PDA

View Full Version : Flight overseas.

wsuwrhr
10-18-2004, 10:11 PM
I have an opportunity to go overseas to Abu Dhabi, in U.A.E, United Arab Emirates.
It is close in proximity to Iraq and all that shit over there, but I am assured that travel in that area is not travel like here.
What do you guys think about that? I am thinking about my health and safety.
Should I be worried, or excited?
Brian

Some Kind Of Monster
10-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Why do you have an opportunity to go there? Granted, I don't know much about travel safety in that part of the world.. I have seen most of the U.S. but the only other country I have ever seen is northern Mexico.. I would jump all over the opportunity if I can be assured reasonable safety.

HBjet
10-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Get all of your proper health shots before you go...
HBjet!

TRG
10-18-2004, 10:20 PM
worried/excited?
Im sure that there is an element in both!
Do you have any family that you care more than life about?
All i can think about is sitting in a room with a few arabs and all i see is the reverse side of an orange cover over my head and wondering if my wife and daughter is going to see this? why does it matter what the boards think, this should be something you need to think about yourself, and come up with a solution from within!
just my .02
Damn!...that started to get way too deep! lol
Hope whatever you decide,...you are happy with your decision, and that you are safe in whatever you do!
todd

wsuwrhr
10-18-2004, 10:23 PM
worried/excited?
Im sure that there is an element in both!
Do you have any family that you care more than life about?
All i can think about is sitting in a room with a few arabs and all i see is the reverse side of an orange cover over my head and wondering if my wife and daughter is going to see this? why does it matter what the boards think, this should be something you need to think about yourself, and come up with a solution from within!
just my .02
Damn!...that started to get way too deep! lol
Hope whatever you decide,...you are happy with your decision, and that you are safe in whatever you do!
todd
Actually I was looking more for advise, maybe from someone who has travelled around there. The farthest I have gotten from this continent is Catalina.
Aren't you supposed to ask for advise from your friends?
Brian

XtrmWakeborder
10-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Whats the trip for? I personally wouldn't go, i doubt the people over there like americans too much.

NorCal Gameshow
10-18-2004, 10:28 PM
It is close in proximity to Iraq and all that shit over there, but I am assured that travel in that area is not travel like here.
is that good or bad? :confused: :D

Some Kind Of Monster
10-18-2004, 10:31 PM
I suppose my decision would ultimately be a balance between safety and purpose i.e. having family/friends there, business, tourism..

JustMVG
10-18-2004, 10:31 PM
My wife has been over there a few times in the last year , she traveled to Lebanon, no problems, in fact both of us will be flying over there next year, the U A E shouldn't be any problem for ya Brian, but it is a different lifestyle over there for sure, when you get back you really appreciate what we have going for us here in the Good ole USA. Brian let me know if you need a good travel agent i have a great lady whos in Monrovia, and gets us great flights and fares. Mike VG

wsuwrhr
10-18-2004, 10:33 PM
is that good or bad? :confused: :D
What I was told, is that ROADS and TRAVEL aren't like here. You just don't get on the freeway, and travel around like we can do. Roads like we are used to, just don't exist.
I was looking for reafirmation of what I have been told already.
I am hoping someone from the boards has experience in the middle east.
Brian

JustMVG
10-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Brian Check your pm's you can call now if you'd like. MVG

wsuwrhr
10-18-2004, 10:35 PM
My wife has been over there a few times in the last year , she traveled to Lebanon, no problems, in fact both of us will be flying over there next year, the U A E shouldn't be any problem for ya Brian, but it is a different lifestyle over there for sure, when you get back you really appreciate what we have going for us here in the Good ole USA. Brian let me know if you need a good travel agent i have a great lady whos in Monrovia, and gets us great flights and fares. Mike VG
I appreciate the offer, thanks.
If I decide to go, the fares and accomodations are already taken care of.
Brian

JustMVG
10-18-2004, 10:37 PM
You can get alot of info from the CIA's website with regards to country info and some of the customs.
Also check out the INS site it will have alot of the needed info for you to go.

