PDA

View Full Version : The Real Reason We're at War

MagicMtnDan
10-07-2004, 12:57 PM
The real reason for this war—which was never stated—was to burst what I would call the "terrorism bubble," which had built up during the 1990s.
This bubble was a dangerous fantasy, believed by way too many people in the Middle East. This bubble said that it was OK to plow airplanes into the World Trade Center, commit suicide in Israeli pizza parlors, praise people who do these things as "martyrs," and donate money to them through religious charities. This bubble had to be burst, and the only way to do it was to go right into the heart of the Arab world and smash something—to let everyone know that we, too, are ready to fight and die to preserve our open society. Yes, I know, it's not very diplomatic—it's not in the rule book—but everyone in the neighborhood got the message: Henceforth, you will be held accountable. Why Iraq, not Saudi Arabia or Pakistan? Because we could—period. Sorry to be so blunt, but, as I also wrote before the war: Some things are true even if George Bush believes them.
Unless we successfully partner with Iraqis, though, to build a new and more decent context, that terrorism bubble will eventually come back tenfold. We must get this right. Yes, I know, it may all turn out to be a fool's errand. A decent Iraq may be impossible. But I would rather go down swinging as an optimist than resign as a pessimist. Because if there is no way to produce governments that can deliver for their young people in the Arab world, get ready for a future full of Code Orange and Code Red.
source: http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60055

Schiada76
10-07-2004, 01:19 PM
One thing I haven't seen any of the talking heads "pundits" etc. discuss is the absolute brilliance of us being in Iraq.
The strategic location of this country in the war on terror cannot be denied. Located next to Iran, a terrorist government, that is on the verge of civil war (guarrented to go to civil war if democracy is established in Iraq). Governed by a murdering despot it lent itself as the perfect location to set up a friendly government, a base if you will, to bring that backwards area of the world kicking and screaming into the 21st century. This is not to discount the fact that terrorist mercenaries have been pouring into the country to try and destabilize it only to killed by the thousands.
Perhaps a miltary strategist here could weigh in on the importance of not only taking the fight to the enemy, but actually picking the site of that fight and drawing the enemy to you. Which is exactly what we have done.
kahanakook. F off this is not an invite for response from a sh it head like you.

Steve 1
10-07-2004, 01:31 PM
The other "Missed point" By the Media is the GOOD being done there. These terrorist bombings are one part of a very large Picture that is kept Veiled by the mainstream press.
I would like a MUCH more balanced portrayal of current events. Also another point is Saddam was going to restart his WMD programs the minute the sanctions were lifted and they were being weakened daily by the French, Germans, Russians and Chinese..

Jeanyus
10-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Not to mention Syria, they would love to see the demise of the USA. If you are going to fight a war on terror, doesn't it make sense to pick out the biggest problem, (Sadam) and take him out. He had the 3rd biggest army in the world, and made it clear what he thought of the US. Bin Laden was the biggest threat to America, now he is hiding in a cave, afraid to make even a phone call.
I don't have to worry about Kakamouth, I'm on his ignore list, becase I made fun of his pajamas.

MagicMtnDan
10-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Gee, I wonder why the mainstream press won't talk about a number of topics including:
* How the French, Chinese, Russians and others were on the take raking in millions of dollars paid by Saddam to provide arms and allow his regime to continue selling oil even though he wasn't supposed to do it.
* The UN scandal - how UN officials received millions of dollars from Saddam so that he could violate the 'oil for food' requirements that the UN had set up.
* The many positives that are happening in Irag and Afghanistan. People are free. They're working, going to school, women have rights and are participating in society, the economies are doing better now than before, they have the infrastructure they need (supplies, water, electricity, waste management, etc.), etc.
It's a terrible shame that our newspapers and TV networks/channels are so biased against Bush and working so hard helping Kerry. They're missing some great NEWS!