PDA

View Full Version : Do not buy a Fabtech lift...

OC-PARTYCAT
09-20-2004, 12:57 PM
I just wanted everyone to know that my truck is going in tonight for
its second set of idler and pitman arms in less than 25k miles.. I have
the 8" lift on my truck and it sucks. The angles are too extreme and its
wearing em out fast. Not good at 500 bucks a pop. :burningm:

schlepy
09-20-2004, 12:58 PM
i have a fab tech lift and i love it. its a chevy problem not a fab tech problem. chevys HD idler and pitman arm suck..................

OC-PARTYCAT
09-20-2004, 01:01 PM
They should have dropped everything down like the good kits. Did you buy some aftermarket ones from fly-n-hi? What did you do to fix it?

Havasu_Dreamin
09-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Wouldn't one think that if Fabtech knows that their lift is causing this problem that they would adjust their lift kit? Afterall, it's aftermarket stuff, why would it be Chevy's fault?

OC-PARTYCAT
09-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Its not a chevy problem.. I think if you put that kind of angle on any joint its going to **** it up...

Quality Time
09-20-2004, 01:04 PM
There is no problem until the lift is installed, I think it's a FabTech problem for not including an engineered fix as a part of their kit. :eek:

schlepy
09-20-2004, 01:06 PM
fabtech is a drop down kit. even stock, the chevy idler goes out. i heard that the 05 chevy hd has a fix from factory, just waiting to hear from my friend at classic chevy to see when it comes in. i know that fabtech has a fix for the problem, try to contact gary woofter direct at fabtech and see what he recommends...

Waldo
09-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Why not contact Fabtech or the place that did the intall about this problem? Also, do you off-road with it? If you do, that in itself will cause a lot of stress.
I'm sure Ivan Dan could shed some light on this subject.
I replaced my Toyota idler arm a couple times...even the aftermarket one was destroyed.

NOTALENT
09-20-2004, 01:09 PM
I stick with CST..Good prices. Exellent Quality..same warranty..but better craftmanship

OC-PARTYCAT
09-20-2004, 01:15 PM
The truck has barely seen dirt. My brother has the cst kit on his truck and it is bad ass. they drop all the steering down. I called Fabtech and they pretty much told me I was shit out of luck and the problem is with Chevy not Fabtech. They also said that Fly-N-Hi makes some good replacements. I called them and was quoted somewhere around 800.00 for the set.
One of the techs over there said they have a fix and they are testing them out on a couple trucks. I offered my truck for testing of the parts and was denied. They should of dropped the steering down or not offered a kit at all in my opinion. I am only getting around 10k miles til I hit a bump on the road and the tires go back and forth uncontrollably until I either slam on the brakes to about 5mph or speed up to about 45mph....what a joke.

ChumpChange
09-20-2004, 01:19 PM
I second that FabTech blows. My ball joints were destroyed and my arms were cracked. My tires were falling off my truck because the kit tore my truck apart. 2001 Silverado in case you are wondering.

Kachina26
09-20-2004, 01:20 PM
i have a fab tech lift and i love it. its a chevy problem not a fab tech problem. chevys HD idler and pitman arm suck..................
Now that's funny! Someone changes the geometry that GM engineered into the vehicle and when things start breaking it's GM's fault. So I suppose if I move my fuel fills into the engine compartment I can sue the boatmaker when it blows up? Oh wait, bad example. GM's pitman arm handles the angle that GM designed it to work at just fine.
:hammer2:

schlepy
09-20-2004, 01:23 PM
it is fustrating, i had the same problem but got it fixed. i cant remember who fixed it but they are in mission viejo. if i remember i will post it. cost is around $500. Fly N Hi quoted my $2k for everything..... its almost donehttp://christruckpics007jpg

Sherpa
09-20-2004, 01:23 PM
wanna know what the "real" problem is:
it farking sucks.
get it-? IFS sucks...... period...... you should have taken your truck to
a reputable 4x4 builder who could have installed a dana 60 (with kingpins)
and never had a trouble afterwards......
IFS sucks....... that is all.
--Sherpa..

dicudmore
09-20-2004, 01:26 PM
lets see.....
they wear out in a couple months lifted, but go 100,000 miles on stock trucks.
Ya you're right, they do suck.

OC-PARTYCAT
09-20-2004, 01:27 PM
How many miles do you have since they fixed it?? They will be seeing you again soon Im sure and take another 500 from you.
I was like you..no big deal on the first fix, it cost me 500. Now Im going back for another bitch slap right on time..

schlepy
09-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Now that's funny! Someone changes the geometry that GM engineered into the vehicle and when things start breaking it's GM's fault. So I suppose if I move my fuel fills into the engine compartment I can sue the boatmaker when it blows up? Oh wait, bad example. GM's pitman arm handles the angle that GM designed it to work at just fine.
:hammer2:
the idler arm loosens on STOCK vechiles. i would put my fuel cell in the engine compartment if i owned a Kacochka. J/K

schlepy
09-20-2004, 01:31 PM
How many miles do you have since they fixed it?? They will be seeing you again soon Im sure and take another 500 from you.
I was like you..no big deal on the first fix, it cost me 500. Now Im going back for another bitch slap right on time..
actually chevy gave me a warranty. i would try anaheim chevy they are pretty cool about warranty issues.

Sleek-Jet
09-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Well, I've got 150,000 miles on my Blazer and everything is tight.
My brother has over 200,000 miles on his Chevy truck and nothing wrong there either.

OC-PARTYCAT
09-20-2004, 01:33 PM
There is no friggin way...If I pulled up at a chevy dealer with a 8" lift and 36" tires and told them to replace my pitman and idler arms under warranty..they would laugh me right out of the joint.

UnionJack
09-20-2004, 01:35 PM
I have the bulletproof 12" lift and I love it

schlepy
09-20-2004, 01:35 PM
There is no friggin way...If I pulled up at a chevy dealer with a 8" lift and 36" tires and told them to replace my pitman and idler arms under warranty..they would laugh me right out of the joint.
doesnt hurt to try, unless you like paying $500 everytime??? email me and i will give you a hook up..

OC-PARTYCAT
09-20-2004, 01:44 PM
I think im out of warranty anyways..My truck is a 02 crewcab/4x4/duramax and has about 65k miles on it now. Im dropping it off tonight to have it done with tires that are worn out now at 20k miles. As far as the 500 buck goes, I think fabtech needs to pick up the bill on that one or at least give me some hope like...send me the aftermarket parts (no charge) for the next fix in 10k miles. I not into screwing people over and I think they should feel the same way.

Garrddogg
09-20-2004, 01:50 PM
One word RCD (oh well three letters) :rollside:

dicudmore
09-20-2004, 01:51 PM
the idler arm loosens on STOCK vechiles. i would put my fuel cell in the engine compartment if i owned a Kacochka. J/K
lets see....those trucks came out in 2001, haven't changed a SINGLE pitman/idler on a stock truck.
Have changed some on lifted cars. You do the math :hammerhea

dicudmore
09-20-2004, 01:51 PM
One word RCD (oh well three letters) :rollside:
have seen better results with RCD...
still not as good as stock

Kachina26
09-20-2004, 01:57 PM
We would, but others don't care. And others are getting in trouble from GM. They know about how many claims you should have by comparing your dealer to like dealers.

ChumpChange
09-20-2004, 02:09 PM
The only dealership that would work on my truck was the dealership that I bought it from which sold it to me brand new and lifted.

hava life
09-20-2004, 03:24 PM
I agree ,RCD all the way. I was warned about Fabtec from a friend that races offroad and put a Fabtec on one of the chase trucks nothing but problems.