PDA

View Full Version : toolers pay in havasu/ so cal area

jlnorthrup122
10-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Well folks I am here asking anyone for input on how steady the work of a tooler (boatbulder/labor) in the area is. Also how good is the pay? for those of you who know me from these forums know about my endever in building my 27' aluminum cat. well I got started on it and that is it @ this point I don't think it will ever be finnished because I am surounded by freeloaders always taking never returning the favor$$$ also the economy here is shit especialy in my field (metal fabricator)! So I think I would like to take my skill and inovations to the hot boating guantlet and enjoy the rest of my life building boats for someone elses company! SOS any feedback on this is vital to me. thanks!

Bob Hostetter
10-07-2004, 06:23 PM
In So cal the boat manufacturing business is pretty steady, depending on what company you are working for and what you want to do.
Lay up people and riggers tend to see a slow down this time of the year, service men see less of a drop off. As you might expect, it depends on the company and how much the products are in demand. Some companies stay pretty busy all year round. Again it depends on the company, what type of boats they build, and how far behind they are. The winter months are kinder to companies that get into race boats/ performance boats, then the standard skiier/cruiser type. Hi-po owners are always looking for an edge to go faster then their buddy and the winter is the best time to take care of those big upgrades. Cruisers, they tend to put it away until the Havasu season starts back up again.
As far as money, the industry seems fairly evenly split between paying piece work and hourly. Most lay up, painters, and a lot of riggers work on piece work, most service guys are on commission, and most parts guys are working for hourly.
As a general rule if you want to be able to afford to own a nice boat and actually use it, there are better businesses to go into.

cc322
10-07-2004, 06:24 PM
Good luck to you, gotta follow your dream's

jlnorthrup122
10-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Thank you for your feedback guys. I would like to get into lay up and work my way into tolling up new plugs and molds. originally I wanted to start up my own manufacturing company building high performance boats. But my wife is nothing less that objective and uncoperative i this situation. I am the only income in my household with 2 young kids! if I could get my wife to work and kick some coin I know I could continue as a backyard builder and work my way up with minimal loans! (as HTM did before thier tradgedy) So with this I would like to work for someone like John West Ultra or Eleminator or something along these lines! I would be able to move hopefully by early spring! if I could sell my house soon enough or get the wife to work!