We were heading up river toward the Sandbar. My boat has surface drives, so even at cruising speeds, it throws off a fairly high and long wall of water behind me. Seeing what is going on directly behind me is literally impossible. Before we entered the river, we had just run past a Carrera 257 deck boat (with a sausage party on board) at high speed. We were at least 100 yards to their left when this happened. There was also a 30' Kachina running with the Carrera. No problems at this point.
As we went upriver, we never saw the Carrera again. We did see the Kachina pull up along side of us and throw the shocker and motion for us to hit the hammer and let her run...So I did. Again, all was good at this point, and still no signs of Mr. Carrera.
As I approach Blankenship Bend, I take it right up the middle, as those who are familiar with the area know it is very shallow on the inside of the bend. I'm setting up to make a fly-by of the Sandbar. I look over my left shoulder, no one is there. It all clear ahead of me, so hammers down and let's fly.
I make the fly-by, turn around and am coming back to anchor when we see Mr carrera and the sausage party flipping us off and motioning us to come over there. I had no idea why they were pissed, so I motored over to see what was up. They claimed they were passing us on the LEFT AND OUTSIDE/UPRIVER side as we were making the turn around the bend. I took off and hosed them down. They said I did it intentionally to be an a$$hole, and basically wanted to fight. I truly never saw them, and would not have done it if I saw them there. I apologized profusely, but they were still butt-hurt. They drove away pissed off and wet.
After we anchored, I started to think about it more. I was in front of him. I had the right of way, not him. He was also passing on a blind curve, on the downriver side where anyone heading the other direction would be driving! If he wanted around me, he has to yield to me or make his intentions known to me. Hiding behind the roost of my boat doesn't cut it for making his intentions known. If he chose to pass me or get so close that he may be hit by the roost, then I believe it was on him, not me. I spoke with the driver of the Kachina a little later at the Sandbar. He saw the entire thing and said Mr Carrera was being a pussy because he couldn't keep up and ended up getting washed down.
Okay, I'm a big boy and am willing to admit if I was wrong. Was I okay with what I did, not know Mr Carrera was even back there? Or...Did Mr Carrera and his sausage party get butt-hurt cause the have to re-apply their hair gel to look bitchen?
As a new boater I was told I should always know what is in front of me, behind me, to the left and right. Just as I did when I had jet skis and same applies while driving my car.
But to me it sounds like he was to close to the back of your boat in the first place if he got That wet. :hammer2:

MudPumper
09-20-2004, 12:16 PM
I would agree with everybody else, if he got wet, he was too close in the first place.

Huckleberry
09-20-2004, 12:18 PM
I would agree with everybody else, if he got wet, he was too close in the first place.
That's what I thought too.

NOTALENT
09-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey...its over a 100degree...hot as hell...your in the water...shit I would thank you.. :messedup:

BarryMac
09-20-2004, 12:27 PM
You did nothing wrong. As a matter of fact it was big of you to apologize for it.
Forensic
I agree, he was probably looking for a fight, too many men, not enough women on board = sausage party...
gjb

schlepy
09-20-2004, 12:30 PM
a bunch of soak sausage. ha ha ha

Kachina26
09-20-2004, 12:31 PM
I think you did ok, is your boat named "I'm your Huckleberry" ?
You even apologized.

RP1
09-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Yep, the sausage crew leader was wrong... outside and close around that corner was not to smart either.

Havasu Hangin'
09-20-2004, 12:38 PM
You have an Eliminator?
You were wrong. :notam:

jeepinscott
09-20-2004, 12:38 PM
As an owner of a slow boat, I would have at least confirmed eye contact before I drove through your roost.

topless
09-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Maybe he thought he was caught in a bad rain storm and was pissed at himself when he found out it was your roost. :eek: :eat:

TRIMM MANN
09-20-2004, 12:53 PM
F**k him :hammer2:
After the apology , he should have offered you a beer and told you, you had an awesome boat :2purples:

Mandelon
09-20-2004, 12:55 PM
The burden would be on the overtaking vessel (him) to make sure it was safe.....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-20-2004, 01:00 PM
I got soaked at CBBB and laughed my ass off (not as hard as Jeff did, though). I guess they were having a bad day. :coffeycup

Kilrtoy
09-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Are you sure it wasnt a Commander
here is one throwing the Rainbow Shocker
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111550DSC03155-small.jpg

diggler
09-20-2004, 01:41 PM
I hosed down another boater with my place diverter once on accident. I had just purchased it, and truly believed I was far enough ahead I wouldn't hit him. Well, I guess I got just the bow of his boat wet. He caught up later down river and was pissed as hell. I apologized, (and really meant it), to him and he ended up leaving after swearing at me a few times.
I guess if you do it unintentionally, and no real damage done, then maybe a real apology should suffice? I watch like crazy behind me now that I know how far I can shoot my rooster to ensure I don't nail anyone.

Keithb87
09-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Not your fault at all.. :)

RiverOtter
09-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Now that is a funny story!!

mike37
09-20-2004, 04:30 PM
LMAO
to bad there is no video

boatslayer
09-20-2004, 04:36 PM
You have an Eliminator?
You were wrong. :notam:
haha, come on hangin eliminators arnt that bad

Boatcop
09-20-2004, 05:22 PM
A boater is always responsible for their wake and any damage it may cause. The rooster tail/prop spray falls into that category.
You know the extent and distance of your prop spray. If you know that it will legthen at higher RPMs/speed, you must make sure their are no boats are within that area.
If another boat chooses to subject themselves to that area, that's their problem. But if they are outside of it, and you increase the area of the roost/spray, then the burden is on you.
If you are being overtaken, it's true that the other boater is the give way vessel and must alter course or speed to avoid a collision. But you, as the overtaken boat, are required to maintain your course and speed until the overtaking boat has safely passed.
The overtaking boat is allowed to pass on either side. Before making any course change, both the right and left rear corners should be checked to make sure no one is coming up behind you.
There is also the matter of taking a blind corner at high speed. (Hasn't anyone learned about that by now?)
This isn't a condemnation of your actions, or even saying it was absolutely your fault, since I really don't know where exactly the other guy was, what his speed was, or even what his intentions were. Only one side of the story.
If I saw this the way you described, you might have gotten a talking to, but I doubt I would have cited.

WUTWZAT
09-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Well here I go again opening my big mouth, I don't have a place divertor (yet). But I have been hit by a roost or two myself. I saw them coming but was too close in the turn, and just had to laugh it off. I felt it was my fault for being so close, when I saw the size of the roost and knew a turn was approaching. The guy even aplogized, I told him no problem, my bad. I could tell he felt bad but I told him not to stop the roost because of me...... This was at CBBB 04, I think his name was John he had the Ranger out of AZ. Cool guy, but I was in the wrong passing so close to a boat with a roost already up. It would be different it the roost suddenly appeared when I got close. :2purples:

coolchange
09-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Wow I'm glad Allen replied. I can't beleive so many don't think they are responsible for thier roost. :hammerhea

Jbb
09-20-2004, 05:49 PM
You are responsible for your roost or spray....I can understand that....but If the overtaking boat sees as he approaches the boat that its surface drives put up a wall of water ...and he knows he is in a position while entering a turn that he is gonna get wet......and gets wet.....and then gets mad .....cant he be cited for being a dumbass...?... :hammerhea

Kachina26
09-20-2004, 06:26 PM
You are responsible for your roost or spray....I can understand that....but If the overtaking boat sees as he approaches the boat that its surface drives put up a wall of water ...and he knows he is in a position while entering a turn that he is gonna get wet......and gets wet.....and then gets mad .....cant he be cited for being a dumbass...?... :hammerhea
The courts would be clogged with dumbasses, so they decided not to cite for being stupid.
:p :messedup:

Keithb87
09-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Aggrivated Stupiduity unfortunatly (or fortunatly for some) is not a charge that LE can cite for.. :p

Sportin' Wood
09-20-2004, 07:14 PM
God forbid you might get wet while boating.????
Damn near sunk a friend screwing around with the roost. I wont do that again. well maybe?

