PDA

View Full Version : What is the best GPS to get?

upsman105
09-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Thinking about getting a gps for my boat what does everybody reccommend?
Suggestions appreciated, are you guys mounting them or just using handhelds?

Kilrtoy
09-30-2004, 08:59 PM
One that works :smile: :smile:
ok i have heard different opinions.
Go with what is best for YOU....

Kindsvater Flat
09-30-2004, 09:00 PM
I have a garmin etrex for the boat and a garmin V for the pickup. Both work great and are easy to use. 100 or less for the etrex and close to 400 for the V with all the mapping.

SBullet
09-30-2004, 09:12 PM
I have a Gaffrig GPS Speedo on my Boat!!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
09-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Garmin Street Pilot.....
Color moving map.....
I have the Pilot version which is a GPS Map 295.
Its portable....from the boat to the car, to the plane, to the rental car.....
LOVE it....
CJG
:cool:

XtrmWakeborder
09-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Ive got the garmin etrex legend works great...and has some decent maps on it when you buy it. The only thing i wish is the cursor to move so i can see whats coming up when its zoomed in, instead of zooming out. Anyone have one of these, can they do this? or do i need another one and what would it be?

Uplink
10-01-2004, 02:23 AM
I use the Garmin GPS III plus (http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsIIIp/) now called the GPS V. (http://www.garmin.com/products/gps5/) , its very boating and hiking friendly. I just download the detail maps into it from the CD. I attach it to the dash with 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners, (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/manufacturing_industry/engineered_adhesives/node_GSX2VNCPQBbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_WHG0MWH6QPge/gvel_QM7L6GDVFXgl/theme_us_adhesivetape_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html) attached to the mobile bracket. (available at West Marine) works great! :)
Mark

SHOCKWAVETOM
10-01-2004, 05:41 AM
Just curious as to why you really need a GPS? I can understand if you were running in the ocean but I just don't see the "need" for one. Is it more a want item? Anybody want to tell me the benefits and models available? This way we can stay on topic....

uvindex
10-01-2004, 05:48 AM
Just curious as to why you really need a GPS?Even on lakes, I find having a GPS very useful. First, it gives you accurate speed, of course. It lets you mark favorite spots ("waypoints") like coves, or if you lose some sunglasses or something you can mark that spot too so you can come back to it later. Once you have waypoints set up ("sandbar", "parker dam", etc) you can set a "GO TO" to your waypoint, and the GPS will tell you the distance to the point, plus estimated time to that point based on current speed (it also tells you the direction of the point, of course). Finally, if you go to Lake Powell, a GPS comes in REALLY handy, just because everything is so big there and lots of places look alike there. :)

OGShocker
10-01-2004, 05:55 AM
This is a good unit.IMHO
GARMIN (http://www.gps4fun.com/gar_gpsmap276c.php)

PHX ATC
10-01-2004, 06:20 AM
Garmin here as well. Plenty old, it's a III+ and still works like a champ.
Of course, I still have yet to bring it on the boat. :supp:

gramps
10-01-2004, 06:31 AM
Just curious as to why you really need a GPS? I can understand if you were running in the ocean but I just don't see the "need" for one. Is it more a want item? Anybody want to tell me the benefits and models available? This way we can stay on topic....
ON Lake Powell I use the livin' crap outta mine..........the speed function is nice. The built in map show all the names of the coves, locations of the marinas and it's nice to mark the shallow spots for future prop checks. Also if you have ever been on Powell at night when there is no moon the tracking feature can save your a**, it can get pretty scary driving around out there not knowing where the rocks are.

simple
10-01-2004, 06:34 AM
;) Hand helds with the 12v adapter. I use it when we leave the house until we get to our destinations. You can program which fields (up to 8) on one of the screens. You can get elevation, speed, elapsed time, actual running time, idle time, etc.. That way you track how long you stopped as well as overall times.
Also, with your preset waypoints (coordinates), you can toggle over to see how many miles it is to the sandbar when you're in work traffic.
I have found out that my speedometer in my boat is just about as accurate as the GPS. :clover:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-01-2004, 06:34 AM
I have a fereno, it has speedo, course mapping, compus etc

bigd1
10-01-2004, 07:16 AM
I use mine to mark all the hazards like everyone else. There are a couple of random trees sticking out of the water in a couple of spots and are impossible to see at night. It's funny to whip out the GPS and then have everybody try to figure out where we are in relation to the tree. It's amazing how wrong you can be in the dark, even if you boat in the same areas all the time. You can be rolling along and look at the GPS and say "It's supposed to be off to the right about 30 yards, and sure enough, there it is". Ain't technology great?

Uplink
10-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Great gadget for the big lakes like Powell, helps on nightime cruises too, here's a tracklog from our last trip....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/194tracklog.jpg
Mark

KACHINA KEN
10-01-2004, 03:34 PM
The UNIDEN MYSTIC kicks ass too + it has a built in VHF radio + distress button + it is submersible and it's only $325

Kim Hanson
10-01-2004, 03:58 PM
I have the Magellan 310, works great and it was free...Saftey Award points! :cool: ......( . )( . ).........

King on the River
10-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Which company has the best maps of Colorado river lakes (most detail- information)?

Parker Dreamin
11-21-2004, 09:30 AM
anybody ?