PDA

View Full Version : My puter is acting possessed

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 02:10 PM
I've run ad-aware. I've run AVG. These programs claim my system is clean. I use the mozilla browser, I have my Zone Alarm firewall set to stealth and I have pop-up stopper engaged. In the middle of browsing or posting more and more frequently my mouse pointer goes nuts and a bunch of stuff opens and closes rapidly and I can't stop it it just does that and I have to wait it out. Soon as it stops I reopen whatever programs it closed on me but I know it's gonna happen again. :( Anybody have any idea what is happening? Is it just a flaky mouse maybe? Is someone hacking in to my puter despite my firewall? Is there maybe a serious problem with my puter hardware innards? Mostly it's annoying but if my puter is about to blow up I wanna know so I can get it fixed. Thanks.

Huckleberry
09-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Call a priest immediately! It's time for an exorcism!!! :devil:

Scream
09-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Clean the mouse first, unplug it from the computer, take out the ball and remove all the gunk, unless it's optical then clean the eye and make sure it's on a steady surface. The buttons may be crudded up too. After that if it's still acting up I'd say it's a software issue.
Scream

Huckleberry
09-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Clean the mouse first, unplug it from the computer, take out the ball and remove all the gunk, unless it's optical then clean the eye and make sure it's on a steady surface. The buttons may be crudded up too. After that if it's still acting up I'd say it's a software issue.
Scream
Disregard all this gobblety gook stuff!!! Just call the priest! :D

racecar.hotshoe
09-30-2004, 02:20 PM
ScreamYou know for a prop checker your a pretty fart smeller! :D

Keithb87
09-30-2004, 02:21 PM
get a hold of Some Kind of Monster.. He's pretty good with that stuff.. :supp:

Scream
09-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks, while waiting for the stiches to heal up after my prop checkin jobs I have to have something to do..Besides, I'm stuck in Austin Tx right now and I'm bored. I'm so bored, I'm gonna watch the Bush Kerry Debate tonight...
Scream :skull:

Havasu_Dreamin
09-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Scream
DAMN! Turkey herder and a computer geek all in one! LMAO :p Good advice BTW.

racecar.hotshoe
09-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks, while waiting for the stiches to heal up after my prop checkin jobs I have to have something to do..Besides, I'm stuck in Austin Tx right now and I'm bored. I'm so bored, I'm gonna watch the Bush Kerry Debate tonight...
Scream :skull:Do we need to send you someone.Cause we have a lady here that has the fastest fingers............

Havasu_Dreamin
09-30-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm stuck in Austin Tx right now and I'm bored. I'm so bored, I'm gonna watch the Bush Kerry Debate tonight...
Scream :skull:
DAMN! I seriously encourage you to partake in some cerveza while doing that.

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Scream
Thanks Scream. I just cleaned my mouse as you suggested. There was a very tiny bit of dust in it - no grunge at all. When I plugged it back in my Sandbar window closed on me. :( I hope it is just the mouse - that'd be a relatively easy problem for me to get resolved.

Scream
09-30-2004, 02:45 PM
DAMN! Turkey herder and a computer geek all in one! LMAO Good advice BTW.
Thanks, been messin with machines a lot of years now, just as a hobby mostly, but I also do all the geekyh stuff at work, mainly cause nobody else want's to.
DAMN! I seriously encourage you to partake in some cerveza while doing that.
The Minibar is open! Only $4.00 a stinking beer too, what a bargain.
Do we need to send you someone.Cause we have a lady here that has the fastest fingers............
I'll be ok, and yes I know about those fast fingers...lol

BigDogIvan
09-30-2004, 03:00 PM
I've run ad-aware. I've run AVG. These programs claim my system is clean. I use the mozilla browser, I have my Zone Alarm firewall set to stealth and I have pop-up stopper engaged. In the middle of browsing or posting more and more frequently my mouse pointer goes nuts and a bunch of stuff opens and closes rapidly and I can't stop it it just does that and I have to wait it out. Soon as it stops I reopen whatever programs it closed on me but I know it's gonna happen again. :( Anybody have any idea what is happening? Is it just a flaky mouse maybe? Is someone hacking in to my puter despite my firewall? Is there maybe a serious problem with my puter hardware innards? Mostly it's annoying but if my puter is about to blow up I wanna know so I can get it fixed. Thanks.
Run a a full scandisk on it. If that doesn't do it. Nuke And Reinstall operating system. then go to microsoft and make sure you have all the updates. If that doesnt do it with the 12 pack while waiting, call ghost busters. :p :D
BD

Scream
09-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Run a a full scandisk on it. If that doesn't do it. Nuke And Reinstall operating system. then go to microsoft and make sure you have all the updates. If that doesnt do it with the 12 pack while waiting, call ghost busters. :p :D
BD
But do yourself a favor and DO NOT DOWNLOAD SERVICE PAK 2 for XP. I did at work and it sux flat out. Too many issues to list, but it sure doesn't like my Norton antivirus and it's a bitch downloading pdf's from websites and email.

100mbs
09-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Make sure you have all the current updates on your system from Microsoft but not XP SP2 if you are running XP.
Then Go download a new driver for you mouse.
If it is optical and you are placing the mouse on a Glass table top you will get these type eratic problems.
If that all doesnt work go buy another mouse they are cheap...