CornWater
09-20-2004, 07:44 PM
F**k him :hammer2:
After the apology , he should have offered you a beer and told you, you had an awesome boat :2purples:
I agree with this statement 110%.. Intent is everything. If you respond by apologizing, and attempting to square things up, that is all he could ask for. You did NOT do anything intentionally and his ego was bruised, so he went the tough guy route...Total B.S.... If it was me and you apologized we would have had a beer together, and talked about your rig.... :yuk: to them

Huckleberry
09-21-2004, 04:20 AM
I think you did ok, is your boat named "I'm your Huckleberry" ?
You even apologized.
Yep, that's me.

Huckleberry
09-21-2004, 04:44 AM
You know the extent and distance of your prop spray. If you know that it will legthen at higher RPMs/speed, you must make sure their are no boats are within that area.
If another boat chooses to subject themselves to that area, that's their problem. But if they are outside of it, and you increase the area of the roost/spray, then the burden is on you.
Are you saying that if I cannot see behind my boat because of the roost, that I must first come off plane to reduce the roost before I can then accelerate? Not realistic at all. If had done this, the guy was likely close enough to run over us!
If you are being overtaken, it's true that the other boater is the give way vessel and must alter course or speed to avoid a collision. But you, as the overtaken boat, are required to maintain your course and speed until the overtaking boat has safely passed.
I agree 100%, but...This takes into account that the other boater has made his intentions known to the vessel being overtaken, whether by sound signal, hand signal, eye contact... None of this occured between Mr Carrera and I.
The overtaking boat is allowed to pass on either side. Before making any course change, both the right and left rear corners should be checked to make sure no one is coming up behind you.
Again, I agree 100%. I DID check both corners prior to accelerating. Mr Carrera was not in the picture yet. I then checked ahead of me again to make sure there was a clear path ahead and accelerated. Sure, I could have looked back a second, third, fourth time. But realistically, what is ahead of you is much more important than what is following you. How much time do you really want to spend looking backwards when driving a boat? This seems to be a very common cause of many tragic collisions where the driver is looking backwards instead of paying attention to what is ahead of them.
If I saw this the way you described, you might have gotten a talking to, but I doubt I would have cited.
A talking to for 100% unintentionally washing down a jacka$$ who was too close in the beginning? What if I had done the exact opposite, and backed completely off the throttles? This moron would have been on top of us in no time! Would I still get the same "talking to?" This conversation would probably have to taken place in a hospital E/R or the morgue. The bottom line is Mr Carrera was following too close for the prevailing conditions, and had no business trying to pass on the bend when he made no attempts to make his intentions known.

Kachina26
09-21-2004, 05:39 AM
Yep, that's me.
I saw you in the channel, I wanted to stop but I wasn't sure. That is one bad a$$ ride. You can soak me in exchange for a ride on that thing :D :D :D

Essex502
09-21-2004, 05:50 AM
What if I had done the exact opposite, and backed completely off the throttles? This moron would have been on top of us in no time!
This sounds EXACTLY like what happened near Steamboat a coupla' weeks ago...lead boat backed off the throttle and their friends in the following boat ran over them - killing a woman.
I think from your description you did everything right.

beer hunter
09-21-2004, 06:05 AM
This sounds EXACTLY like what happened near Steamboat a coupla' weeks ago...lead boat backed off the throttle and their friends in the following boat ran over them - killing a woman.
I think from your description you did everything right.
I concur :D

PHOTOGLOU
09-21-2004, 07:07 AM
I concur :D
What if you would have stopped suddlenly to avoid an accident this upsets me too as I have surface drives. They can't see in front of you because of the roost, I don't think they knew the other side of it.

Boatcop
09-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Without being there I can't say for sure what I would have done.
It was you who said you were rounding the corner by the sandbar and kicked it up, which is what sprayed the other boat.
That's the part that looks the most unsafe, especially knowing that there would be other boats in that area.
There's been dozens of collisions at that bend. Many fatal.
You also said you only looked over one shoulder, and that the boat came up on the other side.
The rest of it is all basic navigation rules.
I didn't say you should bring it off plane to check what's behind you, but dropping it down a grand or so should have given you a better view of what was behind you.