PDA

View Full Version : registering your boat in arizona

plaster dave
10-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know the web site, or phone number for registering your boat in Arizona?

Jordy
10-07-2004, 08:41 AM
http://www.gf.state.az.us/outdoor_recreation/boating.shtml

plaster dave
10-07-2004, 08:43 AM
thank you

hava life
10-07-2004, 08:45 AM
http://www.gf.state.az.us/
This should help.

hava life
10-07-2004, 08:46 AM
It did work :cool: This is the sight that we use. I just wanted to check and make sure it worked :D

PHX ATC
10-07-2004, 08:58 AM
It works. I did mine online (too lazy to go buy stamps, so figured I'd spend the extra $3 to do it online) and I printed out a quickie 10 day proof and my real registration showed up in the mail within 5 days.
Not too shabby.

Ultracrazy
10-07-2004, 09:04 AM
What's the process for registering a boat in AZ that is currently registered in CA?? I have a house is AZ and CA

phebus
10-07-2004, 09:44 AM
You can call the Arizona Dept. of Game and Fish. The person you want to talk to at the Phoenix office is Libby 602-942-3000 her extension is 3406 she will take care of you.
Just be carefull, if you are from Calif. and have had to deal with the DMV, you might just go into shock at how nice Libby can be to deal with, and how easy she makes the whole thing.

phebus
10-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Also, if you aren't a resident of Ariz., you will have to register your boat as a non-resident. It will cost you more than Calif., but you don't pay the supplemental property tax bill (if your boat is kept out of state), so the net cost per year is much less. The only requirement to registering in Ariz., is that you use your boat in Ariz. waters 51% or more of the time.

Steamin' Rice
10-07-2004, 10:03 AM
What's the process for registering a boat in AZ that is currently registered in CA?? I have a house is AZ and CA
If you are storing the boat out of CA and don't want to get hit for the property tax bill, make sure that you get your AZ registration finalized before the end of the year... You will need that to show to the CA tax assessor along with proof that the boat is out of state otherwise you might need to pay the tax..

jas0502
10-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Ok....my boat is registered in cali right now. We store it in BHC and use it at Lake Mohave 100%.We live in Cali. Do I physically need to go to Az to initialy reg it? Do I pay prop tax in Az? I assume that the trailer should stay reg in Cali. Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith E. Sayre
10-07-2004, 10:45 AM
You will be required to take your boat to Kingman for an inspection of the
Hull ID number. When entering Kingman on the highway, turn left on
Stockton Hill Rd. You'll go about 5 or 6 miles and right about the time
that you'll think you must have passed it, the office is on the left side.
You'll need to have your California paperwork with you. They'll walk
out to your boat and then compare your boat ID numbers to your California
paperwork numbers. Hope that they match. You will pay a transfer
fee and there won't ever be a property or luxury tax payment in Arizona.
Remember, the boat and the trailer have nothing in common from a legal
standpoint. One can be registered here in Arizona and the other in Calif.
Good luck!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City

Ultracrazy
10-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Thnaks everyone........great info :boxed:

Jdbuck
10-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Question: If I live in Calif and have a house in Havasu and my boat and trailer are used exclusively in Az., why would do I need to register my trailer in Calif, but my boat can be registered in Az? That defies common sense and logic! :rollside:

phebus
10-07-2004, 10:58 AM
You will be required to take your boat to Kingman for an inspection of the Hull ID number.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
Not necessarily, I have registered two different boats that had Calif. registration in Az. and have never had to go to Kingman. Call Libby and explain what you want to do. With the boat I have now, she had me read the registration numbers to her on the phone, and she said that I was fine. The numbering system just somehow had to match a certain criteria.

jbtrailerjim
10-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Question: If I live in Calif and have a house in Havasu and my boat and trailer are used exclusively in Az., why would do I need to register my trailer in Calif, but my boat can be registered in Az? That defies common sense and logic! :rollside:
If you are pulling your boat with a California plated vehicle in Cali, CHP will pull you over and ticket you. If your a California resident, you must have your trailer registered in California. Not sure why they require it but they do. No big deal though. It's cheap since they switched to permanent plates here.

Boatcop
10-07-2004, 11:14 AM
It's the way the law is written. Federal Regulations, which all states must abide by, say that the boat must be registered in the State of principle use.
California law says that all vehicles owned by a California Resident must be registered in California, unless the vehicle is NEVER brought into California.
Trailers are considered vehicles, but boats are not.
If you know you will never bring the trailer into California, even just passing through, for service, repairs, detailing, whatever, then you can register it in Arizona.
But you don't want to be caught towing an Arizona trailer, that you own, in California. $1,000 + ticket, and possible impound of the trailer.

PHX ATC
10-07-2004, 11:22 AM
It's the way the law is written. Federal Regulations, which all states must abide by, say that the boat must be registered in the State of principle use.
California law says that all vehicles owned by a California Resident must be registered in California, unless the vehicle is NEVER brought into California.
If you know you will never bring the trailer into California, even just passing through, for service, repairs, detailing, whatever, then you can register it in Arizona.
But you don't want to be caught towing an Arizona trailer, that you own, in California. $1,000 + ticket, and possible impound of the trailer.
Huh? I live in AZ full time, truck, boat, boat trailer all registered in AZ.
I'm pulling my boat trailer along with boat through CA next week and weekend. Legal? I would assume so since I don't live in Cali.
Geez, I guess putting the boat in the drink of el Pacifico might be outta the question.

phebus
10-07-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm pulling my boat trailer along with boat through CA next week and weekend. Legal? I would assume so since I don't live in Cali.
Geez, I guess putting the boat in the drink of el Pacifico might be outta the question.
Your fine, as long as your not a Calif. resident (with Ca plates on your car) towing a Az. registered trailer in Ca. Az. resident with Az. car towing an Az. boat in Ca.......No problemo

PHX ATC
10-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Your fine, as long as your not a Calif. resident (with Ca plates on your car) towing a Az. registered trailer in Ca. Az. resident with Az. car towing an Az. boat in Ca.......No problemo
Cool.
Thanks. :messedup:

rvrtoy
10-07-2004, 11:30 AM
If you have a drivers license in AZ and your vehicle and trailer are AZ registered you can drive your vehicle through CA without any problems. If you hace a CA drivers license and a CA registered vehicle with a AZ registered trailer iswhen you could be cited, fines and/or impounded.

jas0502
10-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Called Libby, she was very helpful. I can complete the whole transaction by mail. No problem. Thank you !!

plaster dave
10-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Ya thank you hot boaters, Libby is great its all done thanks again.

cola
10-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Called Libby, she was very helpful. I can complete the whole transaction by mail. No problem. Thank you !!
Libby is a doll. She will do anything she can to complete your reg. "fast"
She took extra good care of us on our new boat, and remembered me from the last boat. Ask for Libby :D

Krumbsnatcher
10-07-2004, 01:30 PM
I concurr Alan.
A few years back i blew my motor in Havasu and was towing it back on the I-10 and and I was pulled over for the exact reason. Well this guy did not like my over sized truck or the fact i had money.
I explained my situation and was not aware of the law (my ignorance). Well to make the story short, he demanded that I unhooked the trailer and they impounded the trailer not the boat so he said.
Anyway I had to reregister the trailer in CA the next day, and drive out to Indio impound and it cost me $1000. Luckily they did not ticket me, they just took the boat.
arrrrgggh..

voodoomedman
10-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Simple solution.
Next time you buy a new boat. Buy an Ultra. They know somebody at az fish and game and get your new boat registered in AZ for you and trailer registered in Cali. No property tax, No hassle, No Cali DMV, No problem.