PDA

View Full Version : River homes questions. HELP A BRUTHA OUT.....

clownpuncher
10-05-2004, 06:01 PM
We're gonna buy a place soon at the river. Parker is our first choice but considering all options (Big River, Water Wheel etc) The question I'm throwing out to y'all with river homes is........
Where do you have the home and why did you pick the place?
Last trip to the river we traveled both sides of Parker by truck, in search of a home. Not necessarily a "house", but, a home.
There are way too many choices out there to jump on anything too fast. I have three places in particular that I'm strongly considering (one is from a board member).
We're not too particular about size, we just want a flop-house of sorts. It can be anything from a pimped single wide to a full on house with a dock. "Course I don't have 3 mil for one of those newer ones being built.
We're even considering buying a 30+ fifth wheel and hanging out at a few different places until we find a home.
Any help/suggestions/experience is greatly appreciated.
Yes, there will be a blow-out house warming party when we get one :D . Ain't no party like a fireman's that own's a bar/restaurant.
As always, thanks in advance.

djunkie
10-05-2004, 06:41 PM
I was in the same boat as you. Wanted a place in Parker but ended up with a house in Havasu. If you want to be close to the water be prepared to pay some money. Stay away from the indian owned property, the leases there are rediculous. I looked at the mobile home parks on the BLM land and they aren't too bad but you don't own anything but the trailer. Plus I hear they've been raising the leases there also. As for deeded property on or close to the water those can get really outragious.

boatnam2
10-05-2004, 06:58 PM
if you dont care if you own the land i thought shadows place was really pimp.

riverbound
10-05-2004, 07:04 PM
We picked our place in parker for many reasons.
1 we can be right on the water
2 two lots down from the launch ramp
3 unbeatable view
4 deeded land
5 triple wide trailer (bringing a little bit of beaumont to Parker :D )
6 We were able to build a huge dock with slips (holds 4boats)
7 we were in the right place at the right time on this property (it has
increased its value 6times the original purchase price)
I can keep an eye on my boat at all times
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681IMG014-med.JPG
Down river view
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/681riverpics_022-med.jpg
up river view
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/681riverpics_025-med.jpg
sunsets
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/681riverpics_031-med.jpg
Shes a beaut clark (straight outta beaumont)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/681riverpics_037-med.jpg
view straight out front of house
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/681riverpics_042-med.jpg
The only downside of this place is having to share it with family members that are a$$holes. And dealing with all the BS that goes along with it.

Boatcop
10-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Good advice by djunkie. Stay away from Indian Owned. That pretty much means anything on the California Side of the River, below Riverland Resort, and anything on the AZ side south of the Lakeside Traffic light.
As far as the BLM land, the parks there are leased from the BLM by private Companies (called concessions) They set the rent payments on the space, you own the Trailer/Manufactured home/Park Model/Hut/Igloo, whatever.
As prices sky rocket on deeded properties on the strip, those rent payments have been going up as well. Not to mention the prices of the trailers etc. themselves. Those who were wise enough to enter a into a long term lease with the concessions are the lucky ones, as their rent payments will stay where they are for the length of the lease.
It's a sellers market right now, and anyone buying into deeded or leased property right now should plan on taking it in the shorts, as far as cost is concerned.
But I'll repeat - DON'T GET INVOLVED WITH INDIAN LAND OR LEASES! You have no rights whatsoever with them, and no recourse in any court in the land if they screw you out of your lease. And believe me. If they want that property, the written, signed lease isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

riverbound
10-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Oh yah I forgot to mention DEEDED LAND !!!!!!!!!!

mbrown2
10-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Bought there cause our buddy was selling to build next store, he knocked 5K off asking price for us, and we jumped on it...a year later...next store went up for sale and it was 25K more then ours, my brother jumped on it...we thought it was a lot...but now the neighbors behind us sold for 319 for much less of a house...
Now our neighbor with a view, but not on the river wants to sell his for 525 and he will probably get it...a little nicer house with view, but two homes off the water....its like Boatcop said...deeded land in Parker is just going through the roof....We bought land in Havasu about 1.5 years ago and it has more than doubled almost trippled in a year...Parker is starting to climb, but it did not climb as fast the first two years we had it....There are still some places that come available up river..the place across the street from us is possibly going to go for 375ish
But most important; I first went to the upper part of the river in the late 70's with my late dad...I was like 7...we stayed at Winner Circle...well I always wanted a place up there, and we were able to make it happen..the view from the docks is not bad as well..no trailers or parks on the other side..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/17Docks-med.JPG

LHC Kirby
10-05-2004, 07:41 PM
I bought a lot in LHC and built a house - I am 8 minutes from Windsor - I love it here - more to do than the river and I personally like the Lake better than the river - I only boat M-F and have never waited in line to launch! But to each his own..... I would suggest looking in LHC as a possible place to buy - to keep all options open..
Good Luck
Warlock25 on the boards -his wife does all board members good in the real estate field- FYI

