PDA

View Full Version : How do you L.A. people do it?

Ziggy
10-12-2004, 04:10 PM
I spent 3 hrs on the freeways this morning for a normal 1 1/2 hr drive :squiggle: :( I COULD NOT handle that every day....... :rollside: I'd go loopy. I much prefer my 7 mile 10 minute commute :cool:

Misogynist
10-12-2004, 04:14 PM
I must be a weirdo here in Los Angeles.... I spend more on car insurance than I do on gasoline... I am so close to work that I walk here... the parts guys deliver... the bank is on one corner... the post office is on the other... and the grocery store is less than a block away... I put more miles on my bicycle a week just exercising than I do driving my car... Although I did drive 600 miles on Sunday..... :rollside:

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
10-12-2004, 04:15 PM
I must be a weirdo here in Los Angeles.... I spend more on car insurance than I do on gasoline... I am so close to work that I walk here... the parts guys deliver... the bank is on one corner... the post office is on the other... and the grocery store is less than a block away... I put more miles on my bicycle a week just exercising than I do driving my car... Although I did drive 600 miles on Sunday..... :rollside:
do you live at the beach? that doesn't sound like any LA neighborhood i ever spent time in!!

Kilrtoy
10-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Where exactly do you live that you can do all that

Raisin Wake
10-12-2004, 05:06 PM
traffic + XM radio + zone out = commute :boxed:

Waist Deep
10-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Screw LA. It takes me 2 hours to get to LA from HB. Now with all the homes going up in Riverside. it will more than likely screw up the ride to the river worse than it is. Five hours from HB to Blythe. WTF!!!

Raisin Wake
10-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Once they finish the 91, 215, 60 interchange, the traffic should let up. Of course, that won't be until 2007... :frown:

Dribble
10-12-2004, 05:57 PM
It's getting bad here in Nor Cal too. It takes me thirty five minutes to make the 25 mille drive to work. Through two counties and across a bridge. The nearest launch ramp is 4 miles away and if you want to waterski on glass smooth water on weekends you have to drive 20 miles to the Sacramento River.
If you want to boat on Lake Tahoe, Oroville, Berryessa, Bullards Bar or Englebright, plan on spending an hour and a half getting there. Or just make the thirty minute drive to Camp Far West or Rollins.
Did I mention that I have to drive four minutes to launch my freakin boat on a million acre ft lake.
It's getting ridiculous.

Waist Deep
10-12-2004, 06:42 PM
LA/OC sucks. If I did not have to work out of here, I'd be in AZ in a flash.

C-2
10-12-2004, 07:48 PM
My record from Riverside/Norco to downtown Los Angeles where I used to have an office is 3.5 hours, for an otherwise 50 mile, 50 minute commute.
Took me 3 1/4 hours the other day from West Los Angeles to Lake Forest, all via the 405. 4:00 pm to 7:15 pm.
No doubt about it, traffic sucks.

Mrs. casean
10-12-2004, 07:50 PM
My record from Riverside/Norco to downtown Los Angeles where I used to have an office is 3.5 hours, for an otherwise 50 mile, 50 minute commute.
Took me 3 1/4 hours the other day from West Los Angeles to Lake Forest, all via the 405. 4:00 pm to 7:15 pm.
OMG that is terrible! One good thing about moving out of O.C.... although I enjoyed the beach, traffic is gettin so bad... not that it is great over here... but better for now.
That is awful guys... hopefully you don't have to do that often.

ROZ
10-12-2004, 08:00 PM
I much prefer my 7 mile 10 minute commute :cool:
i hear ya! This morning was tough though. Traffic was a bit hearier than normal. Took me 12 mins. rather than my usual 10min... My 8mile commute seemed like forever :D

Mrs. casean
10-12-2004, 08:02 PM
i hear ya! This morning was tough though. Traffic was a bit hearier than normal. Took me 12 mins. rather than my usual 10min... My 8mile commute seemed like forever :D
You suck! Temecula to CSUSM... 45 minutes at 6 am... coming home from Escondido at 5... 1 hour... this is when I miss living in escondido.

C-2
10-12-2004, 08:05 PM
OMG that is terrible! One good thing about moving out of O.C.... although I enjoyed the beach, traffic is gettin so bad... not that it is great over here... but better for now.
That is awful guys... hopefully you don't have to do that often.
Flashback ten years ago:
Traffic on the 15? As if. Next you'll be telling my my home in Norco is worth a million dollars.
Who whadda thought. :hammerhea :hammerhea

Mrs. casean
10-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Flashback ten years ago:
Traffic on the 15? As if. Next you'll be telling my my home in Norco is worth a million dollars.
Who whadda thought. :hammerhea :hammerhea
I KNOW!!! we moved here feb or 03 and already traffic has worsend drastically... in another 5 years... I don't even wanna know...

jeepinscott
10-12-2004, 08:09 PM
I drive 55 miles straight down the 10 Freeway to work. Yucaipa to Rosemead. I work 12 hr shifts so I am there before traffic and leave towards the end of the rush. It takes me about 50 minutes to get to work, and an hour and 15 to get home. I only work 14 days per month so it is just bearable.
I have to agree with tvwebguy, kinda, sirius sat radio+zone=ok commute.
It's actually quite relaxing and good time to be alone with my thoughts, kind of a wind down each day.

ROZ
10-12-2004, 08:12 PM
You suck! Temecula to CSUSM... 45 minutes at 6 am... coming home from Escondido at 5... 1 hour... this is when I miss living in escondido. Is it any faster to shoot down Deersprings? It turns into twin oaks.... Where in esco did you live?

Boozer
10-12-2004, 08:14 PM
I was commuting Chino to Irvine which took anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 3 1/2 hours. I was pretty much late to work everyday because you just couldnt predict traffic.
Now I drive Chino to Corona. Taking the 71 sucks ass but theres only 3 1/2 miles of traffic in my 20 mile commute. Total drive time is 30-45 minutes. Although, with the way Corona is growing I imagine the commute is only going to worsen with time. Just hopefully not get bad enough to take 3+ hours!

Mrs. casean
10-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Is it any faster to shoot down Deersprings? It turns into twin oaks.... Where in esco did you live?
I do go Deer Springs when the line is not long in the morning... otherwise I just go El Norte to woodland to barham...
We used to live @ Reidy Creek, but moved to Temecula feb of 03.

Wet Dream
10-12-2004, 08:17 PM
traffic + XM radio + zone out = commute :boxed:
Add in the Opie and Anthony show and you're good to go!!! Channel 202, but you gotta spend a whole $1.99/month. Well worth it.

MAINEVENT
10-12-2004, 08:19 PM
I used to drive from Seal Beach to Westlake Village Monday through Saturday leave in the morning @ 5 am 1 1/2 to get there would sleep in my truck till 8 work then drive home @ 4:30 wouldn't get home until 8 or 9pm i did for 4 months i was going crazy plus i would smoke a pack of Ziggs just on the way home Fock that never again now i drive 7 mins from my place to the office and i am their :D

JetBoatRich
10-12-2004, 08:23 PM
I spent the last 20 years commuting one way or another :yuk: last actual daily commute was the high desert to Malibu everyday :confused: 82 mile one way. Listen to the radio, have other routes for possible closures, etc. 4wd comes in handy for snow or heavy rain and slides :yuk:
My longest commute for almost a year was high desert to San Pedro everyday 96 miles with no real way but the freeway to work. At least the Malibu ride, I could cut through the S.F.V. and take canyon roads.
we do what we must to provide for our family :cool: now I commute 325 miles one way on Monday and home on Friday :yuk:

Krazy K
10-12-2004, 08:28 PM
One time, when I was visiting family, I was up by Griffith Park in LA visiting my cousin(who has since moved back up here). I had to get down to my sister's place in Orange....2 1/2 hours!!!.......................................... .................................................. .............................................ON A SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Interesting fact......The population of OC is almost the same as the STATE of Oregon. Wanna know why we have traffic??? Huh?? Do ya?????
BECAUSE WE STILL HAVE 2-3 LANE FREEWAYS and people are moving here in droves!! They are adding 1 lane to the 26 to make it 3 lanes. At the speed ODOT moves, it will be done in about 4 years!! You think CALTRANS moves slow?? They are Speed Racer compared to ODOT!!!
It's all relative....

