PDA

View Full Version : Fool at the launching ramp Sunday....ME!

manuel
10-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Sunday after a day of fun on the river we head to the launching ramp, I back the van and trailer to the water and my friend sits in it to hold the brakes (because my parking brake is disconnected) while I guide the boat onto the trailer, then the van dies, she tries to start it but it won't, I climb out of the boat and try it but nothing happens, I had 1/4 tank when we got there so I knew that was not the problem but I popped the hood and looked at the clear fuel filter and it was EMPTY !, the angle we were parked at was too steep and the pick-up must of been out of the gas,
by this time there were 2 boats waiting for this fool to get out of the way, nobody had a gas can and I had left my tow strap in the other van, someone went to the gas dock to find a gas can but they had already closed, I got an emty 2 liter plastic Coke bottle we had in the boat and undid the fuel line and turned on the key and waited for it to fill up, I did have a small funnel in the van for putting in oil, after 2 bottles it started up and we pulled away, luckily it was race day at Talladega (26 miles away) so things were a little slow on the river because of it I think, the traffic is bad for hours after the race and we try to stay off the roads,
It was funny afterwards but I felt like an idiot while it was happening :redface: Manuel

lewiville
10-04-2004, 03:45 PM
the best part about it is that you handled the situation rather than sittin around and doin nothin.
good job gettin out of there, especialy on a sunday........OOOHHH BBOOYY do people get pissed

Keithb87
10-04-2004, 04:19 PM
At least you did not let the van roll into the water and sink.. :notam:

Moneypitt
10-04-2004, 04:43 PM
And the e brake is disconected because______________?

jbtrailerjim
10-04-2004, 04:44 PM
At least you did not let the van roll into the water and sink.. :notam:
Thats exactly where I thought the story was going, when I started reading it. :D

KrazyKa
10-04-2004, 04:45 PM
While at a launch ramp a gentleman "more seasoned than I" once told me, "Sometimes you watch the show. Sometimes you are the show."

dicudmore
10-04-2004, 04:47 PM
bummer dude....
Glad you got it taken care of

LVJAKAZ
10-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Good for you!!! You didnt just sit around like a Jack A$$. I ALWAYS have trouble backing down the trailer...But im learning :o

Boatcop
10-04-2004, 04:59 PM
I back the van and trailer to the water.......
Van??? :confused:
What is this? The Seventies?
I didn't think anyone drove vans anymore. :) :D :p

manuel
10-04-2004, 05:07 PM
And the e brake is disconected because______________?
When I bought it that's how they were, when I went to re-connect them I could not get enough slack, the rear end was swapped out to a 3.73 Posi-trac so I need to measure the cables and compare and see what I need because I don't trust just being in "park" that's why I get someone to hold the brakes, I've seen 2 rigs roll-in, VERY ugly sight, Manuel

manuel
10-04-2004, 05:21 PM
It's gets worse than that, it's a MINI-VAN :D the mommy-mobile from hell, 355" V8, 268 Comp cam, KB flat tops, pink rods, B&M TH350 trans, 3.73 posi, And I live in Alabama, so that might explain it too :smile: Manuel
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/950DCP01746-med.JPG

LVJAKAZ
10-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Manuel, you are tooo funny!!! Have Fun ;)

UnionJack
10-04-2004, 05:48 PM
I thought it was going to be better also

mickeyfinn
10-04-2004, 05:51 PM
It's gets worse than that, it's a MINI-VAN :D the mommy-mobile from hell, 355" V8, 268 Comp cam, KB flat tops, pink rods, B&M TH350 trans, 3.73 posi, And I live in Alabama, so that might explain it too :smile: Manuel
Where ya boating at You on lake martin?

manuel
10-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Where ya boating at You on lake martin?
Usually Lake Henry Neely on the Coosa River, and also lake Guntersville on the Tennessee River, one of these days I want to head to the gulf and Mobile bay, after they get it all back to normal after the hurricane damage, Manuel

TRIMM MANN
10-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Been there done that :p Fuel pump let go on a big weekend backing the boat into the water on site six
Talk about feeling like s**t. I had to wait an hour for a tow truck to pull my Suburban and boat out together :sqeyes:

Some Kind Of Monster
10-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Thats exactly where I thought the story was going, when I started reading it. :D
Same here. I was waiting for pictures!

Huckleberry
10-05-2004, 04:45 AM
While at a launch ramp a gentleman "more seasoned than I" once told me, "Sometimes you watch the show. Sometimes you are the show."
Truer words were never spoken!

Sherpa
10-05-2004, 05:34 AM
how'd a SBC get into an Astrovan-? I wouldn't think i'd fit.......
we ave a 97 astro-kiddie hauler.
--sherpa

RP1
10-05-2004, 06:03 AM
turned out better than I thought it was going to :jawdrop:

manuel
10-05-2004, 06:19 AM
how'd a SBC get into an Astrovan-? I wouldn't think i'd fit.......
we ave a 97 astro-kiddie hauler.
--sherpa
Actually it bolts right in, same width as the 4.3 just longer, a few companies make the kits or do it for you, http://www.racecraftconversions.com/
it really makes it a lot of fun and great for towing with the short distance from the hitch to the axle :smile:
--------------
Trimm Mann, my FIRST thought was the fuel pump since I knew I had fuel, that must of been a LONG day for you :frown:
Manuel

BigDogIvan
10-05-2004, 06:51 AM
I personaly would never call my Astro a "Mini" van. Its more of a "Mid" van. Mini's are front wheel drive and I would like to see them with a small block. :wink:
Nice looking set up. And for those with the V-8 questions. I have read guys doing the v6 to v8 swap in these over a weekend. Killer setup and more than enough room to do so. Talk about more power. HEHEHEHEHE
BD

Ion
10-05-2004, 11:37 AM
It's not the 70's but my van is from the disco-era! My '75 3/4 ton GMC (with the always-reliable 350) serves my needs perfectly well. Great for tote'n my paint supplies, compressor, etc, as well as towing my boat. They sure don't make 'em like they used to!