PDA

View Full Version : Who pulls a heavy load with a lifted truck?

MACH26
10-18-2004, 08:34 PM
I have a Duramax that I'm thinking of putting on 37" tires, Edge Juice, exhaust, and intake. I pull a 34' Weekend Warrior (11K lbs), will I need to worry about the drivetrain or regearing or ???
Thanx Javier

Jordy
10-18-2004, 08:41 PM
A 34'? Unless that's a bumper pull, you're really going to have to rework the trailer to get under it if it's a 5th wheel. Talking about axle flip deal, and then the geometry for the rear ramp (not to mention just getting in and out of the door) become a little more of a challenge.
Even if it's a bumper pull, you end up having to run a huge drop hitch. Just something to think about.
Regearing would be something to consider as you'll likely lose alot of the lower end when you essentially change over to some highway gears with the 37's. I'm running 285's on mine and my speedo is off by around 5 mph at 65. Expect quite a bit bigger jump with the bigger tires.

MACH26
10-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Yes it is a bumper pull, and I'm going to have the speedo recalibrated and I've already added airbags to the rear. Just don't want to have any reliability issues.

andy01
10-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Are you looking at doing the hole banks kit on your Dmax? I was going to look into their complete kit but haven't found anything out yet.
Andy

bigq
10-18-2004, 09:47 PM
The only major problem I see is its a Duramax. :D

ZBODaytona
10-19-2004, 06:25 AM
I am new to the board but do have a lot of experiance with lifted trucks and towing. I would say you would want to change the gears. The durmax does a nice job, but with that much wieght and the new tires even it is going to need help. By going to a 37 from a stock tire you are really changing the overall gear ratio. You also need to be careful in finding a drop hitch that can handle the weight too....

STV_Keith
10-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Assuming your truck has the 3.73 gears in it stock, going to 37" tires from stock 31.5's, it would be equivalent of going from those 3.73's to 3.18's. That's a big jump, and a huge loss of mechanical advantage.
While the truck still may pull it, it will put that much more strain on the trans, u-joints, etc. With those tires, going to a 4.30 gear would get you back into almost the same overall effective ratio (4.38 would be the exact ratio assuming going from exactly 31.5" to 37" tires).
Another thing to consider would be this...
First, I'm not sure what is available gear-wise for those front/rear ends, but even if they are available, you're normally looking at around $1000 per end to swap it out.
Second, if you ever put the tires back to stock, now it's really over geared.
You may want to consider a US Gear Underdrive unit instead. Cost-wise, it would be a little more than doing both ends, but you would be able to go under-drive to get your ratio back when towing, then go into direct for when you are not towing, and have that 3.18 ratio equivalent.
Something to think about.

dtr352
10-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Buy the gears. You will regret it if you don't. The duramax has decent tourque so it will be fine but all the stress will be put on the trany. Even just driving around town you cut the life of the automatic down considerably. The gears are cheap insurance compared to a trany rebuild. Just be carefull choosing the gears. If you go to low you will wind the motor at freeway speeds which will kill the diesel. I just regeared my truck for 35" tires after a season of stock gears. What a difference.

Lightning
10-19-2004, 09:14 AM
You may want to PM or ask Wes, he has the same truck with 37's and the Edge,etc....

ADDICTED
10-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Okay I have a 2002 F-350 on 37" Pro-comp X terrains. Propane, Gibson exhaust w/ down pipe, 150HP BD power chip. I have towed a 39 MTI quite a few times. And towed a 26 toyhauler all the time with no problems with power. My only problem was the tranny. 10,000 miles and now on number 5. Since you have the Allison I dont forsee this being a problem. I would just lift and tow with it. Then see if you need the gears.

STV_Keith
10-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Also be aware that I have heard of Chevy dealers voiding powertrain warranty due to big tires.

andy01
10-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Also be aware that I have heard of Chevy dealers voiding powertrain warranty due to big tires.
And lifts, they say it changes all the geometry of the front end and what not. Heard the same thing about tires to. Believe me if a Allison goes out at 10K miles they will send a factory rep. out to look at the truck.
Andy

green with envy
10-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Buy the gears. You will regret it if you don't. The duramax has decent tourque so it will be fine but all the stress will be put on the trany. Even just driving around town you cut the life of the automatic down considerably. The gears are cheap insurance compared to a trany rebuild. Just be carefull choosing the gears. If you go to low you will wind the motor at freeway speeds which will kill the diesel. I just regeared my truck for 35" tires after a season of stock gears. What a difference.
What ratio did you put in? And how is the long freeway runs? Did it help with the gas mileage?

