PDA

View Full Version : Question: Private Schools vs Public Schools......

RiverOtter
09-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Since most of you peeps are West Coasters I am curious. Do you put your kids (elementary age) in public or private schools? I am in TN and our public schools are ranked at the bottom of US and worse than that the county I live in is ranked at the bottom of the list in TN. That means our public schools are the worst in the Nation!!!! I spend $20,000+ per year on my 2 kids for freakin elementary education. Not to mention our property taxes are 2 times the national average!!! Our public schools are so bad that over 30% of the kids in our county are in private schools. What is it like out there? Are we unique?

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-28-2004, 10:55 AM
I don't know what we rank on the list of public schools.. but we do put our kids in private school here.. they go to a christian school. The education they get at the school is very high and they are actually way above average compared to public here. :shift:

Waist Deep
09-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Our daughter who is 9 goes to a private christian school here in H.B.. Fourth Grader and is way ahead of friends in a public school.
Had been asking the public schooler some spelling @ the river this past weekend and could not spell for s###. Whale ???? Thats wrong. Shoot, she could not even get past the first four letters of television. Granted, the parents have alot to do with it, but these schools here suck.

MsDrmr
09-28-2004, 11:26 AM
I went to a public school, as does my son. To be honest, I find there is less that goes on in a public school than a private school, they just have a way to keep everything hush hush.
If money were no option, I would keep my son in public school and if needed hire a private tutor for the extra one on one attention that he may need.

simple
09-28-2004, 11:40 AM
As a product of the Private School system, I know many of the pros & cons:
PROS:
1/ Most students can add, subtract multiply & divide in their heads thru the times tables.
2/ Most can write a story knowing there is an Introduction, Body & Close paragraphs in that order.
3/ Most learn to respect authority
4/ Most go onto college but that doesn't mean they will finish
5/ Excellent School Unity even thru their Alumni programs
CONS:
1/ Don't have the financial resources to set up nice PC labs & Science labs.
2/ Don't have the wide array of Sports programs
3/ Sometimes have lay (un-educated) teachers
4/ Sometimes the kids can't cope with the cruel social life after they get out.
Private schools will generally attract a more affluent families.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 11:41 AM
That would all depend on what public school system you are talking about
LAUSD SUCKS

XtrmWakeborder
09-28-2004, 11:42 AM
I went to the same private school from nursery to 8th grade, I would say the early years of a childs life say kindergarten through 6th grade would be best spent at a private school to get a good foundation due to the smaller class sizes "more individual attention", Morals and religion "if your the religious type", and most deffinately better spelling and grammar. Math and science however i find to be about the same or lower in the private school i went to. The reason i say to put them into public school in 7th and 8th grade is to make more friends that will eventually go to highschool and make it more fun. This is just my recent experience and what i will do with my kids.

RiverOtter
09-28-2004, 11:57 AM
So maybe I am not unique then. Most of the responces have been private schools. Are most of you spending $9,000 to $10,000 per kid?

XtrmWakeborder
09-28-2004, 12:01 PM
So maybe I am not unique then. Most of the responces have been private schools. Are most of you spending $9,000 to $10,000 per kid?
My parents paid about 20k per kid for both me and my sister, but i was there for 13 years.

billet racing
09-28-2004, 12:05 PM
I went through Private Chatholic school from 1st through Senior in high school. Wife went to the pubil school nearby. she would not put our kids through the public school. Was rated very poorly at the time. They did get better, but are on a downturn again. All 5 kids went to the same schools I did. Even some of the same teachers. We are still active in the schools, and volunteer our time.
My opinion. The private schools are better, have disipline and control of the kids. Smaller, and can give the kids more attention. Can a child make it through public school? Yes, but must have parental involvement. If left on thier own, they will struggle and there are too many temptations out there.
It helps when you go to a top rated school. I attended De Le Salle.
Ironically, back then we did not admit we were on the football team. We sucked.

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-28-2004, 12:07 PM
I went to the same private school from nursery to 8th grade, I would say the early years of a childs life say kindergarten through 6th grade would be best spent at a private school to get a good foundation due to the smaller class sizes "more individual attention", Morals and religion "if your the religious type", and most deffinately better spelling and grammar. Math and science however i find to be about the same or lower in the private school i went to. The reason i say to put them into public school in 7th and 8th grade is to make more friends that will eventually go to highschool and make it more fun. This is just my recent experience and what i will do with my kids.
this is a very true statement and I will have to agree.. our school goes to 6th grade then they have a continuation of it in the valley.. But we have also decided it would be best to put them in public through junior high and high school.. do to the fact of more friends and so on.. we have 2 yrs till then and hopefully the school will not be so bad.. around here it is not a very good school.. it is not like it was when I was there. I hate for them to grow up but I have to let them. :cool:

bilgewiper
09-28-2004, 12:09 PM
I spend a combined $600 a month to send both my 3rd and 8th grader to a private Christian school and it's worth every penny to me. We will see in a few years if it was worth it to them.

572Daytona
09-28-2004, 12:15 PM
We put our oldest daughter in private school a couple of years ago when she was entering 6th grade. It is expensive but she has gotten many more opportunities that weren't available to her in public school, for example she was part of a program that got to take the SAT test as a 7th grader (and she beat the graduating senior average). She's also hanging around with a much better group of kids as well, in public school she was pretty much ridiculed and picked on by fellow classmates for being an academic achiever, in the new school she has friends that are encouraging her to acheive. It is definitely not cheap, but living where I do in Georgia, I figure the lower property taxes that I pay help somewhat to compensate for that. I just wish they allowed a tax deduction for private school. I don't understand why your taxes are so high in Tennessee? Is it the area that you are in? I know there are some bad spots in Georgia as well, especially those in some of the suburban Atlanta areas
Edit, just want to mention that we are spending 12K for tuition and closer to 15K per year when you factor in bus transportation, books, field trips, etc. The school were she goes gets more expensive as she gets to higher grades, it started out closer to 10K.

eliminatedsprinter
09-28-2004, 12:28 PM
It depends on a number of factors. Why are the schools in your area bad. Is there a lot of crime etc???
I live in LA and our district sucks, but the individual schools in our neighborhood are great, so my son just finished at our local public school where he did fine. He is now in 6th grade and the only complaint I have re his middle school is they give him to much homework :coffeycup His teacher for english and social studies claims that she only gives 20 min for each subject. But when I help him I find it is stuff that would have taken me a couple of hours to do when I was in college and I graduated with honers...

spectratoad
09-28-2004, 12:42 PM
My kids go to a private parochial school. They seem to be doing well. I have never actively sought a comparison but I know the follow on high school averages in the 90% area for kids that go on to college.
I think most of the thing is parental involvement. I also enjoy the uniforms that we have in our school. Just blue pants and white polo's. Nothing tacky but it sure limits the unneccessary fashion competitions that you see in public schools.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-28-2004, 12:43 PM
i gone to pryvate skool furst threw hi-skool and i aint as dum as dem guys dat gone to publick skools. i den went to a pryvate colage and it cost a grip. and i still aint as dum as dos guys dat went to publick skoolz. and i got me a job, and i got me a house, and i got me a boat dat flotes. i gotta borrow a car to pull it, but dats no problem, my friend digs ditches and puts da dirt in da back of a truck so we just take dat one. he went to public skool.
Seriously though, i did go to private school and am sending my daughter to private school. we are fortunate enough to have a public school system in orange county that is in the top 1 or 2 percent in the nation so if something were to happen that would cause us to pull her out of private, the education level would still be excellent. and the main reason we chose private is that i went to private and do not know any better. i think that the best lesson i learned in private school was respect. i had lousy grades and our sports teams sucked, but i respect myself and other people and to me, that is the best characteristic a person can have. you will learn what you learn over the course of your life and if i can't do geometry or build an engine, so be it.

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 01:02 PM
I work at a very good public school.
In fact we moved to this neighborhood because the school district is so good.
President Bush's "No Child Left Behind" act tightens the requirements to teach public school. With funding and training for teachers and tutors.
My job is to teach the kids that fall through the cracks in our school system. Maybe their parents don't read to them, maybe they have an undiagnosed learning disability, maybe they have a horrible homelife and schoolwork is the last thing on their mind. I love my job, because I can see the improvement with the kids I work with.
Everyone needs to do what is right for their child.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I compare the teachers now a days to the police department, They are there just picking up a paycheck, could care less about there job. Atleast in L.A. They are burned out overburdened and unsupported by the upper level and parents....

Mandelon
09-28-2004, 01:14 PM
After discussion with my wife about this issue 5 years ago, we decided to move. The local school just wasn't that great. I liked the house and the payments were cheap.
But, you do what is right for the kids. So after realizing it would cost us $10,000 to $20,000 a year in addition to the property taxes, we decided it would be better to put that money towards a house payment instead.
The kids are now in 4th and 5th grade in a much better school. My son made it into the advanced classes with the other little braniacs so he has a small class of the same 15 kids and get extra attention. My daughter is not as advanced I guess, but she definitely has better people skills.
I think they will get a more rounded social and educational experience in public schools. More exposure to different types of people should be an advantage.
Many of the kids I grew up with attended private Catholic schools. A lot of them turned out to have drug problems, and several died and spent time in jail. Its not a cure all. The parents have so much to do with it. How important time is spent with them early on reading and playing with them instead of TV and videogames.....

TrojanDan
09-28-2004, 01:16 PM
It helps when you go to a top rated school. I attended De Le Salle.
Ironically, back then we did not admit we were on the football team. We sucked.
Sorry to see them lose a couple of weeks ago. I guess when you're as good as De Le Salle, you have to travel out of state to play some of the best HS football programs. I saw De Le Salle play Mater Dei at Anaheim Stadium about 6 years ago and I thought I was watching a college football team.
About public vs. private school, I went through 13 years of private Catholic school, 5 of them at an all boy High School/Jr.College. I still thank my mom to this day for working three jobs to send me there. No way I would send my kids (if I had any) to public school. :cool:

TrojanDan
09-28-2004, 01:18 PM
I compare the teachers now a days to the police department, They are there just picking up a paycheck, could care less about there job. Atleast in L.A. They are burned out overburdened and unsupported by the upper level and parents....
You forgot way underpaid, teachers that is. :cool:

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 01:18 PM
The LAUSD is too big to manage.....It pisses me off when the Teacher Union has television ads.
It is weird to get both sides of the arguement.
Teachers blame the parents.
Parents blame the teachers.

IN2MX
09-28-2004, 01:24 PM
That would all depend on what public school system you are talking about
LAUSD SUCKS
What you talkin' bout??? Birmingham RULES and San Fernando has all the HOT Girls!!
But then again, RESEDA HIGH SUCKS ASS!!!!!

Ziggy
09-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Public schools for both of my kids..and luckily we are in a pretty highly rated disctrict. Son Graduated HS in 2001, followed by Vocational school for auto mechanics..its what he wanted and has done rather well with it, he was not a very diligent general ed student.
Daughter in 6th grade now, member of the Gate program(advanced learners)..she excells in school, diligent with her work and very organized. Her state tests last year rated her in the top 10% in the state.
A few of my friends went through Private/Catholic schools and are no different than the rest, maybe a little less socially adept.
Much has to do with us taking an active roll in their schooling...so much depends on that...way to many people that use school just as a babysitting tool and complain about crap that has little to do with education.
Parents need to be involved, regardless of where they attend school.

mickeyfinn
09-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Here in Georgia we are not ranked as the highest in education by any means, However we still put our kids in Public School. Our experience has been that the state you live in or the particular school you go to does not guarantee a better education. The key to insuring that your child gets a good education is getting YOURSELF involved in your kids education. My experience talking with teachers is that they have a very high frustration level due to apathy on the students as well as the students parents part. Two kids in the same class with the same teacher can get a vastly different education just due to the parents supporting what the school is trying to do. I personally believe that this is one of the reasons why private schools are consistently higher. I don't think they have better teachers, I don't think they have better equipment. What they do have is better students and more support from the students parents. Most single parent families can't afford private school, single parents tend to be less involved as a group than two parent household. (twice as many people to get involved). Single parent families also as a rule tend to be lower income with the single parent subject to work more hours, hours that are not the usual 8 to 5 type hours and have less time to spend with their children and teachers.
I guess what I am trying to say is that in my opinion the most important part of seeing that your child gets a good education is not the school that he/she goes to but the parents being a part of the childs education.
Okay,.......off my soapbox now.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 02:01 PM
This outta piss everyone off, TEACHERS UNDERPAID
YEAH RIGHT
Starting salary for a teacher is $30 an hour in lausd.
Ok let me hear it

mickeyfinn
09-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Since we are trying to piss people off how about this one:
Those who can DO those who can't TEACH

DUNDUN
09-28-2004, 03:00 PM
I go to public high school, in the murrieta valley unified school district... Yeah, the education is great :hammerhea lol, but seriously, its not bad. my bro's 6th grade teacher who has like 150 students spends the time to call every students mom and dad if the student has a 65% or below...
i love my school, they dont bother chicks about dress code really at all, we can get away with headphones around campus for the most part, and they are easy on the chicks when it comes to dress code... :smile: :smile: :smile:

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 03:04 PM
Since we are trying to piss people off how about this one:
Those who can DO those who can't TEACH
I have heard it like this,
teaching is for those who cant get real jobs.
OH they are gonna kill me now.....

R-Babe
09-28-2004, 03:10 PM
I have heard it like this,
teaching is for those who cant get real jobs.
OH they are gonna kill me now.....
That wasn't nice!! :hammerhea

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I make hundreds of dollars a year, just ask my hubby.
I got to watch my fellow educators back. If you think anyone goes into teaching for the money, well you have just been out in the sun too long!!
Disclaimer:
The above post was made by a tutor, not a teacher.
:boxingguy

R-Babe
09-28-2004, 03:17 PM
I know for one that teachers do not make no $30 an hour.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 03:21 PM
OOOPS IM SORRY you are right
starting pay
35K a year
you work for 8 months a year
120 hours a month
equally=36.46 an hour
damn that is a great STARTING salary

little rowe boat
09-28-2004, 03:27 PM
My sister and brother in-law are both teachers and ,I know for a fact that they don't make $30.00 per hr. We should be thankful for our teachers,they are underappreciated and UNDERPAID.If they were paid $30.00 per hr. they would still be underpaid.

ratso
09-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Kilrtoy...on his toes as usual. :D

ratso
09-28-2004, 03:30 PM
My sister and brother in-law are both teachers and ,I know for a fact that they don't make $30.00 per hr. We should be thankful for our teachers,they are underappreciated and UNDERPAID.If they were paid $30.00 per hr. they would still be underpaid.
Tell them to get into the boat business...they will learn to appreciate their jobs more. :D

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Sister just started working this year for LAUSD as a 3rd grade teacher. Try $17.50 and hour. :)
NO WAY
they pay special education assistants $21 an hour. You are telling me they pay non college grads more than college grad TEACHERS, I dont think so........

ratso
09-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Maybe she didn't show enough leg... :crossx:

R-Babe
09-28-2004, 03:37 PM
NO WAY
they pay special education assistants $21 an hour. You are telling me they pay non college grads more than college grad TEACHERS, I dont think so........
I'm sorry I edited my post. My mistake. :hammerhea It was $17.50 and hour when she was an assistant. I just called her to clarify now she says it's about $25 an hour. :wink:

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Lets all remember something
THEY ONLY WORK 8 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR 120 HOURS A MONTH
But they CHOOSE to have their checks broken down over 12 months instead of 8 months and that is where she comes up with $25 an hour, if you do the math correctly, it is as I stated
36.46 an hour,
THAT IS DAMN GOOD MONEY

ratso
09-28-2004, 03:43 PM
But they CHOOSE to have their checks broken down over 12 months instead of 8 months and that is where she comes up with $25 an hour, if you do the math correctly, it is as I stated
36.46 an hour,
THAT IS DAMN GOOD MONEY
You should have been a politician Kilrtoy...getting at all the half-truths here. :D

R-Babe
09-28-2004, 03:48 PM
36.46 an hour,
THAT IS DAMN GOOD MONEY
Yes I do know that and where do you get 120 hours a week? Have you seen the amounts of work and projects they have to bring home and work on. If my sister as an assistant would come home with tons of paper work and having to come up with little projects for the kids I can imagine a teacher.
Taking all that into consideration she says that it comes out to about $25 an hour.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Yes I do know that and where do you get 120 hours a week? Have you seen the amounts of work and projects they have to bring home and work on. If my sister as an assistant would come home with tons of paper work and having to come up with little projects for the kids I can imagine a teacher.
Taking all that into consideration she says that it comes out to about $25 an hour.
Have you ever seen the amount of work that I take home and dont get paid for.
Have you ever seen the amount of research my wife does in order to keep abreast in her field of work that she doesnt get paid for.
Have you ever seen the great amount of out of pocket expenses I spend every single day to get my job done, THAT I NEVER GET PAID FOR.
That is an old song and dance.
EVER job does the same thing

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 03:56 PM
Like I said, :rolleyes:
IF you think people go into teaching for the money..... :hammerhea
YOU have been out in the sun TOO LONG!! :hammerhea
or
You like to stir the shit :argue:
:wink:

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Like I said, :rolleyes:
IF you think people go into teaching for the money..... :hammerhea
YOU have been out in the sun TOO LONG!! :hammerhea
or
You like to stir the shit :argue:
:wink:
No, they go into teaching cuz they cant get real jobs.......

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-28-2004, 03:59 PM
hey now.. that's not nice. :hammerhea

R-Babe
09-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Have you ever seen the amount of research my wife does in order to keep abreast in her field of work that she doesnt get paid for.
Have you ever seen the great amount of out of pocket expenses I spend every single day to get my job done, THAT I NEVER GET PAID FOR.
I understand that. But no one is here bashing yours or your wifes job.
I for one am going back to school where I left off to become a teacher. I have wanted to do that all my life. And it's sure as hell not for the money. If I wanted to do a so called easy job that payed me good I would go to the strip club and get myself payed dancing my ass off for a few hours and getting mad tips and be happy.
I'm not here to argue with you but I think your numbers are a bit off. You don't know first hand what teachers do. I agree there are some lazy ass teacher out there but not all. The time an effort and patience most of them have you can't put a price tag on.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 04:01 PM
hey now.. that's not nice. :hammerhea
Yeah either was your joke , but Im still laughling...
Actually no on second thought,
I LOVED YOUR JOKE

R-Babe
09-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Please~ :frown:

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Who's a grumpy bastard?
LOL :2purples:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-28-2004, 04:04 PM
you have home work, WTF ROTFLMAO all that an a 4 day work week

cheezpanel
09-28-2004, 04:05 PM
OK, here goes...
First off, I teach in a public school...as did my wife. She now works for our district as a trainer/mentor for new teachers (she also taught at a private school and my daughter attended kindergarten in a private school). As stated, they both have their pros and cons. Private schools, however, have the option of not admitting anyone they want, or kicking kids out who don't follow rules, etc...Population in a public school is much more diverse, so you're certainly going to get a wider range of students. Private schools are generally smaller, can teach religion and such, and the fact that parents choose to send their kids for whatever reasons already for the most part demonstrates parent/family support. Are there more "problems" in public schools? I would say yes. Are there burned out, apathetic teachers? Sure. Look at any profession though. I also believe the majority of teachers want the best for their students and truly care.
I teach language arts (6th grade) and a program called AVID (7th and 8th graders), in which I teach basically underprivileged kids that have shown potential study skills, organization, etc...basically how to succeed in school. Things that many PARENTS already do but that these kids don't have. The underlying message is that you can go to college eventually-doesn't matter what your circumstances are. I've got a student who lives with foster parents...sometimes this student has much bigger issues than school, but I sure try. In addition to "curriculum," I have college tutors come in twice a week to work with my classes and be role models. We just attended the SDSU game. We take the kids on field trips to colleges, the opera, do community service, have motivational speakers work with them. I introduce them to financial skills. They have the opportunity to apply for a Padres scholarship ($5000 waiting for them when they are admitted to a four year college). I've had 5 students win this award over the past 7 years.
Why do I do this? I had a teacher who cared enough about me when I was younger to keep telling me I could succeed. I did. My hope is that my students hold me in the same regard some day. I know some do because many still keep in touch. This is what it's all about for me. Do I complain about my salary? No...it's a good living and I can't imagine doing anything else. Would I take more money? Sure. Is teaching an emotional, tiring, draining job that doesn't end until the school year is over? Yep. And I know many other jobs are also, so I'm not putting anyone down. Those not in the profession don't really know all that's involved, so it's not cool to say idiotic things like "those who can't, teach." Give me a break.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 04:08 PM
I understand that. But no one is here bashing yours or your wifes job.
I for one am to school where I left off to become a teacher. I have wanted to do that all my life. And it's sure as hell not for the money. If I wanted to do a so called easy job that payed me good I would go to the strip club and get myself payed dancing my ass off for a few hours and getting mad tips and be happy.
I'm not here to argue with you but I think your numbers are a bit off. You don't know first hand what teachers do. I agree there are some lazy ass teacher out there but not all. The time an effort and patience most of them have you can't put a price tag on.
Im not here to argue, but I hate when I hear teachers are under paid. I agree teachers do deserve more money, better supplies and smaller classes rooms.
Actually my numbers are DEAD ON, AND I KNOW exactly what teachers do FIRST HAND.
A 5th year teacher in LAUSD who actually works 11 months out of the year get's "Z" time and they make somewhere in the neighborhood of 120K a year. Also they have to pick up a 6th period and actually work at least 7 hours of the day.
if you choose to work only your required 5 periods and 8 months out of the year , then yes you will only make in your 5th year about 45K

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Yeah either was your joke , but Im still laughling...
Actually no on second thought,
I LOVED YOUR JOKE
my joke was funny as hell.. but some people got bent out of shape.. then got sent to the curb.cause they can't take a joke. :supp:

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 04:14 PM
you have home work, WTF ROTFLMAO all that an a 4 day work week
That is a HARD FOUR DAYS and this week I made it THREE
AND I AM WAY UNDER PAID

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-28-2004, 04:17 PM
AND I AM WAY UNDER PAID
you get my PM

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 04:18 PM
AND I AM WAY UNDER PAID
That is too bad, you should try a job you like..........lol :rolleyes:

Sherpa
09-28-2004, 04:25 PM
here in Campbell, Ca. (san jose area) the campbell school district is very
highly rated..... our elelmentary school is of of the top. but........ this
last year they closed one school, and added those kids to our school. they
put in more "modular" classrooms and stuff........ for the most part, I think
this school does a pretty good job....on the other hand, one of my daughters
had a teacher who was not full-hired into the district last year..... she had
them watching videos at least 2 times a week.... like 1 1/2 hour kid movies..
not exactly what I call a structured environment for learning........... bogus..
If we had the dough to send them to private, I wouldn't hesitate a second
to send them........ we always vote for the voucher program when it comes
up on ballot........................
--Sherpa

CA Stu
09-28-2004, 04:36 PM
If you live in an area where the parents don't get involved with their children's education, guaranteed the public schools will suck.
Teachers are there to teach the three R's, not to be babysitters / surrogate parents/ teach morals and ethics.
That stuff is the parent's responsibility, which unfortunately a large percentage of adults seem to have forgotten.
That said, private schools have more leeway when it comes to corporal punisment, workload, discipline, etc., and the good private school will always trump the good public school because the private schools are not handcuffed by a bureaucratic school district and an overbearing state legislature.
Just my opinion,
Thanks
CA Stu <- seen both sides of that coin
PS I think it matters more how much you invest in your children as a parent, rather than where you send them to school when it comes to education, acheivement, and their development as a human being.

Scream
09-28-2004, 04:47 PM
As a product of the Private School system, I know many of the pros & cons:
PROS:
1/ Most students can add, subtract multiply & divide in their heads thru the times tables.
2/ Most can write a story knowing there is an Introduction, Body & Close paragraphs in that order.
3/ Most learn to respect authority
4/ Most go onto college but that doesn't mean they will finish
5/ Excellent School Unity even thru their Alumni programs
CONS:
1/ Don't have the financial resources to set up nice PC labs & Science labs.
2/ Don't have the wide array of Sports programs
3/ Sometimes have lay (un-educated) teachers
4/ Sometimes the kids can't cope with the cruel social life after they get out.
Private schools will generally attract a more affluent families.
This is very true and I'd give you some rep if I had any to give today. Soon I swear.
I went to a very small private High School with ahhell and honestly I missed out on a lot of opportunities by doing that. In JR Hi, I played the woodwinds, all of them, in Hi School, we didn't have a band so I didn't play. When it was time to go to college it took all I had to get into the band program again, then I had to work at it to keep my spot. sucked. This is a small example of what I'm talking about, but valid IMO. While there is a place and a need for private education, I've decided I want all things available to my kids and that means Public education. And besides, it's not necessarily where you get educated, but what you do with it that counts.
Scream

racecar.hotshoe
09-28-2004, 06:58 PM
This is very true and I'd give you some rep if I had any to give today. Soon I swear.
I went to a very small private High School with ahhell and honestly I missed out on a lot of opportunities by doing that. In JR Hi, I played the woodwinds, all of them, in Hi School, we didn't have a band so I didn't play. When it was time to go to college it took all I had to get into the band program again, then I had to work at it to keep my spot. sucked. This is a small example of what I'm talking about, but valid IMO. While there is a place and a need for private education, I've decided I want all things available to my kids and that means Public education. And besides, it's not necessarily where you get educated, but what you do with it that counts.
ScreamThat explains alot....... :2purples:

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 07:11 PM
That explains alot....... :2purples:
LOL :eek:
He is very talented, not as good as Sportin Wood on his guitar, but he can play the piano, Hey, do we have a piano player for our town yet? :wink:

coolchange
09-28-2004, 07:25 PM
I spent over to 6 figures to send 2 kids to private school. Most of the time I see it as a big hardon for the parents to say "My kid goes to _____". I have 2 kids in public now and they get way more opportunities AND better teachers. Yes LAUSD! The people I know that were private school teachers were all waiting to get into the public schools. They had Masters and were educational psycologists etc. When I was in high school we used to laugh at private school kids cause they couldn't fix their cars or use tools or ride etc. So spill it Kilrtoy with no kids, just what did they do to you in public school. :rollside:

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Actually I have 3 kids
one in privateschool Middle school and two in LAUSD grade school
They are in one of the few schools in the entire district, WITH NO BUSING AND NO ADD PERMIT TRANSFERS. That means either you live in the schools area or you cant go.
But prior to hitting Middle school they will be in a new school district.
Im curious why do over 60 something % of LAUSD teachers and employees send there kids to private and not LAUSD.
That speaks for it self.
LAUSD is hiring anyone that wants to teach and your friends are waiting to get hired , guess they arent to smart to even make the cut there LAUSD IS THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL as far as teaching goes.

coolchange
09-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Well if your idea of bottom of the barrel are Masters degrees, Educational psycologists, and working on their Doctorate, Then I guess we have different values. I get tired of people bashing the public school system and there's usually a hidden agenda.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Why cant they get a job, LAUSD is handing them out like candy
no hidden agenda. LAUSD SUCKS there is no two ways about it.
You probably voted to keep the city as one also, even thou 2/3rds of the money comes from the valley

coolchange
09-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Oh, and I didn't say they are waiting, I said they WERE waiting. Because the schools that they taught at didn't give a **** that they were continueing their education because they had retired teachers and moms to take thier places.

coolchange
09-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Oh now how I vote is an issue? :rolleyes:

TCHB
09-28-2004, 07:50 PM
I am a dad of two colledge age girls who both are at PAC 10 schools and would not send my kids to public schools grades 1-12.
1. Private schools are really just back to real basics (math, reading, science).
2. You have to play by the rules or you are out.
3. They go to school from 8 - 3 pm all four years of high school.
4. School drug testing is mandatory!
5. I know it is not perfect but you only have one shot in preparing your kids for colledge which is highly competive today.
My two cents and good luck

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Why cant they get a job, LAUSD is handing them out like candy
no hidden agenda. LAUSD SUCKS there is no two ways about it.
You probably voted to keep the city as one also, even thou 2/3rds of the money comes from the valley
That's just not true Kilrtoy. President Bush's "No Child Left Behind" act is improving standards in our schools. No more emergency creditials. Not everyone with a BA can teach, or the district pays the price. Schools have standards to meet.
You know who are a bunch of losers, though, if ya want to rag on a certain type of profession? COPS, what a bunch of losers, they drive around in their cards/bikes all day and hand out tickets for no reason. go figure, I hear you can get a job with the LAPD or the CHP VERY EASILY. Just an AA and your on your way.
DISCLAIMER: The above post was done tongue in cheek, I have nothing but the highest respect for policemen.....just trying to give Kilrtoy some of his own medicine.... :idea:

uclahater
09-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Kilr I agree with you to a Tee, and I have 5 kids in the public school system so I think IM entitled to an opinion on this :idea:
Elementary schools have about 80% of the teachers that really care , and are their for the right reasons :D We have been really lucky in being involved enough to get our choice of teachers(makes a huge difference). Everyone, but one has been in the gate program(which is a program for parents to brag about their kids) :hammer2:
Jr high school have about 60% of teachers that really care, and are there for the right reasons.Thanks to having one child already go through it we know which teachers to avoid. Both have still been in the honors programs, and sports.
High school about 40 to 50% of the teachers are there for the right reasons. My daughter is a Sophomore and we usually have to keep on top of 2 or more teachers(who really could care less),but seeing as its harder , and harder to get into good Universities you have to stay on top of it.My daughter as a Freshman earned her Academics letter, Drama letter, and Varsity letter in track, and works her butt off to get straight A's :D Theres nothing more frustrating as a parent than to get a knucklehead paycheck only teacher.
The problem with public schools is they need to get rid of tenuring teachers :burningm: I have 6 friends that are teachers, and boy did there attitude change once they were tenured :burningm: because they knew that they were pretty much untouchable.
I think that know matter if your kids go to Private or Public school its your job as a parent to be involved, and do what ever it takes to make sure your kids succeed :D :D
just my .02
The Hater

coolchange
09-28-2004, 07:56 PM
YA you go Deb!!! Funny you should bring that up. An in law is in the academy and there is no way he could be a teacher, but they will give him a GUN?

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 07:56 PM
That's just not true Kilrtoy. President Bush's "No Child Left Behind" act is improving standards in our schools. No more emergency creditials. Not everyone with a BA can teach, or the district pays the price. Schools have standards to meet.
You know who are a bunch of losers, though, if ya want to rag on a certain type of profession? COPS, what a bunch of losers, they drive around in their cards/bikes all day and hand out tickets for no reason. go figure, I hear you can get a job with the LAPD or the CHP VERY EASILY. Just an AA and your on your way.
DISCLAIMER: The above post was done tongue in cheek, I have nothing but the highest respect for policemen.....just trying to give Kilrtoy some of his own medicine.... :idea:
Your wrong on two counts LAUSD got a 5 year extension on the emergency cred. Because almost half of their teachers are E.C.
and again wrong about cops, You can be dumb as a rock and you only need to have a G.E.D., to lie, cheat and violate peoples rights

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 07:57 PM
The problem with public schools is they need to get rid of tenuring teachers I have 6 friends that are teachers, and boy did there attitude change once they were tenured because they knew that they were pretty much untouchable.
This is very true.....I had a personal experience with a teacher my school wanted to fire, but couldn't because she was tenured. She was terrible to the kids, was mean to them, belittled them. Just the worst!! Finally she retired and we are all very happy now! :D

uclahater
09-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Deb
The problem with this is :D The teachers are now teaching to the kids that are below average, because thats what their gaged off of :burningm: So theres alot of kids that could be learning alot more, but cant because the teachers have to work on the cellar dwellars :D
Dont get me wrong, I agree with the no one left behind, but with 35 kids in the class the above average are left to fend for themselves :burningm:

