PDA

View Full Version : I hate neighbors

572Daytona
09-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Here's the deal. In order to get to our house we have an easement from the road across another person's property. Our neighbors also use this easement to get to their house, all in all about 6 houses use it. It is a single lane, gravel road, nothing fancy. Recently the first neighbor on the easement started complaining about people going to fast and creating dust. Where his house is there is a slight downward elevation and I checked and I'm doing somewhere between 15-20mph when I pass his house, basically idleing without riding the brake.
He confronted my wife and I one night saying we need to slow down, I told him we weren't speeding and to basically mind his own business. This past Saturday while we were out he took it upon himself to put in cement speed humps accross the easement in front of his house. I proceeded to go around them on the grass since the easment is 60ft wide (although the gravel road itself is only about 10ft wide). He has subsequently installed posts and parked one of his junk cars on the sides to make it impossible for me to go around.
What do I do? I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the legal authority to restrict my usage of the easement (remember he doesn't own the property, he just has an easment across it as well, can anyone with any legal knowledge comment on this?) And I really don't want to go out there and remove the speed humps myself as this will just escalate things and we have more to loose than him, if he takes it upon himself to start destroying property.

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-28-2004, 12:10 PM
I don't have any legal knowledge about this but isn't an easement state or city owned.. he IMO can not block that with a car.correct me if I am wrong. :shift:

ratso
09-28-2004, 12:11 PM
I would just deal with the speed bumps since he is the one that has to deal with ALL the traffic...

jdogginla
09-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Not trying to be an asshole..........but is it going to kill ya to drive slowly over a set of speed bumps? Put yourself in his shoes for a moment, he is the first house and see's the most traffic, and the dust may bother him. Just my .02

jdogginla
09-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Hahah......Ratso, we posted the exact same thing at the same time.

Her454
09-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Not to be sour grapes here but this stuff can get real nasty real fast.......up where I live we had a couple neighbors that had a disagreement over an easement and some shrubbery.
Two of the neighbors are now dead....that were mothers, shot right in front of their kids in the driveway. The other one is going to trial now and headed for prison.
Whats really important?

Jbb
09-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Jeff....would you like for me to come over and.....talk with him for you...? :D ...lol
There is obviously only one solution to a predicament such as this,and it goes like this...
Toast marshmallows over the car after you set it ablaze...when done, have it hauled to the junkyard and leave the bill in his mailbox...
Dig up the speed bumps and launch them thru the front windows of his lovely lake front house...when he comes out to see whats going on...tell him now he can enjoy the dust inside as well as outside...Your a giver!
At about 3 am head for the dock and crank up the Daytona...minus the silencers and let it run for a while....mood music so to speak :squiggle:
Either that ...or drive slower...lol...neighbors.... :D

dave186
09-28-2004, 12:26 PM
i just wouldnt let the speed bumps slow me down.

NOTALENT
09-28-2004, 12:26 PM
First off..I would think he would need a permit to install those speed bumps..and second..as long as ur doing the limit..who gives a damn..If ur in a truck fly over them..!!! :cool: just my .02cents...but I can be a dick when it comes to things like that..haha :cool:

MsDrmr
09-28-2004, 12:27 PM
If he does not own the property, and you do not own the property, contact the owner of the easeway and petition to have the bumps removed. If no owner can be located, file a complaint with the city.

572Daytona
09-28-2004, 12:28 PM
An easement is just a right to use another person's property in a certain manner, in this case ingress and egress to our property. States can be granted easements but in this case it is a easement given by a private property owner to the people that live on the road.
Maybe I am making a big deal, but one of the reasons that I live where I do and not in a subdivision is because I hate home owners associations and people making arbitrary rules. I also think speedhumps add unecessary where and tear on my cars/boats not to mention being a pain in the ass. In an extreme situation it could also delay fire/ambulence response to my house but that is probably a bit farfetched.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Have the car towed.........
then get a jackhammer and pull them up and send him the bill. :)

Debbolas
09-28-2004, 12:39 PM
rip them up or burn rubber over them :crossx: DON'T FU*K WITH TITTIES AND BEER :wink: :crossx:
I was waiting for you to chime in here :wink:

ratso
09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Why not do like we did here on the road that I live on...get everybody together that lives on the road to pitch in and have it paved.
As far as the dust issue, we have gravel at my business, and my son comes flying in about 20 mph...that stirs up a lot of friggin' dust. I told him to slow down or I'm going to leave a couple of bumps on his head. Really now, just imagine this poor guy having to deal with all the dust every damn day... Just slow the fawk down...

ROZ
He needs to be reminded that the easment needs to be clear by law... I agree with everyone else that the dust is probably driving him up the wall...
Maybe he should put a wod fence at that side of his property...

welk2party
I think the guy is overreacting a little because you confronted him. Ask him to remove the bumps and you will try to drive a little slower.

HavasuDreamin'
09-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Contact the easement owner. Have them send Mr. Neighbor a letter indicating he is to remove the speed bumps. That will piss him off the most.
Good Luck

CA Stu
09-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Pitch in and asphalt the street.
Dust sucks, and every j a cka ss thinks dirt roads are a license to drive like Ivan Stewart.
Which is true, unless they're in front of my house, of course :D
Thanks
CA Stu <-- lives on dirt road

Wet Dream
09-28-2004, 12:53 PM
You can do it the more mature legal way and have the other homeowners get together at your house and come up with a plan of action, or you can do it my way and that would be to lay one foot on the brake and another on the gas between each bump. Go slowly over each bump, but pull the dust making burnie between. Yes, it will use a little more brake material in the rear, but they usually last longer than the fronts anyway. If you have a front wheel drive car, set the parking brake semi tight, put it in drrive and you get the same effect. See how much more dust he can tolerate. :D

ratso
09-28-2004, 12:55 PM
I doubt that 572 is the first person on this road he has discussed this with, at least to be driven to this extreme. Anything much over an idle while riding your brakes is going to stir up dust.

ratso
09-28-2004, 12:57 PM
You can do it the more mature legal way and have the other homeowners get together at your house and come up with a plan of action, or you can do it my way and that would be to lay one foot on the brake and another on the gas between each bump. Go slowly over each bump, but pull the dust making burnie between. Yes, it will use a little more brake material in the rear, but they usually last longer than the fronts anyway. If you have a front wheel drive car, set the parking brake semi tight, put it in drrive and you get the same effect. See how much more dust he can tolerate. :D
I would almost bet the guy is already dealing with that kind of crap...

OkieDave
09-28-2004, 12:58 PM
He may actually own the property and be stuck with an easement for others to use without a way of making them help maintain it. I once had property with an easment that allowed others to drive accross me and had a terrible time with a neighbor and his stepsons driving by my place at speed enough to kick up the dust and when I asked them to be considerate about it, they got smart alec. I contemplated digging a ten foot deep and twenty foot wide hole clear accross the easement. They finally got considerate after a confrontation where I blocked them in and faced them while holding a shotgun. we never had any more trouble.

Wet Dream
09-28-2004, 01:02 PM
:D whats his wife look like? ;)
:D :D :D

BowTie Rick
09-28-2004, 01:19 PM
:jawdrop: :D :wink: http://www.hermanmotorsports.com/images/7/4.jpg

Captain Dan
09-28-2004, 01:19 PM
He may actually own the property and be stuck with an easement for others to use without a way of making them help maintain it. I once had property with an easment that allowed others to drive accross me and had a .....
Ouch...
Easements have many forms, you and your neighbor probably have a reciprocal access easement that allows you to cross his property to get to yours. The land is more than likely owned by him, but you have the right to cross. Easements are written documents that are recorded against the property. Try to get a copy of the easement document from a title company, or research the easement yourself at the local jurisdiction - there may be language in the document that does not allow restriction of the travelled way, or permanent construction therein. Read it and see.

572Daytona
09-28-2004, 01:31 PM
I never confronted him, he came up to my wife when we were walking one night (after he had had a few beers, I guess to get his courage up) and got in her face and swearing at her telling her she drives too fast. I pretty told he that we don't drive too fast and he doesn't own the road and to mind his own business, it's gone downhill from there. Maybe I do need to invite JBB and his Bronx buddies to deal with the situation Unlike me, JBB lives in an exclusive gated community to keep the riffraff out ;)
We are already involved in a law suit with the true property owners over another matter (don't ask, another reason why I hate neighbors) so getting their help is most definitely out of the question. We've offered to go in and have it paved before but some of the neighbors don't want to or don't have the money to spend. The dust probably is an issue for them, but in my opinion they built their house too close to the road, it doesn't even meet county setback requirements. Here is a picture that I have from before the speed bumps, the easement area actually extends to past where the electric box is even closer to their house, I'm thinking rather than wasting my money on a lawyer I will just pay to have the road widened to the full 60ft in that area, to put the road even closer to his house.

Captain Dan
09-28-2004, 01:46 PM
I We've offered to go in and have it paved before but some of the neighbors don't want to or don't have the money to spend. The dust probably is an issue for them, but in my opinion they built their house too close to the road, it doesn't even meet county setback requirements. Here is a picture that I have from before the speed bumps, the easement area actually extends to past where the electric box is even closer to their house, I'm thinking rather than wasting my money on a lawyer I will just pay to have the road widened to the full 60ft in that area, to put the road even closer to his house.
A 60 foot access easement is quite wide, what you may have is an irrevocable offer of dedication to the County for a future public street, (when someone offers up the right-of-way for a street and the County doesn't yet need it, or want to maintain it, so they don't accept it, but they can - at a later date). You know a good civil engineer ? They can help direct you as to how you might get your hands on the documents for which the easement or dedication was originally granted. Your rights are defined by those documents. Building the road would be quite expensive, as you might guess.

572Daytona
09-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Believe me, I have copies of all of the deeds that have granted the easments to myself and my neighbors and have had the entire easment area surveyed. I know where the boundries are. The 60ft was a requirement by the county when the original landowner subdivided the lots, most likely as you say to cover a possible future situation where it would become a county road. I don't really want to spend the money on widening the road, but I don't think he understands that I and any of the other holders of the easement reserve that right, he's removed the survey markers that were up in his yard that marked the edge of the easment area and pretty much treats that as part of his front yard. If he thinks the dust is bad now, just wait until the road is 10ft closer to his house. Don't they make something you can spray on roads to keep the dust down? Why doesn't he just do that or put in a sprinkler system to keep the roadbed wet?

canuck1
09-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Don't they make something you can spray on roads to keep the dust down? Why doesn't he just do that or put in a sprinkler system to keep the roadbed wet?[/QUOTE]
they do, we use a product called dust stop, I think

Jbb
09-28-2004, 02:31 PM
I never confronted him, he came up to my wife when we were walking one night (after he had had a few beers, I guess to get his courage up) and got in her face and swearing at her telling her she drives too fast. I pretty told he that we don't drive too fast and he doesn't own the road and to mind his own business, it's gone downhill from there. Maybe I do need to invite JBB and his Bronx buddies to deal with the situation Unlike me, JBB lives in an exclusive gated community to keep the riffraff out ;)
We are already involved in a law suit with the true property owners over another matter (don't ask, another reason why I hate neighbors) so getting their help is most definitely out of the question. We've offered to go in and have it paved before but some of the neighbors don't want to or don't have the money to spend. The dust probably is an issue for them, but in my opinion they built their house too close to the road, it doesn't even meet county setback requirements. Here is a picture that I have from before the speed bumps, the easement area actually extends to past where the electric box is even closer to their house, I'm thinking rather than wasting my money on a lawyer I will just pay to have the road widened to the full 60ft in that area, to put the road even closer to his house.
Gotta love them gates...and gun turrets.. :wink: .....I miss the Jehovas Witness's coming by and interrupting my dinner though.... :)

ratso
09-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Don't they make something you can spray on roads to keep the dust down? Why doesn't he just do that or put in a sprinkler system to keep the roadbed wet?
they do, we use a product called dust stop, I think[/QUOTE]
Now all we need is some Canatard Stop... :D :D :D

canuck1
09-28-2004, 02:36 PM
they do, we use a product called dust stop, I think
Now all we need is some Canatard Stop... :D :D :D[/QUOTE]
That would be called snow

PlyaPlya22
09-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Well you are going to have to get along your neighbots...nobody wants to fell like a prisoner in their home. If you have already tried to talk to the guy reasonalbly. Time for step 2....Stop right in front of his place and do a burn out and kick up as much F U C K I * dust as possible everytime you come or go. :boxingguy

Desert Rat
09-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Don't they make something you can spray on roads to keep the dust down? Why doesn't he just do that or put in a sprinkler system to keep the roadbed wet?
If you don't have eco-nazi's like we do here in California a thin film of oil works great

Outnumbered
09-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Here is a product but it is not cheap.
http://soiltac.com/
I would not waste the energy on a pissing contest that no one will win. Just tell the guy you will slow down if he takes out the bumps and moves the beater. Then pitch in with the neighbors to get some more gravel down. It looks like the road is mostly dirt. BTW, he legally cannot block the easement but good luck enforcing it.
Good luck.
OL

Moe_Havi
09-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Not to be sour grapes here but this stuff can get real nasty real fast.......up where I live we had a couple neighbors that had a disagreement over an easement and some shrubbery.
Two of the neighbors are now dead....that were mothers, shot right in front of their kids in the driveway. The other one is going to trial now and headed for prison.
Whats really important?
Where do you live? Did you see that post about being invited to that wedding? Is there a wedding in your neighborhood in the next couple weeks?
Moe

Stealth Marine
09-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Speaking from my own personal experience.
I used to be the first house on a 2 mile long easment.
And my garage was only 5ft or so from the easment.
The dust was a HUGE pain in the butt.!!
Getting the neighbor and all of his guests and visitors to SLOW DOWN was just not an option.
Solution??
WE OILED THE ROAD.
It was CHEAP, FAST and very easy to maintain each year there after...
The dust went away, we kept the peace, and we all lived happily ever after (or at least as close as we could with the traffic)

Moe_Havi
09-28-2004, 02:55 PM
If you do have a pissing contest, do it on the road and that will keep the dust down.
Moe

Tom Brown
09-28-2004, 03:10 PM
I don't have any answers for you Jeff. All I know is that Kim Hanson, Hoolign, and four cases of beer will solve this problem. You could bring Ratso in but that would be overkill.

ratso
09-28-2004, 03:12 PM
I don't have any answers for you Jeff. All I know is that Kim Hanson, Hoolign, and four cases of beer will solve this problem. You could bring Ratso in but that would be overkill.
LMAO!!! :D

sanger rat
09-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Calcium Chloride is what they use to keep dust down. Why don't you look up dust control in your phone book. Have someone spray the whole road. Your cars would look much nicer. Thats my 2 cents.

DryHeatOnly
09-28-2004, 03:18 PM
I read a story about 7 or 8 months ago about a property owner in Beaumont (I'm serious) with an easment on a road. This person was actually not allowing use of the road which blocked 2 landowners from accessing their parcels. It was kinda sad because these people want to develop their land but according to the story, they didn't appear to have any legal grounds.
The area is near the PGA of America golf course on the south side of I-10...in Beaumont :eek:

NastyOne
09-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Just pave the f ucking thing.

PlyaPlya22
09-28-2004, 03:39 PM
walk up,knock on the door,AND KICK HIM IN THE JUNK!!!,(THATS HOW THEY DO IT IN BOUMONT)and tell him next time i'm KICKN YOUR ASS,then your dog :D
TTNB...You need a job in Beaumont

ratso
09-28-2004, 03:41 PM
TTNB...You need a job in Beaumont
The Beaumont Bouncer...

572Daytona
09-28-2004, 03:53 PM
lol...that's 4 cases each, right? I'm thinking that in addition to solving the problem it would also be very good for my wife's business. Lots of for sale signs in the neighborhood :)
I will look into having oil or something else put on the road, I'm sure I've got a couple of gallons of TCW-3, might as well put it to a better use

PlyaPlya22
09-28-2004, 04:15 PM
HOWS THIS :D
TTNB you need to have RUNNIN HARD..BEAUMONT STYLE....YOU KNOW HOW WE DO IT!!!(bold) incorporated in their.
I nominte you TTNB for the BEAUMONT BOUNCER...can I get a second?

