PDA

View Full Version : High horsepower engines....

me4drvr
04-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Looking into engines for the next boat and not too familiar with the rebuild deal... Sterlings says that their 1500hp engine is at 100hrs, Cheif has their 1400hp with a 70 hr rebuild, havn't looked into Teague of Pfaff yet... my question is, these motor are all in the 70k range, so wtf?? What do they do when they "rebuild/refresh" them?? New rods, cylinders??
Just curious... anyone know the rebuild on the Merc 1075SC??

andy01
04-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Call Gary Teague at GT Performance......... 909-982-8391

77charger
04-13-2006, 03:56 PM
want to go fast got to pay the money to do so.
IMO rebuild probably check(or replace) bearings,re ring.

me4drvr
04-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Not to worried about the money, otherwise I wouldn't want to go big like that. I'm just curious about when they say "refresh"... I know there are guys on here that have big hamsters... I am just used to turn key and go Ilmor..

Havasu Hangin'
04-13-2006, 04:38 PM
High rpms are hard on valve springs with the big solid roller cams.
Change the springs...

LUVNLIFE
04-13-2006, 05:47 PM
If you are going to give them that kind of money then they should be able to answer all your questions that you have. Give them a call. The answer will prob vary from builder to builder :)

Havasu Cig
04-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Out of those mentioned above, Sterling and Teague would be my top choices. I have a friend that has some 1000sc Teagues in his Cig and he is pretty hard on them and they have held up. Sterling's reputation speaks for itself, and the owner is a very nice guy as well. I remember when the 1075's first came out hearing that the first freshening was included in the price, and I think it was at about 60 hours.
Pfaff I have heard good and bad, and don't know much about chief other than the name.
Sterling is east coast, and Teague is west coast, so I would consider that as well as far as service goes.

acatitude
04-13-2006, 11:18 PM
larrys engine and marine in tuscon az. get a price for apples to apples. his will be the best im sure

Huckleberry
04-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Call Gary Teague at GT Performance......... 909-982-8391
Before you even think of calling GT Performance to do motor rebuilds, PM me! It took GT over 18 months to do my two motors and they STILL are not done right! I had to go rescue my boat from them two weeks ago or it would still be sitting there collecting dust. However, if you pull up with a million dollar Skater in tow, they'll drop everything and come work on your boat whether you were next in line or not! :mad: GT used to be one of the premier builders out there, but the last few years they have ha so many personnel problems I would take my boat back there on a bet! The majority of his decent workers are so disgruntled it's scary. They stay because no one else will hire them with their surly attitudes. Gary is truly a nice guy, but there's a whole lot more needed than being a nice guy when it comes to high end motors. :(
If I had to do it all over again I would go to Teague (Bob) or Larry Peto. They are hands down the best on the West Coast, IMHO.

me4drvr
04-14-2006, 12:31 AM
I have the Teague-Ilmor package now and am nothing but pleased with the support from both companies, that's why I'd like to lean towards Teague or go straight to Merc racing.... has anyone seen or ran the Merc?

Lavey29
04-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Looking into engines for the next boat and not too familiar with the rebuild deal... Sterlings says that their 1500hp engine is at 100hrs, Cheif has their 1400hp with a 70 hr rebuild, havn't looked into Teague of Pfaff yet... my question is, these motor are all in the 70k range, so wtf?? What do they do when they "rebuild/refresh" them?? New rods, cylinders??
Just curious... anyone know the rebuild on the Merc 1075SC??
I am running a Keith Eickert built blown 540 in my boat. 720hp, but he has motors built up to 1200hp. I have had no probelms and do not have to worry about any valve adjustments until 150 hours and no real motor work until 400 hours. His big HP motors require a valve adjustment at 40 hours and other work at 150 hours. He is located on the east coast and has a website. He was building the performance motors for Hustler boats.

Boa1277
04-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Larry Peto, will build you a good motor, this is the guy who built the motors in Predator, Gary Smiths 40ft Skater, the only drawback that I can think of is he doesnt build a fuel injected motor and his shop is in Tucson. I have been to his shop and it is immaculate he really does a good job and his motors are always very very strong... and great customer service...he is always willing to talk to you from the 5000 dollar 460 customer all the way to the 50,000 dollar Skater customer.. Good Luck here is the link.
www.larrysengine.com/
I guess I was wrong he does offer fuel injection now, when he built my motor he was not really doing anything with injection..I guarantee you he would not be doing fuel injection if he couldnt do it right..

lucky
04-14-2006, 11:39 AM
springs , guides , seats , rings - take a beating -
This is why in my Home grown the solid roller whent by by :) say hello to a juice cam( i'm getting lazy in my old age ) screw messing with the valves daily

OrangePicker
04-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Its a lot cheaper to have it freshened up that to gernade it........

LUVNLIFE
04-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Yes it is as I experianced this recently. Maintenance is way cheaper also.

DEMOMAN
04-14-2006, 02:36 PM
What does it cost to "freshen up" these high horsepower engines? If the freshen up is at say 150 hrs is the next work due in another 150 hrs?

Tom Brown
04-14-2006, 02:40 PM
At the 1500 hp level, wouldn't it make more sense to go turbine?

OrangePicker
04-14-2006, 02:43 PM
What does it cost to "freshen up" these high horsepower engines? If the freshen up is at say 150 hrs is the next work due in another 150 hrs?
About 2000 or so

me4drvr
04-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Honestly, I know nothing about turbine's whatsoever, but there is plenty of time to explore that arena, I just always thought it would be cool to pull into the airport for some JP-4 :skull:
What's the cost to reliabiilty, rebuild, maintenance, etc. factor??
At least with a standard engine, you can lift the hatch and say, oh.. I blew something, with a turbine, I fear the hatch up my a** and just blowing up!!

Dave C
04-14-2006, 02:50 PM
In high HP applications if you go EFI, make sure it has an 02 sensor. otherwise don't waste your time.
some of the EFI setups we have available to us (boats) without 02 sensors are no better than having a carb. Actually you might as well use the carb and save your money.
I wouldn't take a MEFI 3 system without an 02 sensor if you paid me to use it.... :yuk: :yuk:

Extreme Marine Az
04-14-2006, 05:03 PM
In high HP applications if you go EFI, make sure it has an 02 sensor. otherwise don't waste your time.
some of the EFI setups we have available to us (boats) without 02 sensors are no better than having a carb. Actually you might as well use the carb and save your money.
I wouldn't take a MEFI 3 system without an 02 sensor if you paid me to use it.... :yuk: :yuk:
Just curious, where does the O2 sensor go on a marine application?

SmokinLowriderSS
04-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Honestly, I know nothing about turbine's whatsoever, but there is plenty of time to explore that arena, I just always thought it would be cool to pull into the airport for some JP-4 :skull:
What's the cost to reliabiilty, rebuild, maintenance, etc. factor??
At least with a standard engine, you can lift the hatch and say, oh.. I blew something, with a turbine, I fear the hatch up my a** and just blowing up!!
These days you'd likely run JP-8 (or civ Jet-B) as JP-4's high flamability is not required for modern turbines to make starting easier (except in extreme cold). The mil is even using JP-8 as far N as Anchorage Alaska (was in 2001 anyhow) and N Dakota.
JP-8 is pretty much straight kerosene, very little of the high-volatility/low-flashpoint solvents in JP-4 (benzene, naptha, basically half-gasoline), you'd be hard pressed to blow ANYTHING up. You'd also be hard pressed to find anything resembling quick throttle response and if you think big block fuel economy is bad, you better buy bigger tanks. LOL :cry: :cry: Course, if you filled it with Diesel, you could make a mean smokescreen :crossx: