PDA

View Full Version : Lift kit questions

1stepcloser
04-13-2006, 06:41 AM
I'm looking for opinions on lft kits. I am ready to pull the trigger on my truck and have narrowed my list.
I am curious what most of you guys use/like and more importantly, why.
BTW, I hve a 2005 Chevrolet Crew cab L/B 2WD. Looking for 6" lift.

NOTALENT
04-13-2006, 06:44 AM
RCD or CST.
I wouldnt use anyone else.

sigepmock
04-13-2006, 06:50 AM
RCD if your on a budget and don't get too crazy off road.
CST if you want it to be bullet proof.
I've had both and liked them both but the CST is definately Heavier Duty.
I'd stay away from Fabtech and Procomp lifts all together.
The Rancho is ok very similar to RCD but the shocks aren't as nice.
Good luck.
A good shop that takes care of us Hot Boaters in Rancho Motorsports in Ontario. Give Jason Riley, the owner, a call and he'll take care of you. 909-390-3977.
They've done two of my trucks and stand behind their work 100%.
Just my $.02,
Chris

OGShocker
04-13-2006, 07:01 AM
I have 90,000 miles on my CST. NEVER had a problem with it.
I have a hook up if it doesn't step on any members toes..

THATJEFFGUY
04-13-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm looking for opinions on lft kits. I am ready to pull the trigger on my truck and have narrowed my list.
I am curious what most of you guys use/like and more importantly, why.
BTW, I hve a 2005 Chevrolet Crew cab L/B 2WD. Looking for 6" lift.
I have a hookup on CST lifts...PM me with all the details.

1stepcloser
04-13-2006, 07:30 AM
RCD or CST.
I wouldnt use anyone else.
Why not?
I'd stay away from Fabtech and Procomp lifts all together.
Why?

1stepcloser
04-13-2006, 07:36 AM
I appreciate the input, and I expected everyone to praise CST, but can you guys tell me why?
I have rersearched, and looked at and touched alot of kits, most all look similar in construction and quality, save for CST, and thats only the one piece front that sets it apart. I understand the aadvantage of this with a 4WD truck, but I have 2WD.
I will ocasionally drive this off road, mostly to and from the desert riding area's and maybe a romp in the brush.

NOTALENT
04-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Why not?
Why?
Fabtech is cheap. They tend to have many problems...its ok if your just going to use it on the streets...There is better though...

Squirtin Thunder
04-13-2006, 07:43 AM
I have a SkyJacker system, I have over 250K on it, I have loaded the shit out of it still rides great !!!
Kits are cool but Systems are the only way to fly !!!
Rancho has been around for a very long time, they continue to make changes to keep up with the new guy. Rancho is a great sponsor on our off-road truck. You will see them at the races !!!
RCD = Race Car Dynamics
CST = California Super Trucks

sigepmock
04-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Fabtech has had some qualities issues as of late....they have even had to recall a bunch of their steering parts because of failures.
For the money and your use I would highly recommend the RCD kit. Great fit and finish, great quality, and the Bilstein shocks that come with it are the smoothest around. I'v honestly never heard of anyone having a problem with their RCD lift, I can't say the same for Fabtech and Procomp.
This is just my opinion, you're on the right track get all the info you can and make up your own mind,
Chris

1stepcloser
04-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Any opinion on Pro-Comp?

Brewzed
04-13-2006, 08:14 AM
I have a 11" CST on an 06' HD 2WD. I think their kits have the best geometry, which is what you want. Plus the look bitchen. The front wheels
don't stick out further than the back wheels. Also don't use blocks for the rear. Spend the money and get new springs.

OGShocker
04-13-2006, 08:18 AM
ACCESSORY HOUSE 5156 HOLT BLVD MONTCLAIR 91763 (909) 621-5953
For all your needs!

me4drvr
04-13-2006, 08:21 AM
www.alssurvey.com/PICT2910.JPG
This is a photo Brewed and My trucks, Custom Motorsports did both trucks. Both are CST with 38" Nitto Mudders. Nothing but an excellent experience with them...
I had a 6" Fagtech on my old truck and had nothing but problems, had to be retightened every 2-3k miles, ball joint failure (Scary as hell), luckily failed after a river trip, not on the 40 towing... squeaky as a mother too. The former Truck Toyz in Irvine did that one...

River918
04-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Any opinion on Pro-Comp?
I've had two Chevys and one ford with Pro-Comp and have never had a problem. I don't do any hard off-roading, so this system has been great for my driving needs. The ride is smooth on the freeway, which was a must...Everyone has an opinion, but Pro-Comp has worked great on my trucks
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2670-1.jpg

Havasu Cig
04-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Fabtech has had some qualities issues as of late....they have even had to recall a bunch of their steering parts because of failures.
For the money and your use I would highly recommend the RCD kit. Great fit and finish, great quality, and the Bilstein shocks that come with it are the smoothest around. I'v honestly never heard of anyone having a problem with their RCD lift, I can't say the same for Fabtech and Procomp.
This is just my opinion, you're on the right track get all the info you can and make up your own mind,
Chris
I installed a 6" Fabtech kit on our 04 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 and IMO it is a good kit. First of all they don't supply any steering components on the 6" kit, so there is not an issue there. I replaced all the factory steering components (which are weak) with Moog stuff, and it has worked very well.
The Fabtech kit comes with after market knuckles that are a lot beefier (sp) than the factory ones, where as Pro-Comp uses the factory ones. The Fabtech kit installed very nicely and all the components were high quality stuff.
My experience with the shops that do lifts will try and sell you what they prefer, and will talk $hit about the companies they don't like. I experienced this when I was looking for a kit for my Jeep recently. I have done a few trucks myself that I have owned and the fabtech kit is a quality kit IMO.

1stepcloser
04-13-2006, 08:45 AM
My experience with the shops that do lifts will try and sell you what they prefer, and will talk $hit about the companies they don't like.
Thanks for the opinion, This is what I am finding as well.
I have found all good reviews for CST, RCD and Pro-Comp..... and why their kits are superior to the other, each from their respective distributors. :rolleyes:
I came here looking for actual reviews from guys that use the kits.

Squirtin Thunder
04-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Kits = Front suspension and rear blocks = half ass job - Dangerous while towing (14" U bolts)
System = Front and rear suspension shocks all mounting hardware = a completely engineered system.

1stepcloser
04-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Kits = Front suspension and rear blocks = half ass job - Dangerous while towing (14" U bolts)
System = Front and rear suspension shocks all mounting hardware = a completely engineered system.
Agreed. I dont plan on using the blocks, Deaver is my choice to replace the rear spring pack. I'm trying to figure out what to use in the front.

Mr. Crusader 83
04-13-2006, 09:02 AM
I Have A 7in Fabtech Lift Kit (dropdown Crossmember Kit) With 17in Kmc's With 33in Bfg Mudders For Sale For $2900 For All. All Less Then 3 Months Old.
Pm Me If You Want It. Im Going Straight Axel Convertion 16in Lift On 40's

502schiada
04-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Cognito motorsports is supposed to be a real good one. Best geometry and changes stock steering idler that wears out early. They have a 7-9" and a 10-12".

canuck1
04-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Why would you lift a 2 wheel drive truck????????

1stepcloser
04-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Cause a 35" tire wont fit without lifting it.

canuck1
04-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Cause a 35" tire wont fit without lifting it.
Wanna bet? Have sawzall will travel :rollside:

Squirtin Thunder
04-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Agreed. I dont plan on using the blocks, Deaver is my choice to replace the rear spring pack. I'm trying to figure out what to use in the front.
Just remember when you choose your rear spring rating you plan for your boats tongue weight and any extra cargo. You can have them build the rears with load and unloaded rates. When it sags to a certain point it will get stiffer.

Ultracrazy
04-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Don't mean to highjack the thread........but has anyone lifted a 2wd Suburban? It's mostly for looks........

Brewzed
04-13-2006, 11:52 AM
there's a chick a couple doors down from our office that has an 02' 2WD Sub that has a custom 12" lift. It's pretty sweet

THATJEFFGUY
04-13-2006, 11:59 AM
ACCESSORY HOUSE 5156 HOLT BLVD MONTCLAIR 91763 (909) 621-5953
For all your needs!
..what he said !! Talk to Cory, he'll hook you up !

THATJEFFGUY
04-13-2006, 12:00 PM
there's a chick a couple doors down from our office that has an 02' 2WD Sub that has a custom 12" lift. It's pretty sweet
Is it a "Bulletproof" kit ?

THATJEFFGUY
04-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Any opinion on Pro-Comp?
I had a Pro-Comp on my Excursion. Never did any "real heavy" off-road stuff, but I never had a problem with it in the 3 years it was on.

AZJD
04-13-2006, 12:29 PM
I have been in the market for a lift and been everywhere and read everything. RCD and CST are great lifts, and Pro Comp has stepped it up. Make sure you check out Full Throttle Suspension.....I have not heard much about them on the open market, but you can't beat the prices...... I am looking at an 8" lift and the prices on their comprable 9.5" lift is half of everyone elses......worth a look at least!

