PDA

View Full Version : Schwarzenegger Signs Bill

Kwicherbichen
10-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Schwarzenegger Signs Teaksurfing Bill
Thursday, September 30, 2004
Log News Service - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill Sept. 17 that will attempt to stop the practice of “teak surfing,” “platform dragging,” or “bodysurfing” behind a motorized vessel.
Assembly Member Paul Koretz, D-West Hollywood, said his bill - Assembly Bill 2222 - will protect boaters and their passengers from a “hidden killer” - carbon monoxide in the boats’ exhaust.
His legislation, which takes effect Jan. 1, 2005, makes it an infraction punishable by a $100 fine to operate a motorized vessel while someone is teak surfing, platform dragging, or bodysurfing behind the vessel or running the engine at idle while an individual is occupying or holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, or swim ladder at the rear of the vessel.
The prohibition would not apply when an individual is assisting with the docking or departure of the vessel or while exiting or entering the vessel.
There have been three boating deaths involving Californians since 2000 that have been attributed to breathing carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can kill quickly.
Two of the victims were youths who were bodysurfing behind motorboats. The third was a 62-year-old man who was overcome while swimming near a boat in Lake Shasta.
“Each of these senseless, tragic deaths was preventable,” Koretz said. “Boaters must become aware that they should never be near the back of the boat when the engine is running, not even for a minute.”
KoretzÂ’ legislation will also require that after May 1, 2005, two warning stickers about the dangers of breathing carbon monoxide be placed on all new or used motorized vessels sold in California - a small sticker, placed where it is visible to the person operating the vessel, and a larger sticker on the exterior of the stern or transom of the vessel.
The law will require the Department of Motor Vehicles to insert a Department of Boating and Waterways informational brochure about the dangers of carbon-monoxide poisoning and boats and the two warning stickers into the registration-renewal materials it mails to vessel owners for two consecutive two-year registration cycles.
Another provision in the law will require all state-sponsored boating-safety courses and all boating-safety courses that require state approval by Boating and Waterways to incorporate information about the dangers of being overcome by carbon-monoxide poisoning at the stern of a motorized vessel and how to prevent that poisoning.
Teresa Stark, KoretzÂ’s chief of staff, said Koretz viewed the bill more as an educational tool than as a way to punish boaters for engaging in a dangerous activity.
“We don’t anticipate a lot of citations will be given out,” she said. “We want law enforcement to be able to stop people when they see people doing this and explain to them that it could kill them or their kids.”
A report from The Associated Press was used in this story.
Teriffic, does anyone really believe spending hundreds of thousands on these friggin lame stickers is really going to stop dummies, that should probably be thinned from the heard anyway, from teak surfing? :hammerhea
Note: Notice the article said 3 have died in the last 4 years. For christ sake, more people die slipping in the f'ing shower.

RiverToysJas
10-02-2004, 07:23 AM
We talked about that in this thread. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58330&highlight=teak+surfing) ;)
RTJas :D

Kachina26
10-02-2004, 08:13 AM
It's cool, I missed that thread. Thanx KB, more time wasted on legislating common sense. Next thing you know they will pass a law against sticking your junk in a blender!

Rexone
10-02-2004, 08:33 AM
You guys are gonna love the stickers too. They're sooo attractive. :rolleyes:
Sometimes (actually most the time) our government amazes me on the bs they spend time doing while real problems like illegal immigration and border security just run along unchecked. Talk about Sacramento having focked up priorities.... :hammerhea

RiverToysJas
10-02-2004, 08:41 AM
So the new bill requires stickers? :2purples: That's BS!!! I guess if the boat is not registered in Ca, you don't need those stickers. I hope....
RTJas :umm:

Rexone
10-02-2004, 08:43 AM
I think the stickers only apply to new boats after certain date in 05 (not positive on that).

Boatcop
10-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Here's the Coast Guard recommended decal: (PDF file-Adobe Acrobat reader required)
CO WARNING LABEL (http://www.uscgboating.org/co/files/CO_decal.pdf)

RiverToysJas
10-02-2004, 08:46 AM
I think the stickers only apply to new boats after certain date in 05 (not positive on that).
That's what I first thought, then I re-read the wording in the article. It's not clear.
RTJas :D

BigDogIvan
10-02-2004, 09:01 AM
There only needs to be one sign on a boat in front of the driver:
DON"T BE STUPID!!!!
You ARE responsable for the IDIOTS aboard your vessle!!!
Just My Lil O'l 2 bits worth.
BD

Dr. Eagle
10-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Next thing you know they will pass a law against sticking your junk in a blender!
That was in AB1958 two years ago... :rolleyes: ;)

Kwicherbichen
10-03-2004, 12:37 AM
It's cool, I missed that thread. Thanx KB, more time wasted on legislating common sense. Next thing you know they will pass a law against sticking your junk in a blender!
Are you saying we shouldn't do that either :confused: That's really gonna ruin my weekend now :frown:

mike37
10-03-2004, 06:36 AM
some of you guys amaze me crying about laws that protect kids and help to inform the uniformed
the fact is that a lot of people dint understand the dangers of boating
we all have stated on thees boards the the new boaters are not informed enough
on boat safety
so how do we make that happen
do we mandate boat safety classes if we do that then we will all need to do it
not just the newbie boaters
but most of you that have boater for years feal that you are above that
and it should only be for the new guy
well you were the new guy once and if you didn't get the training you are a danger to us all just like the new guy
and I know for a fact the there are board members that don't have a clue
on boating regulation and some of you have boated for years
and don't even know the right side to pass on
dam you guys 2 of the 4 were kids is it there fault the parents are uninformed

Kachina26
10-03-2004, 06:49 AM
Mike, no disrespect intended here. But, do you remember in drivers ed when they told you not to sit behind your car while it's running and have a picnic? No, because they didn't teach that. Most people treat cars with the respect that they are capable of killing you if misused. However, many of those same people treat boats and watercraft without that respect because they are considered toys. Obviously laws are needed to educate ALL of us, and I'm even ok with mandatory licensing. I was just using hyperbole to show the ridiculousness of some laws. Among the laws just signed by Arnold was one which outlawed Necrophelia. Who would have thought that you would need a law against this. Obviously we do. Like BoatCop said in the other thread, this type of behavior is covered by the broader unsafe operation law. A sticker with all the things you shouldn't do while boating would be pretty big. I'm sorry about the kids that were lost, you are right, the parents are to blame there.
Randy

mike37
10-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Mike, no disrespect intended here. But, do you remember in drivers ed when they told you not to sit behind your car while it's running and have a picnic? No, because they didn't teach that. Most people treat cars with the respect that they are capable of killing you if misused. However, many of those same people treat boats and watercraft without that respect because they are considered toys. Obviously laws are needed to educate ALL of us, and I'm even ok with mandatory licensing. I was just using hyperbole to show the ridiculousness of some laws. Among the laws just signed by Arnold was one which outlawed Necrophelia. Who would have thought that you would need a law against this. Obviously we do. Like BoatCop said in the other thread, this type of behavior is covered by the broader unsafe operation law. A sticker with all the things you shouldn't do while boating would be pretty big. I'm sorry about the kids that were lost, you are right, the parents are to blame there.
Randy
its cool
there are some that drive cars that think its OK not to have there kids in seetbelts
BigDogIvan naild it Id vot for this on cars and boats
There only needs to be one sign on a boat in front of the driver:
DON"T BE STUPID!!!!
You ARE responsable for the IDIOTS aboard your vessle!!!