PDA

View Full Version : SAE Sound tests......for noise

FastTimmy
09-29-2004, 07:07 AM
Does anyone have copies of the the SAE test J34, J2005 and J1970? I am a SAE member and will by them but before I do I want to make sure that no one else has already done so. They will cost almost 150.00 bucks so I donÂ’t want to waste it.
To have the parameters or the rule that the ramp rangers need to follow will help us document the case even betterÂ…I figure that I can get them and write a synopsis (as to not infringe on the copy write) and we can post it!
On another note,
Even some of the boat manufacturers at the Long Beach show are not aware of some or all of the new laws. It is sadÂ…
Timmy

Essex502
09-29-2004, 07:12 AM
Does anyone have copies of the the SAE test J34, J2005 and J1970? I am a SAE member and will by them but before I do I want to make sure that no one else has already done so. They will cost almost 150.00 bucks so I donÂ’t want to waste it.
To have the parameters or the rule that the ramp rangers need to follow will help us document the case even betterÂ…I figure that I can get them and write a synopsis (as to not infringe on the copy write) and we can post it!
On another note,
Even some of the boat manufacturers at the Long Beach show are not aware of some or all of the new laws. It is sadÂ…
Timmy
Mike@ Rex Marine sent me copies of the J2005 and J1970 standards but he doens't have the J34. The copies aren't in great condition as they look like they were originally faxed to someone then photocopied. (Thanks Mike for what we have!) Cleaner copies as well as the J34 standard would be great.
The manufactures BETTER get aware as come January 1 it will be illegal to SELL a boat in California that doesn't meet the J2005 test procedure at 88 db(A).

FastTimmy
09-29-2004, 07:21 AM
We need to get these going.
I am curios as to how the test spells out throttle positions and test parameters. The vessal code says it reserves the right to modify the test as needed to meet technology but that means nothing. They must follow the test to the Letter if it is to hold up in court. I urge any one that is tested to pull out the camera before you start the test and document the whole thing.
Timmy

Essex502
09-29-2004, 07:26 AM
We need to get these going.
I am curios as to how the test spells out throttle positions and test parameters. The vessal code says it reserves the right to modify the test as needed to meet technology but that means nothing. They must follow the test to the Letter if it is to hold up in court. I urge any one that is tested to pull out the camera before you start the test and document the whole thing.
Timmy
The gist of the J2005 is:
Meter position is:
39" back from the transom
4' above the water
Throttle is at idle
J1970 is:
Shoreline - 50'
1 tester allowed within a certain distance and only behind the operator of the noise measuring device.
Noise meter held at arm's length
No surrounding structure to create reverberation or echos
May be conducted from shore or platform on water.
I assume the J34 is similar to the J1970.
I don't have either standard here in CA as I left both in LHC but that's what I remember.

FastTimmy
09-29-2004, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=Essex502]The gist of the J2005 is:
Meter position is:
39" back from the transom
4' above the water
Throttle is at idle
QUOTE]
I though I have already read that some was tested off idle for the J2005!
So the jist is that we are supposed to just trust the LHC LE to write down the real deal and TRUST the JeffÂ’s son or one of the good old boys who will be getting the boot from the LHC PD force is not going to be making stuff up!!
Now it sounds like we will need to be attacking the integrity of the LHC PD. That kinda sucks but I know for a fact that there is at least one crook for sure on there pay rollÂ…
Timmy

Rexone
09-29-2004, 09:00 AM
We are keying them in now. Anyone who wants is welcome to a copy when they're done just PM me. Couple days prolly. They are long. (Well for us slow typing bastards they are long). And unfortunately the copies are too poor for OCR scanning.