AZJD
04-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Any opinion on Pro-Comp?
Pro Comp has a great lift, especially now with their own resevoir shocks, but make sure no matter what lift you choose you spend the extra $850.00 on the FST front steering stabilizer with heim joints. The stock connectors are garbage, and under pressure of big tires they will tweak!

Kahuna
04-13-2006, 01:16 PM
I went with Fabtech over CST because CST does not relocate the lower control arm crossmember.

my21advantage
04-13-2006, 02:46 PM
I installed a 6" Fabtech kit on our 04 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 and IMO it is a good kit. First of all they don't supply any steering components on the 6" kit, so there is not an issue there. I replaced all the factory steering components (which are weak) with Moog stuff, and it has worked very well.
The Fabtech kit comes with after market knuckles that are a lot beefier (sp) than the factory ones, where as Pro-Comp uses the factory ones. The Fabtech kit installed very nicely and all the components were high quality stuff.
My experience with the shops that do lifts will try and sell you what they prefer, and will talk $hit about the companies they don't like. I experienced this when I was looking for a kit for my Jeep recently. I have done a few trucks myself that I have owned and the fabtech kit is a quality kit IMO.
I agree I have a FABTECH Kit on my 03' Chevy 2500 and I've had no problems with it....
The Kit depends on if you're gonna 4x4 in it or if you're going to be on the streets more???

SoCalSouthpaw
04-13-2006, 02:48 PM
kelderman airride systems. nothing else compares.....you pay for this tho.

Brewzed
04-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Fabtech is known for breaking parts. I know 3 different guys that have had parts break and front wheels fold under the trucks.
I have heard that they have done a lot of R&D and are supposed to be better now.

sigepmock
04-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Anyone have anything bad to say about CST? I have heard, read about, and seen a lot of problems with Fabtech lifts. Procomp is a decent lift but their customer service sucks if you ever do have a problem. We have a good friend with a 2x 2500HD with the RCD and he beats the crap out of the truck and hasn't had a problem.
I think the biggest thing to consider is that you pick a good reputable shop that will stand behind their product and install. The best lift is no good if it was installed by a hack.......and a so so lift that is installed by a good installer that knows how to make it work can give you years of trouble free use.
Lots of good shops mentioned so far, call around find the one you feel most comfortable with.
Here's a few pics of my current truck:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495front_shocks1-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495rear_shocks-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495progress-med.JPG
I couldn't find exactly what I wanted so I started with the CST from Rancho Motorsports then had Casey and the boys at SoCal Supertrucks in San Bernadino add the custom hoops and Kings.
Again do your research and find a good shop you feel comfortable with. Don't cut corners and you should be happy with your new toy.
Chris

onetallhd
04-13-2006, 06:07 PM
I have a 8" CST lift and have 80k miles on it and not one problem. Like was mentioned before change the rear springs don't settle for blocks. You'll be much happier you did.

Mr. Crusader 83
04-13-2006, 07:15 PM
I Have A 00 Silverado 2 Wheel. Fabtech 7in Lift With A 3 In Body Lift On 35's. Its Okay, I Keep Burnin Up Wheel Bearings Like Mad. I Was To Do The Full Throtle Suspension Lift. Its 9 In With No Body Lift.

pixilatedpussy
04-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Its for looks hunny! :p

tahitijet
04-15-2006, 11:25 AM
The 2 best kits are cognito and CST.
if you want the absolute best. then go cognito.
if you want something good on a budget go CST
as it's been stated before and ive caught flack for it but do yourself a favor and stay away from fab-tech and other lifts sold at 4wp. They jsut have to many problems. I know there are guys on this site that have succesfully run these lifts but i have personally probably fixed more of them then there are people on this site wit lfited trucks.
Someone gave some good advice earlier in this thread that most shops push what they like and talk crap on the rest.. This is true for most shops. Personally i make my living doing custom fab not lift kits. We do lifts basicly for side money. We stand behind and fully back our installs and products we sale. We use and recomend the products we use simple becasue every time it comes back for whatever issue it cost me money. Since my buisness is not based on lifts kits to survive i don't have to use cheaper parts to lower my prices to get the job and raise my volume. Bottom line is find an installer you can trust that will back the product he is installing and go for it.
For what its worth last friday i installed a cogntio lift on a newer tahoe that had a pro-comp 6" lift previously. Granted this kid uses his truck hard at pismo and generlly around town. but he had broken that kit 3 times. As a result of the design of the kit is took heavy fabrication to restore strenght and bracketry to the driver side of the frame (the last kit requires removal of a large section of the control arm pocket in the frame and diff mount) as well as required a new driver side front diff case (the last kit has you cut off the mount basicly mounting the front diff off 2 points)
Good luck on your choice. If you need any input or advice feel free to call the shop