PDA

View Full Version : Self installed DirecTv

Boozer
09-26-2004, 04:37 PM
The installer flaked on me today so i went to circuit city and got the equipment myself.
I have everything up and set the elevation and tilt on the dish to the stuff specified byu the setup. However, I dont have a copmpass to get the azimuth set right. Anyone know what to do to get this thing running?

racecar.hotshoe
09-26-2004, 04:39 PM
do like I did find some one on your street and look at theres.......

NorCal Gameshow
09-26-2004, 04:41 PM
start the dish pointing south and move it until you get a signal..crude but it worked for me :wink:

hondajoey
09-26-2004, 04:51 PM
if you get a cheap compass its easy to get the azmuth set close,
when you move the dish make real small movements and let it sit for a second before you move it agian, and make sure you have the RG6 cable from the dish to the box

GlastronGuy
09-26-2004, 04:54 PM
On my old dish, the elevation was marked on the bracket.
As far as azmuith, do like the others said and move the dish while someone waches the signal meter on the TV.

Boozer
09-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Do you guys get signal from all 3 of the satelites?

GlastronGuy
09-26-2004, 05:04 PM
I had a single LNB.

racecar.hotshoe
09-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Do you guys get signal from all 3 of the satelites?
Nope

mickeyfinn
09-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Get a compass. It can be a real cheapee. Look at neighbors to make sure you are reading the compass correctly. Don't know if you are swapping out your cable or not but you have to run a seperate cable for the direct because of the way direct works. The signal is a much higher frequency than cable splitters use and they will screw the pooch. Once you have the signal its cake. Just follow the instructions, shouldn't take more than a half hour to get it all working. You should at least go back to direct and spring for a dual LNB dish. At least that way you can get two TV's working if you want to later without buying the expensive splitters and joiners.

Boozer
09-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Its a 3 LNB. I just found a satelite with it but it says wrong satelite. Where can i get a cheap compass?

MagicMtnDan
09-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Get a simple compass (probably at OSH or Sears or Sport Chalet) and go online for the satellite locations.
I did it myself and the only hard part is getting someone who can help you by looking at the TV calling out the readouts (settings).

Boozer
09-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Get a simple compass (probably at OSH or Sears or Sport Chalet) and go online for the satellite locations.
I did it myself and the only hard part is getting someone who can help you by looking at the TV calling out the readouts (settings).
Person in the house is on the home phone im climbing around the roof with my cell phone. Pat's (CEO) lending me a compass so it should make life much easier.

Cheap Thrills
09-26-2004, 06:33 PM
a good watch and your shadow will tell you which way is north.
or heres the cheapest compass you can get without leaving the house
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
1 sewing needle
1 magnet (maybe there is one on the refrigerator)
1 bowl of water
1 small piece of paper
WHAT TO DO?
Stroke the dull end of a needle across the magnet 60 times, going in the same direction each time.
Now place the small piece of paper on top of the water in the center of the bowl. Set the needle on top of the paper and gently move the paper to cause it to spin slightly. Make sure there is no metal near by (does the table you are working on have metal on it or under it?) Also make sure the magnet you used to magnetize the needle is at least 2 feet away from the bowl. If the paper gets stuck to the side of the bowl, gently nudge it toward the center again.
Now, wait. What is happening? When the needle and paper have stopped moving completely, the sharp end of the needle is pointing north. You can prove this compass is really pointing north by setting a manufactured compass nearby. Don't set the two compassed too close to each other because they will interfere with each other.
C.T. :wink:

ROZ
09-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Person in the house is on the home phone im climbing around the roof with my cell phone. Pat's (CEO) lending me a compass so it should make life much easier.
Holy sheit! Run while you can if Pat is your neighbor... LMAO!!!
I did what Glastron Guy did....

jenndon
09-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Boozer...make sure your on satellite A 101 deg and transponder 1 for a true signal reading......

Boozer
09-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Wow! I did not know MacGeyver was on the boards...
Needless to say I have a compass Thanks to Pat. I'll have this bad boy up and running tomorrow.
a good watch and your shadow will tell you which way is north.
or heres the cheapest compass you can get without leaving the house
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
1 sewing needle
1 magnet (maybe there is one on the refrigerator)
1 bowl of water
1 small piece of paper
WHAT TO DO?
Stroke the dull end of a needle across the magnet 60 times, going in the same direction each time.
Now place the small piece of paper on top of the water in the center of the bowl. Set the needle on top of the paper and gently move the paper to cause it to spin slightly. Make sure there is no metal near by (does the table you are working on have metal on it or under it?) Also make sure the magnet you used to magnetize the needle is at least 2 feet away from the bowl. If the paper gets stuck to the side of the bowl, gently nudge it toward the center again.
Now, wait. What is happening? When the needle and paper have stopped moving completely, the sharp end of the needle is pointing north. You can prove this compass is really pointing north by setting a manufactured compass nearby. Don't set the two compassed too close to each other because they will interfere with each other.
C.T. :wink:

CEO
09-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Well are you watching DTV yet?