PDA

View Full Version : AZ vs. CA...How Long Has This Been Going On?

Ion
10-20-2004, 12:24 PM
As a reletively new-ish member to this forum, I have become curious to determine how long CA people have been bickering with AZ people? Ever since I joined up, around July-Aug. of this year, it seems like there has always been one or more active threads relating to some controversial issue between those who live in the two states? Is this just the way things are? Is this one of those things that will never change?

NOTALENT
10-20-2004, 12:26 PM
its not a state war...were against the marina...and focker supporting it!!! :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
10-20-2004, 12:27 PM
I don't necessarily think it is a AZ vs. CA thing. I think that gets thrown into some of the discussions by some people as they see the stance that someone from CA is taking regarding some issue that is occuring in AZ, but affecting the CA person since they own property there. For example, the marina issue to me is not a AZ vs. CA thing. It's a boater issue, regardless of where you are from and if you do/do not have a house in LHC.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-20-2004, 12:28 PM
I have not seen it, I have a house in both states

Ion
10-20-2004, 12:28 PM
its not a state war...were against the marina...and focker supporting it!!! :cool:
I just read comments posted by a californian stating something like "arizonans can't keep up with increased property taxes, because their walmart jobs can't support it". Not exactly the quote, but the gist of it. That had nothing to do with the marina.

91nordic29
10-20-2004, 12:29 PM
ion -
i just noticed it today actually. but being a "dumb arizonan" :rolleyes: , maybe it just got past me. :cool:

OGShocker
10-20-2004, 12:30 PM
I have not seen it, I have a house in both states
I agree. We have friends on both sides too.
Now I have seen "FOCK CANADIAN" stickers. :rolleyes:

Ion
10-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Gotta run and finish up a boat. Whatever the case re: ca vs az, I'm sure glad I live here, cuz I never have to deal with rush hour (let's be real...rush all-day-long...I know, I used to commute to downtown Chicago).

hoolign
10-20-2004, 12:39 PM
I agree. We have friends on both sides too.
Now I have seen "FOCK CANADIAN" stickers. :rolleyes:
now that's bullshit!!!
:eek: they probably could'nt get it up in -40 :2purples:

NOTALENT
10-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Gotta run and finish up a boat. Whatever the case re: ca vs az, I'm sure glad I live here, cuz I never have to deal with rush hour (let's be real...rush all-day-long...I know, I used to commute to downtown Chicago).
there's advantages to both places..personally while I am young, although I hate traffic, I would rather deal with it and get paid extremely well...and retire or move out of state later on in life...plus the partying is still awesome here...haha :p

Stealth Marine
10-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Born and raised in Newport Beach California.
But there comes a point in your life when you just get fed up with all the laws that california has and its time to pack up and leave town.
Moved to Arizona, where the battle is with all the old retirees who are anti-growth and anti-boat instead...

prosthogod
10-20-2004, 12:44 PM
I was born and raised in Ca., and have now lived in aAz. for over 10 years. There isn't a turf war because I just keep talking people into moving here.

91nordic29
10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
i was born in redondo beach and moved to phoenix from huntington in 1984. arizona is a great place to live AND WORK. :D

ROZ
10-20-2004, 12:48 PM
It's just a bs cockfight with no real meaning. When it come down to it, it's no big deal.
I want know why people have a problem with Beaumont :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-20-2004, 12:48 PM
I have only noticed a little "friendly slamming" between CA and AZ residents. All in fun though. Same with those "Canatards." I guess there are some jerks like the post you quoted, but I haven't noticed it.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-20-2004, 12:49 PM
I just read comments posted by a californian stating something like "arizonans can't keep up with increased property taxes, because their walmart jobs can't support it". Not exactly the quote, but the gist of it. That had nothing to do with the marina.
I know personally the gentlemen who made that comment and he was just joking around with some of his/our friends from AZ on here.

Ziggy
10-20-2004, 12:49 PM
I see it mostly in cases where someone(and usually an Az Resident) says something to the effect of the "Califorian way" when it comes to an issue involving both states---something that happens often enough on this site due to the shared border along the lake/river that we all use.

NOTALENT
10-20-2004, 12:52 PM
i was born in redondo beach and moved to phoenix from huntington in 1984. arizona is a great place to live AND WORK. :D
Doesnt phoenix have just as much traffic???

91nordic29
10-20-2004, 12:55 PM
it sure is getting there! i think the same is true for any large city.

Magic34
10-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Your right CA vs. AZ.......ding ding ding
Round 1: BEAUMONT, CA vs. BOUSE, AZ :D :argue: :smile:
And if Beaumont takes out Bouse, we've got Vicksberg to back us up.

Second "PLACE"
10-20-2004, 01:20 PM
My $ is on BEAUMONT :D

waterwitch
10-20-2004, 01:28 PM
That's funny SHIT!! :D

Magic34
10-20-2004, 01:31 PM
My $ is on BEAUMONT :D
Yeah but everyone in Bouse is family. You know what happens when you mess with a family member...... :eat: :hammerhea :boxingguy

Boatcop
10-20-2004, 02:30 PM
For some of us it's an attitude that SOME Californians bring here.
Some come here and do things that they wouldn't dream of doing in their own neighborhood. What do you think would happen if a girl flashed her breasts to a crowd of people at Disneyland? Or was having sex on a towel at Huntington Beach? Or running motorcycles (drunk) up and down the Strand or Bike path in the South Bay?
That's no different than what goes on here.
"What do you mean I'm being charged with a Felony for this oz. of Pot? In California it's only a ticket."
I constantly here things like, "In California..." this and "back home..." that.
It just gets tiring to see people abuse the area and residents because they are just visiting.
I remember the signs that used to be all over the place here several years ago:
"WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN HOW THEY DO IT IN CALIFORNIA!"

Essex502
10-20-2004, 02:34 PM
I posted that and you took it out of context...it was that the folks who can't afford the increasing property taxes BECAUSE of low paying jobs like Wal-Mart or other low paying positions. The Wal-Mart reference was a way to hit home that wages and such might be a likely reason that the lower income folks don't like increases in property taxes. no offense was intended.
I own two properties in Lake Havasu City - one with a house on it now and I am building another house at the present time (framing complete) on the other. I bring a fair number of dollars into the City and the State of Arizona. I intend to retire to LHC in the next 5 years. I am not feuding with AZ peeps at all and have quite a few friends local to LHC now. I also interact with my builder, my RE broker, my landscaper, etc., etc., etc., all are very nice people and great to be around. My beef is with a specifc mindset epitomized by the actions of the Lake Havasu Marina management. The "we can do anything we want" mentality. I also take exception to the posts on here and on the HavasuNews Hearld website calling Californians the drunkin' MTV crowd with excessive boats and partying....I am taking those posts out of context.
So...if you don't understand my opinion just ask me ... I'd be happy to start a dialog.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-20-2004, 02:36 PM
"WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN HOW THEY DO IT IN CALIFORNIA!"
ROFLMAO! That's a good one Alan!
People do need to remember that even when you are just visiting the Strip or Havasu, or BHC and Lake Mohave, that you are in another State and the laws quite possibly are different and you need to abide by those laws! It's called common sense and, almost more important, common courtesy!

Ducatista
10-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Born and raised in Newport Beach California.
But there comes a point in your life when you just get fed up with all the laws that california has and its time to pack up and leave town.
Moved to Arizona, where the battle is with all the old retirees who are anti-growth and anti-boat instead...
I agree, the old growth in Havasu is anti growth/anti boat, and like Boatcop says there is some attitude problems with alot of the visitors to town, which doesn't help.
I saw a TV show on the local Havi channel about a month ago, where they were talking about a "no open container" law at the channel. The grand parents want to be able to take their grand kids down to the beach on Saturday without exposing them to all the crap. Whats going on at the Marina is directly related to these sentiments amongest some of the Havasu residents. They want a clean safe place to live and raise their kids, and are worried things are getting out of control. I can't say I blame them sometimes, based on what I see when I'm there. It's a beautiful boating city going through some major growning pains right now. I've never really sensed a Ca vs Az thing in my experience there. :cool:

Magic34
10-20-2004, 04:39 PM
I figured all the Beaumont peeps would be all over the Bouse threat, but Bouse must be holdin' em down.

Boatcop
10-20-2004, 05:09 PM
I figured all the Beaumont peeps would be all over the Bouse threat, but Bouse must be holdin' em down.
I think Bouse has the edge. You have to remember that EVERYONE in Bouse has guns. Lots and lots of guns.
And more importantly, a strong desire to use them.
I even took a call out there, several years ago, where a guy was shot by his DOG!!! :jawdrop:
When the dogs start getting guns, you know it's a tough town.

Magic34
10-20-2004, 06:07 PM
You heard it from BoatCop, Bouse is holdin it down!!

Mrs. casean
10-20-2004, 06:21 PM
I have no probs w. Az... I go there for vacation... I feel like it's my second home... then again I lived there for 10 mos... :D I didn't notice anything going on between AZ & CA to be honest??? Hope it's nothing like beaumont and snipers :D had to say it... sorry..

PHX ATC
10-20-2004, 06:39 PM
I live in AZ, vacation in AZ, vacation in Cali, and don't care for the politics of either.
I just live my life cavorting between both.
No problem.
Now, where's the beer at today??? :D

Mrs. casean
10-20-2004, 06:49 PM
I live in AZ, vacation in AZ, vacation in Cali, and don't care for the politics of either.
I just live my life cavorting between both.
No problem.
Now, where's the beer at today??? :D
That's how it should be... :D