PDA

View Full Version : Are There Any Race Boat Schools In So.california

BADASS38CHEVY
10-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Im looking for a race boat school in so cal.does any one of one?I figure before i get my new boat i would like to learn drive a 100 mph powerboat before i learn the hard way.

DEEZ NUTTS
10-06-2004, 09:16 PM
I too am interested in this. I would like to be shown how to get through rough stuff at speed the right way. 31' with twins and big tabs getting repowered this winter for the 80s. The little tricks and knowledge from the pros could be huge.

BADASS38CHEVY
10-06-2004, 09:19 PM
thats what i would need is the small tricks that can be costly if you dont know .i have never owned at high performance deckboat and it is alittle differant ride in a cat style boat.

BADBLOWN572
10-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Usually the best thing to do is to find someone who is very familiar with a boat that is similar to the one you are going to be driving and go for a ride with them. Ask any question you want and have them show you how. Just make sure they have tons of hours on the same type of boat in ALL conditions. Usually works out best that way.
I am sure with the amount of members here on ***boat, there would be plenty of really good drivers willing to help.

XtrmWakeborder
10-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Usually the best thing to do is to find someone who is very familiar with a boat that is similar to the one you are going to be driving and go for a ride with them. Ask any question you want and have them show you how. Just make sure they have tons of hours on the same type of boat in ALL conditions. Usually works out best that way.
I am sure with the amount of members here on ***boat, there would be plenty of really good drivers willing to help.
Hmm i'm thinking about buying a 257...would anyone know where i could drive one??? hehe i knew there had to be a loophole

DEEZ NUTTS
10-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Not to sound like I cant handle my boat, but I'm shure I could learn something.

BADASS38CHEVY
10-06-2004, 09:37 PM
the lavey deck just can out and dont think that there are to many out ther yet.

CrazyHippy
10-06-2004, 10:18 PM
The "find some one w/ something similar" advice is what i did, and it worked fairly well. I learned what not to do, and what to expect when. It helped alot. I was comfortable enough to run 106 the 2nd time out, and had more throttle, but wasn't sure trim wise. Now i've got the feel for flying the boat, and 106 is childs play :boxed:
BJH

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Im looking for a race boat school in so cal.does any one of one?I figure before i get my new boat i would like to learn drive a 100 mph powerboat before i learn the hard way.
kilr will need this school also

shueman
10-07-2004, 04:53 AM
I would think the MFG or Dealer "might" have some input...

BADBLOWN572
10-07-2004, 05:47 AM
Hmm i'm thinking about buying a 257...would anyone know where i could drive one??? hehe i knew there had to be a loophole
Once you get your 257, I will take you out and show you how to drive YOUR boat. :cool:
I learned very young about high performance driving in all types of boats. I was lucky. I probably had a thousand hours of driving in various boats before I got mine. Even after years of boating, I took it slow for the first 2 trips out. I honestly would go through 80 gallons of fuel each time so I had some time in the boat. Started out at 50mph and worked my way up in increments of approximately 5 mph.
Once I got to the point that I was comfortable, in my boat, to about 100, I had Greg Shoemaker of GS Marine take me out on a couple of speed runs and show me what to do. Then I would try right after. Believe it or not, I learned quite a bit. Definitely a good experience.
Anyone can show you what you need to know, but even education is no substitute for seat time. Before you go running anything hard, you need to seriously have some hours on the boat BY YOURSELF or with one other experienced driver. Every cat is different and if you think that you can get in the boat your first time and throw the sticks all the way forward, let me know where you are so I can avoid you. :rolleyes:
My advise would be to find someone with a boat that is similar and have them show you the baics. Cats drive a lot different from a V and you need to know certain "tips" that will help you out. After you know the tips, drive your boat alone and get used to it. Once you are comfortable in your boat, the speed will come.

boatnam2
10-07-2004, 05:56 AM
i pick mine up this week from lavey your welcome to get a little training if your ever in parker. i will be learing how to drive it and will probaly be using it a couple of times at elsinore to dial it in until the 24th when i take it to parker.i had a 26 american offshore that ran 100 or so for 5 years so i think i will have it dialed in pretty quick and can give you a little input.

racecar.hotshoe
10-07-2004, 06:06 AM
kilr will need this school also
Hey SYA What About Kilr,s Unlimited Hydro School!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1917boat_funny2_copy.jpg

BADASS38CHEVY
10-07-2004, 10:57 PM
thanks for all of the info. i will put it to use.i will contact you boatnam.

XtrmWakeborder
10-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Once you get your 257, I will take you out and show you how to drive YOUR boat. :cool:
I learned very young about high performance driving in all types of boats. I was lucky. I probably had a thousand hours of driving in various boats before I got mine. Even after years of boating, I took it slow for the first 2 trips out. I honestly would go through 80 gallons of fuel each time so I had some time in the boat. Started out at 50mph and worked my way up in increments of approximately 5 mph.
Once I got to the point that I was comfortable, in my boat, to about 100, I had Greg Shoemaker of GS Marine take me out on a couple of speed runs and show me what to do. Then I would try right after. Believe it or not, I learned quite a bit. Definitely a good experience.
Anyone can show you what you need to know, but even education is no substitute for seat time. Before you go running anything hard, you need to seriously have some hours on the boat BY YOURSELF or with one other experienced driver. Every cat is different and if you think that you can get in the boat your first time and throw the sticks all the way forward, let me know where you are so I can avoid you. :rolleyes:
My advise would be to find someone with a boat that is similar and have them show you the baics. Cats drive a lot different from a V and you need to know certain "tips" that will help you out. After you know the tips, drive your boat alone and get used to it. Once you are comfortable in your boat, the speed will come.
Haha damn it didn't work!