Some Kind Of Monster
10-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Looks beautiful to me:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/3d024/c2f/
Also found this:
TRANSPORT
SEA: Passenger services serve all coastal ports. ROAD: There are good; roads running along the West Coast. BUS: A limited service links most towns. However most hotels run their own scheduled service to the airport; city centre and beach. TAXI: Most travellers find taxis to be the most convenient and quickest method of transport. Taxis are metered and there is a surcharge for air-conditioned taxis. CAR HIRE: Most international companies have agencies at the airport and hotels. DOCUMENTATION: Renters must produce 2 photographs; passports and either a valid international or national licence. IDP is recommended.
SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Because of the situation of global and regional insecurity at present, travellers should exercise extreme
caution and make only necessary journeys to this country. If you intend to travel depite this advice you should be aware that this is one of the most liberal countries in the Gulf, although it is still very conservative by Western standards. Respect Muslim traditions. It is illegal to smoke or drink in public places during Ramadan. Western entertainment is available in the form of cocktail bars, public houses and cinemas.
Here:
http://www.brookes.ac.uk/worldwise/directory/www00207.html
This site:
http://sg.travel.yahoo.com/guide/middle_east/united_arab_emirates/
Says this:
Moreover, the Emirates we considered safe and secure for travellers, although demonstrations and political gatherings are best avoided.

NorCal Gameshow
10-18-2004, 10:39 PM
they don't want you deliver a little package for them, do they? :rollside:

MagicMtnDan
10-19-2004, 03:54 AM
If you have the opportunity to go to UAE you should do it. It's an incredible place - my buddy went there on business and even did a trip out in the desert four-wheeling. The pics were great and he had a lot of fun.

Kachina26
10-19-2004, 05:12 AM
Nope, not the climate for travel. Sounds like a great opportunity, but I would decline brotha!

Garrddogg
10-19-2004, 06:44 AM
I like my head where it's at! :D

stoker
10-19-2004, 07:28 AM
My buddy just got back from Dubai. It is a popular european vacation spot. From what I was told constuction is really taking off over thier. Some big US construction companies over thier. They are not as strict as most muslim countries. They serve alchohol in the hotels and hotel night clubs. From what I hear everyone is welcome unless you are a jew, they are not liked at all. Also, I am told that there is russian prostitutes everywhere.

Huckleberry
10-19-2004, 07:29 AM
I like my head where it's at! :D
Funny that I was thining the exact same thing. With the political climate where it is, I think I'd wait until things calm down a bunch. I spent a month in Israel, Jordan and Egypt just before the major fighting broke out in 2001. I cannot wait to go back, but my life is worth more than the risk of going to that region right now.

TRG
10-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Actually I was looking more for advise, maybe from someone who has travelled around there. The farthest I have gotten from this continent is Catalina.
Aren't you supposed to ask for advise from your friends?
Brian
brian, i did not mean to offend you in any way shpe or form, but my reply was infact my advice to you in a round about way!
you did not leave any info to give us a better understanding on the reason for travel in those parts.
once again,...hope you are safe in your choice!
;) todd

Mrs CP 19
10-19-2004, 01:06 PM
The following link is where you can get info about travel to foreign countries, including shots, visa, travel warnings, etc. I have not been to the Mideast for many years. Abu Dubai has (had?) wonderful shops for purchasing gold jewelry...roads were non exestint as you mentioned. Not places to go wandering, exploring in my opinion. I personally would not go due to proximity to Iraq...would not say I was American either. We even changed our mind about going to Morrocco this year and will stick to Europe. Good luck. Jill
http://travel.state.gov/

Havasu_Dreamin
10-19-2004, 01:27 PM
If it were me, HELL NO! Maybe I'm dumb, and some would certainly agree with that point, but there is no way I would/will ever go over to that part of the world!