PDA

View Full Version : Detailing my boat

Speedin' Ian
09-22-2004, 08:48 AM
So I bought a new to me boat and I don't think the previous owner ever waxed it. I would love to give it a good detailing but I don't want to mess anything up. I tried some 3m rubing compound in a small section and then followed it up with a Meguirs cleaner wax which seemed to work well. The problem is I was doing it by hand, and at that rate it would have taken me a week. I have a buffing wheel but I don't want to leave any swirl marks. Do you guys have any suggestions as far as techniques, products and what pads to use? Oh yeah the boat is a 25ft Commander so I would really like to avoid doing it all by hand!

little rowe boat
09-22-2004, 09:13 AM
PM John,Warlock 25 he could probably give you some good advice.

Mr.Havasu
09-22-2004, 10:08 AM
We have some of the best products available in America on our web site at
attn-to-detail (http://www.attn-to-detail.com)
The waxing frenzy should do the job for the most part, Shark tower works well on the transom and outdrive. If it needs buffing or wet sanding you might want to have a professional detailer do it. If you have the boat in Havasu I would be happy to look at it for you or schedule a detail.
Good luck and congrats on the new boat.
John

Speedin' Ian
09-22-2004, 10:15 AM
John do you think that your wax would restore the shine to our boat. When I tried just the Meguirs cleaner wax it would not bring back the shine, however when I combined the 3M product with the Meguirs it looked great. I definately don't think it needs to be wet sanded, it just needs to be hit with a mild cutting compound. I have seen what you can do with a boat and it is nothing short of amazing and I also have a guy out my way that has worked magic on my truck, but after dropping a lot of money on this boat and still having to put a stereo in it and service the outdrive I was hoping I could save a little dough and detail it myself.

Mandelon
09-22-2004, 10:32 AM
We have some of the best products available in America on our web site at
attn-to-detail (http://www.attn-to-detail.com)
The waxing frenzy should do the job for the most part, Shark tower works well on the transom and outdrive. If it needs buffing or wet sanding you might want to have a professional detailer do it. If you have the boat in Havasu I would be happy to look at it for you or schedule a detail.
Good luck and congrats on the new boat.
John
John:
Are you gonna be around this weekend? I'd love to pick up some supplies. We'll be in Havasu on Sunday....

Mr.Havasu
09-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Richard,
We will be here this weekend, hope to get a little time on the water, just call first to make sure we are home.(928) 486-3832 my cell.
Speedin Ian- The wax works better then anything else I have ever tried. If it can't bring back the shine then a light buffing might be in store. The waxing frenzy goes on easy, just apply a thin layer(the thinner the better) and dust off. It leaves no residue like most waxes. I mix about a 1/4 bottle of shark tower in the waxing frenzy when I need a little more of a cleaner wax. This combo is probably what you will need for your boat to bring back a deep shine. If you order on my website before 4:00 I will ship it out today.

HCS
09-22-2004, 10:52 AM
A case of beer and alot of elbow greese. Go easy with the buffer.
That'll get her done.

Speedin' Ian
09-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Well I think what I'll do is start polishing it by hand after work every night, that way I don't have to worry about screwing it up with the wheel. Then maybe next year before my major boating season starts I'll have some money again and can pay someone to do it for me.

HCS
09-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Well I think what I'll do is start polishing it by hand after work every night, that way I don't have to worry about screwing it up with the wheel. Then maybe next year before my major boating season starts I'll have some money again and can pay someone to do it for me.
My boat's small and it takes a whole day to rub out the gel coat.
That's just to polish it up good. Of course if I didn't drink the beer I'd get it
done quicker. But I kind of enjoy it. If I do it on a nice cool day if the fall
anyway. :cool: