PDA

View Full Version : Going to Napa next weekend

Mandelon
09-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Any advice on where to visit???? Its our 15th anniversary.. Gonna hook up with some old friends and tour the winerys..... :confused:

hasty450
09-30-2004, 06:51 PM
I would definitely make it a point to visit Sattui Winery, by far one of the best I visited while there. It doesn't hurt that they weren't stingy with the samples either :D

Scream
09-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Good God there's way too many choices up there, Just go and have a good time. pace yourself and bring all your friends back samples...wine samples that is, I'm startin to see how your mind works...

Debbolas
09-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Awwwww, honey?
15 years!
Just like us!!
wait................where did we go for our 15th anniversary?
(I am so forgetfull) :wink:

Scream
09-30-2004, 07:23 PM
let's see, we drank wine at least, and plenty of it...

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-30-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm leaving tomorrow for one of the best weekends of the year! we have a friend who's family owns a winery.livingston wines (http://www.livingstonwines.com/content/index.html?CFID=61418&CFTOKEN=92112043)
we pick, we crush, we drink. PICK ME, CRUSH ME, MAKE ME WINE!
i would highly recommend Silver Oak, Oakville Ranch, and i suppose you have to give Coppola a quick look for the novelty. By all means rent a limo. Eat at the Rutherford Grille. Then pick any other restaurant of your choice because the food is off the hook.

21rayson
09-30-2004, 07:34 PM
her try this site.napa valley wineries (http://www.napavintners.com/)

Scream
09-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Isn't the French Laundry in Napa? It's rated in the top 10 in the US as far as restaurants are concerned...

That Guy
09-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Mandy: V. Sattui is a great choice as are some of the others noted. However, for a unique and very cool experience, visit Prager Port Works. Quaint, out of the way and not like any other place you will visit....plus some kick ass port and wine. The first time Mrs. Sbark1 and I visited this guy greets us at the door and says "Hi I'm Jim Prager and this is my winery" Lots of fun. Also if you can get into Le Toque (sp?) for dinner it is great. Congrats!!!

That Guy
09-30-2004, 07:37 PM
Scream is right. The French Laundry is also in town and is very good but I still recommend Le Toque.....have fun.

21rayson
09-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Isn't the French Laundry in Napa? It's rated in the top 10 in the US as far as restaurants are concerned...
yes it is i have not been there yet but i here it,s great.

Scream
09-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Shit Mandy, it doesn't matter where you eat, as long as you have enough wine...McDonalds would be good with enough wine...
"Might I suggest the McMerlot today sir with your fries"
Scream
By the way
Congratulations on 15, you're gettin really old... :D

dirty old man
10-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Don't miss the Wine Train, either the lunch trip or dinner ride. Really, really nice. The food and service is 5 star. Don't know if you'll need advanced reservations or not, but give it a try. It starts and ends from Napa.

Mrs. Restless22
10-01-2004, 07:25 AM
You'll be up in our part of the woods! :jawdrop: :D :D
Anywhere in Napa is beautiful.....Sonoma and Calistoga are also beautiful ;)

Lightning
10-01-2004, 08:18 AM
The Kenwood Winery is nice, so is Stagg's Leap over on the Silverado Trail. If you like champagne, I suggest you check out Mumm's, which is up the road from Stagg's Leap.
As far as food, French Laundry is a nice place, you may want to call and make reservations - be ready to break out the Benjamin's.

Dave C
10-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Mandy,
two things.
If you want to go wine tasting, take a few hour limo tour (avoids the 23) ;). Go from Napa north to Calistoga and stop "anywhere" you wish along the road. There are literally dozens of great wineries right there along the road. Thats the fun part, trying new places no one ever heard of. I try 15-20 places first then return the next day to buy my favorite.
Food, V. Sattui (casual) or the culinary academy (formal)
If you want to kick back and enjoy the scenery.. take the wine train. It doesn't stop enough for wine tasting but its relaxing nonetheless.
Did I mention that the lake is 15 minutes to the east? :D Berryessa.
You should have a great time.

Mrs. Restless22
10-01-2004, 08:20 AM
Did I mention that the lake is 15 minutes to the east? :D Berryessa.
You should have a great time.
:jawdrop: Shall we plan a trip in honor of him being in Norcal?? :rollside: :p

Dave C
10-01-2004, 08:21 AM
wassup, hows things? :D
I wish..... too busy.

Mrs. Restless22
10-01-2004, 08:22 AM
Well its about 40 degrees out....and ready to rain....so its probably best. ;)
Although we have been known to go boating in the rain! :D

Jordy
10-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Robert Mondavi is a good place to start if you're not familiar with the whole wine process and what grapes make what wines. They have a couple tours, go with the longer one, like an hour, maybe hour and 1/2. They'll run you through the geography of the area, what grapes are grown where, how the climate affects the wines, then you walk out into the vinyards and taste the different grapes that make the different wines. They also give samples at the end and couple it with food to show how a wine can compliment a certain dish. Very good place to start.
Other than that, Cakebread is really good and it's right accross from Robert Mondavi. Copola is very impressive, although we didn't do the tour or tasting there as it was packed. Up towards Calistoga, there is a winery (I believe it's Sterling) that you take a ski gondola up to the top of the little mountain the winery is on. They have incredible views and go in depth on the aging and smoking of the barrels and how that affects the flavors in the wines.
For an anniversary, I highly suggest the culinary institute. We had dinner there and it was incredible. Reservations are a must. ;)

boxscore
10-01-2004, 08:35 AM
Definately V. Sattui for hanging outside bread, cheese, and lil gamay beujolais. Weather should be clutch. Have fun Mandy

Dave C
10-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Copola is a big lib..... :p
Copola is very impressive, although we didn't do the tour or tasting there as it was packed. Up towards Calistoga, there is a winery (I believe it's Sterling) that you take a ski gondola up to the top of the little mountain the winery is on.

Jordy
10-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Copola is a big lib..... :p
We didn't spend a cent there, but the grounds are amazing. There is a whole collection of movie memoribilia in the main entry. Old movie projectors and the like. I've had some of their wine in the past and it didn't do much for me.

dirty old man
10-01-2004, 09:35 AM
last time I was there, it seems the wine tasting was about $5.00 to $25.00 per glass, is that still about right?

SHOCKWAVETOM
10-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Make sure you stop at a place called Duck Horn. A buddy of mine that I grew up with named Bruce Willis works there. Tell him you are a friend of Tom Winters and he will look after you. Their wine is very, very good and it is a classy place. Your wife will appreciate it...I guarantee it.
Also visit Cake Bread....Great Chardonay wines :)
There is a little...well, not so little anymore place called Stone Gate which is on your way to Calistoga. They were really good as an independant and then got bought out by some British Conglomerate. I suspect it is probably not as personal now but the wines were excellant. Enough so that I bought a case of it :)

SHOCKWAVETOM
10-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Robert Mondavi is a good place to start if you're not familiar with the whole wine process and what grapes make what wines. They have a couple tours, go with the longer one, like an hour, maybe hour and 1/2. They'll run you through the geography of the area, what grapes are grown where, how the climate affects the wines, then you walk out into the vinyards and taste the different grapes that make the different wines. They also give samples at the end and couple it with food to show how a wine can compliment a certain dish. Very good place to start.
Other than that, Cakebread is really good and it's right accross from Robert Mondavi. Copola is very impressive, although we didn't do the tour or tasting there as it was packed. Up towards Calistoga, there is a winery (I believe it's Sterling) that you take a ski gondola up to the top of the little mountain the winery is on. They have incredible views and go in depth on the aging and smoking of the barrels and how that affects the flavors in the wines.
For an anniversary, I highly suggest the culinary institute. We had dinner there and it was incredible. Reservations are a must. ;)
I can't believe I actually agree with you on the Cake Bread and culinary institute stuff Jordy. Amazing but true :)
When we ate at the CI I was burnt out on the wine and tried to get a BL...Should have seen their face...The HORROR!

Jordy
last time I was there, it seems the wine tasting was about $5.00 to $25.00 per glass, is that still about right?
It all depends on the winery and what tours you do. I think the Robert Mondavi tour was about $25 but they spent alot of time with you and you got to sample 5 or 6 wines and some food. Off the top of my head, that's ballpark though. I'm thinking $5 was around the average to taste, and usually you got a souvenier wine glass to take with you.

Jordy
I can't believe I actually agree with you on the Cake Bread and culinary institute stuff Jordy. Amazing but true :)
And I have it in writing too. :D

HCS
10-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Any advice on where to visit???? Its our 15th anniversary.. Gonna hook up with some old friends and tour the winerys..... :confused:
Dude, you can't go wrong. Rent a Limo. You don't want a DUI.
Me and some freinds rented a Limo and took the tour through the country.
You can't go wrong. The Limo drivers will set it all up. They know where to
go. I have never had some much fun!!! We rocked all day long.

SHOCKWAVETOM
10-01-2004, 09:40 AM
And I have it in writing too. :D
Just like the DOdgers...every now and then shit happens.....lol

Powerquestboy
10-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Hess
Rombauer
Clos Pegas
St. Supery
Cakebread
Chandon (Champagne)

Hallett19
10-01-2004, 09:51 AM
get a limo!! after 2 wineries you will be faded, after 3, you will be housed and after 4 you will be f-ed up, after 5 wineries, you wont remember how to start your car up !!

HCS
10-01-2004, 09:53 AM
get a limo!! after 2 wineries you will be faded, after 3, you will be housed and after 4 you will be f-ed up, after 5 wineries, you wont remember how to start your car up !!
That's what we did. It was bitchen.

SHOCKWAVETOM
10-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Hess
Rombauer
Clos Pegas
St. Supery
Cakebread
Chandon (Champagne)
Raumbauer...I think thats how you spell it is also top notch wine :). One of my favorites. I can't believe I forgot them.....

lucky
10-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Don't miss the Wine Train, either the lunch trip or dinner ride. Really, really nice. The food and service is 5 star. Don't know if you'll need advanced reservations or not, but give it a try. It starts and ends from Napa.
hey mandi - don't rule out mendo ( 40 miles up the road ) great wines area-
are ya gonna be up a few days come drink with me and the wife - -- if your driving - clear lake is still full and nice - byob - bring your own boat - -- I live in ukiah,ca www.mendocino.com

Mandelon
10-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks you guys. I knew experienced drinkers like you would have good ideas... :messedup:
I am going to print the whole thread and take it with me!! :D

burtandnancy
10-01-2004, 01:14 PM
so, are you going on the wine train?

vodkarocks
10-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Del Dotto is a great place to go. They take you through the cave where they keep the wine and give you some of the best chocolate I have ever had

Hallett19
10-01-2004, 02:48 PM
I took my girlfriend Lisanne to Cambria this last Feb. and it was an AMAZING trip. We drove over the most beautiful green rolling hills until we came to a peak overlooking the ocean, overcast skys, but very clear, cool and had just stopped raining...... I was breathless. After about another 20 min drive, we pull into town, stopped at a little sidwalk farmers market and bought some olives and some flowers for out hotel room, real cool. We stayed at the Fog Catcher Inn, had a room over looking the sea, in fact, the beach was across the street from out room, that was amazing. Then the wineries up there were awesome, Mastantuano, Meridian, Symphony, we hit probably 7 or 8 in a matter of 2 days. Then we went to see Hearst castle and that was really cool.
If you guys ever get a chance, take your women (if you like them) up there and bring a digi cam for the scenery and a camcorder for the bedroom because you will be :hammer2: (hittin' it) all weekend, I guarantee !!

Ms. AquaBoogie1
10-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Hey Mandelon, another great place to go to is Ledson Winery.....It is a castle and just beautiful!! We have belonged to it for 2 yrs now and loving it!!!
Here is the link......http://www.ledson.com/

Mrs. Restless22
10-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Hey Mandelon, another great place to go to is Ledson Winery.....It is a castle and just beautiful!! We have belonged to it for 2 yrs now and loving it!!!
Here is the link......http://www.ledson.com/
You are sooo right!! I forgot to mention that place. That is my absolute favorite winery...stunning surrounding and beautiful inside. You can get lunch there and eat right in the vineyard.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/833ledson.jpg

Lightning
10-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Who are those hookers??? :D

Mrs. Restless22
10-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Who are those hookers??? :D
Why...did you date one of them in high school?? :p

Ms. AquaBoogie1
10-01-2004, 03:36 PM
You are sooo right!! I forgot to mention that place. That is my absolute favorite winery...stunning surrounding and beautiful inside. You can get lunch there and eat right in the vineyard.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/833ledson.jpg
Hey you. I just love it. I get 2 bottles every other month. I let it build up to about 6 bottles and go up there and get all the wine tasting I want. Great place!! :D

Lightning
10-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Why...did you date one of them in high school?? :p
You never know..... I would need to see a close up to anwser that question.

spectratoad
10-02-2004, 06:04 PM
The wife and I went to Paos Robles a few weeks back. Accoding to the guide I picked up there are around 100 wineries there and in San Luis Obispo there are about another 85.
We had the kids with us so we only stopped in to a couple. They seemed to be what Napa was a long time ago. Personable and cheaper. Don't get me wrong I do like going to Napa and we do often go. Sonoma is alot of fun too.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
10-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Mandelon- i just got back and can suggest Cakebread is a must but make a reservation today. beyond that, check out Miner, ZD, and Del Dotto. but be sure you do not make plans after Del Dotto. You get your mony's worth over there. they may change the name to Del Blotto........ :cool:

SHOCKWAVETOM
10-04-2004, 12:39 PM
The wife and I went to Paos Robles a few weeks back. Accoding to the guide I picked up there are around 100 wineries there and in San Luis Obispo there are about another 85.
We had the kids with us so we only stopped in to a couple. They seemed to be what Napa was a long time ago. Personable and cheaper. Don't get me wrong I do like going to Napa and we do often go. Sonoma is alot of fun too.
Stop at Black Star in PR....Good peeps and great wine. They also put on a gourmet dinner party once a month. At least they used to.....

