PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Bikes, Honda 450 KTM 525 or?

Screaming Pete
10-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Let me know what any of you peeps thinks and why
thanks

jeepinscott
10-20-2004, 01:27 PM
The Hondas are having big valve problems. The call adjusting them 'regular maintenance' that needs to be done every 17 hrs.
I have a YZF426, and would say choose blue over red!
My buddy rides a KTM 525 SX and it is one hell of a bike. I will prolly buy one of them soon. Not as quick nor as fast as my yz, but it is taller and runs well. It has great fit and finish as compared to the jap bikes. My $.02

OGShocker
10-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Let me know what any of you peeps thinks and why
thanks
What kind of riding?
I ride a 650R. I like it a lot for the High Desert. The 450, is ReAl tweeky were the 650 has a smoother power band. The 650 would suck for any technical type riding.

SoCalHD
10-20-2004, 01:36 PM
I have an 02' CRF450 and my neighbor has an 02 YZF426. We both have well over 150 hrs on our bikes. Both have been totally reliable. The Honda has suffered from valve issues, but it seems to be more related to user than bike I think. I have checked my clearances several times, and my valves have been spot on. I am also one of those people that actually maintain my bike like you are supposed to i.e. I clean/change the air fliter every time I ride the bike, and change the engine and tranny oils every 3-4 rides. I also ride desert and trails for the most part, so I don't rev the piss out of my bike. My opinion is(for what it is worth) that most issues that people are having with these new 4-strokes are that they are not like the 2-strokes they came off of. More maintainence and attention to detail is required, as well as a different style of riding. You rev a 2-stroke, you don't rev a 4-stroke. Whew!! All that to say-find what you like, what fits you as far as egro's are concerned, and have fun!!!

faster
10-20-2004, 01:38 PM
WR450 for me!!!!

Captain Dan
10-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Haven't seen or heard of any valve problems with the Honda 450. I own an '04, and my riding buddy rode the hell out of his '02 prior to getting his '04 -no valve problems in the bunch.
The KTM is a great bike, but they are very proud of them - it would have been hard for me to justify spending $9k on dirt bike - if you can, go for it. Parts and ease of getting parts may also be an issue, at least more so than Honda.
On the other hand, I really like my 450, it's easy to ride and very forgiving. It handles great and wheelies in every gear. I'm going to regear the bike for desert.
Have a look at the 450X - it has a headlight, WR transmission and electric start, and from what I read, very little was added in weight. If they had that bike out last year, I probably would have bought that one since I mostly ride desert.
Good Luck. :cool:

Second "PLACE"
10-20-2004, 02:06 PM
I would have to say it all depends on the application that you want to use it for.....ie desert, motocross, trails. Each bike has great qualities no doubt.
I currently have the 02 WR450 (w/a CA. lic plate), 03 CRF450, and have spent about 200 hours testing the KTM off road. Each bike is an excellent choice. If I was to choose a bike for motocross, the Honda CRF is my favorite. Nothing against the other 2, the Honda just handles better, and has great tractable power on a motocross track. It DOES need quite a few mods to make it a reasonable desert racer though. This can be costly.
The WR450 hands down is my choice off road for desert/long distance reliablity. I race everything from BAJA to local D-37, and this bike takes EVERYTHING I give it, and THEN some. Simple maintenance is all that is needed. My reason for the CA. lic. plate is to simply ride the "no green sticker" areas that we USED TO be able to access! (that's a whole different issue).
The KTM is a great bike as well, but in my opinion underpowered compared to the other 2 mentioned machines. It handles very well and looks great, but just like a German car, is EXPENSIVE to maintain. More frequent service is required on this bike as well.
With that being said, any of the 3 would be a great choice, and I don't want to sound biased. Good luck in the hunt. :D

montyawards
10-20-2004, 02:15 PM
The Hondas are having big valve problems. The call adjusting them 'regular maintenance' that needs to be done every 17 hrs.
I haven't had one problem with the valves on my 03 CRF. And I ride about once a week. I have had it at the dealer just to service the valves after the first 10 hrs or so, and haven't had a single problem after that.
You can't go wrong with the Honda. However KTMs offer electric start. A little heavy but worth it if you trail ride.

Captain Dan
10-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey "Second Place"
What are some inexpensive mods for the Honda 450 that you would recommend for desert?

Screaming Pete
10-20-2004, 02:20 PM
WoW great reply's guys I'll be ridding mostly desert and about 1/2 the time with the family, anymore thoughts would be great.. wr450? I'll look into that also.

faster
10-20-2004, 02:43 PM
WoW great reply's guys I'll be ridding mostly desert and about 1/2 the time with the family, anymore thoughts would be great.. wr450? I'll look into that also.
Like Captain Dan said , check the Honda 450X. I love my wr450 but if you'r not taller than 5-10 it may feel to Big.

Second "PLACE"
10-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Hey "Second Place"
What are some inexpensive mods for the Honda 450 that you would recommend for desert?
Well the FIRST thing I would do is add an IMS oversised, clear Desert fuel tank.The stock tank gives little fuel range, and you cannot see fuel level.....about $200.00
The SECOND thing I would recommend is adding an 18 inch rear wheel in place of the stock 19 inch wheel. The stock rear wheel is prone to damage and frequent flat tires in the desert......about $240.00
The THIRD thing I would recommend is gearing your bike taller for desert by changing sprocket ratios. Changing the rear sprocket to a 46 tooth, and the countershaft sprocket to a 14 or 15 allows the engine to reach much faster speeds, and LOWER engine RPM's, thus allowing the engine to last much longer---ESPECIALLY when being run for long periods of time.The main reason people have valve issues with this bike is because the typiclly "overrev" the engine like their old 2 stroke they used to ride.....about $200.00
Last a steering stabilizer/dampner is a MUST for desert, but this applies to ALL of the bike aforementioned. This will keep headshake to a minimum on high speed fire roads with lots of whops and or chop.....about $450.00
Hope this helps. :wink:

Second "PLACE"
10-20-2004, 03:27 PM
By the way, both the WR450 and the KTM450 both come stock with an 18 inch rear wheel.

Second "PLACE"
10-20-2004, 03:33 PM
I haven't had one problem with the valves on my 03 CRF. And I ride about once a week. I have had it at the dealer just to service the valves after the first 10 hrs or so, and haven't had a single problem after that.
You can't go wrong with the Honda. However KTMs offer electric start. A little heavy but worth it if you trail ride.
Your right monty----and MOST people won't have any valve issues, as long as they are using the bike fore mere recreational puposes. BUT, if you plan to race this bike, be it Desert or motocross, you WILL eventually expireince valve iproblems. This engine, when ran hard for prolonged periods will cost $. I sure do like that KTM electric start as well. :D

TCHB
10-20-2004, 04:38 PM
If you are going to leave the bike stock go with the Honda.

Goodtime$
10-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda all the way, get a steering dampner and call it good.
KTM is a great bike, just be sure you have a good relationship with a local KTM parts retailer.
talk to my buddy Jay Hopping at Performance Motorsports in San Juan Capistrano, CA. Honda/Suzuki dealer, they will set you up right.

Dribble
10-20-2004, 05:07 PM
The KTM is certainly more versatle. If you're old and slow like me then it doesn't matter if you have the best motocross bike.

Mrs. casean
10-20-2004, 06:28 PM
The Mr has the first year CRF 450 (2001 or 2002? I don't remember when they came out) but he definitely had the valve problem... but now knows how to fix no prob... other than that... after he got it... our friend that had a CR 500 decided to go w/ the 450 and would not go back... my brother went from driving a buggie to buying the 450, as well as our other frined who had a suzuki... They all ride in the desert and in the sand. They all love the 450... no problems w/ the valves on the newer years... I am pretty sure they fixed it... good luck w/ the purchase! Maybe we'll see you around... where do you plan on going?

