PDA

View Full Version : what to SELL??

wildbillg
10-11-2004, 06:54 PM
I have got a 2000 Jeep Wrangler and a 1999 Harley Dyna Wide Glide...
The wife is kind of leaning on me to sell the bike and keep the Jeep for off road use. Here's the just of the deal, One of my riding friends went down about a month ago and is still in a coma in the hospital. I am the only one in the family that works and she is on disability, basicly she is worried I am going to go down and get hurt like him. I have had bikes for YEARS yes you do go down if you ride, it is just a matter of when.
She is tellin me I can do ANYthing I want to to the jeep, IF I sell the bike and keep the jeep.
Lets take a poll.................

clownpuncher
10-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your bud.
Anything to the jeep? Sounds like a fair trade.
No matter what people say, it's ultimately your decision. Weigh the pro's/cons and go with it.
I will say that I've changed my mind this last year to build a bike. Being a fireman for over 20 years has given me some bad memories and that's what made my decision. I've never been a Harley rider so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.
Whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK. ;)

cola
10-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Keep all three, unless shes ready to leave.
Late, Mike

Boozer
10-11-2004, 07:27 PM
What's funner to ride? The wife or the Harley?

charlyox
10-11-2004, 07:33 PM
I've got an '02 Fatboy and an "04 Rubicon and I'm keepin both!

GlastronGuy
10-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Normally I'd say get rid of the harley. But if the wife is telling you what to do (assuming you are a grown man), I'd get rid of the wife.

Kilrtoy
10-11-2004, 08:01 PM
I say the harley it probably breaks and bitches more than the wife...
Plus I dont think the wife is gonna kill you... Spend the money you get and enjoy some of it.... :smile:

wildbillg
10-11-2004, 08:02 PM
I've got an '02 Fatboy and an "04 Rubicon and I'm keepin both!
see I do have another Jeep also
a 2002 that the wife drives daily....

DryHeatOnly
10-11-2004, 08:12 PM
She's obviously concerned about you and scared by your friend's accident. Some would have said no-way right off the bat, but you didn't. Since you're even contemplating getting rid of the Harley, I think you've already made a subconsious decision to do it.
No, I'm not a psychologist, but I did stay at ***boat Hotel over the weekend ;)

Kilrtoy
10-11-2004, 08:49 PM
She's obviously concerned about you and scared by your friend's accident. Some would have said no-way right off the bat, but you didn't. Since you're even contemplating getting rid of the Harley, I think you've already made a subconsious decision to do it.
Damn Sam , That was deep.....

DryHeatOnly
10-11-2004, 08:53 PM
C'mon people. It's like the commerical that begins on a skydiving plane. A man that appears to be an instructor at an open door guiding first time jumpers out the door. He yells, "Give me a clean exit and a good arch, go!" The diver jumps as others follow out the door. The man again yells, "Pay attention, right, heads up, at 4,500 feet, look, reach, pull. Go, come on you can do it." The divers jump while listening to his instruction. A woman about to jump stops and asks the man, "How many times have you done this?" He answers, "None but I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night." The woman dives out the door.
C'mon people...work with me. :notam: :D

Phat Matt
10-11-2004, 09:00 PM
C'mon people. It's like the commerical that begins on a skydiving plane. A man that appears to be an instructor at an open door guiding first time jumpers out the door. He yells, "Give me a clean exit and a good arch, go!" The diver jumps as others follow out the door. The man again yells, "Pay attention, right, heads up, at 4,500 feet, look, reach, pull. Go, come on you can do it." The divers jump while listening to his instruction. A woman about to jump stops and asks the man, "How many times have you done this?" He answers, "None but I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night." The woman dives out the door.
C'mon people...work with me. :notam: :D
Remind me not to go skydiving with Sam the instructor! :)

Some Kind Of Monster
10-11-2004, 09:32 PM
The Jeep will pull a boat (well, not a big one). Keep the Jeep!

