PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Service

Speedin' Ian
09-27-2004, 04:19 PM
As some of you may already know we recently bought a new (to us) boat with a 502EFI and a Bravo 1. Over the winter I plan on having the outdrive serviced, but I would like to know what I can do now to help prevent any damage before I have it gone through.
Everything seems to work fine and the oil looks good (green with no metalic look to it) but is there any zirc fitttings I should grease? Should I change the oils anyway, and with what type of oil? How do I drain the oil, and what should I look for in the oil? Is there a water pump in the outdrive like in my Alpha1? Or does it have an external water pump like our tournament boat?
The Belows and all the other rubber looks good, but I think it is all original (ten years old) so I'm sure we should have it replaced. Thanks for any advice you can lend.

dicudmore
09-27-2004, 04:22 PM
merc gear lube avail at west marine in TO (I forget where they are exactly)
pull the prop and you'll see the drain plug. pull the vent plug out the top of the drive as well and it'll start coming out.
takes about 2 qts to service...
fill via pump from the bottom, fluid will start to come out the vent hole, put the vent plug back in, couple more pumps till you see fluid level come up in the reservoir, reinstall drain plug (won't lose much) then top off at reservoir...

Speedin' Ian
09-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks dicudmore, sounds easy enough! Now what about greasing any zirc fittings, and what type of grease should I use?

phebus
09-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Did the previous owner have the maintenance records? If so, check to see when it was last serviced. If it was already done this season, and it hasn't seen many hours, I would call it good if you are servicing it this winter anyway. And no, there is no impeller in it like an alpha.

dicudmore
09-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks dicudmore, sounds easy enough! Now what about greasing any zirc fittings, and what type of grease should I use?
there are some that should be visible... side of the drive. couple up in the steering also. I prefer to pay for that 'cause on some boats they're a bitch to get to :(
I think marine type grease (from parts store) out of the grease gun ok, there are also fittings to be lubed when the drive is off (which should be done periodically to check alignment)

Sherpa
09-27-2004, 04:57 PM
I'd call around and buy a manual for the engine/outdrive, and go from there.
nothing like knowing exactly how your equipment is put together......
--Sherpa