Hustler
10-20-2004, 06:55 PM
For trail riding I'd go with the 525MXC, the bike only weigh's in at 250lbs and is very comfortable. I ride a yz 400 right now and I can tell you electric start will be on my next bike :)

mojavegreen
10-20-2004, 07:16 PM
For offroad and desert KTM has my vote. Add some handguards and skidplate you are good to go. EXC and MXC are green sticker bikes and the SX is red. If motorcross is your action then I would go with the Honda. Just my 0.02

hondajoey
10-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Honda 450 is my favorite
the valves are not a big deal if you are not an idiot and and notice the signs of when they need the adjustment, and always run good gas & maintain your bike
these bikes are great and are nick named the widow maker guys that dont know how to ride get them and ride faster than they can handle and end up getting hurt,
but what ever you get good luck all the bikes out right now are pretty even in quallity

JEFF-N-MICHELLE
10-20-2004, 08:20 PM
My son use to race ktm's and parts were so damn expensive and not readly available...

jstwkd
10-20-2004, 08:58 PM
04 KTM 450MXC...Came with alot more for the money.More maintenance sure but I over maintain everything I own anyway.Great trail bike.I have 2 buddies running the 04 CRF 450s.They had to buy a spark arrester,chain,sprocket,bigger tank,and send the suspension out to be softened up for the ridding we do.(trial)I think that was all they did.but they ended up spending more than I did for my KTM.
AndI tend to fall ALOT! So the push button was a must..LMAOI also have 2 other buddies running the 525 MXC.They love em...But not for the track..Actaully we just picked up one of these from the shop.He just had the engine strocked to a 575.For NO apparant reason.(because I can)And one other with the 250 EXC and another with a 625 SXC.Everyone bought for different reasons and everyone digs they're bikes...I didi like the quick power of the CRF and its much lighter...

Second "PLACE"
10-21-2004, 07:06 AM
Not biased??? Right :D
Ok, I have to disagree here.
Motocross: Honda 450 hands down.
Offroad: KTM then the Yamaha WR450.
I 've got an 04 KTM450 EXC and the only thing I have had to spend money on was tires! :2purples: Other than that it has cost me nothing but gas and filters.
I ride the desert almost 95% of the time. I've added an IMS 3.2 gal tank, removed the lights, added some hand gaurds and some other misc things. Next year it'll be a 525 EXC. Both weigh in at 254 lbs and both have an electric starter, a great thing to have when it gets hot in the high desert...
try this www.ktmtalk.com or www.thumpertalk.com
I wouldn't expect you to agree with me, ESPECIALLY after such an expensive
investment in a motorcycle. :D The KTM450EXC DOES cost about $2500.00 more than the other 2 bikes.... TRUE, it comes with a few extra off-road goodies such as a spark arrestor, but the WR450 is a great buy for the money that ALSO includes a spark arrestor, etc.
I raced both the BAJA 500 and Vegas to Reno races in 2003 on the KTM450EXC. Bike worked great, and we had a blast on that machine. I just feel that for the AVERAGE Guy, the WR450 is a better choice, COST being a mojor factor. Just my .02

Second "PLACE"
10-21-2004, 07:08 AM
My son use to race ktm's and parts were so damn expensive and not readly available...
Anyone care to dispute THIS racers claim of cost? :D

dave186
10-21-2004, 08:07 AM
KTM mini bike parts are expensive and hard to get. and there are very little aftermarket parts for them (like levers).
as for the 450s, anyone considered a Husqvarna? I rode one of the new TC450s and it was bitchen, i didnt care for the e start, i would take it off but its kinda cool as a novelty. our shop is in the middle of filling out the paperwork to become a dealer for them.

likeFATHERlikeSON3
10-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda 450 all the way
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/230119_1915.JPG

Second "PLACE"
10-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Honda 450 all the way
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/230119_1915.JPG
Nice SUPERMOTARD modifications ! Looks like a fun bike :D