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Your wrong on two counts LAUSD got a 5 year extension on the emergency cred. Because almost half of their teachers are E.C.
and again wrong about cops, You can be dumb as a rock and you only need to have a G.E.D., to lie, cheat and violate peoples rights
This means that they are losing money, the Federal Goverment won't pay them (some $) unless their teachers are highly qualified! That is their decision and it sucks. Goes along with their stupid televison ads for their union. (give me a break) If they do not conform soon, they will get taken over by the Federal Goverment much like a redistribution during a bankruptcy. It isn't bad, if the school is in trouble, it really helps, they get their teachers retrained and all.

little rowe boat
09-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Tell them to get into the boat business...they will learn to appreciate their jobs more. :D
They both love what they do and they do appreciate their jobs.

coolchange
09-28-2004, 08:07 PM
My 3rd grader is in a class with 15 other students. All above average. Last week they went to the art museum and had a tour with 3 kids per docent. NEVER had that in private school. My son just started H.S. His baseball coach is from a powerhouse CIF school. Why did he go to a public school? One reason of many he stated was resourses.

little rowe boat
09-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Only if they work a traditional school schedule and then not teach summer school.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 08:09 PM
This means that they are losing money, the Federal Goverment won't pay them (some $) unless their teachers are highly qualified! That is their decision and it sucks. Goes along with their stupid televison ads for their union. (give me a break) If they do not conform soon, they will get taken over by the Federal Goverment much like a redistribution during a bankruptcy. It isn't bad, if the school is in trouble, it really helps, they get their teachers retrained and all.
The feds realized that is unrealistic for large school districts too comply, LAUSD employees 38K teachers, that is how they got an extension.
now small school districts they were forced to comply, but then again small school districts dont have the screweed up problems and dumbass's at the top either,
REMEMBER BELMONT WAS CONCEIVED BY TEACHERS and they blew 200PLUS million dollars
uclahater is right,
it is the new YOUNG teachers that still care, the old hags could care less, now there are always exceptions to the rule, but FEW and far between

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Only if they work a traditional school schedule and then not teach summer school.
You mean actually work, an almost full time job and get paid 54.69 and hour for the first year on the job, YEP UNDERPAID

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 08:16 PM
My 3rd grader is in a class with 15 other students. All above average. .
So is this Balboa mag., Carpenter or Castle Bay Ln.

coolchange
09-28-2004, 08:19 PM
No just your local elementary in Granada Hills.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 08:27 PM
i dont think Knollwood, tulsa or granada is doing that good and that only leaves el oro way or van gogh, They have busing. I dont like busing

little rowe boat
09-28-2004, 08:32 PM
You mean actually work, an almost full time job and get paid 54.69 and hour for the first year on the job, YEP UNDERPAID
$54.69 an hour,I don't know where you get these numbers,if they were accurate then believe me I would be teaching.They are not.

coolchange
09-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Danube in G.H. They're still trying to figure out what to do with the rest of their allowance. Its not a flashey magnet anything school. They spend the wisely. Yes they have bussing and a great Special ed program. I dont know everything about all the probs of LAUSD. I just know my experiences. And I wish I could get a refund on my tuition checks. I wouldn't be restoring a 40 year old boat! (Well, ya I would be, but I'd be done!)

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 08:38 PM
$54.69 an hour,I don't know where you get these numbers,if they were accurate then believe me I would be teaching.They are not.
That is damn accurate its called "Z TIME", when you teach summer school.
Ok wait, I forgot you want it broken down over 12 months, so that equally 36.45 an hour YOUR FIRST YEAR.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Danube in G.H. They're still trying to figure out what to do with the rest of their allowance. Its not a flashey magnet anything school. They spend the wisely. Yes they have bussing and a great Special ed program. I dont know everything about all the probs of LAUSD. I just know my experiences. And I wish I could get a refund on my tuition checks. I wouldn't be restoring a 40 year old boat! (Well, ya I would be, but I'd be done!)
Danuabe is a good school, the only thing that brings that place down is BUSSING.
Im sure you noticed I HATE AND AM STRONGLY opposed to bussing.
Danube is in a nice quite community also

little rowe boat
09-28-2004, 08:41 PM
That is damn accurate its called "Z TIME", when you teach summer school.
Ok wait, I forgot you want it broken down over 12 months, so that equally 36.45 an hour YOUR FIRST YEAR.
Then my sis and bro-iinlaw must be teaching in the wrong district,they don't make that much.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Try teaching in the La Verne school district it is ALMOST double that.
let me get one thing straight
I HAVE NOTHING BUT RESPECT FOR THE TEACHING PROFESSION.
But I hate to hear that they are under paid. Do they deserve more money? Yes they do, BUT BY NO MEANS ARE THEY UNDER PAID

PlyaPlya22
09-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Myself and all 5 of my brothers all went to the same schools all the way through high shcool. Our District has been a Blue Ribbon School for the past 15 yrs. I have to say that I had the option of sending my kids to private school but we chose to keep them in the same district that I grew up in. It was tough in the beginning but it was well worth the struggle. They'll be in H.S. next year. Gosh, how time flys. My personal opinion is that now days society is so diverse and kids really need to be able to interact with all different types of people and situations. I would rather keep my kids in public schools and get them a tutor for the one on oneing that may be needed to get them over the hump. I also belive that kids need to be involved in some type of after school activity. Just my .o2

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 10:07 PM
PLYA
go to bed, Your kids are in DIAMOND BAR, NEED I SAY MORE.

PlyaPlya22
09-28-2004, 10:10 PM
PLYA
go to bed, Your kids are in DIAMOND BAR, NEED I SAY MORE.
There's bad trees in every orchard.

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 10:13 PM
There's bad trees in every orchard.
That is true, but the worst there are still better than the BEST in South Central

PlyaPlya22
09-28-2004, 10:21 PM
I am going to have to agree with you there. That's where I believe the parents really need to step up and make a difference

Kilrtoy
09-28-2004, 10:33 PM
I am going to have to agree with you there. That's where I believe the parents really need to step up and make a difference
The wife and I have TWO hours a night of home work and I thought I left school 20 years ago

PlyaPlya22
09-28-2004, 11:00 PM
The wife and I have TWO hours a night of home work and I thought I left school 20 years ago
i know how that is :frown:

XtrmWakeborder
09-28-2004, 11:23 PM
LOL this reminds me of the teachers stike at my highschool..ohh man that was a good week. I'm not yet convinced teachers are underpaid due to the fact that i had several claiming over 100k a year, which is pretty good considering they only bring back home what they have to grade, and thats not much due to teachers assistants.

BADBLOWN572
09-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Well, coming from someone who graduated within the last 6 years, I would choose the RIGHT private school. I went to public school from K-8 and it was a nightmare. I was a major discipline problem because they couldn't do anything to me. Many of the people I was hanging out with either went on to serious trouble (ie...jail) or never went very far in life. These people were from very afluent families and had every opportunity to make it big in life.
To get me to break away from the public school norm, my parents said that I was going to go to a private school for high school. Not only was it a private school, it was a private, Catholic, all boys school. Boy did my life change and fast. I realized that I couldn't coast all the way through school and that I would only get out what I put in. I developed new friends, broke away from the old ones, and had a great time. Came out of there ready for college, and college was cake. I learned how to prepare in high school and college classes were easier than high school. My high school was also very diverse. We had people from every race/religion/economic background possible. Some were silver spoon babies, and others were on full scholarships.
As for the not being prepared socially for when you get out of private schools, I think that is B.S! It is the parents fault if they are not. Private schools don't deprive you of anything socially and as long as the parents don't shelter the kid, it won't be that bad. I have seen more people who are sheltered get F'ed up than those who were allowed to "experiment" with social aspects. I was always given "enough rope to hang myself" according to my dad, and when I got out, the world was not something that I just came into and so I did fine. Many people I know always had their parents holding their hand and when they came out, look out!!! The world was a new place for them and many of them fell flat on their face.
This whole thing is just my .02 from my experiences and from what some of my friends went through. All private schools are not good & all public schools are not bad. The thing is to find the right match for the student and learning style. I needed more personalized attention, and I got it. I came out prepared for the next step. If I had to do it all over, I would go to private school in a heartbeat over public. I met quite a few good connections in the business world and was one step ahead, in my opinion, than if I went to public school.

Debbolas
09-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Try teaching in the La Verne school district it is ALMOST double that.
let me get one thing straight
I HAVE NOTHING BUT RESPECT FOR THE TEACHING PROFESSION.
But I hate to hear that they are under paid. Do they deserve more money? Yes they do, BUT BY NO MEANS ARE THEY UNDER PAID
DUDE!!!
It sooooo depends on the district. Fontana Unified is starting first year teachers out at $24,000 a year. If you have a Masters you get a little more.
I will say it again....................N O ONE GOES INTO TEACHING FOR THE MONEY!!!!!

Kilrtoy
09-29-2004, 05:18 PM
DUDE!!!
It sooooo depends on the district. Fontana Unified is starting first year teachers out at $24,000 a year. If you have a Masters you get a little more.
I will say it again....................N O ONE GOES INTO TEACHING FOR THE MONEY!!!!!
DEB, That is Riverside county what do you expect...
or is it San Berdo, doesnt matter same difference

Debbolas
09-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Never The Less,
No ONE GOES INTO TEACHING FOR THE MONEY...................... :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
09-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Well........
Seeing what private school has done for my two young kids, Boy-6 & Girl-4, along with my wife staying at home with them, I would have a hard time changing anything.
Sure.....I liked the extra income when my wife worked and the $700 a month for the private school would really help my boating habit, but I am really happy with the results.....
Damn.....My 6 year old boy is already speaking a bit of Spanish !!!!!
Plus.....It's just safer.....
......."Man....but a BIGGER boat would be cool..........Hey Honey?".....
CJG
:cool:

Bad2DBone
10-01-2004, 03:11 AM
Ok, so I am a noob here but I saw this thread and I was wanting to add a little something to it. Have any of you thought about home schooling?
My wife and I have work hours that allow either one or both of us to be at home with our kids during the day. So although my son is only 5 we decided to try and home school instead of public schooling.
We have quite a few friends who home school as well and are in home school co-ops.
Right now we spend about an hour or so a day with him on science, math and writing.
We have some friends who have 6 kids and they have home schooled them all. The oldest is 16 and just finished her first year at the University of Washington in the spring. Their 13 and 14 year olds have both competed in the national spelling bee in D.C and have done quite well.
I know home schooling gets a bad rap for numerous reasons but for us it seems like a good choice right now.
So, how about home schooling? Yay or nay....