PDA

View Full Version : flu shots

superdave013
10-18-2004, 01:42 PM
I don't get what the big whoop is all about. I've never had a flu shot in my life and seem to be doing just fine.
Seems to me that if you die from the friggen flu you are week and that's just nature's natural selection.
So please do tell, how many of you are upset because you can't get a flu shot?

MikeF
10-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Hopefully you won't catch that killer flu strain before you get your boat all together! :jawdrop: :hammerhea :D

likeFATHERlikeSON3
never had one either. went to albertsons a week ago and there was a easy 300ft line of people waiting to get one. And that raises another point. When did grocery stores start doing flu shots?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
I was thinking the same thing. I guess the flu affects oldies and kiddies worse? I don't recall ever getting a flu shot as a child though.
Just another thing for people to complain about I guess. :hammerhea And I bet someoone will get really sick or die from the flu and sue the company who caused the shortage. :crossx:

Some Kind Of Monster
10-18-2004, 01:46 PM
I couldn't care less myself. I suppose for older folks the flu can be life threatening and a flu shot can be a good thing.

Sleek-Jet
10-18-2004, 01:47 PM
I had a flu shot.... once.... never been so sick in my life. Took me out for a week, and the place I was working at had no sick leave (I hadn't been there very long). Almost lost my job, almost got knocked back in school (you could only miss so many days per class).
Never had once since.

Rexone
10-18-2004, 01:59 PM
Funny I heard this am on the radio Kerry was saying its Bush's fault that the bazillion batchs of vaccine were bad and he shoulda had more in reserve (yeah and just who's gonna buy those oaktree? ... can you say tax increase)... and that he woulda done a better job, blah blah blah... :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
He sure has all the answers for every problem after they occur. I bet Kerry's eyedoctor says he has 20-20 hindsight. :hammerhea What a dumbass
I've never had one either but I guess old folks and kids should but I too have heard of people getting sicker from them than the flu itself. Guess it just depends on the strain and the person.

Jordy
10-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Get a flu shot, you get the flu. I got one once, and same deal as mentioned above, I've never been sicker in my life. Slept for 26 hours straight. Bad news.
The big problem with the flu shots as I see it is, there are hundreds of different strains of flu virus going around. The CDC or whoever, has to monitor the outbreaks early on, identify which strain of the flu it is, if it's going to be an extreme outbreak and, if so, they have to start banging out the vaccines for it. Pretty much a crap shoot as every strain of the bug responds to a different vaccine based upon the makeup of that particular bug.

superdave013
10-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Hopefully you won't catch that killer flu strain before you get your boat all together! :jawdrop: :hammerhea :D
OK Mr. Skinny man, I think your health is worse then mine.
Yo, I found some REALLY sick O $hit to ride the other day. Heal up so you can hurt yourself again. :D

topless
10-18-2004, 02:12 PM
I had one last year and didn't get sick but then again, I can't remember the last time I got the flu.

RiverDave
10-18-2004, 03:04 PM
I don't get what the big whoop is all about. I've never had a flu shot in my life and seem to be doing just fine.
Seems to me that if you die from the friggen flu you are week and that's just nature's natural selection.
I've never had one either... ?? Some people swear by them though?
RD

gigamurph
10-18-2004, 10:02 PM
The big brouhaha is mainly from the elderly. Like someone said, the flu is frightfully tough on older folks with compromised immunity systems. As for gettin' sick or not from a flu shot depends on whether the vaccine is produced usin' a "live" or "dead" bacterium. The only flu shot I ever got was in the Air Force and I got so sick that I thought I was never gonna feel better! It is a near must for the elderly.

Kindsvater Flat
10-18-2004, 10:11 PM
I started getting the flu shots about 7 years ago when I got sick. One thing led to another and I was home for almost a month with the end result being pneumonia.

Tom Brown
10-18-2004, 11:54 PM
I've never had one either... ?? Some people swear by them though?
RD
Dave, you understand we're not talking about the kind of shot you get in a bar... right? :idea:

CrazyHippy
10-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Dave, you understand we're not talking about the kind of shot you get in a bar... right? :idea:
If they ran outta those... there'd be a riot :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea
BJ(shot free since 93)H

MagicMtnDan
10-19-2004, 03:50 AM
Flu shots = good. Getting the flu = bad.
I like getting a flu shot every winter. Since I've been doing it I haven't gotten the flu. Ain't nuthin' like getting the frickin' flu - that really sucks :hammer2: I'm hoping I can get a flu shot this weekend. :D

switchin'addiction
10-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Never had one either, but I know a number of people every year who rush down to get theirs only to get sick from it.

Essex502
10-19-2004, 12:33 PM
The great flu pandemic of 1918-1919 killed an estimated 675,000 (yes - THOUSAND) Americans and somewhere between 20-40 million worldwide. The influenza viruses mutate every year and haven't really returned to a virulent form for quite some time. DO you remember the SARS problem that struck the world in 2003? about 10% of the people that caught it died. An influenza pandemic will kill 10's of thousand times that number.

jbtrailerjim
10-19-2004, 12:50 PM
I've survived all 33 years of my life without one. So, I guess I'll take my chances with not getting a flu shot this year. :rolleyes: ;)

Thunderbutt
10-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Essex502 had the only reply that made any sence. SUPERMAN DAVE you don't need to get the shot, but if you have parents I bet they get one, and if you have young kids I hope your wife gets them one.

572Daytona
10-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Death from influenza itself is rare. But influenza can aggravate underlying medical conditions, such as heart or lung disease. Invading influenza viruses produce inflammation in the lining of the respiratory tract, damage that increases the risk that secondary infections will develop. Common complications include bronchitis, sinusitis, and bacterial pneumonia, occurring most frequently in the elderly, people on chemotherapy, and people with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) or another disease that compromises the immune system. If properly treated, these complications seldom are fatal.
I've never gotten my kids one and to the best of my knowledge nobody I know has ever gotten one either. Sometimes the risk of complications from the vaccine itself outweighs the benefit. Aren't flu shots a relatively new thing? Is there any evidence to support that they are reducing deaths?

superdave013
10-19-2004, 01:10 PM
The great flu pandemic of 1918-1919 killed an estimated 675,000 (yes - THOUSAND) Americans and somewhere between 20-40 million worldwide. The influenza viruses mutate every year and haven't really returned to a virulent form for quite some time. DO you remember the SARS problem that struck the world in 2003? about 10% of the people that caught it died. An influenza pandemic will kill 10's of thousand times that number.
Like I said, natural selection. We're not all supposed to live ya know. But then again I would have died in the sixth grade when my apendix ruptured so I guess I should get in line.
Thunder, I hear ya. I don't think my old man gets them either but I'm sure you're right that he should. No kids here other then me so the world is safe from my green jean pool.
BTW, what's virulent mean anyway?
super (ain't no doctor) dave013

Mrs CP 19
10-19-2004, 01:19 PM
I have gotten a flu shot for 5 years and never had a reaction or have been sick. The shot is a 'killed' virus and you do not get the flu from the shot. My husband skipped the shot 5 years ago, got the flu and has never missed getting one since.
By the way, this year was imperative for me, as I have cancer and am on Chemo....hence, I am weak...So, should I just skip treatment and die since I am "weak" now? I do not think so!!!! Jill

superdave013
10-19-2004, 01:27 PM
I have gotten a flu shot for 5 years and never had a reaction or have been sick. The shot is a 'killed' virus and you do not get the flu from the shot. My husband skipped the shot 5 years ago, got the flu and has never missed getting one since.
By the way, this year was imperative for me, as I have cancer and am on Chemo....hence, I am weak...So, should I just skip treatment and die since I am "weak" now? I do not think so!!!! Jill
Jill, No you should not and I'm very sorry it came across that way. My best friend passed from cancer and it was tuff.
Joking is joking but your deal is no joke as you and your family know more then anyone. Please stay "strong" as you must be a fighter to be going through what you are.
Once again, I'm sorry about my comments. Please excuse me while I beat my head with this big rock.
super(feeling like shit right now)dave

Mrs CP 19
10-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Don't worry about it, just wanted to stress how important it is to some of us even if we aren't 'old people'.....please quit knocking your head against the wall!!! It just sucks to be me at some moments!Jill :smile:

Essex502
10-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Like I said, natural selection. We're not all supposed to live ya know. But then again I would have died in the sixth grade when my apendix ruptured so I guess I should get in line.
Thunder, I hear ya. I don't think my old man gets them either but I'm sure you're right that he should. No kids here other then me so the world is safe from my green jean pool.
BTW, what's virulent mean anyway?
super (ain't no doctor) dave013
Virulent -
Extremely infectious, malignant, or poisonous. Used of a disease or toxin.
Capable of causing disease by breaking down protective mechanisms of the host. Used of a pathogen.
Bitterly hostile or antagonistic; hateful: virulent criticism. See Synonyms at poisonous.
Intensely irritating, obnoxious, or harsh.
I've gotten flu shots the last 4 years and haven't even a hint of a sniffle or any other symptom. Before that with family gatherings around the holidays I always seemed to get a cold or two and the flu...now that I'm gettin' older I pay more attention to this kind of stuff. Flu can easily turn into pneumonia which can take down the toughest of us.