cdog
10-12-2004, 09:21 PM
I've lived here all of my life. As far west as Redondo Beach to as far east as Yucaipa. Now i'm in Anaheim Hills. If I had to drive the freeway still i'd move the hell out of here. From the time I was 18 I drove from Redlands to Torrance 5-6 days a week after working for 12 hours a day. F that. Did it for 3 years and I thought I was about to kill someone at a moments notice. I don't really have to drive much now but still ponder moving to AZ. You've got to question you're quality of life while living in this shit hole. I love where I live but hate going anywhere. Too many squirls trying to bust the same nut.

Mrs. casean
10-12-2004, 09:25 PM
I've lived here all of my life. As far west as Redondo Beach to as far east as Yucaipa. Now i'm in Anaheim Hills. If I had to drive the freeway still i'd move the hell out of here. From the time I was 18 I drove from Redlands to Torrance 5-6 days a week after working for 12 hours a day. F that. Did it for 3 years and I thought I was about to kill someone at a moments notice. I don't really have to drive much now but still ponder moving to AZ. You've got to question you're quality of life while living in this shit hole. I love where I live but hate going anywhere. Too many squirls trying to bust the same nut.
so right cdog... you have to plan your day around traffic... gets old. I know when I can go "into town" (I'm about 3 miles out hehe) but the minute you enter the "town" you're trapped and can't get anywhere! It's getting terrible... The Mr and I talked about going to Nevada or Az... I got to know the Phoenix outskirts a bit while I was at NAU for a year... there was talk... but didn't happen... someday maybe. We like where we are now if we don't have to run errands on the weekend. This may hopefully will end my commuting and I will find a job locally. So just one of us will commute... Temecula to Carlsbad... eeerrr... do what ya gotta do I guess...
What are you considering if you move?

voodoomedman
10-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Yeah man I tell you. When the freeway sucks. It can be murder taking side streets and having to make my 6 mile commute in 15 minutes instead of 8. I hate that.
Seriously though. No way in hell would I work in LA or or OC. Drivin from Chino to Ontario is way too sweet.

cdog
10-12-2004, 10:03 PM
so right cdog... you have to plan your day around traffic... gets old. I know when I can go "into town" (I'm about 3 miles out hehe) but the minute you enter the "town" you're trapped and can't get anywhere! It's getting terrible... The Mr and I talked about going to Nevada or Az... I got to know the Phoenix outskirts a bit while I was at NAU for a year... there was talk... but didn't happen... someday maybe. We like where we are now if we don't have to run errands on the weekend. This may hopefully will end my commuting and I will find a job locally. So just one of us will commute... Temecula to Carlsbad... eeerrr... do what ya gotta do I guess...
What are you considering if you move?
My wife is from Tucson and went to U of A. But we will probably end up in scottsdale. I used to work out in Phoenix for about 2 years and loved it. For 500k you can buy a huge house, the kind of home that would cost at least 1.2 million in oc. I'm a realtor here and am trying to build a brokerage so that I can reproduce the same in AZ eventualy. I figure it will take a couple of more years but everyone's got to have goals. I will always have a home here and we we're lucky enough to buy here before everything went crazy so I think it makes a lot of sence to try to be in both places. It's all about quality of life.

Misogynist
10-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Where exactly do you live that you can do all that
Glendale... very near the intersection of the 5 and 134 freeways......... :D
I can ride my bicycle from my shop to the top of Mt. Hollywood drive ( closed to traffic... goes up to the Hollywood sign) down to the observatory... then past the Greek theater to Los Feliz dr... Take that to the LA river bed... and back along the bicycle path to my shop... 15 miles... takes me 60 to 64 minutes depending on the lights..... I did it this morning.... :D

Krazy K
10-12-2004, 11:57 PM
The prices of homes is getting ridiculous!! My dad bought a condo overlooking Lake Mission Viejo 2 YEARS AGO for $350k. His model is now selling for $600k!! And what is funny is that it's only about 1100 sq ft!!