BadBahner
10-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Our Place is in Needles in a privately owned waterfront Mobilehome Park. All units in the park are new and must be from one manufacturer. It is a singlewide with second story. I am several spots back from the water so I cannot see my boat when it is moored.
I like needles cuz I am 20 mins south of Laughlin and there are no big boats on that section usually and 20 mins north of Topock. If I get really board I can head down to sandbar or the channel.
Needles has a low occurrance of accidents and deaths, it is just not that crowded there.
Private Launch and Beach
190 space rent
35k starting for the Unit
Eric

Krazy K
10-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Our old place is on the CA side north of that hump you see in the first pic of "riverbound"s set. Last ime they (indians) raised the lease on the land, (early 90's)they raised it to about $9000/year. As we weren't going out as much as we used to, we sold our 1/3rd to another party. It's the place with the real tall palm trees next to the white boathouse. I can only imagine what the lease must be now. Now, when my sis and BIL go out, they have a trailer and typically stay at Riverland.

XtrmWakeborder
10-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Nice set-ups guys! Hopefully someday i'll be nextdoor. :D

plaster dave
10-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Bought there cause our buddy was selling to build next store, he knocked 5K off asking price for us, and we jumped on it...a year later...next store went up for sale and it was 25K more then ours, my brother jumped on it...we thought it was a lot...but now the neighbors behind us sold for 319 for much less of a house...
Now our neighbor with a view, but not on the river wants to sell his for 525 and he will probably get it...a little nicer house with view, but two homes off the water....its like Boatcop said...deeded land in Parker is just going through the roof....We bought land in Havasu about 1.5 years ago and it has more than doubled almost trippled in a year...Parker is starting to climb, but it did not climb as fast the first two years we had it....There are still some places that come available up river..the place across the street from us is possibly going to go for 375ish
But most important; I first went to the upper part of the river in the late 70's with my late dad...I was like 7...we stayed at Winner Circle...well I always wanted a place up there, and we were able to make it happen..the view from the docks is not bad as well..no trailers or parks on the other side..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/17Docks-med.JPG
mbrown I just stayed @ that place last weekend, my buddies parents The "Mormans" they have the oldest house on that street. It is a nice spot on the river. But you guys need to kill those bugs. :D

RiverForUs
10-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Our Place is in Needles in a privately owned waterfront Mobilehome Park. All units in the park are new and must be from one manufacturer. It is a singlewide with second story. I am several spots back from the water so I cannot see my boat when it is moored.
I like needles cuz I am 20 mins south of Laughlin and there are no big boats on that section usually and 20 mins north of Topock. If I get really board I can head down to sandbar or the channel.
Needles has a low occurrance of accidents and deaths, it is just not that crowded there.
Private Launch and Beach
190 space rent
35k starting for the Unit
Eric
Eric,
What park is this?

shueman
10-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Nielsens....???

Tequila-John
10-06-2004, 05:32 AM
We looked in Havasu and Parker for about 1 year. I finally steped up and bought a killer 2 bedroom 2.5 bath condo in Parker. I have a very nice view of the river and plenty of room. I paid 95k for mine last Sept. Model match just closed escrow Sept30 2004 for 175k. I am happy.Though Havasu is nice, it's getting over crowded. PARKER DREAMS!!!!!!!!

boatnam2
10-06-2004, 05:53 AM
hey tequilla john,hows it going i heard from pd im your neighbor.i live in the second trailer on the left with the white latice front across the street from you, little dog, noisy quads.we will have to hook up some time.have not been going to much since we sold our boat at the begining of summer but our new boat will be done this friday so hopefully we will be going alot more now.will be there maybe this weekend and the weekend of the 24 for 4 days.

BadBahner
10-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Nielsens....???
Yes Nielsens. Do you know about?

Tequila-John
10-06-2004, 06:05 AM
HEY buddy,
Yes we are neighbors. I have unit 2. We can see eachother perfectly. We were out 2 weekends ago. My goal is to be out there Oct 15-17th for my B-day. Running it WIDE OPEN. We need to exchange info so we make sure we can hookup... I will be afraid to walk over to your place. I have seen that old guy across from you lay the smack down on people that go through there. I will carry my white peace flag :)

TCHB
10-06-2004, 06:13 AM
If you want an investment buy the land in Parker, Havasu or other areas. Do not make the mistake of renting the land from the Indians or BlM. As the price of land continues to go up the mobile homes on rented land will not keep pace with the real estate market. We had a place on the Parker Strip for 15 years and now in Havasu.

boatnam2
10-06-2004, 06:48 AM
yea all of my neighbors are old and can be a little grumpy.i guess the problem started when they first sold the condos the realtor told potential buyers that our beach and ramp was part of the condos to use when they wanted.that is why there is a private property sign every 20ft.its a sticky issue with insurance and all if we have people using the area that arent homeowners and something happens it cant cost all of the home owners big dough.im a pretty layed back guy and dont really give a shiit but i go with what the majority is and that to keep our area private.but now if you were my river buddy i guess that would exclude you from being a tresspasser.

