PDA

View Full Version : Who owns a Chevy or GMC with the 6.0 engine?

goneboatin
09-22-2004, 04:08 PM
My friend's company has an '01 Chevy 3/4 ton longbed shop truck with the 6.0 engine. This last weekend he drove my '04 2500 crew cab and said my truck was a dog compared to his shop truck. I know a crewcab weighs more than the reg cab model but I've always though my truck was a little doggy. Are there any GM techs out there who might know if there was a run of 6.0s that had some software programming glitches making them less powerful. I drove an '04 Sub as a loaner when my truck was in for some warranty work, (a new exhaust system, mine used to gong as it cooled). The Sub had the 5.3; man, that thing was a rocket compared to my truck. What gives? I've got the bigger engine, more torque (360 ft. lbs.), more horsepower (300 hp), why is my truck so slow? And it uses gas like it's going out of style.

MudPumper
09-22-2004, 04:13 PM
You have to release the Emergency Brake before you drive. :jawdrop: :D

cdog
09-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Off the line the 3/4 ton has a shorter first gear that makes it slower from a stop.

phebus
09-22-2004, 04:28 PM
What rear end gearing do you have compared to what the other truck has?

Hallz
09-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Yes their updates.
I looked but can not find the link to the GM site that allows you to type in your VIN and it will tell you if there is one available for your truck.
One of the best Tech boards around is LS1 Tech they even have a truck forum.
You can have your truck perfesionaly tuned for about $2-300 and you should get some more out of it, deffinetly more than the dealer. Plenty of ways to get it moving. Take a look
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21
You can alwase put one of the STS turbo set ups on like a budy of mine did.

Second "PLACE"
09-23-2004, 08:41 AM
I have an '01 Chevy 2500 HD crew cab 4x4. I agree, they do comea little under powered.
This is an EASY fix. 2 stage flowmaster exhaust, (3 1/2 in.) a K&N air filter/intake, and a SUPERCHIP. The superchip makes a HUGE difference in mapping the EFI, and increasing horsepower.
I did all of the above mods mine last year, and WOW! Big difference, ESPECIALLY when pulling the boat. :rollside:
www.superchips.com

Dr. Eagle
09-23-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm just glad I got mine with the 8.1..... :hammer2: :D

Wally_Gator
09-23-2004, 08:49 AM
Update and or "Claibrations" can be checked for GM vehocles at the following link.
GM Vehicle Calibration Site. (http://calid.gm.com/vci/VINEntryPre.do)
Hope this helps..
Gator

gramps
09-23-2004, 08:53 AM
my wife has a '99 3/4 ton short bed 4X4 with the 6.0 and 4.10 rear end. she went up one size on the tires and we reprogramed the 'puter.........it's pretty damm quick even after 105,000 miles!!

100mbs
09-23-2004, 09:18 AM
I have a '04 2500HD Crew/Short bed. I noticed it beening a dog as well for that large of an engine. I agree i cant even make it to the river on a tank of gas.

UnionJack
09-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Sell it and buy a diesel... I would rather have a stock diesel then a lifted gas truck.... It like a priest with a big Dick, there's no point

Excessive Force
09-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Sell it and buy a diesel... I would rather have a stock diesel then a lifted gas truck.... It like a priest with a big Dick, there's no point
Ditto that...If your lifted, its the only way to go! You lose to much HP and TQ with larger than stock tires. I have a diesel on 38" meats and get 18 mpg! :smile:

UnionJack
09-23-2004, 09:36 AM
I am on 40's, and I get alittle less then that, and today I just ordered 22's like GP$

Excessive Force
09-23-2004, 09:37 AM
forgot to mention, only get that mileage w a programmer otherwise its 13-14mpg

UnionJack
09-23-2004, 09:41 AM
the edge chip is the S^*t, but the 6.0 liter is still faster then my truck, with the same chip

hoolign
09-23-2004, 10:17 AM
that 300 horse is not at the wheels, it has about 190 at the back tires, I got rid of the 01 and bought a diesel never going to buy another gas truck!..the 6 liters are all around shit motors in my opinion, but then again my trucks are probably run alot harder than yours.