Misogynist
10-13-2004, 12:00 AM
The prices of homes is getting ridiculous!! My dad bought a condo overlooking Lake Mission Viejo 2 YEARS AGO for $350k. His model is now selling for $600k!! And what is funny is that it's only about 1100 sq ft!!
Do you ever get the feeling that there is a big bubble about to burst?... :220v:

Tom Brown
10-13-2004, 12:07 AM
I spent 3 hrs on the freeways this morning for a normal 1 1/2 hr drive :squiggle: :( I COULD NOT handle that every day....... :rollside: I'd go loopy. I much prefer my 7 mile 10 minute commute :cool:
My commute is 25 minutes... walking*.
On my bike... 7 minutes*.
In my car... 5~7 minutes*.
* Note: These figures taken during peak traffic times. For slack times, subtract 1 minute from all figures.
:)
Other destinations of interest:
home -> downtown = ~ 1.5 miles
home -> lake = ~ 50 miles
home -> downtown L.A. ~ 1350 miles
Average wait at my favorite launch ramp = 0 minutes

RiverRatMike
10-13-2004, 12:30 AM
that's what I did. I live in LHC AZ now and hate CA never again!

riverbound
10-13-2004, 05:32 AM
I commute every day (territory manager). The only way I can handle it is XM, Ipod,Movies, TV and cell phone (3000 min.a amonth) as lonf as I have something to do I'm fine sitting in traffic.

ahhell
10-13-2004, 06:14 AM
I have a 6.5 mile drive. I get pissed having to wait for the school crossing gaurd :cool:
i have a hard time drinking a whole cup o' coffe on the way to work
did my time on the freeway for 10 years...thats enuf

Todd969
10-13-2004, 06:23 AM
Temple City to West Hills 43 miles in 40 minutes straight up the 134/101 ( at 5:00am ), going home 118fwy to 210 about an hour ( 4:00ish pm ) Not too bad.

THOR
10-13-2004, 06:30 AM
The traffic here sucks, but it is the best place to live in the world. I have been to AZ an NV and it is ass hot as the river and windy, and ........

superdave013
10-13-2004, 07:24 AM
I did the commute from Manhatten Beach to Anaheim for 9 years.
Now that I moved my 4 miles trek to work is pretty nice. Takes me about 15 min or so riding a bike. :)

Essex502
10-13-2004, 07:27 AM
I spend 2-1/2 hours - minimum - every weekday commuting on the SoCal freeways...I can't wait to retire and move out of this damn state! 4 more years!

OGShocker
10-13-2004, 07:31 AM
Chino to San Gabriel @ 5:00AM, 28 miles in 45 minutes barring accidents.
San Gabriel to Chino @ 5:00PM, 28 miles in 1.25 hours barring accidents.
XM Radio on Fox News.

MsDrmr
10-13-2004, 07:34 AM
yep its tough, but thats the price you pay for living an hour from the beach, dessert, mountains :D

Tequila-John
10-13-2004, 07:39 AM
I agree. I live in OC but have a condo in Parker. On Sundays when its time to head back to OC I get all pissed off. Looking forward to the day I can stay at my river pad full time..............

chub
10-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Huntington Beach to Downtown LA = 37 miles. 5 am 45 to 50 mins
Downtown LA to Huntington Beach @1430 hour to hour and a half. The afternoons are a crap shoot. I try and get a traffic report before I leave LA.

Mrs. casean
10-13-2004, 07:52 AM
I agree. I live in OC but have a condo in Parker. On Sundays when its time to head back to OC I get all pissed off. Looking forward to the day I can stay at my river pad full time..............
Wouldn't that be the life!!! Anytime you have to get on the 91 anymore, I think your're doomed... have a great weekened at the river and dread leaving since you know what you're gonna get into... thats one great thing of where I am now, It always sucked coming back home to San Clemente from the river, but now in Temecula... no prob at all...

uclahater
10-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Been driving 50K plus mile a year for the last 15 years :220v: , and it will all be over Nov 18th when I move up to St George, UT :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
The bad thing about so cal is there is very few breaks in traffic anymore :cry: :cry: Used to be that between 9 and 3 pretty much every freeway would be clear :cool: Not anymore :cry: :cry:
Does anyone work on Fridays anymore cause the freeways sure dont show it :yuk:

jdogginla
10-13-2004, 07:54 AM
I live in Burbank.......work in Hollywood. I started taking the subway to work. 1.5 mile walk to the subway station -15 min walk, then a 7 min ride on a clean uncrowded subway into hollywood, then a 12 min walk to the office. All in all.........takes about 10 min longer but no traffic headache.