Parker Dreamin
10-06-2004, 06:58 AM
yea all of my neighbors are old and can be a little grumpy.i guess the problem started when they first sold the condos the realtor told potential buyers that our beach and ramp was part of the condos to use when they wanted.that is why there is a private property sign every 20ft.its a sticky issue with insurance and all if we have people using the area that arent homeowners and something happens it cant cost all of the home owners big dough.im a pretty layed back guy and dont really give a shiit but i go with what the majority is and that to keep our area private.but now if you were my river buddy i guess that would exclude you from being a tresspasser.
We are all River Buddies.... Sandpiper Dreams can not be beat for the price. I bought a month ago for a good price and watched that unit close a month later for $175K.... not bad and the view are bitchen if you are lucky enough to score a pad on Riverside Dr. Boatnam2 and Tequila John we will have to get together for sure.. sounds like we were in the same boat as far as not having a boat for the summer.. our Cobra should be done before Thanksgiving.. I bet you are stoked and can not wait until Friday....

boatnam2
10-06-2004, 08:17 AM
im telling you im starting to get pretty excited, but not to excited this is not my first new boat so i know sometimes it takes a few extra days.even next week is cool with me.we will be there all week thanksgiving week wed night until tuesday.you guys got your dirt vehicle's yet to make the desert bar run ,thanksgiving weekend it goes off.we ride from the pad its a blast.

Parker Dreamin
10-06-2004, 01:00 PM
im telling you im starting to get pretty excited, but not to excited this is not my first new boat so i know sometimes it takes a few extra days.even next week is cool with me.we will be there all week thanksgiving week wed night until tuesday.you guys got your dirt vehicle's yet to make the desert bar run ,thanksgiving weekend it goes off.we ride from the pad its a blast.
We should be getting the boat right before Thanksgiving and plan on going up that Friday (have to spend time with the local family for Tday) Tequila John will be up there too. I have my desert toy, Honda CRF450 but John is working on getting some quads running. We took over a boat storage unit at BMB and our buddy left 2-Susk 250 and 1-350 Yam Bansh. John says he will get them runnen...What kind of des. toys do you run ?

Hiddenvalley-Kid
10-06-2004, 04:23 PM
I live at Hidden Valley, 3 miles north of Water Wheel. Been there done that with looking from BH, HC, Blythe etc. Indian land can be a bummer but can also be good deal if you don't want to spend $1,000,000. Remember that BLM land can not be permanent residence. Can live there no more than 6 mo. at a time. Big River is on a 35 year lease with about 23 left. Same with Hidden Valley. Lease is through BIA not the tribe. Water Wheel's lease expires in 3 years and the tribe will take over. Aha Quin is run by the tribe. Lost Lake has a longer lease but you rent the space per month. Rent goes up 10% per year. 6th Ave. and 10th Ave in Blythe are selling houses on the water on deeded land $400,000 to $600,000. Walter's Camp, south of Palo Verde has some deeded lots that are nice but just a long way out. Take your time. It took 10 years before we found what we wanted.

mbrown2
10-06-2004, 04:26 PM
mbrown I just stayed @ that place last weekend, my buddies parents The "Mormans" they have the oldest house on that street. It is a nice spot on the river. But you guys need to kill those bugs. :D
Small world, I am pretty sure I know who you are...we were down as well, but on the lake on Sat, and hanging out on the docks on Sunday..

shueman
10-06-2004, 05:39 PM
I live at Hidden Valley, 3 miles north of Water Wheel. Been there done that with looking from BH, HC, Blythe etc. Indian land can be a bummer but can also be good deal if you don't want to spend $1,000,000. Remember that BLM land can not be permanent residence. Can live there no more than 6 mo. at a time. Big River is on a 35 year lease with about 23 left. Same with Hidden Valley. Lease is through BIA not the tribe. Water Wheel's lease expires in 3 years and the tribe will take over. Aha Quin is run by the tribe. Lost Lake has a longer lease but you rent the space per month. Rent goes up 10% per year. 6th Ave. and 10th Ave in Blythe are selling houses on the water on deeded land $400,000 to $600,000. Walter's Camp, south of Palo Verde has some deeded lots that are nice but just a long way out. Take your time. It took 10 years before we found what we wanted.
Good info....thanks. I'm following the same path as you. Want to pull the trigger over the next 6-12 months. Big River to Blythe location....

Performance 19
10-06-2004, 06:14 PM
We are in Mohave Valley, AZ side of the river north of Needles. As Bad Bahner said, this part of the river is quieter than Parker/Havasu. The lots on both sides of the river in this area are about gone now. Except up north a little on the Calif. side. Lots of lots available a few blocks away from the river and only $35,000. or so. Mohave Valley is growing rapidly. Oh, and new houses on the river can only have a lunch or dock, but you can generally get around that. Jim ....also, there are a few mobile home parks, Fender, Rainbow that always have mobiles for sale and Willow valley...you own the lot, mobiles and homes.

boatnam2
10-06-2004, 06:23 PM
we have quads i have a kawi 400 and missb has a little honda 250.when we go out to the bar we just cruise.we had a sand rail but sold it when we bought the place.