Relaxalot
09-23-2004, 10:18 AM
I have 6.0's and 5.3's in HD , Denali, Suburban's. The 6.0 is one strong puller!!! Noticebly more torque and less shifting. I am guessing you have a clogged catalytic converter. It happened to me and you loose ton's of power and fuel consumption goes through the roof. A piece of ceramic breaks off after off roading, pothole attack, speed bump or ??? and lodges in the converter causing excessive backpressure and your symptoms. If you hear weird noises coming from under your truck it can help diagnose this. Good Luck

dicudmore
09-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I have 6.0's and 5.3's in HD , Denali, Suburban's. The 6.0 is one strong puller!!! Noticebly more torque and less shifting. I am guessing you have a clogged catalytic converter. It happened to me and you loose ton's of power and fuel consumption goes through the roof. A piece of ceramic breaks off after off roading, pothole attack, speed bump or ??? and lodges in the converter causing excessive backpressure and your symptoms. If you hear weird noises coming from under your truck it can help diagnose this. Good Luck
possibly, but ALMOST always a bad catalyst is accompanied with a "service engine soon" light on and a DTC of P0420 and or P0430
6.0 has never been known as a good-mileage engine. Little noisy when cold also :D

Relaxalot
09-23-2004, 10:45 AM
13.8 mpg non towing in combined freeway city driving. 04 Denali according to their computer.

dicudmore
09-23-2004, 10:51 AM
13.8 mpg non towing in combined freeway city driving. 04 Denali according to their computer.
13.8 is very good for a 6.0
I had a lot of customers avg more like 10 ;)

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
09-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Does yours have iron or aluminum heads. the ones with iron heads were the early production with a different crank and a few other changes. most noteable is the iron heads vs aluminum. currently there are 2 versions of the 6.0 offered. the lq4 325hp and the lq9 345 hp. the lq9 is the one in the ss silverado and the escalade. they are available in other vehicles as well. I suspect you have an early iron headed 6.0 300hp model and they are strictly for towing. BTW the only difference between the lq4 and lq9 is the compression ratio.
If you want some more power pull that 6.0 and stoke it to a 402 and then you should be able to burn the tires off the wheels. LOTS of potential with the 6.0. :)
Omega

Second "PLACE"
09-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Love my 6.0 after the SUPERCHIP/Flowmaster upgrade. I agree the Deisel has great mileage and lots of torque, but I can make it to the riv' from home with
about 3/4 of a tank pullin my boat. (about 247 miles).... But I'm not pullin' a 36' DAYTONA either. :D

100mbs
09-23-2004, 01:00 PM
When you added your SuperChip did make your truck not pass Smog anymore?
Is there a special program that you got on the chip?
Did you add a different Air Intake?
I am about 291 mles to Havasu from San Diego and I have to fill add some fuel to the tank in vital junction. I only tow a 20' boat.
Sorry for all the questions I just am really curious.
Love my 6.0 after the SUPERCHIP/Flowmaster upgrade. I agree the Deisel has great mileage and lots of torque, but I can make it to the riv' from home with
about 3/4 of a tank pullin my boat. (about 247 miles).... But I'm not pullin' a 36' DAYTONA either. :D

Second "PLACE"
09-23-2004, 02:38 PM
No problem.....The superchip will keep the vehicle within California Emission code standards. What it is, is actually a diagnostic hand-held scan tool used to retreive and store YOUR stock/factory EFI fuel map settings, fuel trim data etc. and "Download" the superchip software to your ECM. Your stock settings are kept inside the scanner, and may be Re-downloaded at anytime. You can
also read DTC's (check engine light codes) and re-calibrate your speedo to match oversized tires. A bargain for around $400.00 :D
In an answer to your question of intake, I DID do a K&N air intake ($62) but the chip and Flowmaster made the most significant power increase.
www.superchips.com

100mbs
09-23-2004, 02:47 PM
I see i thought you got the actual chip and not the Max Micro Tuner (Handheld piece).
What do you think your gas mileage is now with your mods?
No problem.....The superchip will keep the vehicle within California Emission code standards. What it is, is actually a diagnostic hand-held scan tool used to retreive and store YOUR stock/factory EFI fuel map settings, fuel trim data etc. and "Download" the superchip software to your ECM. Your stock settings are kept inside the scanner, and may be Re-downloaded at anytime. You can
also read DTC's (check engine light codes) and re-calibrate your speedo to match oversized tires. A bargain for around $400.00 :D
In an answer to your question of intake, I DID do a K&N air intake ($62) but the chip and Flowmaster made the most significant power increase.
www.superchips.com

sigepmock
09-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Ok I put in my two cents. I have an 03 25000HD crew cab 4x4 with the 6.0L and 4.10 gearing. It was a dog from the day I brought it home and only got worse when I put 285/75R16 tires on it(about 33 in tall). I put the K&N FIPKit on it and it helped, I installed a new y-pipe and 3 inch flowmaster cat back exhaust and it helped, and finally I installed the Hypertech Programmer(similar to the superchip). All three helped power, milage, and overall drivability but the one thing that they could not do was control the Torque Management. It's programming in the stock ECM that controls the actual throttle and timing regardless of what the pedal/driver are doing. I have seen downloaded graphs showing a driver asking for 99.8%(full throttle) and the ECM/Torque Management only allowing 63% throttle. It's GM's way of reducing warranty issues with their trannies(sorry just my opinion here).
I have since installed a Whipple supercharger on the truck and seen amazing increases in power but until just recently have I had the stock GM ECM reprogrammed to reduce the Torque Management(you can't completely remove it or it causes other problems). I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. The truck actually does what I tell it to now, it has great throttle response, great passing power, and is overall more driver friendly. Now I know the supercharger has a lot to do with it but based on conversations with others who have had the ECM reprogramed with out a S/C they too have reported the same improvements.
If I were to do it all over again(not including the diesel option) I would done the intake, exhaust, tires and then called Westers for a custom tuned ECM. They will take all your info., Burn an ECM for you, and send it to you. All you have to do is replace the stock ECM and send it back(core replacement).
Here's the link:
Westers (http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/)
I have talked to them and they are very helpful and for just a little more money than the Hypertech or Superchip you get a totally custom program. Either way you go. Good luck.
Chris

Second "PLACE"
09-23-2004, 03:21 PM
To be honest I havn't calculated my mileage yet. I've been to busy passin' deisels up the grades. :D Seriously though, it is a SUBSTANTIAL
power increase, and I don't feel I've lost much fuel range. I run 33 inch Tires,
and have no power concerns whatsoever.
My neighbor has a 2004 Excursion 6.6 deisel. This same kit gave him a 118HP increase & he has a 10" lift on 38s. Goes good pullin' his 30' Hallet.

goneboatin
09-23-2004, 04:03 PM
I've got 3.73's in the rear end, I put 20" wheels (32" tall), I've used the Hypertech programmer to calibrate the speedo. Really, I don't feel any difference with either the 87 or 93 octane programming, just more pinging on the 93 setting. I've comtemplated changing the exhaust but I must be getting old (41), but I kinda like it quiet in the cab. I've contacted Westers, but if they reprogram the computer, I need to run 93 octane gas all the time. I haven't seen any station that sells any gas higher than 91 octane anywhere near me other than the river. As for a diesel, that was my first choice, but once I drove the Q-steer, I was hooked, and they don't offer the Q-steer in the HDs. BTW my gas mileage is almost always about 10.5 to 11.5. On the way to the river I get about 14+ until I hit the Indio grade then by the time I get to the river I'm back to 12.5, but then again I running 75+ mph. Towing it's 10.5 if I drive fast or slow.