Jordy
10-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Believe me if a Allison goes out at 10K miles they will send a factory rep. out to look at the truck.
Andy
I don't believe you. Did I mention I work for the Allison dealer? :hammerhea ;)
OK, just for Andy's benefit: Andy you're so f ucking full of shit. I don't believe you because I do work for the Allison dealer and know for a fact that the dealers have a warranty adminstrator on site at every dealer to make the determination, at least at the level I'm at. We don't do alot of 1000's but are in direct contact with the Allison reps and factory on a daily basis. If something comes in with 37's on it and a blown out tranny, chances are, it's not going to be warrantied. Dealers are given a certain allowance of "policy" warranty discretion as well. What this means for a dealer like I work for, is if one comes in from a big customer, like a school district or a transit company, that might not normally be warrantied, we have the ability to do a goodwill kind of warranty on it to keep the customer happy. The rep that covers the southwest region for Allison has better things to do that just fly around and look at every lifted truck with transmission troubles. Besides, the local GM dealers can only R&R the tranny. In order to do the rebuilds and overhauls they would have to have a tranny dyno, and most of them aren't going to spend the $300K+ to get one that meets the Allison specs.
There is that better? :wink:

B-rad502
10-19-2004, 08:42 PM
How about a 4" kit with 305's?? That would be a nice looking set up and be pretty reliable.

Jordy
10-19-2004, 09:09 PM
How about a 4" kit with 305's?? That would be a nice looking set up and be pretty reliable.
I dont' think you'd even have to do a 4" lift to clear 305's. I'm running my 285's with the reindexed torsions and have all kinds of room. 285's run a 75 series side wall, most the 305's and even the 315's I've seen run 70 series. They don't change a whole lot in height, just in width. 4" is big on an HD truck that comes from the factory with a 2" body lift to clear the Allison.

andy01
10-19-2004, 09:14 PM
I don't believe you. Did I mention I work for the Allison dealer? :hammerhea ;)
Neat
Andy

andy01
10-19-2004, 09:16 PM
reindexed torsions and have all kinds of room.
How much lift did that give you and did you buy anything to do that? What size tires were on that crew cab you had that they keep rubbing the front bumper?
Andy

Jordy
10-19-2004, 09:27 PM
How much lift did that give you and did you buy anything to do that? What size tires were on that crew cab you had that they keep rubbing the front bumper?
Andy
Neat
Andy
How's that for a response? I guess I was just being nice by not saying that you're full of shit Andy. I'll make sure I'm clearer for your benefit next time. Oh, and if you want Goose, your price, $40 a bottle. We clear now? :hammer2:

andy01
10-19-2004, 09:47 PM
How's that for a response? I guess I was just being nice by not saying that you're full of shit Andy. I'll make sure I'm clearer for your benefit next time. Oh, and if you want Goose, your price, $40 a bottle. We clear now? :hammer2:
Neat
Andy

Jordy
10-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Neat
Andy
You just never stop being a dick huh? And you wonder why you get all those red chiclets... :rolleyes:
How much lift did that give you and did you buy anything to do that?
Andy
How much lift did you need to bang that bartender at the Roadrunner and did you have to buy anything to do that? :)
Oh, and while we're on the subject, how did your wife and her husband feel about that? You still want to go down the dick road andy?

andy01
10-19-2004, 09:51 PM
You just never stop being a dick huh? And you wonder why you get all those red chiclets... :rolleyes:
Never wondered for one second.
Andy

Jordy
10-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Never wondered for one second.
Andy
Sure you did. You even started a thread crying about it.
Remember this?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60011

andy01
10-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Sure you did. You even started a thread crying about it.
No, I was wondering why I had so many in such a short time when in fact I hadden been a dick that was why I started thread.
Andy

Jordy
10-19-2004, 09:54 PM
No, I was wondering why I had so many in such a short time when in fact I hadden been a dick that was why I started thread.
Andy
Apparently alot of people just really know the real you huh?

andy01
10-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Apparently alot of people just really know the real you huh?
I don't think you really know what you are talking about. (what's new right) I had gotten 5 in a couple of days. I never looked before, until I saw the red box. So I wouldn't say "alot". But how ever you would like to put it.
Andy

Jordy
10-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I don't think you really know what you are talking about. (what's new right)
Andy
Whatever you say Andy. You've got it all figured out... :idea:

andy01
10-19-2004, 10:04 PM
I like how you go back and edit your post as the thread goes on.
Andy

Jordy
10-19-2004, 10:07 PM
I like how you go back and edit your post as the thread goes on.
Andy
I like how you send me pussy little pm's. I edited a couple posts and it was long before you hunted and pecked your neat replies. The message stayed the same.

andy01
10-19-2004, 10:07 PM
How much lift did you need to bang that bartender at the Roadrunner and did you have to buy anything to do that? :)
Oh, and while we're on the subject, how did your wife and her husband feel about that? You still want to go down the dick road andy?
Oh boy Jordy you got me, how many times are you going to try and start a rumor from two years ago? Everytime you try and talk shit to me it's the same ole stuff. Geez ever heard of just letting shit go? Or is the only subject you are going to fall back on? I won't bring up your past, not my style.
Andy

Jordy
10-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Oh boy Jordy you got me, how many times are you going to try and start a rumor from two years ago? Everytime you try and talk shit to me it's the same ole stuff. Geez ever heard of just letting shit go? Or is the only subject you are going to fall back on? I won't bring up your past, not my style.
Andy
Gee, first off, it's not a rumor when I was there, remember? You disappeared for an hour, and so did Crystal the bartender. Then you magically reappeared after being "in the bathroom" for an hour. Funny, I was in the bathroom and you weren't there. Oh, and Tyson was there too. He didn't see you in the bathroom. I wonder how Dave (Crystal's husband) feels about this "rumor?" From what I recall, he didn't see alot of humor in it.
Everytime I try to talk shit to you? I go out of my way to avoid your dumbass, who are you trying to kid? I hadn't said a word to you on here or otherwise until you sent me a PM looking for a hookup on Grey Goose and wondering how I'd been...
Should we talk about breakfast?
As far as my past, I don't have one for you to bring up. I thought you said you wanted to stop in your PM? Want to keep it going?
Who's house are you trying to stay at in Parker these days or did you piss off everyone at the strip and that's why you sold your DCB?

COELIMINATOR
10-20-2004, 10:39 AM
A lot of good info here. I have an 03 Duramax, 8"lift, 37" tires. I pull a 32' Sortsman trailer, 30' Eiminator, 26' Featherlite snowmobile trailer and 24' enclosed trailer. Of these trailers the Sportsman is the heaviest, 13500lbs. I installed air bags in the rear and the truck is equipped with an Edge with Attitude + exhaust. The truck handles everything very well. I also have an 01 PSD Excursion. The truck works much better than the Excursion. Not bagging on the X, it is a fine ride, just not as compliant as the truck. Before the Dmax I had an 01 F-350 PSD SD that was lifted 8" and that truck worked very well also.
We have regeared many vehicles and while it is as STV said an advantage, I believe the new diesels are strong enough to overcome the inertia created by the larger rotating mass. I am not saying they are as efficient as when regeared, just not as critical as it use to be. The vast amount of torque available in the diesels really works.
Sam

BADBLOWN572
10-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Okay I have a 2002 F-350 on 37" Pro-comp X terrains. Propane, Gibson exhaust w/ down pipe, 150HP BD power chip. I have towed a 39 MTI quite a few times. And towed a 26 toyhauler all the time with no problems with power. My only problem was the tranny. 10,000 miles and now on number 5. Since you have the Allison I dont forsee this being a problem. I would just lift and tow with it. Then see if you need the gears.
What did Ford say about all of the trannys you have been going through? Is yours Diesel or gas? I take it that Ford didn't cover them under warranty? I have a new '04 F-250 6.0 diesel with the Edge h.p. kit and I have been thinking of putting it on 37's. I tow freequently and I am wondering about transmission problems. I know that the Ford Diesels don't come with the best trannys and I am wondering if it will hold up.

ChumpChange
10-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Jordy, Check your PMs, What's up?

voodoomedman
10-20-2004, 08:00 PM
I got a 1500 Silverado supension lifted 11" on 35" tires. They regeared it when they put the positraction on. I have the firestone airbags as well. My boats a good 5000 pounds with trailer and I have no problems towing. Get the gears. I have plenty of pulling power. Even with those big tires my truck doesn't really notice the boat behind it. I still rpm in the 2500 range.

FunOnTheWater
10-20-2004, 08:53 PM
No offense to the two who decided to make their own personal attack thread, but get off of it :hammer2:
Guy asked a simple question and you two turn it into something else :hammer2:

jstwkd
10-20-2004, 11:01 PM
I own a 2002 2500 Hd 8.1/allison lifted 6 in with 35s I did have to gear it to pull my 10,000 + weekend worrior.I also have a buddie with a 04 2500hd 6/35 and the edge no gears.Stock was 3:73 And he pulls my 8.1 anytime.Hills or flat and spends half the fuel doing it.Same size trailer.Personally I would gear it.Its only 1800 installed.Just makes the motor work a little les for the power.I wouldnt go over 4:56 gears.I think it would Fu#k with the d-max power band.If I remember correctly we calculated a 20% loss of gearing from stock tires to 35s 4:56 should put you a little better than stock 3:73.We also ran on 305s wich is equvilant to a 33 in tire no problem.I wouldnt even gear for the 33s.I also wouldnt recomend towing with this size tire with out the edge.I think on setting 1 you are 100 ftq over stock.And if you tow on a higher level you will take out the trany.
Hey Jordon How thw hell do I get rid of the toque managment on the allison.Even with the 8.1 I cant get the power to the wheels.....IT SUCKS.
Thanks

CustomCruiser
10-21-2004, 04:39 PM
I run 37s with 4:10 gears. If I had to do it again, I would go with either 4:30 or 4:56 gears.

PHOTOGLOU
10-21-2004, 07:12 PM
I have a 2004 dmax with 37" tires pull 14k on a bumper hitch ( you have to go to a class 5 Titan or something else) the first week the bumper started to droop thus the Titan hitch dosen't mount to the bumper it mounts to 2 diffent places on the frame factory hitch is one place on frame and one on the bumper as far as power with exhaust Maxamizer and hypertech for tire calibration I can pull at over 85 MPH almost anywhere the dmax comes only with 3.73 gears and since 97mph is redline in 5th gear don't know if regearing is going to be good on gas mileage. If yourlocal and want to borrow the truck it's yours is yours 4 wheel drive????

Froggystyle
11-11-2004, 09:20 AM
I have a 2004 dmax with 37" tires pull 14k on a bumper hitch ( you have to go to a class 5 Titan or something else) the first week the bumper started to droop thus the Titan hitch dosen't mount to the bumper it mounts to 2 diffent places on the frame factory hitch is one place on frame and one on the bumper
Nearly exactly my response.
I am selling my 6" RCD lift I have and the 37's I ran for the last year. I liked it a lot, and had no problem towing my Corvette and a whole ton of Bassani gear home from Vegas with it. I towed a 28' enclosed bumper pull, and the only drama I saw was the bent bumper. I was going to switch to a Titan, but with the truck dropped now, I am going to have to do a class 5 hidden hitch that will have to be fabricated by hand... probably by me.
As for drop hitches, I used the adjustable "Rapid Hitch" billet aluminum deal. Spendy, but totally cool. 2 balls, 2 1/4 and 2 5/16 for towing basically anything, and it is pretty bombproof.
As for power, you really don't need to go too much further than the Edge with the Attitude (Talk to STV Keith), the K&N FIPK filter kit (Talk to BowTieRick) and the Bassani exhaust. Lots and lots of power.

Freak
11-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Question, doesn't anyone worry about the lower load range of the bigger tires? I cant find any better than load range C and it seems to me they need to be E.

Froggystyle
11-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Question, doesn't anyone worry about the lower load range of the bigger tires? I cant find any better than load range C and it seems to me they need to be E.
No, I didn't even know it was reduced to be blunt.
I know that I went with a 45 series on the new tires to keep a 2800# per tire rating on the drop. I dont know what the actual rating was on the 37's.

sigepmock
11-12-2004, 10:53 AM
My Procomp X-terrains are load range D, 35/12.5R17's.

Freak
11-12-2004, 01:14 PM
My Procomp X-terrains are load range D, 35/12.5R17's.
I'll look into those. I know 3/4 ton and up trucks come with load range E from the factory but I doubt I can find some big ones.

Froggystyle
11-12-2004, 01:39 PM
My BFG's are 37" x 12.50 Mud terrains and have a rating of "D". I just checked.

MACH26
11-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Toyo Open Country are Load range E

UnionJack
12-03-2004, 10:45 AM
I have a duramax on 40's (toyo) with an edge, and a superchip stacked and my truck can pull my WW fine, my prolem is keepin it at 65, she likes to pull at 90

Jordy
12-03-2004, 10:52 AM
I have a duramax on 40's (toyo) with an edge, and a superchip stacked
What difference do you notice with them stacked? Or are you just using the superchip to take the top end limiter out???

UnionJack
12-03-2004, 12:01 PM
it is crazy, I am running both chips at the same time, I just love smokin people in my truck

Jordy
12-03-2004, 12:03 PM
I had the supershit, I mean superchips deal before I went with the edge/attitude and it was more trouble than it was worth. Got overboost codes all the time, just going down the road empty. Goodbye and good riddence. :wink:

UnionJack
12-03-2004, 12:05 PM
I had my tranny rebuilt, like a number 6, and loaded the super chip and rehooked up edge juice, and no problem at all, I just smoke people

Jordy
12-03-2004, 12:06 PM
I had my tranny rebuilt, like a number 6, and loaded the super chip and rehooked up edge juice, and no problem at all, I just smoke people
I have no problem smoking people but the little street racing punks are my favorite. ;)

UnionJack
12-03-2004, 12:10 PM
always my fav.... better to beat v-8 muscle

sleek
12-04-2004, 06:17 PM
11k even with 37in. tires, no problem. it is all relative. it all depends on how you drive and where you live(mountains, plains). i pull 7.5k with my 01 ram 2500 with a cummins and it has 35 bfg with no problem. i used to pull it with a 1/2 ton suburban with 35's. you just have to take your time.