PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Patriots voting

1978 Rogers
09-23-2004, 09:13 AM
I heard this on NPR this morning on my way into work. Ex-Patriots are signing up to vote. They specifically talked about some of the men that moved to Canada to avoid being drafted for Vietnam. Why are they aloud to vote? They also talked about others that moved up to Canada because of marriage, work, etc.
I think this is BS. Ex'Patriots should not be allowed to vote. :mad:

09-23-2004, 09:53 AM
The liberal left wants their vote because they will vote Democratic. Piss on 'em.

Essex502
09-23-2004, 10:07 AM
If they did not give up their citizenship when they moved to Canada then they still are legal U.S. citizens. Whether or not they should be legal citizens is the real question.

ROZ
09-23-2004, 10:26 AM
If they did not give up their citizenship when they moved to Canada then they still are legal U.S. citizens. Whether or not they should be legal citizens is the real question.
I didn't think draft dogers were legally allowed back into the country because they are considered criminals?

Essex502
09-23-2004, 10:48 AM
I didn't think draft dogers were legally allowed back into the country because they are considered criminals?
They probably are guilty of draft dodging though need to be convicted but I'd bet there's some kind of statute of limitations involved...didn't Clinton go to Canada, or am I thinking of someone else?

Sleek-Jet
09-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Didn't Carter grant amnisty to all of those that avoided the draft??

ROZ
09-23-2004, 11:03 AM
I remember hearing within the last year that a couple of people came into the country to visit sick relatives(or something) and were arrested at the border. I think Dateline had another stry of a couple living in Canada who feared comming back because of legal action.

Essex502
09-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Upon a little investigation ... Clinton didn't go to Canada to avoid the draft but made extraordinary efforts to avoid it....the story is pretty interesting reading. Pulling lots of strings got him out of getting drafted.

eliminatedsprinter
09-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Didn't he tell his draftboard (falsely) that he was in ROTC or some such B.S.??

ROZ
09-23-2004, 01:09 PM
While I wasn't able to pull up the exact draft dodging guidelines, I was able to come up with about 25 statements from military quotes that state that there is no statute of litation for it. In AWOL instances I found that the crime is continues until the accused (30 days to 100 years) returns to duty or is captured...

1978 Rogers
09-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Upon a little investigation ... Clinton didn't go to Canada to avoid the draft but made extraordinary efforts to avoid it....the story is pretty interesting reading. Pulling lots of strings got him out of getting drafted.
It must be a party thing. Its' OK to draft dodge if you are or become a Democrat. It's bad if you below to another party. I got it.

v-drive
09-23-2004, 02:18 PM
When I came home from vietnam I knew a person that went awol after
basic and layed low for 2 years. and when they started the amnesty program he came out of his hole and they just let him out on a general discharge. I always felt that was chicken shit until I realized he was the one that had to look in the mirror everyday. I think alot of those guys were just allowed to come home. v-drive

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-23-2004, 05:43 PM
:yuk: :devil:

HighRoller
09-24-2004, 02:42 AM
I hope they bring back the draft because 90% of the liberals would make a run for the border!!!

eliminatedsprinter
09-24-2004, 07:57 AM
I hope they bring back the draft because 90% of the liberals would make a run for the border!!!
You are probably correct. However, right now the movement in congress to re-instate the draft is being led by the left. Ie the current bill's author Charlie Rangle. But I don't think their hearts are in it, because they are surely just using it as a scare tactic. Im sure it's just another phoney part of their demagoguery.

HighRoller
09-24-2004, 08:42 AM
I really don't understand that whole deal. Right before he did that, Rangle was on the TV bitching, moaning and whining about National Guard members (who did volunteer) being seperated from their families. Then he tried to scare everyone to death by floating a rumor the Bush administration was considering reinstating the draft. What a douche bag. :yuk:

eliminatedsprinter
09-27-2004, 12:08 PM
I really don't understand that whole deal. Right before he did that, Rangle was on the TV bitching, moaning and whining about National Guard members (who did volunteer) being seperated from their families. Then he tried to scare everyone to death by floating a rumor the Bush administration was considering reinstating the draft. What a douche bag. :yuk:
He (Rangle) is a fundementally dishonest flim flam man. He will say or do anything to stir up shi# and make things bad for Bush. He will do all he can to cause our country to fail as long Republicians hold the white house and control congress.