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 03:32 PM
BD
re-install? :2purples: I do not have anything backed up and I simply CAN'T lose everything that's on this machine! Not on purpose by my own hand anyway. :( I really hope it won't come down to that. :( :( :(
I will try running scan-disk :clover: and I will replace my mouse ... soon.
Thanks for your suggestions. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 03:35 PM
But do yourself a favor and DO NOT DOWNLOAD SERVICE PAK 2 for XP. I did at work and it sux flat out. Too many issues to list, but it sure doesn't like my Norton antivirus and it's a bitch downloading pdf's from websites and email.
I had the XP SP2 installed ages ago so the advice is a bit late. Could that be causing the kind of problem I'm having? :idea: If so is there anything I can do about it?

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Make sure you have all the current updates on your system from Microsoft but not XP SP2 if you are running XP.
Then Go download a new driver for you mouse.
If it is optical and you are placing the mouse on a Glass table top you will get these type eratic problems.
If that all doesnt work go buy another mouse they are cheap...
I don't actually know how to go about downloading a new mouse driver .. well yet anyway .. I'll figure it out. :o
I don't have an optical mouse (and I don't want one). I'll be getting a new mouse soon. Thanks for the advice. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 03:49 PM
I NEED A GHOSTBUSTER!!! :( (of the alcoholic beverage variety) no on second thought :idea: ... not just one ... I need several ... in a row. :notam:
Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.

Scream
09-30-2004, 03:51 PM
FM, it really sounds like a messed up mouse. You posted that AFTER plugging in the mouse your computer started acting up again?
When I plugged it back in my Sandbar window closed on me. I hope it is just the mouse
That's what it sounded like to me...try blowing the mouse out with AIR that is...lol It may be all sticky and dusty inside where the microswitch is under the button. Now I can't say how it got all sticky... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Scream
09-30-2004, 03:55 PM
I don't actually know how to go about downloading a new mouse driver .. well yet anyway .. I'll figure it out. :o
I don't have an optical mouse (and I don't want one). I'll be getting a new mouse soon. Thanks for the advice. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
Here's the long and short of it...
goto the website of the manufacturer of the mouse. Goto the support page. Downloads (usually) and then drivers. Most if not all hardware manufacturers will have available online updated drivers. Save it to your desktop (easy to find) and install it.
If that doesn't work, try this website http://www.driverguide.com I've had good luck finding stuff here that's not on the mfg website...
Scream

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 04:39 PM
I have a generic brand mouse and couldn't find a driver for it based on brand name but I found a driver compatible with the model number and have downloaded and installed it already. Now I'm just playing a waiting game to see if my beast is still possessed or not. :rolleyes: Thanks again eh Scream. :)

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 04:41 PM
FM, it really sounds like a messed up mouse. You posted that AFTER plugging in the mouse your computer started acting up again?
That's what it sounded like to me...try blowing the mouse out with AIR that is...lol It may be all sticky and dusty inside where the microswitch is under the button. Now I can't say how it got all sticky... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Okay now that I'm marginally less stressed ... LMFAO! OMG you're funny! :D Completely missed the gist of all that first time around! LOL! :D

boatslayer
09-30-2004, 04:44 PM
go here http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 05:07 PM
go here http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Thank-you boatslayer. :) I checked it out. I already have excellent anti-virus protection.
I still haven't run Scan Disk yet cuz I can't find it! I did a search for it (cute lil puppy helped me :D) and puter couldn't find any files with scandisk in the name either. I thought all Windows versions had Scan Disk? I must just be looking for it wrong or looking in the wrong places. :notam:

boatslayer
09-30-2004, 05:19 PM
yea i thought i had good virus protection until i found tred micro ,,
it will find almost any thing , just run it and im sure it will find something

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 05:31 PM
yea i thought i had good virus protection until i found tred micro ,,
it will find almost any thing , just run it and im sure it will find something
Well I tried to take your advice ... now I'm told I don't have the right plug-ins to install it ... I really need a stiff drink :D

boatslayer
09-30-2004, 05:36 PM
u went to the free scan right

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Yes I did. I don't have Netscape though I am using Mozilla Firefox. I was trying to avoid using IE too cuz I typically get bombarded by adware whenever I use it. Oh well that is what Ad-Aware is for. I'll try again using IE. :)

boatslayer
09-30-2004, 05:44 PM
yea ,, i would tri IE,,, and if it dusnt work the virus u may have mey be blocking the use of trend micro

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 05:48 PM
IE worked and microtrend is scanning right now. :) Thanks for your help.

boatslayer
09-30-2004, 05:53 PM
ur welcome , hey and when the scan is done just delete all the infected files that it found dont tri to clen them

boatslayer
09-30-2004, 06:32 PM
so how is the comp runing now

FMluvswater
09-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Not finished scanning yet but it did find 4 things so far and my usual anti-virus also was running at the same time (every night at 6) and it caught a trojan but I think that might have gotten in there since I used IE for the microtrend scan. Nothing possessed-ish has happened since I plugged in my mouse after cleaning it. :clover:

boatslayer
09-30-2004, 06:45 PM
haha ok