PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Decking

erieboater
10-01-2004, 07:33 AM
I am in the process of building a new house and looking for feedback on exterior decking products. I would like to use tongue & groove since it will be on the second level. Does anyone have any advice they would like to share?

NashvilleBound
10-01-2004, 07:35 AM
www.trex.com You will not regret spending the money upfront.

rivercrazy
10-01-2004, 07:46 AM
I totally agree with NB. I built 2 decks out at the river made of that stuff 3-4 years ago. Still looks as good as the day I installed it. And its subject to intense sun, heat, wind, cold, etc.
Its heavy, expensive, but worth it. And forget about needing to paint it.
Just build your substructure out of treated wood and reduce the joist width to at least 16" on center and use 2x8's for a really solid deck floor.
I also built my railing out of Trex as well.
Oh and one more thing. Termites are not attracted to this stuff either....

erieboater
10-01-2004, 08:35 AM
I totally agree with NB. I built 2 decks out at the river made of that stuff 3-4 years ago. Still looks as good as the day I installed it. And its subject to intense sun, heat, wind, cold, etc.
Its heavy, expensive, but worth it. And forget about needing to paint it.
Just build your substructure out of treated wood and reduce the joist width to at least 16" on center and use 2x8's for a really solid deck floor.
I also built my railing out of Trex as well.
Oh and one more thing. Termites are not attracted to this stuff either....
Thank you for the info. That is what I am looking for no maint. and able to stand up to the heat and cold.