PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs

Speedin' Ian
10-01-2004, 11:23 AM
So on this Commander that we just bought it has trim tabs that I can adjust from inside the boat, however they don't have any indicators so we really never know where they're at. My qusestion is what is their purpose? How should I adjust them? And will they make my boat any Faster? THey re not those trick billet ones I see on a lot of boats but, they are pretty big and they have two rams per tab. Is it a big job to put indicators on them?

racecar.hotshoe
10-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Its a learning thing...... :)

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-01-2004, 11:38 AM
how big is the boat

Speedin' Ian
10-01-2004, 11:41 AM
25'

Some Kind Of Monster
10-01-2004, 11:42 AM
I know you can buy indicators. I don't imagine it would be that big of a job. Are they electric? Hydraulic?

LHC30Victory
10-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Unless you put indicators on them, you will just have to practice :eek: :eek:
Try putting them all the way up and get on plane. If it planes well, leave them alone. Then check the upper speeds and use them to prevent/control chine walking. Tap them down sparingly until the walk stops.
If you need to plane quicker or at lower speeds, lower them till you get the desired result. Generally, set the outdrive to best angle then use the tabs to adjust attitude :220v: (no not hers!).
Offshoreonly.com has a lot of info on this topic.

Speedin' Ian
10-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Not sure if they are hydraulic or electric.
The boat gets on plane no problem with the tabs all the way up, because that is where I have kept them.
Thanks for the advice I will try some of these things this sunday at the lake

cc322
10-01-2004, 01:04 PM
If they are dual rams then they are probably bennetts, you will love them. I had them on my old boat and they are great. Some folks will say my boat dosent need them but until they have used them they dont know what thier missing. Check to see if thier is a hydrolic pump mounted somewere in your engine compartment, then you will know. They really come in handy when you have a full load of fuel and people (heavy load) to get on plane, and when the water gets nasty they cure the pounding good luck.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-01-2004, 01:26 PM
25'
which model

Havasu Hangin'
10-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Bennett makes electronic Trim indicators that are pretty easy to install (as long as you have room on your dash).
I put a set on my old boat in a couple hours.

DryHeatOnly
10-01-2004, 04:14 PM
You may also want to time them to the different positions. Do this on the trailer with a helper...
How many seconds from up to half, half to down, up/down, down/up.
This will help with learning the positioning and could help you avoid leaning on the switches for too long.
As others have said...practice with them. See how they affect your boat at speed. Try uneven loads as well, tabbing one side to level the boat out.
Another hint...they also help you make those tight turns when trying to beach it in the channel.

Speedin' Ian
10-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Here is our boat, not sure what model it is, but I do no Warlock made the same boat for a while
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1349new_boat.jpg

DryHeatOnly
10-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Nice :cool: