PDA

View Full Version : On getting an MBA

dgie
09-20-2004, 09:18 PM
I am pursuing an MBA and ready to dump the idea. The tests are ridiculous and nothing but math in every course, major burn out on the studying thing. Any thoughts on this subject, is this degree really of any use? most people I talk to say its useless.

j-rod
09-20-2004, 09:22 PM
I didn't think you needed an MBA to play basketball.. :argue:

dgie
09-20-2004, 09:26 PM
I didn't think you needed an MBA to play basketball.. :argue:
I will keep that in mind :rolleyes:

j-rod
09-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Keep up the good work and study hard, and you'll need a sense of humor, I barely graduated H.S. and type with one hand.. you don't want to know where the other hand is! :wink:

TCHB
09-21-2004, 06:07 AM
The MBA will help if you work for a large company that has a large HR group. HR people love to put MBA in the qualifications.

PHX ATC
09-21-2004, 06:15 AM
It's an exercise is paperwork only. Sure does look good on paper when you are applying and might set you apart from the others when you're in a pool of qualified candidates. If I were hiring you and some other folks, part of the hoops to jump through would be to look for past success and failures as well as education. If you've labored through the process of gettin an MBA and the others haven't, all quals equal after that, I'd pick you because you got the MBA.

Racer277
09-21-2004, 07:24 AM
Sure does look good on paper when you are applying and might set you apart from the others when you're in a pool of qualified candidates. If I were hiring you and some other folks, part of the hoops to jump through would be to look for past success and failures as well as education. If you've labored through the process of gettin an MBA and the others haven't, all quals equal after that, I'd pick you because you got the MBA.
I agree with this.
The larger the project, the further along in your career, this will be more important. On a small project, I look for real world experience from my managers. On a larger project (the mgr is dealing with C types) then the schooling, dedication, and letters mean much more. Don't know your age, but if you can keep a job while studying that is best. If you are young enough that you don't need a job, more power to you.
my .02

cal-air
09-21-2004, 07:40 AM
I am pursuing an MBA and ready to dump the idea. The tests are ridiculous and nothing but math in every course, major burn out on the studying thing. Any thoughts on this subject, is this degree really of any use? most people I talk to say its useless.
It's the best thing I ever did...............
There are plenty of statistics regarding the ROI of an MBA....do a google search on MBA ROI, and use this as a tool for your decision.

bigd1
09-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Folded up it makes a good coaster.

1978 Rogers
09-21-2004, 08:37 AM
Anything you can get that will make your resume look better is a good thing. I'm in the process of taking the LARE (Landscape Architect Registration Exam). This will alow me to desin more public projects and also opens more doors to me. The possiblity for more money is always good.
Chris

canuck1
09-21-2004, 08:57 AM
the only way to go IMO, I wouldn't hire you with out an MBA or equivilant experience(read older)

Dribble
09-21-2004, 09:07 AM
The wife is a high school graduate and has people with MBA's reporting to her. It's only useful if you do something with it.

Scream
09-21-2004, 09:15 AM
The wife is a high school graduate and has people with MBA's reporting to her. It's only useful if you do something with it.
Well, there's a notable quotable. Your education is one of your greatest assest in the business community. An MBA will open management doors in the future if not immediatly. From the burnout statement sounds like you're well into it and quite frankly you should consider it a waste if you don't follow through and complete it. A degree is just like any other major, long term goal. It's only good if you complete it and reach the top...
Scream

Big Warlock
09-21-2004, 09:58 AM
I learned more getting my MBA than anywhere else, minus experience. Lots of things came into focus during the years of going to night school. I now own a few companies in the Phoenix area and have over 200 employees. I can honestly say it was worthwhile. Stick with it. Change your schedule a bit. I used to do Saturdays during the winter. If your young, this is the time to get it done. With experience, you'll go far. Stick it out!!! That's my vote.

BajaMike
09-21-2004, 10:11 AM
DGIE...I'm surprised you say "math in every course"...mine only had math in the statistics class...it was tough....i squeaked through that class with a "C"....maybe a little math in the accounting.....but nothing hard.
I hated the stats class....I did pretty good on the rest.
Once the math is out of the way, you will probably breeze through.

cal-air
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
DGIE...I'm surprised you say "math in every course"...mine only had math in the statistics class...
I agree with this, I had two stats classes for mine.......that was the only math. Easy math at that, as we were allowed to use calculators. You're not there to learn how to come up with the numbers, you're there to learn what to do with the numbers.........how to analyze them.

Dave C
09-21-2004, 10:51 AM
professional designations make as much or more $$$$$$..
I would agree that MBA's look good on resume but that is not the only thing they look for

dgie
09-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the replies on this matter. I was told by the school today that I am taking all the hard classes twords the begining of the plan which is why I am getting bogged down. Statistics and Economics. I was told that there are only three that are on the analytical level those listed above and an accounting class. The rest are pretty much reading and test taking, which is what I do best in. So I guess I will stick it out, I am about a 3rd of the way thru the program and enjoy working on my boat more :D (but I can not put that on my resume.)

SandbarScot
09-21-2004, 04:04 PM
After getting a Bachelors in Bus Admin many years ago, I am also going back for a Masters degree. I did the same research as you and have abandoned MBA plans, as I work for county government. A management degree does not have as much math. If your going into management of a large organization, consider such a degree and forget the MBA with marketing, profitability, and all that crap.

Steamin' Rice
09-21-2004, 04:20 PM
It's an exercise is paperwork only. Sure does look good on paper when you are applying and might set you apart from the others when you're in a pool of qualified candidates. If I were hiring you and some other folks, part of the hoops to jump through would be to look for past success and failures as well as education. If you've labored through the process of gettin an MBA and the others haven't, all quals equal after that, I'd pick you because you got the MBA.
I agree.. An MBA may not necessarily teach you anything you don't already know, but if you work in the corprate world an MBA will help you out. It shows that you have the discipline to finish out the program and the get the extra degree..