PDA

View Full Version : SimCity Classic (aka MS-DOS version)

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 01:33 PM
I love my computer very much but it won't play one of my favorite games, SimCity, cuz it isn't MS-DOS capable :cry:. I received a tip in my e-mail that I can play the SimCity Classic game ONLINE!! I played it last night and it's very cool. :cool: Now if I could just find Brix online I'd be one happy camper! :D
Here's the link if anyone else wants to check it out
SimCity Classic On-line (http://simcity.ea.com/play/simcity_classic.php)
It's missing some of the features of the MS-DOS version but it's still recognizeably SimCity Classic. :cool:

572Daytona
09-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Dos games, did someone say Dos games? I still run lots of them and make sure that each new system I buy is compatible. You might want to try DosBox which is an open source project for running dos games on older systems, SimCity is showing as supported: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
A little glimpse of my collection. I have SimCity Classic as well as the original sim city from 1989 (need a 5.25" floppy to run that one) :mix:

Tom Brown
09-27-2004, 01:46 PM
1989... those were the days... you could run your business on a PC that had about an order of magnitude less RAM and CPU power than my PDA.
Bedford Accounting, Harvard Graphics, Lotus 1-2-3, WordPerfect...
... and store it all on a 40 megabyte hard disk.

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Dos games, did someone say Dos games? I still run lots of them and make sure that each new system I buy is compatible. You might want to try DosBox which is an open source project for running dos games on older systems, SimCity is showing as supported: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
A little glimpse of my collection. I have SimCity Classic as well as the original sim city from 1989 (need a 5.25" floppy to run that one) :mix:
I'm downloading DosBox right now! :D OMG if this works and I get to play BRIX again ... well folks don't miss me too much! ;) :D Thank you so much 572D! :D :cool:

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Holy cow you gots lotsa games 572D! :supp: :cool:
I jumped the gun a little. :( I can't download DosBox or maybe I can but I don't get what the requirements mean ... :confused: I was re-directed to here LinuxMind (http://dboxfe.linuxmind.de/) and now I think I can't download it :cry: .

572Daytona
09-27-2004, 01:57 PM
1989... those were the days... you could run your business on a PC that had about an order of magnitude less RAM and CPU power than my PDA.
Bedford Accounting, Harvard Graphics, Lotus 1-2-3, WordPerfect...
... and store it all on a 40 megabyte hard disk.
And you had to have a connection to ARPANet and rec.boats if you wanted to waste your days posting messages about boating. You probably get over 40megs per hour now of (.)(.) being posted on Havasubarney.com :p

572Daytona
09-27-2004, 01:59 PM
Holy cow you gots lotsa games 572D! :supp: :cool:
I jumped the gun a little. :( I can't download DosBox or maybe I can but I don't get what the requirements mean ... :confused: I was re-directed to here LinuxMind (http://dboxfe.linuxmind.de/) and now I think I can't download it :cry: .
Did you select the Windows Win32 installer version from the downloads page? I know how badly you wanted the Debian woody version but that probably won't work with your hardware :D

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Did you select the Windows Win32 installer version from the downloads page? I know how badly you wanted the Debian woody version but that probably won't work with your hardware :D
LMAO! :o So I missed a crucial step somwhere hmm? :idea: I didn't see a link for anything resembling Win32. :o I'll go look again. :redface:

Tom Brown
09-27-2004, 02:08 PM
I preferred Debian's Potato but these days, it's all about Gentoo. :cool:

572Daytona
09-27-2004, 02:19 PM
LMAO! :o So I missed a crucial step somwhere hmm? :idea: I didn't see a link for anything resembling Win32. :o I'll go look again. :redface:
Try here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.61-win32-installer.exe?use_mirror=umn
If that doesn't work for you I can upload it to Tom's server for you to download. I think he just added another 40meg mfm drive so there should be plenty of space there

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Found it. Downloaded it. Now it wants me to mount c drive :eek:. How do I tell it I'm a chick and can't mount a damn thing?! ;) :D

572Daytona
09-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Do a mount c c:\simcity (or whatever directory simcity is in)
then do c:
then type simcity (or whatever the name of the bat file is that starts up simcity)

572Daytona
09-27-2004, 02:32 PM
:D
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~daytona/simcity.gif

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Whatever I'm doing I'm doing it wrong I get as far as successfully (who knew? :supp: ) mounting c drive to C:\SIMCITY but after that I'm screwing up somehow. Seems no matter what I type I get illegal file name error message. I just wanna play a favorite old game. :confused:

572Daytona
09-27-2004, 03:05 PM
After mounting C and changing to the c drive, type dir to see the list of files and look for a .bat file, For the version of Sim City that I have it was sim256.bat so I had to type sim256 to start it up

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 03:13 PM
The file path is c:\SIMCITY\SIMCITYW\SWC.EXE so what am I supposed to do with this screen now? :confused:

572Daytona
09-27-2004, 03:36 PM
It looks like that is the Windows (not Dos) version of Simcity which probably won't run under Dosbox. I think I have that version as well, let me install it and see if I can get it to work.

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 03:47 PM
It looks like that is the Windows (not Dos) version of Simcity which probably won't run under Dosbox. I think I have that version as well, let me install it and see if I can get it to work.
Just two minutes before you posted I skeptically double clicked the shortcut to SIMCITY icon and it worked without using dosbox. :o However I still can't get Brix to work, lol, figures. Thank-you for helping me so much lately 572Daytona. :cool: :) Your patience and tolerance amaze me! I don't mean to be such a pain in the ass I really don't. :o

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 03:52 PM
I GOT IT TO WORK!! I have BRIX!!! Yay!!! :D :D :D Goodbye Sandbar I'll miss you guys in those crucial seconds between Brix levels. :D ;)

572Daytona
09-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Congrats! I've never played Brix, it looks like something on the idea of Tetris which I was never that good at. I got Sims2 for my daughter last week and it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade her computer to run it, the upgrades never end.

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Brix is not like tetris IMO I hate tetris I suck at that game! LOL! Brix is timed puzzles. Gotta figure out which objects to move and when, in order to make all the objects disappear to clear the level and go to next level. No falling objects unless it's a level that flips upside down every 30 seconds (those are tricky). I already got stumped tonight on a level that gave me grief the first time I ever played and now I can't remember the trick to beating the clock, lol! I'll figure it out again! Later tonight. :)
I've seen the demo of Sims2 - it looks incredible! I have The Living Large version of the Sims and I love it! I'd really like to try out the Sims2. What kinda requirements does it have in order to play? I'm considering giving myself more RAM and a bigger HD for Christmas and/or my birthday. :idea: :D

572Daytona
09-27-2004, 05:06 PM
The specs on Sims 2 is min 800mhz processor, 256Mb ram and a DirectX 9 video card, i.e. Radeon 7200 or GEForce2 or greater. I was all set on my daughters with the exception of the video card where she is still using a Voodoo3. I was able to get it installed and running on my wifes computer but I still had issues since EA has blacklisted certain CD Copying programs and refused to run until I uninstalled some of them, talk about big brother :rolleyes: But it's running and my daughter is happy, although my wife has to fight her for computer time, I'm sure she will ok an upgrade very soon that way though to get her own PC back :rollside:

FMluvswater
09-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Nothing like having to share as a motivator to help someone else get ahead! :D Sharing a puter feels so wrong when you just aren't used to it. It's rough for me sometimes when my son wants to use mine ... I'm also worried he's gonna do something to make it not work (he has a knack for accessing files and changing settings without permission :eek: first time he did that he was 16 months old and my ex saw just in time a prompt box worded something like "Are you sure you want to reformat c:\ drive?" :eek: ) To this day we don't know how he did that. He was in a dos keyboard banger game for babies and he would have had to choose lots of different options just to get out of that program nevermind how he got into control options, lol. Best we can figure he was watching his Dad before and just memorised the screens and keys to press ... but still! :supp:
Sharing can be scary. :eek: