PDA

View Full Version : Pump Setback?

Hondo Jet
06-07-2001, 09:03 AM
I am having a Berkeley JC pump installed in my Hondo were a Jacuzzi WJ used to be. The person doing the work whom used to build Taylor boats thinks I should have him move the pump and motor back since he is going to glass in the bottom of the boat and will be cutting a new hole anyway . Have any of you people done this? Is there any problems with doing this?

dcraig
06-07-2001, 09:07 AM
If your looking for performance, this is the way to go. Just make sure a ride plate and machined intake are part of the installation.
The set back pump will also freeup some room inside the boat.

Jetmugg
06-07-2001, 09:10 AM
I agree, if you are starting with a new installation, have the pump set back, and a custom transom adapter will most likely have to be made. One of the many benefits will also be moving the hand hole outside the boat, so that you can remove it (when necessary) while the boat is on the water, without sinking it.
SteveM.

Hondo Jet
06-07-2001, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the reply How is the pump sealed to the transom? He was talking about using a aluminum plate but I do not see how the pump would mount to it.

dcraig
06-07-2001, 09:55 AM
Most of the pump manufacturers really have the set back pump hardware dialed in. The ones I seen have the metal plate that fits around the pump and is engineered specifically for this type of application. I don't know about what Berkely has to offer in this regard, but I have seen many American Turbine and Dominator pumps set up this way with factory manufactured hardware, and the installation is tight.
The other recommendation I would have is to make sure they also install a pump brace inside the boat with a set back installation. It adds a lot of integrity and strength.

Slow Boat 001
06-07-2001, 10:55 AM
Move the pump but dont move the motor or you will have a balanceing problem and your boat may want to hop around at top speeds.Moving the pump is a good idea if you want more performance out of your boat.

MellowYelloW
06-07-2001, 10:02 PM
when my motor was being built, they went to install it and found out that the pump had been moved back...the had to move the motor back also 3/4 of an inch. havnt got to test it out yet but i was told that it would be okay. i will let you know how it works out after sat...first day out!!!!

Slow Boat 001
06-07-2001, 10:21 PM
3/4 is not that bad it is when you go 8in or so then things will start to change in the way your boat will handle. In our race boats we move the pump back and the motors up . The only time you need to move the motor up is when you need to keep the nose down at the top speed. You wont even know they moved it with only 3/4 www.worthingtonmotorsports.nasha.com (http://www.worthingtonmotorsports.nasha.com)