PDA

View Full Version : Rolex question

dimarcobros
10-01-2004, 11:21 AM
How can you tell if one is real?
DMB

ROZ
10-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Hit it really hard with a 10lbs sledge hammer. If it breaks, it's, well, broken. I have no idea if this will prove anyting, but it sounds fun :D

racecar.hotshoe
10-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Be careful there was a guy at our homestead race trying to sell a rolex,Our crew chief was going to buy it I looked at it and laughed it said folex on it ......I should have let him buy it... :hammerhea

RiverOtter
10-01-2004, 11:28 AM
I think its this.
If it ticks its a fake. Rolex have a smooth moving second hand.
But thats just what I heard/remember. I wouldn't buy one, not my style. As a matter of fact, watches aren't my style.
Forensic
You are correct sir :cool:

dimarcobros
10-01-2004, 11:31 AM
I think its this.
But thats just what I heard/remember. I wouldn't buy one, not my style. As a matter of fact, watches aren't my style.
Forensic
I thought it depends on what type it is for the ticking, Submariner vs. whatever. ????
DMB

mbrown2
10-01-2004, 11:41 AM
They have fakes that have perpetual motion (automatic) as well....it subtleties that make the difference...color of the gold, the oyster case, the band...the back of it how the engraving is...

MOBrien
10-01-2004, 11:41 AM
I'm not a watch manufacturer or salesman but......
From what I know, all Rolex's operate with their signature sweeping motion that doesn't "tick" from second to second.
Rolex isn't as good as the price tag it carries anymore. If you're going to purchase a watch in the high-end category, there are much better options these days. Do some research and you'll end up with a nicer timepiece in a smiliar price range.
That's my $.02

LVJAKAZ
10-01-2004, 11:45 AM
All Rolex watches have a smooth second moving hand they do NOT tick and under the Rolex logo it says oyster perputal at the top of the watch.
Good Luck :)

OutCole'd
10-01-2004, 11:46 AM
I think it depends on the cost. If it less than $100.00 it is not a Rolex. I hope this helped. :cool:

MOBrien
10-01-2004, 11:47 AM
MBrown is right on with those points as well....
I think the really good fakes have what appears to be a sweeping motion, but has a VERY subtle hitch to the motion instead of being a smooth turn. Whatever you do, research your seller with stuff like this anyway and obviously make the purchase from a reputable source & not from someone on the street with 50 watches dangling from the inside of his trenchcoat.
good luck.

MsDrmr
10-01-2004, 11:48 AM
if YOU can't tell, what does it matter?

ROZ
10-01-2004, 11:50 AM
I think it depends on the cost. If it less than $100.00 it is not a Rolex. I hope this helped. :cool:
Cool, I was worried there for a minuite. I paid 150.00 :D

OutCole'd
10-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Cool, I was worried there for a minuite. I paid 150.00 :D
No worries bud, you got the real deal. fo sho.

rrrr
10-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Everyone sez Rolexes are expensive. Ha! When I was in New York City last week I bought a stainless GMT from a nice fellow on the street.
Only cost $35. :jawdrop: :D :D

Steamin' Rice
10-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Like others have said, look at the sweep of the second hand first. If it ticks, then move on. If it is a smooth sweep, then that is a good sign. You wil need to look closer to see if it is the real deal or a fake. I think that there are some pretty good fakes out there now.
If you are buying one and the price just seems to be too low, I would suspect that it's fake. I would try to buy from a reputabe dealer if possible. Happy shopping!!

TOBTEK
10-01-2004, 12:27 PM
NO,NO,NO...if you look VERY closley a real Rolexes second hand it DOES click VERY VERY slightly (huge misconspection!) at a glance they appear to be completly smooth! YOU HAVE TO take the watch to a certified ROLY dealer and check the movement...period
I was give a very expensive fake Daytona a few years back, and I had rolex dealers threw my office that didnt know it wasn't real! I found a blackmarket Rolex dealer in LaJolla(sells imported rolex's from out of the contry) that has very good deals on real Rolex's. Ron Kazemaini at www.u-click.com or 858-456-8517 Ben Bridge or other dlr's can even get close to his prices.....peace

Roxysnow
10-01-2004, 12:28 PM
It's so difficult to tell now! You can go to TJ and get a perpetual motion Molex. Supposively the hand movement is different. Also the fakes will tarnish quickly. I you buy one, go to a dealer, I wouldn't trust ebay either, only specific dealers are license to sell them. But it is almost impossible to tell. My friend bought a Molex alomost identical to mine. And I couldn't even tell the difference. Scary! Same with all the other fake brands. Good luck!

Roxysnow
10-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Everyone sez Rolexes are expensive. Ha! When I was in New York City last week I bought a stainless GMT from a nice fellow on the street.
Only cost $35. :jawdrop: :D :D
LOL! What corner?

CEO
10-01-2004, 12:30 PM
DMB
Take it to to a jeweler

Roxysnow
10-01-2004, 12:31 PM
if YOU can't tell, what does it matter?
That's what I used to say til I bought a real one! It's a mental thing.

Roxysnow
10-01-2004, 12:32 PM
I think they're manufactured in Beaumont!

OGShocker
10-01-2004, 12:36 PM
DMB
Go to a place you can trust! A guy with a crack pipe in one hand and a watch in the other would not be someone I would buy a Rowlacks from. :crossx:

Froggystyle
10-01-2004, 12:54 PM
I have both, and the fake is not really all that obvious. It is the "good" fake though, with a quasi perpetual motion movement. The big keys in the side by side comparo on mine are as follows.
The sweep is nearly identical with the new movements on the fake. Tought to tell without putting them side by side. All I can say is, the Rolly looks smoother somehow.
Quality. You can tell by the band sooner than anything else. The fake bands are far less well made. Hollow pins, cheezy clasp with a poorly stamped crown on the latch. Sharp edges on the clasp as well, and made from zinced sheet metal. In addition, the quality of all the printing or badging is poor on the fake. Screened logos in the visible movement (Rolex has a solid stainless rear) and lack of detail on the reverse of the watch.
Adjustment knob is sloppy on the fake, and very smooth on the real deal The engagement is accurate and solid on the real one.
Alignment of the face to the dial.
Accurate feel on the adjustable ratcheting elapsed time ring on the outside lots of small, accurate feeling clicks, not big sloppy ones.
Diamonds are obviously bogus, and poorly set in the hour marks. The Rolex is very, very cleanly set.
As was mentioned, the imposter looks like shit with moderate use, and the plating is all coming off. I used it for an everyday watch until I got a Nixon. I like the Nixon a lot, and it was under $150.

al cole'holic
10-01-2004, 01:25 PM
DMB
..when you buy it from the Rolex dealer :hammerhea

Stealth Marine
10-01-2004, 01:53 PM
DMB
There are several grades of "Fake" Rolexes on the market.
The best ones are IMPOSSIBLE to tell from the real McCoy UNLESS YOU OPEN them and inspect the internal Assembly.
This is a link to a swiss company that makes Grade 1 replicas.
http://www.idealwatches.com/index-fake-rolex.htm
Most trained Rolex retailers would be unable to determine this is a fake without opening the watch.

Lightning
10-01-2004, 01:54 PM
..when you buy it from the Rolex dealer :hammerhea
A Rolex dealer that has certified papers on the watch.

Hallett19
10-01-2004, 03:06 PM
I have a SMOKIN' knock off Rolex, they are the way to go if you like Rolex watches. It has the perpetual motion with almost no difference from a real one. A friend of mine owns Ashanti jewlers in San Marino and says the motion is ideal, the band and the case are aweful. I have seen many knock offs, battery powered and perpetual, and the bands are flimsy and make noise, the cases scuff easy and the faces usually dont look real intricate. The magnification on the date is usually really bad too. If you think its fake or the price is cheap, its probably fake. If it is fake, dont spend any more than $30 on it. Froggystyle and I got 2 awesome looking watches from TJ for $40, for both. Mine was BLING BLING to the max, his was real conservative and looked much better than mine, but I wanted my wrist to look ICE COLD !!!

Jordy
10-01-2004, 03:07 PM
All Rolex watches have a smooth second moving hand they do NOT tick and under the Rolex logo it says oyster perputal at the top of the watch.
Good Luck :)
They have genuine Rolex's with a quartz movement now too. That is, it ticks.
Here is everything you'd want to know:
http://www.iq-enterprises.com/pages/rolex_or_replica.htm

Stealth Marine
10-01-2004, 03:23 PM
They have genuine Rolex's with a quartz movement now too. That is, it ticks.
Here is everything you'd want to know:
http://www.iq-enterprises.com/pages/rolex_or_replica.htm
That is a GREAT source of information!

PHX ATC
10-01-2004, 03:28 PM
That is a GREAT source of information!
I think Jordy should be the research librarian of Beaumont! :D

gramps
10-01-2004, 03:29 PM
just go to a dealer you trust and buy a Tag...................

moneysucker
10-01-2004, 03:50 PM
You can tell if a person has a real one when you ask what time it is and they tell tou it is around... or about...time. Buy a Knock off it will tell time better. Girls notice my DKNY's and Free style watches more than the Rolex. Pisses me off a little. To really tell the differences you will have put the fake by the real one.

Jordy
10-01-2004, 03:52 PM
To really tell the differences you will have put the fake by the real one.
Not if you know what to look for. The differences become even clearer when they are side by side. ;)

Cheap Thrills
10-01-2004, 04:00 PM
I think its this.
Forensic
Correct it's generally reffered to a "sweep second " 16 step
check the lettering stamps and the movement , all lettering is clean all stamps are clear & precise Rolexs are perfect Ive seen many copies that are close but you can usually tell by the craftsmanship use an eye loop to examine the markings like I said a Rolex is perfect . even the Tudor made by Rolex is Perfect in detail .
C.T. :wink:

Charley
10-02-2004, 07:47 PM
On this subject if anyone is interested in a TUDOR Tiger Woods chronograph watch PM me
Tudor = good watch ;)

Cheap Thrills
10-02-2004, 08:02 PM
On this subject if anyone is interested in a TUDOR Tiger Woods chronograph watch PM me
Tudor = good watch ;)
OOOoooooooo :) wish I had the dough to blow , but between boats, engines, computers and my fourty eleven other hobbies I dont think I could swing it . Post a pic , maybe I'll break into the rainy day account.
C.T. :wink:

Sleek-Jet
10-02-2004, 08:37 PM
One word... Timex. :D

Bling Bling
10-02-2004, 09:52 PM
All this info is great but the real test is wear it 4 a few days. If it losses the correct time, you have a real one. I have a Rolex in the 18k range, and it holds time like shit! I agree with a few comments before, you can find a better watch. I just bought a Baume & Mercier all stainless for 2k, best watch I ever owned.

moneysucker
10-02-2004, 10:01 PM
All this info is great but the real test is wear it 4 a few days. If it losses the correct time, you have a real one. I have a Rolex in the 18k range, and it holds time like shit! I agree with a few comments before, you can find a better watch. I just bought a Baume & Mercier all stainless for 2k, best watch I ever owned.
That is where I was going with my comment but couldn't figure out how I wanted to word it. The best watch I ever owned is my cell phone. Satelite time and changes very close to time zone with date. Very good time piece and they are with you more than most watches.

riverbound
10-02-2004, 10:13 PM
I know a guy who sells fakes and I could barely tell the difeerence until I put my real submairner next ot his best replica. The steel on the fakes are a little shinier because of the different grade of stainless. The real ones also weigh a little more. And it is true about the time, I lose about 3 minutes a month which is very good for a Rolex.

Tyson Ross
10-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Is Mbrown speaking English??? I like my watches, which is why I will just steal brown's Tag.. :idea: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: