PDA

View Full Version : Small block Dodge Question??

david_396
10-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Helped a friend install a dodge 360 motor with powerdyne supercharger. Original motor was a 318. He had the supercharger on the 318 that was originally in the truck. Anyway, the motor, the 360, was bought from private party. Now I've been a Chevy man all my life, and these dodge motors are a strange breed. The distributor doesn't have a gear that is driven off the cam. It uses just the oil pump shaft. Looks like no way to install a tooth off, like on a chevy. Went to install the distributor and the rotor was pointing at #4 position on the cap. turn motor over and it's at #7. Removed valve cover and plug verified top dead center. both vavles closed. Now the question: cam seems to be installed properly, but can the cam/pump gear be removed and repositioned? Also are the balancers different on a 318 and 360? thanxs david

Kindsvater Flat
10-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Either move the wires or index the oil pump drive in the right spot. Thats all there is.

david_396
10-10-2004, 08:54 PM
How does the gear come out, or how does one go about removing it?Original motor was '96. The new motor is I think a '99. Didn't remove anything off old motor. The new motor is complete, although the balancer looks damaged, wobbles when running. we did move plug wires around and thats how we got it started. Pulled motor, Again, in less that 24 hours, because there didn't look like no way to remove the cam/pump gear with the motor in the truck. It is positioned way,way under the cowl. barely could see the rotor. will try to pull gear. didn't know it came out or how to get it out. thanxs for the quick reply david

Kindsvater Flat
10-10-2004, 09:39 PM
I use long needle nose with mine. Just grab hold and pull up.