Tequila-John
10-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Wouldn't that be the life!!! Anytime you have to get on the 91 anymore, I think your're doomed... have a great weekened at the river and dread leaving since you know what you're gonna get into... thats one great thing of where I am now, It always sucked coming back home to San Clemente from the river, but now in Temecula... no prob at all...
TRUE!!!

welk2party
10-13-2004, 09:18 AM
The Cencus Bureau estimates that another 15 million people will have moved to SoCal in the next 10 to 15 years. OUCH! Can you say traffic? :cry:

Misogynist
10-13-2004, 09:25 AM
I live in Burbank.......work in Hollywood. I started taking the subway to work. 1.5 mile walk to the subway station -15 min walk, then a 7 min ride on a clean uncrowded subway into hollywood, then a 12 min walk to the office. All in all.........takes about 10 min longer but no traffic headache.
You must live near the Universal city station......... :cool:

ratso
10-13-2004, 09:37 AM
The Cencus Bureau estimates that another 15 million people will have moved to SoCal in the next 10 to 15 years. OUCH! Can you say traffic? :cry:
...but can they get a drivers license?

DryHeatOnly
10-13-2004, 09:39 AM
I commute from Corona, off the 15, to Costa Mesa near the 55/405 interchange. It's about 36 miles one way.
I make it to work in 45-60 minutes. The lane addition on the 91 between the 71 and 91 Express Lanes entrance has worked out well although an accident or a someone getting a ticket can screw things up pretty quick.
Coming home takes about the same time.
There is a catch. You have to pay the tolls. 241 toll going and 91 toll coming home.
That 91 toll can be as high as $6.25! :frown:
Plus there's no guarantee it'll be wide open.
I wouldn't trade it for the normal traffic lanes though ;)
It could be 8pm and I'll still take the toll road because you never know if things are gonna get backed up.
I can hardly wait for the tunnel ;)

Essex502
10-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Most won't speak English...oops...my bad...they don't HAVE TO SPEAK English to get a driver's license as the test is in somethink like 30 languages....of course all the signs are in English....but that doesn't matter much, does it?

jbtrailerjim
10-13-2004, 11:11 AM
That does not stop the illegals from owning and driving a car. The ones that don't have licenses just register the car in whatever family member's name that happens to have a license. :hammerhea

ratso
10-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Frigging Loopholes... :mad:

mbrown2
10-13-2004, 01:31 PM
3 miles to work...with stop lights maybe 12-15 minutes....in the morning and afternoon..
Used to commute from Chino to Simi for about 2 years without carpooling...75 miles each way....at 6:45-7:00, it took 1.25-1.5 hours....Leaving at 5:00pm, I was looking at 2 hours...I would normally work late, leave at 7pm and make it home by 8:15..
That was 5 years ago, I think the 210 is now worse since it has been extended...it actually relieved stress on the 10...all the building north to the mountains in the Rancho and Fontucky areas have definitely made the 210 more traffic congested...I bet if I made the same 75 mile commute today, I could add another 30 min each way...Never again; no matter what it costs, I will live near work...Before 5 years ago, I was never less then 25 miles from the office; all that wasted time on the road is worth living closer unless you work in an undesireable area...

Ziggy
10-13-2004, 01:57 PM
That does not stop the illegals from owning and driving a car. The ones that don't have licenses just register the car in whatever family member's name that happens to have a license. :hammerhea
Don't need a license to buy a car, just some sort of I.D.#---I suppose they assume you will hire a chauffer if you don't. :hammer2:

Krazy K
10-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Unemployed = No commute
School = 1.5 miles 10 min. (traffic lights)

bonesfab
10-13-2004, 03:37 PM
thats why they call the 405fwy the 4 or 5 hour freeway. thats how long it takes to get anywhere. i like my 10 miles in 12 minutes but its getting worse. we all do it for the weather. :D