Mandelon
10-04-2004, 02:20 PM
We had a nice time.....flight from SD was late, but we drank in the bar so we didn't care. Friends watched our kids.
Arrived in Sac around 7:30 and went to some Brewery for an decent dinner with good beer. Stayed at their place in town Friday night.
Saturday morning up early and headed for Napa. First stop was CakeBread where we had some very good sampling and a detailed tour. I asked our host all sorts of inane questions but he had answers for all of them. Next we went to Francis Ford Coppola's dealio. It was clean and well done. The wines were so-so, and they couldn't get rid of some Rose' they had tons of. They did have some great bread to keep my palate cleansed in between glasses. I wasn't pouring any of mine in the buckets, either. :rollside:
We had lunch at the Rutherford Grill, which was good food, but slowest service I've had in years.........I have drinking to do, lady, lets go.... :rolleyes: :notam: There was a little Mexican market down the block that had great smelling food from the kitchen. WE bought a fourpak of RedBulls to keep us going.
Next we hit up the Sterling Vinyards that had the tram ride. Nice views, good wine but a bit stingy with the samples. The Merlot was my favorite their.
Then over to the Clos Pegase which had lots of cool art and a nice new setup going on. Party atmosphere, no charge for samples and very astringent acidy wines :yuk: Would not recommend them.
We then headed to Merryvale which in my opinon had the best wines of the day.....perhaps I was a bit buzzed at this point, but I think I was correct. We ended up buying a Syrrah and Merlot to take home. The Cabs were good too.
We had a room at some overpriced motel, and dinner at a nice Italian joint in the little town. Had a few beers at the local pub and then back to the room for some late night action :devil:
Thanks for the advice. Not a cheap weekend, but still lots of fun and different from the usual. RB gives it two thumbs up. :smile:

burtandnancy
10-04-2004, 02:45 PM
After its all over, I still like two buck chuck. I'm not sofisticated enough to know the difference between good cheap wine and bad expensive stuff. A wine guy I know says that if you decant 2 buck for half an hour, it becomes $18.00/bottle wine?

HCS
10-04-2004, 02:51 PM
The more you drink the better the wine gets. Heck, you were right in my
stomping gounds. I could have met you at the pub Friday night for a beer. :chi:

Mandelon
10-04-2004, 03:30 PM
I was pretty disappointed in the cost of all the wines. I kind of expected some warehouse type skip the middleman prices, but I was waaaaay wrong on that.
The cheaper bottles started around $45 and went up from there. :yuk: I will stick with Trader Joes......we buy a lot of the Australian Shirazzes.... :boxed: :boxed:
The two Buck Chuck is made from rejects at these same growers. If the vintner is not happy with the taste he sells it to these middleman guys, and they blend it to make it better. Charles Shaw is that kind of deal.

Dave C
10-04-2004, 03:48 PM
no shizzle. I know some vinters and they explained to me that they sell lots of wine in bulk on the wholesale market. If they can't or don't want to sell it then they sell it in bulk before they bottle it. Especially if they can't sell the prior year which is already bottled then they sell the new stuff that is still in the barrel.
Thats how they tell how good the market is by how much ends up in bulk on the wholesale market.
news to me, interesting stuff. :idea:
BTW "cheap wine" .. you crack me up. :rollside: ;)
The two Buck Chuck is made from rejects at these same growers. If the vintner is not happy with the taste he sells it to these middleman guys, and they blend it to make it better. Charles Shaw is that kind of deal.

EricU
10-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I was pretty disappointed in the cost of all the wines. I kind of expected some warehouse type skip the middleman prices, but I was waaaaay wrong on that.
The cheaper bottles started around $45 and went up from there. :yuk: I will stick with Trader Joes......we buy a lot of the Australian Shirazzes.... :boxed: :boxed:
You guys drive around in $100k to $200k and up boats,that you can't even ski behind and you bitch about paying $45 for a bottle of wine?!!!
Some of the wines are overpriced, I agree. But it is supply and demand. What is relly funny is drinking beer with guys that make $1,000 bottles of wine.
The best thing to do if you enjoy wines or mirco-brews is have your friends over and have a blind taste party.
And Two-Buck Chuck is not a Napa wine, it is owned and run by the Bronco winery from the California Central Valley area, you know Fresno and Modesto. Crap wine, good marketing.
If you want to try some less expensive wines, try Hess, Copala, Prisoner (hard to get), or try some of the wines from Spain.

burtandnancy
10-04-2004, 05:06 PM
You can't discourage me, I still buy Charles Shaw (two buck chuck) at Traders for $24.00 per case. If its made up of rejects, I don't care. If I pour my guests a glass from the decantor, they always say how great it is. Of course I don't have any wine snobs for friends.
I respect the wineries from preventing discounters in their area. Price cutters will be the economic downfall of this country. Don't get me started...