JetBoatRich
10-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Sell either one ;) and replace it when ready :D
Tough to get rid of a Harly :D you get emotional attacted :supp:

BarryMac
10-12-2004, 05:28 AM
Can't have sex with the Jeep or the Harley but you can have sex in the Jeep, I suppose you can have sex on the Harley but probably not a comfortable, Oh hell, I can't decide, I would keep the one that is going to allow you to have more sex...
gjb

MagicMtnDan
10-12-2004, 05:46 AM
Since you asked I'll add one more thing - I hope you have excellent health and life insurance.
Since your wife is rightly concerned about your well-being and she's on disability, even selling the Harley cannot ensure you're not going to be injured or worse. Make sure you're insured so she/family are covered.
-Magic Mtn (not-an-insurance-salesman-nor-am-I hoping-for-anything-but-good-health-for-you) Dan

spectratoad
10-12-2004, 06:21 AM
didn't vote since other options weren't there.
You could get t-boned in the Jeep and chances are that the top is off, belt doesn't work and you get thrown out or it rolls and you get hurt that way. Maybe you have a little more protection in a car but when it's time, it's time.
I would keep both but you just have to assume when you are on the bike nobody can see you.
My .02 - Not one of those "get rid of the wife" type clown comments. You're in this together. And I echo the insurance deal. Make sure you are covered.

jeepinscott
10-12-2004, 07:07 AM
This is me last weekend:
http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/files/bob91yj/20041011202749_IMG_0008.JPG
http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/files/bob91yj/20041011202833_IMG_0010.JPG
http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/files/bob91yj/20041011202917_IMG_0012.JPG
I agree with your wife, not cause I am a pussy, but because I had a friend die last year on his bike. No fault of his own, there was a broken down car in the middle of the road on a blind corner. He left a wife and two boys under 5 yrs old.
I am the bread winner in my family, people count on me to provide for them and I accept that. When less people count on me, I will again have a street bike, until then I ride my yzf and wheel the piss out of my jeep.

RiverToysJas
10-12-2004, 07:25 AM
That's AWESOME Scott!!! Great photos. A Jeep is definately on my short list of toys to own. I used to have lots of fun in my Toyota standard cab, short cab V6. That thing was great off road - it was my only vehicle, so I didn't get crazy, but had a lot of fun none the less.
As for the question at hand.....I want to build a Harley pretty bad, but with two kids (5 and 2), and a wife depending on me, it's just not practical. Indian Larry was a real idle of mine, I loved his style of bikes. It also hit me pretty hard when he died last month. I can wait for the kids to grow up before putting it out on the line. Anymore, my kids are much more important to me anyway than the thrill. I had lots of thrills for a long time, I'm at a different place in my life now, but that's just me. ;) :D
RTJas :D

Lightning
10-12-2004, 07:54 AM
If I was you, I would sell the jeep - because you have one already. Or you can sell both and have some money in the bank. If you are looking to sell the bike, let me know - I may be interested.
I would say like others here have, make sure you know what insurance coverage you have. Being in the financial planning business, I see so many people who think they are insuranced for certain things and in reality they aren't. Make sure your coverage is adequate.

wildbillg
10-12-2004, 08:15 AM
I think we do have enough insurance covrage, try to make it enough to pay off the house and give her enough money to live on.
The bike is a thing that is MINE and when im on it i dont have to worry about anything but me, kind of a little escape from reality.