SHOTKALLIN
09-28-2004, 05:20 PM
He probably thinks your a dickhead. you both might be. buy a case of beer, apologize, drink the beers with him. he is your neighbor! dammit! take up a colection and asphalt the damn road. its that simple. if your house catches fire I think you would rather him call 911 instead of pouring lighter fluid on it. :boxingguy

bonesfab
09-28-2004, 05:52 PM
you just need a couple of turn downs on the exhaust or side pipes. then throw him a couple revs (dust clouds) every time you go by. that should help the situation. or get it paved and save the paint chips on the boat & trailer.. i hate a@4holes that think they own the place. :p

coolchange
09-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Boy, you Beaumont types are really serious about your roads!
I think I'd be all over the point that some drunk got in my wifes face.

Buff
09-28-2004, 07:15 PM
How many of you share the easement? Half a dozen or so - for christ's sake - make up some flyers or better yet walk up and invite them to a simple bar-beque- get everyone together - appreciate one another. How bad can it hurt for everyone to go slow for a few hundred yards? It is about respect guys and girls. Your lower neighbor over-reacted so don't you over-over-react. End it. Take them boating. Life is too short to not enjoy your neighbors and vice-versa. At the risk of sounding a bit bossy - bleed off a bit of that testosterone. After a couple of beers and some self-effacing humor those stupoid speed bumps will be something you all can laugh about. buf

repo man
09-28-2004, 07:21 PM
put sprinklers along the road and wet it down a couple of times a day. :hammerhea

CEO
09-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Here's the deal. In order to get to our house we have an easement from the road across another person's property. Our neighbors also use this easement to get to their house, all in all about 6 houses use it. It is a single lane, gravel road, nothing fancy. Recently the first neighbor on the easement started complaining about people going to fast and creating dust. Where his house is there is a slight downward elevation and I checked and I'm doing somewhere between 15-20mph when I pass his house, basically idleing without riding the brake.
He confronted my wife and I one night saying we need to slow down, I told him we weren't speeding and to basically mind his own business. This past Saturday while we were out he took it upon himself to put in cement speed humps accross the easement in front of his house. I proceeded to go around them on the grass since the easment is 60ft wide (although the gravel road itself is only about 10ft wide). He has subsequently installed posts and parked one of his junk cars on the sides to make it impossible for me to go around.
What do I do? I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the legal authority to restrict my usage of the easement (remember he doesn't own the property, he just has an easment across it as well, can anyone with any legal knowledge comment on this?) And I really don't want to go out there and remove the speed humps myself as this will just escalate things and we have more to loose than him, if he takes it upon himself to start destroying property.
I would bitch slap that mofo and take a dump on his porch

racecar.hotshoe
09-28-2004, 07:38 PM
How many of you share the easement? Half a dozen or so - for christ's sake - make up some flyers or better yet walk up and invite them to a simple bar-beque- get everyone together - appreciate one another. How bad can it hurt for everyone to go slow for a few hundred yards? It is about respect guys and girls. Your lower neighbor over-reacted so don't you over-over-react. End it. Take them boating. Life is too short to not enjoy your neighbors and vice-versa. At the risk of sounding a bit bossy - bleed off a bit of that testosterone. After a couple of beers and some self-effacing humor those stupoid speed bumps will be something you all can laugh about. bufWithout skies......... :devil:

mike37
09-28-2004, 07:46 PM
he cant block your access in any way
ask him to remove the speed bump
if that doesn't work call the sheriff and have hem Tell the guy to remove it
and sloe down any thing over 5 to 10 mph will make a lot of dust
find the move cost effective way to keep the dust down
and get every one that you can to help pay not all will help but you may get
enough the make it possible

CrazyHippy
09-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Start going around the car too... right across his grass :eek: :2purples: :eek: