PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Residents Feelings About Performance Boaters

Huckleberry
10-20-2004, 04:17 AM
I was told yesterday that the Havasu News has a message board similar to this baord, and that there was some discussion on there regarding the noise issues at the LHM, so I checked it out and posted a response. Here is what I posted on the board to give you a baseline to start from:
I am one of those accused of being an out of control, drunken Californians that converge on Havasu on weekends. Yes, I do come to Havasu on average twice a month to boat on your beautiful lake, eat at your restaurants, sleep at your hotels, shop in your grocery stores, and buy gas from your service stations. But I, as well as the vast majority of those who own performance boats, are not the ones who are creating problems for your city. Most of us do not drink at all when boating or driving our vehicles on your roads. Those you hear about or see doing crazy things are what the boaters call the "MTV Crowd." They are the ones who come there for spring break and holiday weekends for the sole purpose of partying all weekend long. They have no respect for your lake, your city, or your residents. This is not the case with the majority of the performance boating crowd that comes to Havasu.
The issue about the Lake Havasu Marina discrimminating against performance boaters should ring loud and clear in the ears of your residents! They are on land owned by all of you! Yet, they are not following the terms of the lease they signed with the State of Arizona(Meaning all of you, again). Some have said to just take our boats and launch elsewhere. That would be real nice, but some of us have boats that are too large to launch at Windsor or Site Six. LHM is the only site that has a decent ramp for us to use. The average boater will spend between one and two thousand dollars a weekend in your city's businesses. If the actions of the LHM do not stop, the performance boating community will go elsewhere. Rest assured of this. With us we will take the revenue that had also made Havasu a boomtown in the last several years. Why does it appear that the residents of Havasu want to bite the hands that feed them every day?
I welcome your comments.
If you want to post something on the Havasu News message board, here is a link. Your message does not post right away. It posts the following day, presumably after they screen it for inappropriate content.
Havasu News Message Board (http://www.havasunews.com/discussion_forum)
So I get to work this morning and I have this email from a local Havasu resident waiting for me:
There is no doubt that the average boater (particularly those who spend the money for a performance boat) take better care of the area than the "MTV" crowd. There is no doubt that the money you have spent has allowed LHC to grow considerably; however, there are other issues that you are not taking into account, and it is classic "Californian" to not see these other issues.
First, most small towns (and I've lived in numerous ones in greatly diverse areas of the country) do not recognize "money" and "growth" as the most important things in life. Most of us live in small towns to get away from that mentality. "Quality of life" is what's most important, and you, and your "performance" boat friends (as well as the MTV crowd) seriously derogate the quality of life in LHC. The channel has EXTREME pollution problems on busy weekends, the lake is contaminated with the gas and oil from your motors, the safety on the roads are in serious condition due to so many people (mostly inexperienced) towing large boats on narrow highways and streets. And this doesn't even start to get into the moral aspects of the EXTREME, conspicuous consumption that Californians are NOTORIOUS for with the purchase of such an EXTRORDINARILY WASTEFUL thing as a "performance" boat. The fact that you have a boat that probably consumes the same amount of fuel as an Abrams tank, makes me feel sick for the young people in Iraq fighting just so you can drive your 8 mpg SUV and idle all the gas away sitting in the channel showing off your bleach-blond wife with ten grand of plastic surgery, just so you can think you have a big one.
Do us a favor and find some place else, like Iraq, or better yet, stay in California. I am sure your money and ostentatiousness will be appreciated there.
If you don't know what ostentatiousness means, here it is:
ostentatiousness
n : lack of elegance as a consequence of being pompous and puffed up with vanity [syn: ostentation, pomposity, pompousness, pretentiousness, splashiness, inflation]
Joe Gaber
Lake Havasu Resident
What do you guys think? I know what I think! If anyone would like to send ol Joe Gaber an email, here is his email address: joegaber@fin-it.com I know I'll be send an email to ol' Joe myself today!

Kachina26
10-20-2004, 04:46 AM
Wow, they start right off with insults over there too. I am at a loss for words to say the least.

NashvilleBound
10-20-2004, 04:53 AM
amazing.....

JetBoatRich
10-20-2004, 04:59 AM
This will get interesting to say the least :hammerhea

SandbarScot
10-20-2004, 05:02 AM
I doubt that any reply, no matter how well worded, will change that writer's perception of the performance boating crowd.
That perception is his reality. :frown:
We can only hope that isn't the view of the majority of LHC residents and business owners.

NashvilleBound
10-20-2004, 05:07 AM
This could easily turn into a bad deal for BOTH sides.

mike37
10-20-2004, 05:17 AM
n : lack of elegance as a consequence of being pompous and puffed up with vanity [syn: ostentation, pomposity, pompousness, pretentiousness, splashiness, inflation]
this line describes him better than us
Id bet he wasent born in havasu
we has asses like that here on the central cost
we call them the ive got mine you stay away crowd
they move in ind think they are locals
they try to stop others for moving in and doing just what they did
he is no a local

shadow
10-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Sounds like Joe Gaber moved to the wrong place for his "quality of life" he is looking for.I,m sure all the boat manufactures were here before joe,as well as performance boaters and all the services that go along with the boating community.
Joe says small towns(I,ve lived in numerous ones in greatly diverse areas of the country)
Sounds to me like Joe is either a snow bird or a transplant that came here way after boating and needs to find himself another small town to fit his needs in life not come here and try to change Havasu to fit him.

ahhell
10-20-2004, 05:29 AM
sounds like old Joe is pissed, how the hell could someone move to a lakeside town and not expect there to be boats ?
maybe he has an x-wifey that has 10g's worth of bolt ons and HIS big boat :2purples: , and he cant stand it and is an anti boating pompous ass

jbtrailerjim
10-20-2004, 05:30 AM
I think his opinion of the majority of us is definitely wrong and as much as I hope this is not how the majority of the residents feel. But I have a feeling this is the opinion a lot of the older retired community has about us. I think it's going to get worse before it get's better. It's up to us to police ourselves and prove to the people who feel this way about us we are not all a bunch of people with loud boats who come to there town to party, get drunk, and trash there town.

Huckleberry
10-20-2004, 05:34 AM
Here is a copy of my email to ol' Joe:
Joe,
In case you haven’t noticed, the “Smalltown America” mentality is a dying breed. Even the smallest towns in the Midwest are “suffering” from progress and growth tarnishing their lifestyles. Whether you like it or not, Lake Havasu City has become a popular tourist attraction. This is due greatly in part to your city’s founder’s actions and forethought. If they did not want to make it a boating Mecca, why did they bring London Bridge to Havasu? Why did they build the launching facilities, the resorts…? Because they wanted to bring economic growth to your small town. Do not blame me or the boating community for the woes of your city. I believe you paint the boating community with a very large, broad brush based upon the actions of a very small percentage of its members.
Let me address the issues of concern you expressed:
Pollution in the channel. I agree the channel is not a great place on busy weekends. But, again, you live in a town that has a major tourist attraction. Here in California we have many, many tourist attractions. How does one deal with the problems created by them. Easy!!! Just stay away from them. You know where the problems are, so don’t go there! Enjoy the lake during the week when to tourist are working.
Roadway Safety. I have been going to Havasu for over 20 years. I have seen very, very few collisions involving vehicles towing boats. If nothing else, the average boater drives much more carefully when towing as they have a significant investment behind them.
Extreme, Conspicuous Consumption by Californians. You my friend are an ignorant ass! Because you want to live your life hiding under a rock in some remote hole in the wall doesn’t mean the rest of the world has to live by Joe Gaber’s ideology! Who died and put Joe Gaber in charge of telling the world what they can have and what philosophy of life they should follow? Wake up partner and look outside your window. There’s a whole world out there that has different beliefs and values than you do. I do not expect you to live your life they way I do, nor should you expect the world to bow down to Joe Gaber! Check your own definitions of obstentatiousness and then take a good long look in the mirror!
My vehicle, boat and wife. Again your ignorance comes shining through. You know NOTHING about me, my family, or my physical anatomy. I’m not even going to dignify your ignorant reply with a response other than to say, yes I own a SUV.
I will live my life as I see appropriate, and I suggest you do the same. But do not go around thinking that you can tell me how to live my life and spend my free time. If you still think you need to live in a remote, rocky small town so you can hide in your little cocoon, then perhaps YOU should move to Baghdad. Baghdad, Arizona that is.
Jim Bau
Californian

Mtg Pro
10-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Huckleberry, I thought your message to the Havasu Herald was well written and to the point. Clearly Joe has his own opinions. I just looked at the Mohave County Assessors office, and NO Joe Gaber is listed as owning property in Mohave County. Maybe Joe is smart enough to own it under some corporate name. I wonder if he is as concerned about the roads when the 20,000 lb motorhomes. that get 4 MPG, come into town in the next several weeks.
Oh, I just went back in to wake the wife, does anyone with a performance boat have an extra $ 10,000, she may need a little work.

Huckleberry
10-20-2004, 06:13 AM
Mtg Pro,
Excellent point about the snowbirds! I fired off a follow-up email to cranky Joe.

H20Advantage
10-20-2004, 06:28 AM
The problem Joe Gaber also seems to miss is that our troops are in Iraq to fight for and protect the freedoms we have. Old Joe Gaber wants to be a dictator in small piece of the world and dictate who can and cannot use his piece of America that we all pay to support. Maybe we need to send some troops his way to show him what fighting for freedom is all about.
Also funny thing is that most of the residents in Lake Havasu have migrated from California. Should they all leave also because of where they are from, sounds like he is is being a bit of a bigot to me.
I own property in Havasu as a matter of fact. I took a house which should probably have been torn down and gutted it and remodeled it (doubling the property value). I not only improved the property with not only my own physical labor but my hard earned dollars which came from a job in California. I have the same right as anyone else to use my boat, within the law, as anyone else who comes to or migrated there.

Desert Rat
10-20-2004, 06:31 AM
If the guy wants small town tell him Oatman is right up the road. Oh wait they have somewhat of tourist ataraction there to! :hammerhea And them damn loud guns shooting blanks all the time! Unfortunetly I'm sure there is more than one of these types with plenty of time on thier hands to spew this venom at the local council meetings and such!

HavasuDreamin'
10-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Huckleberry..........please post Joe's response when you get it. This is interesting. Just goes to show you how they think. :devil:

Essex502
10-20-2004, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I read the mental fart that "Joe Graber" wrote to the Havasu News Herald. Fortunately, from the many, many people I've met while acquiring our properties in LHC I received an entirely different message...You really do like us. It's the old "stuck in stupid mode" folks like Joe (unlisted phone as well) that just don't comprehend the real picture...i.e. Old man McCulloch built a resort town. That's why he paid $2 million+ to buy and move the London Bridge to a desert. That's why he spearheaded dredging the channel. It was his vision that established a mecca for boaters. "Lost" souls such as Joe want to run away from reality but Lake Havasu City isn't the place. Maybe Idaho would be more suited to this mentality.
Joe has a right to his opinion but I think he's misguided about the city.

NorCalCat
10-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Interesting perspective. Maybe Joe should remove the stick from his ass.
Check it out:
http://www.fin-it.com/pages/573695/index.htm
and click on contact us, then on his resume at the bottom.
oops, I don't thinkn he tought we were that crafty, ha. Lets all send him an e-mail! oh, and maybe attach a pic of that bleach-blond wife with ten grand of plastic surgery. I bet he likes looking at her.
I was told yesterday that the Havasu News has a message board similar to this baord, and that there was some discussion on there regarding the noise issues at the LHM, so I checked it out and posted a response. Here is what I posted on the board to give you a baseline to start from:
I am one of those accused of being an out of control, drunken Californians that converge on Havasu on weekends. Yes, I do come to Havasu on average twice a month to boat on your beautiful lake, eat at your restaurants, sleep at your hotels, shop in your grocery stores, and buy gas from your service stations. But I, as well as the vast majority of those who own performance boats, are not the ones who are creating problems for your city. Most of us do not drink at all when boating or driving our vehicles on your roads. Those you hear about or see doing crazy things are what the boaters call the "MTV Crowd." They are the ones who come there for spring break and holiday weekends for the sole purpose of partying all weekend long. They have no respect for your lake, your city, or your residents. This is not the case with the majority of the performance boating crowd that comes to Havasu.
The issue about the Lake Havasu Marina discrimminating against performance boaters should ring loud and clear in the ears of your residents! They are on land owned by all of you! Yet, they are not following the terms of the lease they signed with the State of Arizona(Meaning all of you, again). Some have said to just take our boats and launch elsewhere. That would be real nice, but some of us have boats that are too large to launch at Windsor or Site Six. LHM is the only site that has a decent ramp for us to use. The average boater will spend between one and two thousand dollars a weekend in your city's businesses. If the actions of the LHM do not stop, the performance boating community will go elsewhere. Rest assured of this. With us we will take the revenue that had also made Havasu a boomtown in the last several years. Why does it appear that the residents of Havasu want to bite the hands that feed them every day?
I welcome your comments.
If you want to post something on the Havasu News message board, here is a link. Your message does not post right away. It posts the following day, presumably after they screen it for inappropriate content.
Havasu News Message Board (http://www.havasunews.com/discussion_forum)
So I get to work this morning and I have this email from a local Havasu resident waiting for me:
There is no doubt that the average boater (particularly those who spend the money for a performance boat) take better care of the area than the "MTV" crowd. There is no doubt that the money you have spent has allowed LHC to grow considerably; however, there are other issues that you are not taking into account, and it is classic "Californian" to not see these other issues.
First, most small towns (and I've lived in numerous ones in greatly diverse areas of the country) do not recognize "money" and "growth" as the most important things in life. Most of us live in small towns to get away from that mentality. "Quality of life" is what's most important, and you, and your "performance" boat friends (as well as the MTV crowd) seriously derogate the quality of life in LHC. The channel has EXTREME pollution problems on busy weekends, the lake is contaminated with the gas and oil from your motors, the safety on the roads are in serious condition due to so many people (mostly inexperienced) towing large boats on narrow highways and streets. And this doesn't even start to get into the moral aspects of the EXTREME, conspicuous consumption that Californians are NOTORIOUS for with the purchase of such an EXTRORDINARILY WASTEFUL thing as a "performance" boat. The fact that you have a boat that probably consumes the same amount of fuel as an Abrams tank, makes me feel sick for the young people in Iraq fighting just so you can drive your 8 mpg SUV and idle all the gas away sitting in the channel showing off your bleach-blond wife with ten grand of plastic surgery, just so you can think you have a big one.
Do us a favor and find some place else, like Iraq, or better yet, stay in California. I am sure your money and ostentatiousness will be appreciated there.
If you don't know what ostentatiousness means, here it is:
ostentatiousness
Joe Gaber
Lake Havasu Resident
What do you guys think? I know what I think! If anyone would like to send ol Joe Gaber an email, here is his email address: joegaber@fin-it.com I know I'll be send an email to ol' Joe myself today!

Essex502
10-20-2004, 06:59 AM
Is that really his resume?

Mardonzi
10-20-2004, 06:59 AM
It's unfortunate that there are people like Joe Gaber in this world that are so closed minded to growth or so self serving as to want to shut out others from experiencing areas that they have come to call home. I myself am a transplant to a tourist town (Page/ Lake Powell) and am amazed daily by the posts that I read on here in regards to the attitudes experienced by the performance boating crowd that frequents Lake Havasu. I for one would welcome with open arms the influx of tourist dollars that your (soon to be our) group brings and I know that I am not alone in my thinking.
I see what our local Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Board does to bring in such "disreputable groups" as motorcycle rallies and such (they even post a welcome banner over Main Street for them) and know that they would be pushing the local concessionaire to do what was necessary to accomodate them. Fortunately, this is not needed due to the fact that the local concessionaire knows where it's bread is buttered,, i.e. boaters, and is constantly spending money to improve launch facilities as well as support infrastructure.
In closing, if LHC continues along those lines,, feel free and welcome to spend your time on one of the most majestic lakes you will ever experience... Lake Powell!!

NorCalCat
10-20-2004, 07:01 AM
Is that really his resume?
I took it directly from his website. Homo posts it on his site.

91nordic29
10-20-2004, 07:02 AM
well, my email to ol' joe wasnt as eloquent as huckleberry's but:
joe-
do you realize what you moved next to? i think you should have moved to a farm pond community. i have been coming to havasu since i was 2 in 1963 and you "older crotchety" types are not about to run the rest of us out. by the way, i am an arizonan and i pay more than my share of taxes.
you refer to our boats as some kind of "indulgence". i am sure that you must have something that you indulge in. just to be able to retire to lake havasu city leads me to believe that you have.

boxscore
10-20-2004, 07:08 AM
wow...Joe's quite the smack-talker. Unfortunately, he's making the common mistake of lumping the MTV crowd with responsible performance boaters. Here's my email to Joe:
Hey Joe, hop on my boat for a day. I'll even pack good ol fashioned Bud for ya. I'll show you I can tow my boat responsibly, not trash the channel, respect the lake, and generally get you drunk off your ass while you stare at my wife's boobs. The rest of Havasu residents won't even know were around because I'm not the "MTV" crowd. BTW... I've even got mufflers.

NashvilleBound
10-20-2004, 07:09 AM
Lets go people... Generate some mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let Joe know how you feel!
joegaber@fin-it.com

Havasu Luvr
10-20-2004, 07:11 AM
Here's my letter to Joe
Hey Joe
First I would like to introduce myself, I am a fellow performance (recreational) boater. Just in case you don't know the meaning of "Recreational" to enjoy life, hobby, pass time, etc. Maybe you have something you like to do other then working for a living/retired and making friends and influencing people by Insulting them with your perceptions and vast knowledge/education. You seem to forget that the majority of citizens in your city are TRANSPLANTS from other states. Very few are native to your city and the ones that are a certain generation that I am sure you do not approve of either. Let dissect your response to my fellow performance boater. I love your classification of "Classic Californian", it falls into the same category as my classification of a "Classic Havasuvian". I believe you that you have live in numerous small towns as you are living proof of the continuing practice of incest in this country, remember "Incest is only relative". I can not believe that a intelligent person could move to a town such as LHC and could NOT recognize the potential for "Money & Growth". The city's founder recognized the potential for money and growth when it was just part of the Sonora Desert. MMMMM !!! go figure ! I do believe I understand the "Quality of Life" you are looking/desire for and I know of a perfect place where you could expect NO Growth or Monies.... Ashfork, AZ. You have express a concern of "Pollution in the channel on busy weekends" again this is due to the MTV Crowds coming to party in YOUR town. If I had the same thought process as you then I would believe ALL small town peeps have sex with their family. YOU live in a small box with NO windows to look out with and observe life as a whole. You complain of "Extreme' pollution in the channel and contaminated lakes with fuel/oils but yet you live in a city that the Founding Forefather contaminated the ground water with Chromium 6 and your city permitted residential housing to be built immediately around this dump site, but the way you think maybe it was "Californians" that did this. You also are concern about your city roads, complaining that the "Large Boats" are the cause of safety issues. I believe these concerns are due to the local residence believing they own the roads in LHC and do not need to follow AZ traffic laws. I have seen this many times over the past few years. I love your statement about "Californians are NOTORIOUS for with the purchase of such an EXTRAORDINARILY WASTEFUL thing as a "performance" boat......LMAO. "God Bless America" for you right of Free Speech. I think after reading your response that Havasuvians who think like you are a "Waste of questionable donor organs" and are wasting my oxygen by expressing their point of view just as WE who have BIG SUV's are wasting YOUR fuel. Here is something that might surprise you. I am a Desert Storm Vet US ARMY 55 Delta EOD "To The Bone" so never feel sick that our freedom is taken for granted. Are Americans suppose to do nothing while our Men & Women are serving in our Armed Forces in any part of this world? I makes me sick to read that YOU use it as an excuse to try and demoralized us performance boaters. If you're a Vet you should have more respect and understanding for the Men & Women serving to protect OUR freedom. I invite you to come and spend a afternoon with a performance boater and see if you still have the same perception. The majority of us are family oriented and are laid back. Come see for yourself, I have a cold diet soda waiting for you or a fresh brewed cup of coffee. Oh, your right, my gf is blonde with $6K boobs but she will not hold it against you (grins).
David
Classic Californian
LHC Property Owner

boxscore
10-20-2004, 07:14 AM
I hope that's the right "Joe Gaber"...LOL
Otherwise some other Joe (say..in Tuscaloosa) is gonna get a lot of strange shlt in his in-box.

spectratoad
10-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Here was my e-mail to Mr. Joe
I will make it short and sweet. I don’t get to Havasu often but unfortunately those people with blinders on about boater are all over. I enjoy the lake with my family and don’t participate in the activities of the “MTV” crowd. Maybe in my younger days but even then I partied with respect to those around me. I do drive an SUV and camping in my 8MPG motorhome. My boat does very well on gas and does not leak any oil whatsoever even though it is a 1977 jet boat. Most of us take pride in our recreational toys.
I don’t over indulge myself except to enjoy my family time and the relaxation. If that is your definintion of over indulgence then I am a major culprit.
Do you have the same feeling about snowbirds that fill your town every winter? Most boaters are as respectful as those snowbirds that you don’t seem to mention when it comes the “blood for oil” talking point that you hit, however veiled it was. You obviously don’t know what is happening in the world but choose to be one of the “Sheeple” that just listen to the media and choose to let them think for you rather than do it on your own. Just get out once in awhile and learn what is really going on in your own backyard before you tackle the world though.
Hope you can find something to smile about because it seems as though you need to get out more and enjoy the area.
Have an awesome day.

ClownRoyal
10-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Here's my letter to Joe
Hey Joe
First I would like to introduce myself, I am a fellow performance (recreational) boater. Just in case you don't know the meaning of "Recreational" to enjoy life, hobby, pass time, etc. Maybe you have something you like to do other then working for a living/retired and making friends and influencing people by Insulting them with your perceptions and vast knowledge/education. You seem to forget that the majority of citizens in your city are TRANSPLANTS from other states. Very few are native to your city and the ones that are a certain generation that I am sure you do not approve of either. Let dissect your response to my fellow performance boater. I love your classification of "Classic Californian", it falls into the same category as my classification of a "Classic Havasuvian". I believe you that you have live in numerous small towns as you are living proof of the continuing practice of incest in this country, remember "Incest is only relative". I can not believe that a intelligent person could move to a town such as LHC and could NOT recognize the potential for "Money & Growth". The city's founder recognized the potential for money and growth when it was just part of the Sonora Desert. MMMMM !!! go figure ! I do believe I understand the "Quality of Life" you are looking/desire for and I know of a perfect place where you could expect NO Growth or Monies.... Ashfork, AZ. You have express a concern of "Pollution in the channel on busy weekends" again this is due to the MTV Crowds coming to party in YOUR town. If I had the same thought process as you then I would believe ALL small town peeps have sex with their family. YOU live in a small box with NO windows to look out with and observe life as a whole. You complain of "Extreme' pollution in the channel and contaminated lakes with fuel/oils but yet you live in a city that the Founding Forefather contaminated the ground water with Chromium 6 and your city permitted residential housing to be built immediately around this dump site, but the way you think maybe it was "Californians" that did this. You also are concern about your city roads, complaining that the "Large Boats" are the cause of safety issues. I believe these concerns are due to the local residence believing they own the roads in LHC and do not need to follow AZ traffic laws. I have seen this many times over the past few years. I love your statement about "Californians are NOTORIOUS for with the purchase of such an EXTRAORDINARILY WASTEFUL thing as a "performance" boat......LMAO. "God Bless America" for you right of Free Speech. I think after reading your response that Havasuvians who think like you are a "Waste of questionable donor organs" and are wasting my oxygen by expressing their point of view just as WE who have BIG SUV's are wasting YOUR fuel. Here is something that might surprise you. I am a Desert Storm Vet US ARMY 55 Delta EOD "To The Bone" so never feel sick that our freedom is taken for granted. Are Americans suppose to do nothing while our Men & Women are serving in our Armed Forces in any part of this world? I makes me sick to read that YOU use it as an excuse to try and demoralized us performance boaters. If you're a Vet you should have more respect and understanding for the Men & Women serving to protect OUR freedom. I invite you to come and spend a afternoon with a performance boater and see if you still have the same perception. The majority of us are family oriented and are laid back. Come see for yourself, I have a cold diet soda waiting for you or a fresh brewed cup of coffee. Oh, your right, my gf is blonde with $6K boobs but she will not hold it against you (grins).
David
Classic Californian
LHC Property Owner
People like Joe Goober..Booger..whatever have all the answers. You can email him the most reasonable and unopinionated letters but he WILL find something to have the last word. Just watch - he will have the last word. You can't reason with people like him.

THOR
10-20-2004, 07:51 AM
LHC is elegant? I never knew that. LMAO

TRIMM MANN
10-20-2004, 07:58 AM
Here's my letter to Joe
Hey Joe
David
Classic Californian
LHC Property Owner
Bravo :D Excellently written.

Tom Brown
10-20-2004, 07:58 AM
Wow. I wonder what their bench racers forum is like. :idea:

Slib77
10-20-2004, 08:28 AM
I might be mistaken,but, I think that there are some performance boat builders in Havasu.(sarcasm)
What's funny is that they bend over backwards for Californians.
Example.
My buddy has a house there. His 78 Blazer that he keeps there has AZ plates. We need to get one of his 35's fixed at the tire place(name witheld to protect the innocent). We are waiting for about an hour, when some dude walks in with a flat on his trailer. CA plates on his truck and trailer. They pulled that guy in right away and had him out within 10 minutes. We spent about an hour and a half there just to get one tire fixed.
Point being. They know who keeps them going.

That Guy
10-20-2004, 08:30 AM
I am choosing to believe that Joe is in the minority...childish comments are exactly what they are....childish comments.

FastTimmy
10-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Here is my e-mail that I sent...
Joe,
I am not one with words so bare with me. First Thanks for taking the time to reply to the post on the Havasu message board and no it was not my post. I would just like to express my point of view on the Havasu problem as you have.
I am a 2nd generation Havasu visitor and property owner that is now 30 years old and have been going to Havasu since I was in diapers. Havasu was founded and created by a Hot Boater and has grown for 30years on the Hot Boat dollars. I own many properties in Havasu and have many friends that own business there. They all fear as I do the loss of the Hot Boat crowd. Most of the people that I know that live in Havasu do so because it is nice in the winter and profitable in the summer. That is because the the summer months generate so much revenue that the city can get by on the crappy tips, the lack of fuel usage, the empty beds in the hotels and the over all financial recession that hits during the winter even though the city has more people in it for the winter. Us summer crew can own homes to use for the summer and rent them in the winter to the snow bird who will pay extremely well to stay in a nice house for the winter months. But, If the roles are reversed and a snow bird owns a house to use during the winter months and then try to rent it out during the summer with out the Hot Boat crowd there is no one to rent to.
I have family that live in Havasu wile I live here in California so I have the advantage of both sides. It does however escape me that the golfers and retirees wont say it for what it is. Havasu is a great place for the retirees and elderly to move into and try to take over. It is like moving into horse property because you can buy a big lot for a good price. Then once you are there you begin to complain about the horses and proceed to embark on a gerny to ban those horses.
Havasu is a Hot Boat town. Form the boat manufacturers that employ many citizens, to the construction workers, A/C repair man, Plumbers, Painters, Mechanics, Small business owners, Boat repair shops, Home depot, Lowes and so much more are all there because it is a Hot Boat community! With out these people that work for a low wage in Arizona so they can live in a Hot Boat community the cost of living will go through the roof as the quality of live degrades from loss of tax revenue and cash flow if the Hot Boater stop spending.
How can you for one second believe that it is not about the money. It is not about the money to you because you take for granted what you have in Havasu and how you got it. WITH OUR MONEY ! ! !
Sincerely
Tim Serviss
AKA: FastTimmy

faster
10-20-2004, 08:38 AM
I wonder how long he's been living in Havasu? I know I've been going there for 37 years doing the same thing, boating. My families owned property there since 1974. I'm pretty sure I was there first so he has to go!!

HighRoller
10-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Wow. Once again those who stand up for a little bit of decency and common sense get treated like Nazis and called "closed minded". Are all of you who flamed this guy trying to deny that what he said is true? Look at what Havasu has become! It's a cesspool (almost literally in the channel) on weekends because people won't and don't control themselves. People get killed every weekend in stupid accidents, drown, die of poisoning caused by overcrowding, act like it's a porn convention or think 1000hp with dry pipes is cool. These are all examples of behavior that can be avoided easily. But I guess for me to think that means I'm a fuddy-duddy.
I'm all about having a good time on the lake/river, but just because you spent money in a town doesn't entitle you to do whatever you damn well please. What about having respect for the RESIDENTS of the town you are VISITING. Being able to enjoy the recreation Havasu provides is a privilege, not your god given right and at any moment if the residents and city council get pissed or have a change of heart you can kiss it goodbye. You act like the only reason Havasu exists is because you bought gas there. Wrong. The town was there long before boating there was popular. And as someone who went there before it was popular, I can say that it was a hell of a lot better back then. Do you think because your dollars built a new gas station or two and a fancy hotel that you built the town? Wake up!
Those who act responsibly should be applauded and those who don't or won't shouldn't be welcome anymore. It may be your vacation spot, but don't forget it's also somebody's neighborhood!

FastTimmy
10-20-2004, 08:52 AM
I as a Hot Boater treat it as my home and respect it as such. Every time I have a issue on the water it is with a 4 times a year party go-er. They can't drive, don't pay attention and they Launch at the Havasu Marina. Proceed to idle over to the channel ans sit there all day! But some how The I still the bad guy...I don't think so. I just don't want to wait a year or so for every one else to figure it out..That is why I and we are fighting for our homes and lake!
Timmy

Havasu Luvr
10-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Wow. Once again those who stand up for a little bit of decency and common sense get treated like Nazis and called "closed minded". Are all of you who flamed this guy trying to deny that what he said is true? Look at what Havasu has become! It's a cesspool (almost literally in the channel) on weekends because people won't and don't control themselves. People get killed every weekend in stupid accidents, drown, die of poisoning caused by overcrowding, act like it's a porn convention or think 1000hp with dry pipes is cool. These are all examples of behavior that can be avoided easily. But I guess for me to think that means I'm a fuddy-duddy.
I'm all about having a good time on the lake/river, but just because you spent money in a town doesn't entitle you to do whatever you damn well please. What about having respect for the RESIDENTS of the town you are VISITING. Being able to enjoy the recreation Havasu provides is a privilege, not your god given right and at any moment if the residents and city council get pissed or have a change of heart you can kiss it goodbye. You act like the only reason Havasu exists is because you bought gas there. Wrong. The town was there long before boating there was popular. And as someone who went there before it was popular, I can say that it was a hell of a lot better back then. Do you think because your dollars built a new gas station or two and a fancy hotel that you built the town? Wake up!
Those who act responsibly should be applauded and those who don't or won't shouldn't be welcome anymore. It may be your vacation spot, but don't forget it's also somebody's neighborhood!
I agree with HR. and lets not forget that there also should be a new law that age 55 or older must NOT drive a motor vehicle. I am tired of hearing about some who got CONFUSED while behind the wheel and stepped on the gas peddle thinking it was the brake and running over people. Everyone over the age of 55 must untilize Public Transportation. Damm old farts ...Hear Hear. HR for President....**** ME ! ! ! you peeps :hammer2:
Remember: Driving is a priviledge in this country and NOT a GOD GIVEN RIGHT ! !

RiverDave
10-20-2004, 08:56 AM
I welcome your comments.
After reading the whole thread...
My 2 comments.
HuckleBerry, why so quick to blame "drinking" as Havasu's main problem? Long story short... You went from originally speaking about a noise issue at the Marina to saying that not everyone is irresponsible like the MTV Crowd.. Being drunk all the time and going out there for the sole purpose of partying..
I guess I'm just not seeing the connection is all? Incidentally, as far as the "MTV Crowd." I never considered those that go out and party at the sandbars, party spots part of the MTV Crowd.. When I think MTV Crowd, I'm thinking of the guys that are little wannabe (or in some cases actually are) gang bangers, trouble makers, etc.. etc.. They don't go out to party it up, or enjoy the lake, or other "normal" recreational activities.. They go out to get in fights, shoot at police, and overall do their part to try and shit all over everyones goodtimes. For some reason that is their "MO" or hobby or something.. Guys walking around the sandbar looking tough and picking fights.. Never could understand it, but I'm glad we don't have it in Parker.. atleast not yet.
As far as Joe Gaber is concerned.. Seems well written, but just becuase one is fluent in the language doesn't mean they have a shred of common sense to them.. If you think about what he wrote, he capped on Boating and the lifestyle, all the while living in a city that was founded by a guy who's main "MO" was to make it the power boating Mecca.. If the founder of the city would've laughed him out of town.. you gotta wonder if his neighbors would too.
I wouldn't waste a minute of my time trying to argue with this guy for 2 reasons..
Reason #1. Argue with an idiot, and they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Reason #2. (more importantly) The efforts your wasting trying to change one moron's opinions about boating, would be better spent writing e-mails to the state and city about the Marina.
So instead of writing an e-mail to Joe Gaber, why not write a couple to the city council, state of AZ, and other authorities to try and wage an effective campaign against tyranism of the launch ramp facillities.. ;)
RD

91nordic29
10-20-2004, 08:58 AM
you dont have a clue as to what you are talking about...as usual :hammerhea

Havasu_Dreamin
10-20-2004, 09:03 AM
So instead of writing an e-mail to Joe Gaber, why not write a couple to the city council, state of AZ, and other authorities to try and wage an effective campaign against tyranism of the launch ramp facillities.. ;)
RD
We're all doing that.
HR, I think you miss the point. I for one treat LHC like it is my home, as it is since I own a home there. I'm sure plenty of others on here do the same. The issue that I have with Mr. Garber is him painting all boaters with a broad brush. Are there problems in Havasu? Yes, of course there are, but we need to work as a group to solve them. I sent Mr. Graber an e-mail explaining my position and was very respectful in the message.

Kachina26
10-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Well said RD. But, if you are gonna deluge this poor fella with e-mails, keep away from personal attacks and rudeness as it just proves his point. I gotta agree with RD though, it's a waste of time. You aren't gonna change the opinions of this guy and it doesn't matter if you do. He's a nobody as far as our fight to use the marina.

roostwear
10-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Joe is what many Arizonans are. You may not like, or even understand this, but I've gotten a better understanding of why they feel as they do after talking with my neighbors in BHC. Arizonans do not care about money. Most of them do not have the motivation to amass wealth. They disdain California money coming into Arizona for a couple reasons.
One- Californians tend to "show" their money (boats, cars, etc). In a state where many live in what some Californians would refer to as squalor, this is what they know, and have known, and see no reason to change.
Two- California money in Arizona drives up property values. This is good for us, but look at it from their perspective. People that are not money-motivated do NOT want to pay more for something than they did 1,5,10 years ago (who does?). Their personal income doesn't increase much, so when we come in, buy property and create a rising market, they are priced out of their own area.
In conversing with Arizonans, you will get nowhere trying impress upon them how much better our presence has made their lives. Bringing up how much money we spend there only makes it worse because they are well aware that it is our money that has changed their lives.
There are exceptions, and I painted a very broad picture, but understand the people you're trying to influence. They got along well for decades without a Home Depot.
PS- it is probably more accurate to refer to the people in less populated areas as being this way, rather than Arizonans as a whole. My experience is with residents is western Arizona. When I used to stay in Sedona years ago, I don't remember locals disliking Californians, but that was a different time.....

Havasu Luvr
10-20-2004, 09:17 AM
As a resident I am embarrassed by Joe's comments.
I have been going to Lake Havasu since the mid-sixties. Back then Lake Havasu City was nothing more than a trailer park. Thompson Bay was like a mine field with all the trees in the water. You took your life in your hands trying to get to Site Six launch ramp after dark to load your boat back onto your trailer. Now that I have established the I am not that young... I have seen Lake Havasu grow into a prospering community. New police facilities, new firestations, new post office, new airport, new city hall, ect. heck just about every public facility here is less than five years old. It's no secret that most of this was built with the sales tax revenue and bed tax revenue that pours into the city coffers from the visitors.
I am a Native Californian and a performance boater and I welcome the performance boaters to Lake Havasu City. To tell you the truth THE PERFORMANCE BOATERS ARE A LOT NICER TO DEAL WITH THAN THE OLD GRUMPY SNOW BIRDS WHO BITCH ABOUT EVERYTHING. SNOW BIRDS ARE SO RUDE AND THEY THINK THEY OWN THE CITY FOR THE FIVE MOTHS THAT THEY ARE IN LHC.
Robert McCulloch created LHC as a boating community, he too needed a place to test and perfect his small gas engines (chain saw and outboard motors... does anybody remember Scott/McCulloch outboads... my dad had one on his boat). Robert McCulloch had vision, he flew people to LHC in hopes to get them to buy land at $8,000.00 per parcel for vacation and second homes. He wanted this town to grow... and it has. I think he would be proud to see all the improvements... i.e. widening of highway 95 for safer driving, huge increase in property values, new corporate investments like Home Depot, Denny's, IHOP, Red Robin, West Marine, Wal-Mart and the list goes on. Federal funding for projects is also based on population and political clout. Lake Havasu City would not have the money to spend on special political lobbyist to aquire funding for such things as our new sewer system. The City Counsel just voted to spend another $120,000.00 on this lobbyist to continue his efforts because consturction costs are more than the $438 million they originally estimated.
LHC is a beautiful place... It's sad that a few people like Joe and the Lake Havasu Marina ARE SUCH ASSES.
Beautiful :cool: Thanks Mark

THOR
10-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Reason #1. Argue with an idiot, and they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
RD
I havent heard that one before. Classic!

boxscore
10-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Ol' Joe resonded to my email:
My wife is 40 yrs old 5'4 125lbs, Portuguese and French, with beautiful long brown hair and 34DDD breasts. Please don't insult me with Bud. I'll take a single Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. My wife takes Jack and coke.
Sounds like Joe's just trying to stir it up.... Joe... you don't belong in Havasu if you're drinking microbrews. I think you made that up. You're a straight Bud drinker. Don't be lyin boy. Oh, and Hey JOE!
***boat Forums is the perfect place to post a couple pics of wifey. But I'm sure you're lyin' about your old hag as well.

Powerquestboy
10-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Joe is what many Arizonans are. You may not like, or even understand this, but I've gotten a better understanding of why they feel as they do after talking with my neighbors in BHC. Arizonans do not care about money. Most of them do not have the motivation to amass wealth. They disdain California money coming into Arizona for a couple reasons.
One- Californians tend to "show" their money (boats, cars, etc). In a state where many live in what some Californians would refer to as squalor, this is what they know, and have known, and see no reason to change.
Two- California money in Arizona drives up property values. This is good for us, but look at it from their perspective. People that are not money-motivated do NOT want to pay more for something than they did 1,5,10 years ago (who does?). Their personal income doesn't increase much, so when we come in, buy property and create a rising market, they are priced out of their own area.
In conversing with Arizonans, you will get nowhere trying impress upon them how much better our presence has made their lives. Bringing up how much money we spend there only makes it worse because they are well aware that it is our money that has changed their lives.
Thats the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard! Do you honestly think that California is the only state that brings money to Lake Havasu City? And that your money has changed our lives? Believe me the people you meet in BHC and Lake Havasu do not represent the majority of Arizonians! And how is it possible that driving up property values in AZ is better for californians? I personally welcome anyone to move to arizona and "price me out of my area" Yeah, We arizonians hate paying 80K for a house that someone from california pays us 350K five years later. I walk away with enough equity to pay cash for a new house at the end of the street, while you pay strokes on a 350K loan. I cant tell you how many people from other parts of the country and arizona are buying land, homes, business's in LHC. Dont even begin to think that arizona would be nothing without california money. And believe me most people from arizona do have the "motivation to amass wealth" Maybe there arent too many go getter Entrapanuers in BULL HEAD CITY, but believe me come to scottsdale if you would like to understand how we arizona folk amass our wealth. You can also explain to me why you guys are buying up property as fast as you can in our "squaler" as you say. If you had any idea how many people from the east coast are moving to arizona it would amaze you and we "arizonaians" love it! Look at the people in LHC, business is crazy, land is appreciating, yeah I'm sure the average resident hates that.

bunny 166
10-20-2004, 10:03 AM
OMG! I'm lovin' this thread...keep posting 'ol Joe's responses! :rollside:

roostwear
10-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Thats the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard! Do you honestly think that California is the only state that brings money to Lake Havasu City?
The whole thread is about California influence. It has no mention of any other state. You also conveniently left off the end of my post, just so you could rant. What an idiot. Thank you for proving my points, though. Soon you won't be able to buy anything either. How about your kids? Raise them in a right-to-work state that's median income will make them renters forever. Now aren't you glad so many people are bringing money in from outside AZ?

spectratoad
10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
My wife is 40 yrs old 5'4 125lbs, Portuguese and French, with beautiful long brown hair and 34DDD breasts. Please don't insult me with Bud. I'll take a single Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. My wife takes Jack and coke.
Sounds like Joe's just trying to stir it up.... Joe... you don't belong in Havasu if you're drinking microbrews. I think you made that up. You're a straight Bud drinker. Don't be lyin boy. Oh, and Hey JOE!
***boat Forums is the perfect place to post a couple pics of wifey. But I'm sure you're lyin' about your old hag as well.
I think this is appropriate for reference to RD's post..........

switchin'addiction
10-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Wow :supp: ! Joe has no idea what is coming his way! I have one thing to say to Joe
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/152484/fullsize/Avatar.GIF
Switch

Powerquestboy
10-20-2004, 10:21 AM
The whole thread is about California influence. It has no mention of any other state. You also conveniently left off the end of my post, just so you could rant. What an idiot. Thank you for proving my points, though. Soon you won't be able to buy anything either. How about your kids? Raise them in a right-to-work state that's median income will make them renters forever. Now aren't you glad so many people are bringing money in from outside AZ?
You know I feel bad for you because you make a bad name for california people. I love california, My entire family is from california, most of them still live there, I was there last weekend, and the majority dont try to belittle people from BHC or LHC! Thats why these people hate you, its not the money or your flashy car its your attitude that your better than them. Who are you to tell me I "wont be able to buy anything either" Who are you to refer to BHC as Squaller and then buy a house there? My dad is a very wealthy man and he always told me that people who like to tell you how much money they have usually dont have any money at all.
Just for the record I think everything this Joe guy said is rediculous but your BS about people from arizona is rediculous. Talk like that only makes the people of these towns hate you more!

NOTALENT
10-20-2004, 10:23 AM
wow..thats some BS!!..Have you not seen the locals of havasu and the youth?? No offense to anyone because there are alot of great people there....but...damn...alot of them are cracked out losers...My buddy just moved there so I have been there almost every weekend this summer building my motor..and partying with his "New Friends"..he is a straight edge guy..and all the people we go to party with out there are doing lines after lines...smoking bowls..drivine to cherry hill blowing up cars...fighting each other...raping girls...and so many other things...For people to blame it on the californians..that come and boat...is BS..You just dont realize that most of us have more morals and manners and are alot more civilized...than most of your own town...teens out there dont have crap to do so your little 11teen year olds are out there slutting them selfs out..things u dont even want to hear about! which does take place everywhere...but man I havent seen it this bad.. and the fact that
And the fact..that u say its a privelage..is bs ... it is something that is produced by mother nature for us all to use..not to limit..and discriminate against others!!!..thats some more Government BS!!! so because there locals they have the right to pull this...NO..We own 3 homes..there..where is our say so?? Damn..it seems..like they think this is the only vacation spot...Obviously CA..has many..and its not like our beaches or moutains..etc..dont get thrashed..by vistitors(Sarcasm)...they get trashed as well....I know there alot of thing left unsaid...and I am willing to debate or argue about them :)

roostwear
10-20-2004, 10:32 AM
I never talked down anyone. There is a different lifestyle along the river. I actually enjoy my neighbors and everyone I've met there (well, all but the postman that's a transplant from Chicago and tries to act local).
I didn't refer to anything as squalor, I said many would. I know some that would, and they won't go to my place in BHC because it's not like my place in SoCal.
You enjoy pointing fingers and twisting words, so there's no reason to talk to you. You have a big chip on your shoulder and either can't read and comprehend, or have an agenda. Either way, you're young, ignorant, and a disgrace to Arizonans, Joe.

91nordic29
10-20-2004, 10:38 AM
I never talked down anyone. There is a different lifestyle along the river. I actually enjoy my neighbors and everyone I've met there (well, all but the postman that's a transplant from Chicago and tries to act local).
I didn't refer to anything as squalor, I said many would. I know some that would, and they won't go to my place in BHC because it's not like my place in SoCal.
You enjoy pointing fingers and twisting words, so there's no reason to talk to you. You have a big chip on your shoulder and either can't read and comprehend, or have an agenda. Either way, you're young, ignorant, and a disgrace to Arizonans, Joe.
ROOST--
your original comments were rather derrogatory towards arizonans.

That Guy
10-20-2004, 10:43 AM
My wife is 40 yrs old 5'4 125lbs, Portuguese and French, with beautiful long brown hair and 34DDD breasts.
I hate the French but love 34DDD breasts.....another problem..jeez :hammerhea :eek: :hammerhea

Ziggy
10-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Guess he failed to mention those triple D's are probably down around her waistline :D

roostwear
10-20-2004, 11:00 AM
ROOST--
your original comments were rather derrogatory towards arizonans.
Is this what you say is derrogatory?
"Arizonans do not care about money. Most of them do not have the motivation to amass wealth."
As I said, this is a generalization. I never said there was anything wrong with not caring about money. Nor did I say there was anything wrong with not being money motivated or not having the motivation to amass wealth. There are people perfectly content with being what they are, and not striving for more. i work with people like that here, and that's how they want to live life. I don't understand it, but it's their right and doesn't make them a bad person. It doesn't exclude them from me enjoying their company. They're just different.
I guess for the sensitive, I should clarify that my experience with Arizonans is mainly along the river in "small towns" (that's the context of "Joe's" post, right?).
With the amount of bashing Californians get from Arizonans, at least I make an effort to try to understand. Right or wrong it's my experience.

SSTahoe
10-20-2004, 11:09 AM
It seems that everybody that E-mailed joe got a E-mail back from him. I got one telling me that his wife is a hot 40 year old, and he is 50 and has a 10 year old kid. :smile:

Essex502
10-20-2004, 11:12 AM
After reading the whole thread...
RD
Dave...have you written your letter yet? Care to donate to the fund? We'd luv to have you! Bring all your amigos as well.

91nordic29
10-20-2004, 11:13 AM
It seems that everybody that E-mailed joe got a E-mail back from him. I got one telling me that his wife is a hot 40 year old, and he is 50 and has a 10 year old kid. :smile:
i havent received a response.

91nordic29
10-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Is this what you say is derrogatory?
"Arizonans do not care about money. Most of them do not have the motivation to amass wealth."
As I said, this is a generalization. I never said there was anything wrong with not caring about money. Nor did I say there was anything wrong with not being money motivated or not having the motivation to amass wealth. There are people perfectly content with being what they are, and not striving for more. i work with people like that here, and that's how they want to live life. I don't understand it, but it's their right and doesn't make them a bad person. It doesn't exclude them from me enjoying their company. They're just different.
I guess for the sensitive, I should clarify that my experience with Arizonans is mainly along the river in "small towns" (that's the context of "Joe's" post, right?).
With the amount of bashing Californians get from Arizonans, at least I make an effort to try to understand. Right or wrong it's my experience.
need some MORE rope?

Wally_Gator
10-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Roost,
I have to side with you... I did not see anything derogatory in your original post. You merely typified a general mindset you see in BHC. I have seen it there as well. I have also seen it at the beaches in North County San Diego. There are alot of people that settled down there in the late 70's and have stayed there. Their houses aer typical for the time period and they enjoy the lifestyle. While they sit on a goldmine as far as realestate goes, they desire not to cash in or flaunt it. You may call these persons, people not caught up in the rat race.
Those that have taken offense and or see your post differently may have come from a different background and thus your communication sounded derogatory to them, OR they just have a chip on their shoulder.
Later...
Wally_Gator (Walter)

Essex502
10-20-2004, 11:16 AM
There are exceptions, and I painted a very broad picture, but understand the people you're trying to influence. They got along well for decades without a Home Depot.
PS- it is probably more accurate to refer to the people in less populated areas as being this way, rather than Arizonans as a whole. My experience is with residents is western Arizona. When I used to stay in Sedona years ago, I don't remember locals disliking Californians, but that was a different time.....
Roostwear...you make a good point ... as we (Californians) buy more property, the property values go up...Doesn't the state of Arizona increase property taxes based on value unlike California where Prop 13 capped the increases? Maybe they're all grumpy 'cause their fixed incomes can't keep up with the increased taxes? Wal-Mart doesn't pay too much, ya' know!

boxscore
10-20-2004, 11:22 AM
i havent received a response.
LOL ... we've traded 3 emails. He's an allright guy, misguided, but allright.
My guess is that his DDD wife is a fantasy contrived during his lonely evenings.

Huckleberry
10-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Holy Cow folks!!! Talk about covring a guys back! You folks are awesome!!! Here's my email to ol Joe:
Joe,
In case you haven’t noticed, the “Smalltown America” mentality is a dying breed. Even the smallest towns in the Midwest are “suffering” from progress and growth tarnishing their lifestyles. Whether you like it or not, Lake Havasu City has become a popular tourist attraction. This is due greatly in part to your city’s founder’s actions and forethought. If they did not want to make it a boating Mecca, why did they bring London Bridge to Havasu? Why did they build the launching facilities, the resorts…? Because they wanted to bring economic growth to your small town. Do not blame me or the boating community for the woes of your city. I believe you paint the boating community with a very large, broad brush based upon the actions of a very small percentage of its members.
Let me address the issues of concern you expressed:
Pollution in the channel. I agree the channel is not a great place on busy weekends. But, again, you live in a town that has a major tourist attraction. Here in California we have many, many tourist attractions. How does one deal with the problems created by them. Easy!!! Just stay away from them. You know where the problems are, so don’t go there! Enjoy the lake during the week when to tourist are working.
Roadway Safety. I have been going to Havasu for over 20 years. I have seen very, very few collisions involving vehicles towing boats. If nothing else, the average boater drives much more carefully when towing as they have a significant investment behind them.
Extreme, Conspicuous Consumption by Californians. You my friend are an ignorant ass! Because you want to live your life hiding under a rock in some remote hole in the wall doesn’t mean the rest of the world has to live by Joe Gaber’s ideology! Who died and put Joe Gaber in charge of telling the world what they can have and what philosophy of life they should follow? Wake up partner and look outside your window. There’s a whole world out there that has different beliefs and values than you do. I do not expect you to live your life they way I do, nor should you expect the world to bow down to Joe Gaber! Check your own definitions of obstentatiousness and then take a good long look in the mirror!
My vehicle, boat and wife. Again your ignorance comes shining through. You know NOTHING about me, my family, or my physical anatomy. I’m not even going to dignify your ignorant reply with a response other than to say, yes I own a SUV.
I will live my life as I see appropriate, and I suggest you do the same. But do go around thinking that you can tell me how to live my life and spend my free time. If you still think you need to live in a remote, rocky small town so you can hide in your little cocoon, then perhaps you should move to Baghdad. Baghdad, Arizona that is.
Jim Bau
Californian

boxscore
10-20-2004, 11:23 AM
I hate the French but love 34DDD breasts.....another problem..jeez :hammerhea :eek: :hammerhea
LMAO...so true

boxscore
10-20-2004, 11:26 AM
I think Joe has agreed to join me on the water. Ya think he might snap and slash my boat seats? If anyone sees us on the water, and we're riding a little deep... that's cuz he has brought that heavy micro-brew shlt on board.

mbrown2
10-20-2004, 11:32 AM
I think Joe has agreed to join me on the water. Ya think he might snap and slash my boat seats? If anyone sees us on the water, and we're riding a little deep... that's cuz he has brought that heavy micro-brew shlt on board.
LMAO...that is some funny chit

LakeRacer
10-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Roostwear...you make a good point ... as we (Californians) buy more property, the property values go up...Doesn't the state of Arizona increase property taxes based on value unlike California where Prop 13 capped the increases? Maybe they're all grumpy 'cause their fixed incomes can't keep up with the increased taxes? Wal-Mart doesn't pay too much, ya' know!
Hey Now! You're hittin' close to home!!! :supp: :supp: :D :D

Huckleberry
10-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Boxscore may have an opportunity to convert ol Joe!!!

RiverDave
10-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Take a picture of them Triple D's.... :)
RD

robt
10-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Oh, your right, my gf is blonde with $6K boobs but she will not hold it against you (grins).
David
Classic Californian
LHC Property Owner
and if thats her pic under your name its 6K well spent

Ziggy
10-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Here's what I had to say to him.......
Dear Joe,
I am voicing my opinion to further help you understand who we Performance Boaters from California are and how we treat your home city.
I am a home owner in Havasu and interact with all my neighbors frequently. I come with my family of four and occasionally my pets. My neighbors are grateful
that I am there, I help them with their projects(one is a single woman) and we keep contact and watch out for one another, as good neighbors would do. Our
children play together and sometimes we even take them boating with us(again for which they are grateful). They have expressed great thanks to me for displacing
the "rotten apple" as it was put, that used to live in my home prior to my purchase....apparently a typical situation in Havasu.
I do not engage in public lewd acts while boating, I do not drink while we boat, I drive respectfully to all on the lake and the streets. I have rarely been boating on
the major holidays fearing for my families safety, you know how careless those 2 or 3 times a year boaters can be with all the drinking and wild action they
provide. We will however boat the week following these holidays and bring back usually two extra bags of trash left behind by those 2 timers.
It surely is obvious to you that we do spend alot of money in the city willingly, revenue the city gladly accepts........we also are the type that understands the need
for store proprieters to make a living, I don't think you will see us at the 4pm earlybird 2'fer special pinching pennies like the winter visitors. I don't mean to make it
sound like a dollars and cents thing but it is what has driven the economy in Havasu.
I hope you realize the city founders inspiration was to built the city as a boating mecca, you would have to agree with the several "performace boat builders" that
lie within the boundries of Havasu that cater to people from around the country and not just California.
In short, the majority of my fellow Performance Boaters are not the culprit you have demonized us to be. It was uncalled for you to catagorize us all as "typical
Califorians" in the light you portrayed, we are the respectful type, keep our homes clean and neat without storing 4 or 5 nonfunctional cars in the front yard. We
are there to relax and enjoy what the region has to offer just as you wish to do.
Respectfully,
Ziggy
p.s. Keep your "Typical Californians" comments to yourself or I'll send in our Governor who also visits your humble cityperiodiclly to kick some Joe ass, or better
yet, my wife will be by to let you have a peice of her mind too......have some manners dude.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-20-2004, 12:06 PM
p.s. Keep your "Typical Californians" comments to yourself or I'll send in our Governor who also visits your humble cityperiodiclly to kick some Joe ass, or better
yet, my wife will be by to let you have a peice of her mind too......have some manners dude.
Ziggy, Classic! Simply Classic! :cool:

Huckleberry
10-20-2004, 12:15 PM
HuckleBerry, why so quick to blame "drinking" as Havasu's main problem? Long story short... You went from originally speaking about a noise issue at the Marina to saying that not everyone is irresponsible like the MTV Crowd.. Being drunk all the time and going out there for the sole purpose of partying...
I guess I'm just not seeing the connection is all? Incidentally, as far as the "MTV Crowd." I never considered those that go out and party at the sandbars, party spots part of the MTV Crowd.. When I think MTV Crowd, I'm thinking of the guys that are little wannabe (or in some cases actually are) gang bangers, trouble makers, etc.. etc.. They don't go out to party it up, or enjoy the lake, or other "normal" recreational activities.. They go out to get in fights, shoot at police, and overall do their part to try and shit all over everyones goodtimes. For some reason that is their "MO" or hobby or something.. Guys walking around the sandbar looking tough and picking fights..
Dave,
The correlation is that those residents who complain about the boaters causing problems in Havasu think all boaters are the MTV-type. You, I, and the rest of the sane world know this is crapola. But they think it is us who is causing all their problems in their city, and they could care less if we ever come back. They think that if we're upset about the marina's actions, don't come back to our city, and we'll have one less drunken MTV idiot here to deal with. They see all boaters as drunken MTV idiots as you describe. I have abosultely no problem if someone wants to go to the sandbar, hang out and party. You'll see me there quite often. The average sandbar visitor is not the MTV morons. They're responsible boaters out having a good time.
Did I ever go out and drink while boating. Yep, you bet I did. Having seen all the recent carnage from BUI accident has changed my thoughts on it though and won't ever do it again. Can one go out and have a few brews and still be a responsible boater. Yes, it is just my choice not to drink while boating anymore. My passengers are welcome to drink responsibly. In reality, I think we are pretty close on our drinking and boating philosophy.

Ion
10-20-2004, 12:17 PM
... as we (Californians) buy more property, the property values go up...Doesn't the state of Arizona increase property taxes based on value...?
I'm NOT from CA yet I own a west golfcourse home here and two lots on another golfcourse near here. My investments have contributed toward the increase in property value as well, as I'm sure numerous non-californians have. My god...when it comes down to folks having to pull out their d-i-c-k-s to make a point, it starts looking alot like a weenie roast!

Essex502
10-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Well said to all who wrote back to this Joe guy...In my experience it is NOT the general sentiment on the city.

That Guy
10-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Here's what I had to say to him.......
Dear Joe,
I am voicing my opinion to further help you understand who we Performance Boaters from California are and how we treat your home city.
I am a home owner in Havasu and interact with all my neighbors frequently. I come with my family of four and occasionally my pets. My neighbors are grateful
that I am there, I help them with their projects(one is a single woman) and we keep contact and watch out for one another, as good neighbors would do. Our
children play together and sometimes we even take them boating with us(again for which they are grateful). They have expressed great thanks to me for displacing
the "rotten apple" as it was put, that used to live in my home prior to my purchase....apparently a typical situation in Havasu.
I do not engage in public lewd acts while boating, I do not drink while we boat, I drive respectfully to all on the lake and the streets. I have rarely been boating on
the major holidays fearing for my families safety, you know how careless those 2 or 3 times a year boaters can be with all the drinking and wild action they
provide. We will however boat the week following these holidays and bring back usually two extra bags of trash left behind by those 2 timers.
It surely is obvious to you that we do spend alot of money in the city willingly, revenue the city gladly accepts........we also are the type that understands the need
for store proprieters to make a living, I don't think you will see us at the 4pm earlybird 2'fer special pinching pennies like the winter visitors. I don't mean to make it
sound like a dollars and cents thing but it is what has driven the economy in Havasu.
I hope you realize the city founders inspiration was to built the city as a boating mecca, you would have to agree with the several "performace boat builders" that
lie within the boundries of Havasu that cater to people from around the country and not just California.
In short, the majority of my fellow Performance Boaters are not the culprit you have demonized us to be. It was uncalled for you to catagorize us all as "typical
Califorians" in the light you portrayed, we are the respectful type, keep our homes clean and neat without storing 4 or 5 nonfunctional cars in the front yard. We
are there to relax and enjoy what the region has to offer just as you wish to do.
Respectfully,
Ziggy
SWEEEEET...well said. The Gubernator comment was classic. :p :) :p

91nordic29
10-20-2004, 12:41 PM
I said he just doesnt get it.
then i rec'd the (ooooh) red chicklet with the following comment:
"Actually he/she does...it is boaters like you and 80% of ***boat members that don't get it. Whats going on at the Marina echos what ol Joe is talking about."
what in the world?

Magic34
10-20-2004, 12:46 PM
Roost,
I'm in AZ, actually Mesa, AZ to be exact. Unlike some of the other AZ peeps, I agree with you on one level.... There is a much lower standard in this state. There are more POS cars on the road here, at times I do think it looks like West Virginia.
HOWEVER, a big however, no matter where you go across the US, you will find the same generalization you stated. I've owned 4 companies since I was 16 years old, 25 y/o now, and sold 2 of them. I have a drive for more and better things that I want to achieve. I have made great money in my businesses and real estate investments that I have made(some thanks to the people of CA that helped drive up the cost). I understand I am not in your generalization, but the people I surround myself with don't fit in the generalization either.
People don't care anymore. Employess only care about what you are doing for them this second. They forget what you did for them yesterday and could care less what may be coming tomorrow. There are plenty of rundown houses in Cali with people who won't lift a finger to clean their house or yard. Those same types of people live in AZ, NM, NV, TX, and everywhere else.
I'll stop jumping around and here are some points that I see in this state:
Californians do bring money into the state. These are not the tourist, but the people who have moved here full time, also not retired people. They have brought up property values in my neighborhood (thank you) and they are willing to pay a lot more for my house than I would have. For what they are willing to pay, I will build my next house on my own with the $$ I make of the Cali peeps. I like to make money and my family's life better or put it into my boat (this is a boating site :cool: ). But don't forget, there are a lot of East coast people that have moved here as well. California is mostly talked about for 2 reasons, they are next door and there are a lot of people in that state.
There is trash everywhere. A lot of it depends on who you surround yourself with. If you live in a low income neighborhood, you will find the hard blue collar worker or lazy person. You can normally tell by their front yards.
The only problem for me with the Cali people moving to AZ is they are bringing their liberals with them. We used to be a Republican state and there is a shift to the left that is starting to occur. CA laws and regulations are not needed in AZ. Havasu is starting to see that shft as well. Not from 99% of the people on the these boards, but those others who wish it wasn't as loud on a lake or a rare tree that grows 30' underwater may be damaged.
One more thing about your generalization. I would also agree more with you back in 1990. Maricopa County just reached the same population for the county alone that the entire state had in 1990. A lot of people are coming here now. Agree with your generalization 15 years ago, but today, like everything else, times have changed.
I enjoy the comments and this board, keep them coming.

NOTALENT
10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
"Actually he/she does...it is boaters like you and 80% of ***boat members that don't get it. Whats going on at the Marina echos what ol Joe is talking about."
what in the world?
I think he is the one who hit me too...

Mrs CP 19
10-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Did anyone else notice that Joe went to college in Oregon??? Herein may lie the problem...was he originally from Oregon? We all know what thier general attitude toward Californians is, and it may just be that Joe has tranferred it to AZ. Whatever, he is still a jerk. Jill

Havasu_Dreamin
10-20-2004, 01:00 PM
what in the world?
The people sending those types of comments are confusing the issues, IMHO. They confuse what they perceive as "all boaters from CA as being drunken idiots" with the marina trying to enforce a more restrictive rule than a law enforcement officer can even issue a citation for. Those two issues are completely unrelated. All we want to do is launch our legal boats and have a good time on the lake.

91nordic29
10-20-2004, 01:02 PM
The people sending those types of comments are confusing the issues, IMHO. They confuse what they perceive as "all boaters from CA as being drunken idiots" with the marina trying to enforce a more restrictive rule than a law enforcement officer can even issue a citation for. Those two issues are completely unrelated. All we want to do is launch our legal boats and have a good time on the lake.
exactly :hammerhea

roostwear
10-20-2004, 01:12 PM
I can appreciate all the different points of view and input, but I was sniped! Not like others.... I got positive feedback from someone identifying themselves as the "sniper", and got a red chicklet from someone with no comment or signature. :cry: ;) Oh, and Sniper.... at the risk of getting more red chicklets, NO, I'm not a union man. If I don't work my ass off, I don't make money.

waterwitch
10-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Just an FYI.... MTV hasn't been here
in over 10 years. :D
Havasu needs to get over it!
And yes, I have lived here for 26 years.

Magic34
10-20-2004, 01:50 PM
What is the story with that? I know it overexposed the city, but why haven't they come back? Were they told not to? I don't party much, actually last weekend in Havasu, I was on the lake 3 days and didn't drink 1 time. I would've like to have been there for that though.

waterwitch
10-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Actrually the week that MTV filmed which
was in 95 was very mellow. They brought in
their own crew, dancers, then contracted out
local construction guys to build the set. It was
out on the point of the Nautical Inn, and you had
to have a pass to get in. They had some great bands,
had a dance floor in cooper canyon above the water.
It was really neat. Anyways, 3 weeks later the show
started to air, and Havasu was hit extremely hard with
very young hard core partiers. The trash was incredible.
The Nautical was thrashed, along with Copper Canyon,
and the Channel. The following year MTV requested to
come back, and they were denied access to film. The retail
stores, and hotels were PISSED. But when the vote came to
be it was in the winter when we have all our snowbirds here,
and they said NO. That's the story.

Essex502
10-20-2004, 02:10 PM
No but "Wild On" was there only a coupla' years ago with the Dahm (don't know if I spelled that name right) triplets riding around flashing on one of our own member's boat...anybody remember who?

Music to my Ears
10-20-2004, 02:18 PM
No but "Wild On" was there only a coupla' years ago with the Dahm (don't know if I spelled that name right) triplets riding around flashing on one of our own member's boat...anybody remember who?
I believe that was Froggystyle. Do I win anything? ;)

XTRM22
10-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Here is a copy of my email to ol' Joe:
Joe,
I will live my life as I see appropriate, and I suggest you do the same. But do not go around thinking that you can tell me how to live my life and spend my free time. If you still think you need to live in a remote, rocky small town so you can hide in your little cocoon, then perhaps YOU should move to Baghdad. Baghdad, Arizona that is.
Jim Bau
Californian
Well Jimbo you how it is, you can educate the ignorant, but assholes are born and not likely to change. I must say, you got exactly the response I would have expected though. Now please don't send anyone else to Bagdad (no h in the Az spelling) I still go back there a couple times a year and don't need you sending any idiot you happen to meet there!
Go Bagdad Sultans!!
XTRM-former resident of the rocky remote town-22

Mighty Thor
10-20-2004, 02:39 PM
And this doesn't even start to get into the moral aspects of the EXTREME, conspicuous consumption that Californians are NOTORIOUS for with the purchase of such an EXTRORDINARILY WASTEFUL thing as a "performance" boat. The fact that you have a boat that probably consumes the same amount of fuel as an Abrams tank, makes me feel sick for the young people in Iraq fighting just so you can drive your 8 mpg SUV and idle all the gas away sitting in the channel showing off your bleach-blond wife with ten grand of plastic surgery, just so you can think you have a big one.
The shame of this is that this guy will stand tall and tell you that he is an American yet he has just forsaken the very thing that America stands for INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS. How dare he criticize or judge anyone else's lifestyle decisions. Our Country is fouded on the principle that I am free to pursue happines that is not criminally actuated. This gentelman's opinion is the equivalent of that of the worst racist. Intolerance of other's is anti American. I would never suggest that this guy leave our country because I disagree with him. But I would suggest that he go back to grade school and study up on what freedom is and is not. (stepping down off my soapbox now)

Mighty Thor
10-20-2004, 02:41 PM
somehow the quote dissapeared from my previous post The top language was taken from the first post on this thread.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-20-2004, 02:46 PM
The shame of this is that this guy will stand tall and tell you that he is an American yet he has just forsaken the very thing that America stands for INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS. How dare he criticize or judge anyone else's lifestyle decisions. Our Country is fouded on the principle that I am free to pursue happines that is not criminally actuated. This gentelman's opinion is the equivalent of that of the worst racist. Intolerance of other's is anti American. I would never suggest that this guy leave our country because I disagree with him. But I would suggest that he go back to grade school and study up on what freedom is and is not. (stepping down off my soapbox now)
Dman straight! Great post MT!

Goodtime$
10-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Respect the lake and the people around it, dont sweat the small stuff and be happy to have something so nice to enjoy.
anyways, environmentalists and liberals will try anything to slow us down, boat building and recreation with EPA issues, water rights and other safety issues. So the better we prepare and protray our image, the longer we can enjoy this land.
if someone is being an idiot, tell them, dont gripe about it later.
goodtimes. dont sh!t where you eat. anyways were down river of Havi so dont put trash in the water because it floats by my house eventually.
jet skiis and bass boat outboards pollute bad enough
thanks

Sleek-Jet
10-20-2004, 05:30 PM
WOW, is all I can say. I can see Roost's point as well. However, what get's lost in his wording is this: To many people, money is not everything. They live in small towns and earn not much more than minimum wage for a hard days labour because they feel their life is better there. Why? Maybe becuase their entire family is within walking distance, maybe they want their kids to grow up in a place where their first grade teacher was the same as their parents, maybe because they feel that life is better with a little dirt under their fingernails at the end of the day. The world needs people like that, just as we need the balls to the walls, competative types.
Most of the people on here that I have had contact with are highly motivated successfull, live hard, play hard, have a good time doing it types. It's been a pleasure to meet and converse with all of you (well, most of you anyways :D ), but let's realise that it takes all types to keep shit running and funtioning.
As far as Joe Graber... well, opinions are like assholes, ya know?

Huckleberry
10-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Respect the lake and the people around it, dont sweat the small stuff and be happy to have something so nice to enjoy.
anyways, environmentalists and liberals will try anything to slow us down, boat building and recreation with EPA issues, water rights and other safety issues. So the better we prepare and protray our image, the longer we can enjoy this land.
if someone is being an idiot, tell them, dont gripe about it later.
goodtimes. dont sh!t where you eat. anyways were down river of Havi so dont put trash in the water because it floats by my house eventually.
jet skiis and bass boat outboards pollute bad enough
thanks
Excellent post! I was always taught as a youngster to leave someplace cleaner than you found it. If you see some dortbag throw a bottle onthe beach, ask em to pick it up. If they tell you to fo **** yourself, its not worth a fight. Just pick it up and be the bigger person.

Essex502
10-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Here's a more rational response on the HavasuNews Hearld's website:
I say, Welcome to all the boaters, It is your vacation dollars that help keep this fine city going. If you do not accept the fact that there are always a few, and I do mean few, that want to get out of hand than you must be from another world. They are usually dealt with. For those of you that don't realize these things about our city, maybe you shoild move to Sun City, where you can drive your golf carts around inspecting your neighbors property and tell the home owners associations about all the things that bother you. Most of us love Lake Havasu the way it is. Welcome boaters, bikers, and yes, even snow birds.
Jim Harris
Wednesday, Oct 20, 2004 (03:10:10 pm MDT)
I guess some folks who live there do appreciate us boaters.

Magic34
10-21-2004, 10:56 AM
Here's a more rational response on the HavasuNews Hearld's website:
I say, Welcome to all the boaters, It is your vacation dollars that help keep this fine city going. If you do not accept the fact that there are always a few, and I do mean few, that want to get out of hand than you must be from another world. They are usually dealt with. For those of you that don't realize these things about our city, maybe you shoild move to Sun City, where you can drive your golf carts around inspecting your neighbors property and tell the home owners associations about all the things that bother you. Most of us love Lake Havasu the way it is. Welcome boaters, bikers, and yes, even snow birds.
Jim Harris
Wednesday, Oct 20, 2004 (03:10:10 pm MDT)
I guess some folks who live there do appreciate us boaters.
Jim Harris for Mayor!