Stealth Marine
10-12-2004, 08:24 AM
If your wife REALLY gave you and OPEN TICKET on the Jeep, then there should be NO question in your mind.
SELL the bike.
BUILD UP THE JEEP!
Jeeps are like boats, the Sky is the limit on building them.
===========
Chris Parrett,
Lake Havasu City {Bronco Country!}
Max's Home Page
http://www.abysmal.com/bronco/
Off-Road.com, Truck of the Month
http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1999/09/
87 Bronco Custom (VERY CUSTOM)
351W EFI Bored & Stroked to 408
4 core aluminum radiator
Accel Fuel Pump
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Automotive Racing Products (154-3603) Cylinder Head Bolts
Clevite Engine Parts, Main Bearings, LE-MS1432P
Clevite H-series Connecting Rob Bearings, CLE-CB663H
Cloyes Timing Chain
Competition Cams Hydraulic Roller Pushrods
Eagle Specialty Products 3-D Rods
Eagle Specialty Products Forged 4340 Steel Crank
Edelbrock (3838) 61mm Twin Throttle Body
Edelbrock (3881) Performer Truck Aluminum Upper & Lower intake manifold
Edlebrock Plenum Chamber Gasket, EDL 3832
Edelbrock Performer 6037 Aluminum Cylinder Heads
Felpro Intake Gasket, 1250FEL
Felpro Oil Pan Gasket, 1810
Ford OEM Fan Shroud
Ford SVO M-6250-E303 Hydraulic Roller Tappet Camshaft
Ford SVO Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Ford SVO Aluminum M-6582-B351 Valve Covers
Ford SVO F3ZZ12-A-650-FB EEC-IV Mass Air Computer
Ford SVO M-12071-C302 Multiport EFI Wiring Harness
Ford SVO M-12071-D302 Sensor and Relay Package
Ford CVO M-12071-E302 Engine Harness & Controls
Ford SVO M-9593-B302 EFI Hi-Flo 30lb Injectors
Jacobs Ultra Team Ignition
JBA Shorty Headers
JE Forged Pistons, 9.6:1 compression
JE Plasma Ceramic Rings
Melling (83) Hi Volume Oil Pump
Michigan 77 Bearings
Michigan Cam Bearings
Mr. Gasket Intake Manifold Bolts
Napa Aux Oil Cooler
Napa Starter
Napa Reverse rotation water pump
Superchip Custom EEC chip
Vortech Mass Air sensor
3" custom CATBack Exhaust with Flowmaster Muffler.
Advanced Gearing Systems Power Steering
American Racing 10x15 Black Rock Crawler wheels
ARB 4.10 Front & Rear air lockers w/braided steel lines
Autometer Phantom ARB Air Pressure Gauge
Autometer Phantom Cylinder Head Temp
Autometer Phantom Exhaust Gas Temp
Autometer Phantom Fuel Gauge
Autometer Phantom Fuel Pressure Gauge
Autometer Phantom Manifold Vacuum
Autometer Phantom Oil Pressure
Autometer Phantom Oil temperature
Autometer Phantom Speedometer
Autometer Phantom Tachometer
Autometer Phantom Tranny Temp
Autometer Phantom Volt Meter
Autometer Phantom Water Temp
B&M Deep Fined Transmission pan
Bestop "Pro" Seat
BFG 35x12.5 R15 All Terrain tires
Bushwacker Fender Flares
Custom front CV drive shaft
Custom AOD Transmission
Diversified Cryogenics Frozen Rotors
Dual Optima "Blue-Top" Batteries
Ford F-350 Master Brake Cylinder
Ford F-250 rear drum cylinders
Hella Dual Horns
K&N Filtercharger
KWS Custom Front Bumper
KWS Custom gauge panel
KWS Custom rear bumper w/4, 5 gallon jerry cans
KWS Custom Rock Guard bars
KWS Custom Roof Rack
Mechanical Man 175 Amp Alternator
Mechanical Man Dual Battery Power Management System
Mosser axles
New Driveshaft
Northwest Metal 45 Gallon Fuel Tank
Pro-Comp 6" 130 watt spots.
Rancho 4 Inch Lift w/ Extended Radius Arms
Rancho RS 9000 Shocks (6) with Remote control
Rebuilt Tranfercase.
Revolver Custom Shackles
Superlift 4.5" Rear Springs
Warn 6" Round Flood Lights (6)
Warn M12000 Winch
Warn Premium hubs (converted from 87 flange to 86)
Warn SDB-120HB Fog lights
Warn SDB-210HB Dual Beam Driving Lights

uvindex
10-12-2004, 08:41 AM
I think we do have enough insurance covrage, try to make it enough to pay off the house and give her enough money to live on.
I assume you're talking about life insurance (which is really death insurance, of course.) However, if you get creamed on the bike, but are not dead, just in a vegetative state for 5, 10, or 20 years, the life insurance doesn't do squat, but the medical and other bills will be astronomical, and your income will be zero, of course. If you're counting on only life insurance, just make sure you consider the other possibilities too.
Good luck with your decision. I'm not anti-bike at all (rode for many years) just think people who have other people depending on them should think twice before taking on extra risks. :)

Lightning
10-12-2004, 09:01 AM
I assume you're talking about life insurance (which is really death insurance, of course.) However, if you get creamed on the bike, but are not dead, just in a vegetative state for 5, 10, or 20 years, the life insurance doesn't do squat, but the medical and other bills will be astronomical, and your income will be zero, of course. If you're counting on only life insurance, just make sure you consider the other possibilities too.
Good luck with your decision. I'm not anti-bike at all (rode for many years) just think people who have other people depending on them should think twice before taking on extra risks. :)
This is very true, most people have life insurance but do not have any disability coverage above the basic state disab. This is always interesting to me considering their is a higher chance of disability vs. death.

LVJAKAZ
10-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Hubby almost died on a Harley. A car came out from nowhere and took him out. SO....you know what I would suggest you do.
Good Luck with what ever decision you make and be safe :)

switchin'addiction
10-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Go with your gut, it's never wrong. I used to ride, but seen to many bad things so if you want my opinion keep the jeep. Not the same as riding a bike, but shooting down a 2 lane outside out of town, top down, doors off & some good tunes blasting you are getting pretty damn close to the 2wheel escape from reality.

Tom Brown
10-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Keep both and fuk the wife happy.