PDA

View Full Version : Oakland pussies ditch dui for illegal immIgrants

Rexone
09-27-2004, 12:08 PM
From Oakland Tribune...
Oakland police halt DUI checkpoints
Immigrant activists say roadblocks discriminate against those without licenses
By Heather MacDonald, STAFF WRITER
OAKLAND -- Oakland police officers have stopped setting up roadblocks to check whether drivers are under the influence because of a rash of complaints from the Latino community and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente.
The checkpoints, which allow officers to demand licenses and proof of insurance, are an effective way to get drunken drivers off Oakland's streets, city leaders agree. But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law.
"These checkpoints make people's lives miserable, not make them safer," said Jesus Rodriguez of Oakland Community Organizations, which filed most of the complaints about the checkpoints. "I've watched while the police have towed away cars (full) of groceries, leaving children crying on the sidewalk."
The complaints and pressure from De La Fuente, who represents the largely Latino Glenview-Fruitvale district and plans to run for mayor in 2006, prompted police Chief Richard L. Word to order his officers to hold off on any more DUI checkpoints while new guidelines are drafted.
"The checkpoints are a great tool for law enforcement," Word said. "We'll develop a better focus on drug hot spots and stopping sideshows."
However, the month-long moratorium on checkpoints has outraged Councilmember Larry Reid (Elmhurst-East Oakland), who calls the change a threat to public safety.
"It is absolutely insane to stop these checkpoints," Reid said. "I would not want to explain to a mother why we stopped doing these checkpoints when we know they work and her son or daughter was killed."
Reid also criticized elected officials for "micromanaging" the police department, although he did not single out De La Fuente for blame. Reid and De La Fuente are usually on the same side of issues before the council and recently worked together to propose a measure to raise taxes to hire more police officers.
The new checkpoint guidelines, which are not final, may call for police to notify Latino community organizations of the time and location of coming checkpoints. The checkpoints will be held after the evening rush-hour commute and rotated throughout the city, officials said.
"It's simple common sense," De La Fuente said. "You don't want to stop
people going to or from work. If there are kids in the car, give someone an opportunity to call someone to pick up their kids rather than create chaos."
Legislation that would have allowed illegal immigrants who submit to background checks to apply for a California driver's license was vetoed this week by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Both Word and De La Fuente supported the legislation.
While officers have some discretion, the cars of unlicensed drivers are usually towed. To get their cars back, owners must pay $125, plus any storage fees. That is a significant burden to many illegal immigrants, Rodriguez said.
Reid said he has little sympathy with Rodriguez's position.
"I don't care if they are illegal immigrants," Reid said.
"They should not be driving on our streets without a license, without insurance. I expect the Oakland Police Department to do its job and get them off the street."
The council is expected to take up the issue at its Oct. 19 meeting.
--------------------------------------------------
This whole state is going to shit. That they should let dui drivers go unabated on their way to hurt and kill people so as not to offend the latinos that are here ILLEGALLY - HELLO YOU LAME ASSES! I find totally unacceptable.
shit never mind, this stuff really pisses me off to no end... bunch of friggin pussies running our state and cities. Follow the laws you IDIOTS. :burningm:

NastyOne
09-27-2004, 12:12 PM
What a crock of shit this is. I will gladly wait in a 2 hour line just to get some pos illegal out of the country.

OGShocker
09-27-2004, 12:22 PM
This whole state is going to shit.
I think has GONE to ShIt is more like it. :burningm:
You ready to move? We can pack our bags and be at the lake in four hours. :idea:

jackpunx
09-27-2004, 12:24 PM
just wait till one of those guys hits his car with no licnese and ins.. He'll change his tune..

Her454
09-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Mike, just curious if you want me to start sending you the Mullet Mountain Gazette for your readings?
Do you not have enough crime down there in your neck of the woods that your forced to read the Oakland Trash...? LOL :D

burtandnancy
09-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Mike, isn't that the same reason the INS/Border Patrol had to back off? Its called PROFILEING. I'm sure glad we don't have Iraq, Iran, Syria etc on our border...

Nubbs
09-27-2004, 12:45 PM
That's pathetic. Since when do illegals matter? They shouldn't even be here.

Rexone
09-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Mike, just curious if you want me to start sending you the Mullet Mountain Gazette for your readings?
Do you not have enough crime down there in your neck of the woods that your forced to read the Oakland Trash...? LOL :D
I actually don't read the Oakland paper but heard this on KFI radio on the way to work today so I searched it and sure enough.... lame bastards.
I'd probably like the MM Gazette much better, you guys prolly deal with these issues in a slightly more appropriate manner on MM. :D

Some Kind Of Monster
09-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Immigrant activists say roadblocks discriminate against those without licenses
No shit? They also discriminate against drunks!

coolchange
09-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Once they get away with it in Oakland whats next? Beaumont???

God
09-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Hispanics "illegals" as you call them, are humble people. I love humble people. There are NO borders. The earth is everyones. You must learn to assimilate your existence with that of other races and cultures. Borders create animosity and resentment. Drunk drivers expose themselves. They are caught by virtue of their actions and not by roadblocks. Roadblocks are an excuse. The excuse might be drunk drivers but the underlying agenda is to keep tabs on all people and their habits. Freedom is important. Roadblocks generate more tickets to honest drivers for flimsy reasons than they put drunks behind bars.
Me bless.

eliminatedsprinter
09-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Talk about doing the right thing for the wrong reason. It's OK to tie up traffic and treat U.S. citizens like we are all guilty of something wrong. But god forbid we bother the illeagals.... :cry: ...... :notam:

Her454
09-27-2004, 01:06 PM
I'd probably like the MM Gazette much better, you guys prolly deal with these issues in a slightly more appropriate manner on MM. :D
Nothing like "Mountain Justice". My first 4 husbands are in the bottom of a mine shaft..........somewhere............ :)

Wet Dream
09-27-2004, 01:29 PM
I don't believe what I'm reading. Wait, its from California. Yes, I believe it now. But everyone loves it there and lets everyone else make the voting decision for them. :hammerhea

eliminatedsprinter
09-27-2004, 01:37 PM
I don't believe what I'm reading. Wait, its from California. Yes, I believe it now. But everyone loves it there and lets everyone else make the voting decision for them. :hammerhea
We love the weather. :cool: . We endure the politcs. :messedup:

mirvin
09-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Can't we pass a law that would force law enforcement to enforce the laws that were already passed??
Wait, that doesn't sound right........
mirvin :mad: :confused:

Captain Dan
09-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Drunk drivers expose themselves. They are caught by virtue of their actions and not by roadblocks. Roadblocks are an excuse. The excuse might be drunk drivers but the underlying agenda is to keep tabs on all people and their habits.
I'm a little intimidated here, I guess I didn't know that GOD was monitoring our boards - he could have helped a little with acting as moderator on the east coast/west coast thing.
Yes, drunk drivers expose themselves, but they may kill someone in the process. Citizens of this country are required to have driver's licenses, (and insurance), yet we don't want to insult the aliens by asking for ID/license and proof of insurance?
This thing in Oakland is outrageously stupid.

clownpuncher
09-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Hispanics "illegals" as you call them, are humble people. I love humble people. There are NO borders. The earth is everyones. You must learn to assimilate your existence with that of other races and cultures. Borders create animosity and resentment. Drunk drivers expose themselves. They are caught by virtue of their actions and not by roadblocks. Roadblocks are an excuse. The excuse might be drunk drivers but the underlying agenda is to keep tabs on all people and their habits. Freedom is important. Roadblocks generate more tickets to honest drivers for flimsy reasons than they put drunks behind bars.
Me bless.
Yeah, right.

Danhercules
09-27-2004, 02:11 PM
I think this is just a cover, Rex has a sweat shop of illegals workin in his shop making all his parts!
Just Kidding Rex!!! ;)

Kilrtoy
09-27-2004, 02:11 PM
But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law.
My favorite line, YOU BROKE THE LAW BY COMING INTO THIS COUNTRY ILLEGALLY JACKASS, You dont belong here......

Rexone
09-27-2004, 02:46 PM
I think this is just a cover, Rex has a sweat shop of illegals workin in his shop making all his parts!
Just Kidding Rex!!! ;)
Incorrect. We only have them make the stuff we ship to Norco and Bomont. :D

Danhercules
09-27-2004, 03:07 PM
DOH!!!! No wonder why it taking so long to get a catalog, ya got to translate it to english. :rollside:

bocco
09-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Yup, illegal takes on a whole different meaning when you put it in front of the word immigrant.

God
09-27-2004, 04:47 PM
You are all immigrants. It is NOT your land. It is where you are until you expire. You better find a way to integrate all cultures and remove borders or you will be in a huge line at the pearly gates. The police can find drunk drivers much easier than roadblocks if they really wanted to catch them. Roadblocks are exercising power. They have nothing to do with immigrants nor drunks. Please look beyond your noses. Thanks in advance.

Rexone
09-28-2004, 03:05 PM
No offence God but it appears Jerry Brown got the message (he must read the forum lol)..... in todays Oakland Tribune....
Oakland DUI checks back on
Mayor orders return of DUI stops
By Heather MacDonald, STAFF WRITER
OAKLAND -- Mayor Jerry Brown on Monday ordered the on-again, off-again vehicle checkpoints back on track, calling the stoppage "a dumb idea."
Oakland police officers will restart the roadblocks next week, despite complaints from the Latino community and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente (Glenview-Fruitvale). The last checkpoint happened more than a month ago.
"The so-called moratorium is hereby terminated," Brown said Monday. "The whole thing was a dumb idea."
According to law enforcement officials, the checkpoints are an effective way to get drunken and unlicensed drivers off Oakland's streets.
However, the roadblocks also swept up dozens of illegal immigrants without licenses or insurance, leaving many without transportation to get to work or the grocery store and causing hundreds of dollars in fines and fees.
"I wanted to make sure we were doing the checkpoints up in the hills and down in the flatlands," De La Fuente said. "I wanted to make sure it was equitable."
Brown said he ordered a review of the whole issue, and directed police Chief Richard L. Word to put together a full report.
"You don't make policy in the bowels of the police department," Brown said.
Word said the department stopped doing the checkpoints while new rules were developed in conjunction with the community and De La Fuente.
"I wouldn't call it a moratorium," Word said. "I would call it a rethinking."
Councilmember Larry Reid (Elmhurst-East Oakland) praised the decision to resume the checkpoints. Last week, Reid said the police department's failure to run the checkpoints was a threat to public safety.
"I want the law enforced across the board," Reid said. "If you have no license, no insurance, and you get stopped, your car will be towed."
Under the new guidelines, Oakland police will notify the public of the general area of the checkpoint, and set it up after the evening rush-hour commute. In addition, the roadblocks will be rotated throughout the city, Word said.
"To do more than that would defeat the purpose of the checkpoints," Word said. "But we also need to be sensitive to the community."
Word credited the checkpoints, funded with state grant money, for helping to reduce the number of fatal accidents in Oakland, down 22 percent this year from 2003. Five of the last six fatal accidents involved unlicensed drivers, he added.

sintax
09-28-2004, 04:12 PM
But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law.
My favorite line, YOU BROKE THE LAW BY COMING INTO THIS COUNTRY ILLEGALLY JACKASS, You dont belong here......
Not to mention the fact that if these "illegals" are driving, they are also breaking the law by driving with out a license.
But they are all law obeying non-citizens.
-Scott

SHOTKALLIN
09-28-2004, 04:36 PM
First off, I find it hard to believe that none of the drunk drivers were illeagal aliens. Secondly, its against the law to drive a vehicle without or on a suspended license. Ca law says your vehicle gets impounded for 30 days. PERIOD. There is no clause that says unless you are an Illeagal Alien. I feel sorry for the the cops in Oakland. Next they will try to take away their guns and handcuffs, for fear that an Illeagal might be shot or arrested while enforcing the law. I guess the city of Oakland is too close to Berkley.
Just my 02.
GOD did I see you Launching a pink paddle boat at the Berkley marina?

God
09-28-2004, 09:06 PM
No. I have one of those blow up bananas and a paddle. I'm working on my pecs. Besides...chicks dig big bananas.

Krazy K
09-28-2004, 11:56 PM
I wonder if Canada has this problem??