PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Question

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-20-2004, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know how to uninstall internet explorer an then reinstall it? I have another browser so I can redownload it if I have to. I just dont know how to uninstall it???????????

Some Kind Of Monster
10-20-2004, 11:16 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q293907

Rexone
10-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Control panel, add/remove programs

BajaMike
10-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Actually, go to Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, click on "Add/Remove Windows Coponents", then uncheck Internet Explorer.....except....
:confused:
You can't really remove Internet Explorer...it's "an integral part of Windows". If you have a problem, just go to update it and it should fix the problem.
:hammer2:

Rexone
10-20-2004, 11:54 PM
You really don't need to remove IE to install a second browser if that's the only reason your removing it.

NashvilleBound
10-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Ok, since the question has come up....I am getting red X's where my images are supposed to be. Like on the Ultra deck boat thread...just the ones on the thread that were posted. I THINK it started after the upgrade to Service pack 2. Should I un-install that and what are the ramifications? Not the avatars...MOST of them are fine. I have tried everything I can think of...new Java download to Zone Alarms, pop-up blockers on/off..nothing. Can I re-install IE and not loose all my stuff? How? All my security/privicy settings are default now too. heeelllpppppppp......

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Ok, since the question has come up....I am getting red X's where my images are supposed to be. Like on the Ultra deck boat thread...just the ones on the thread that were posted. I THINK it started after the upgrade to Service pack 2. Should I un-install that and what are the ramifications? Not the avatars...MOST of them are fine. I have tried everything I can think of...new Java download to Zone Alarms, pop-up blockers on/off..nothing. Can I re-install IE and not loose all my stuff? How? All my security/privicy settings are default now too. heeelllpppppppp......
i have the same problem too!!!!!!!!
WTF?????????

NashvilleBound
10-21-2004, 03:26 AM
i have the same problem too!!!!!!!!
WTF?????????
Dont do anything till I find out whats wrong...I've tried everything!

goeasy
10-21-2004, 03:39 AM
Did you download service pack 2? I did and computer went crazy so I uninstalled it and ordered a free disc from microsoft and put it on. puter is purring like a kitten. So if you downloaded it I think you should do what I did. it may help.

NashvilleBound
10-21-2004, 07:06 AM
Thanks... 396, YOU try it first:)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Bump

Some Kind Of Monster
10-21-2004, 07:52 PM
You can't "uninstall" Internet Explorer. It is built in to windows. All you can do in uninstall the updates and then reinstall them and the service packs as per above.

Mrs. casean
10-21-2004, 07:52 PM
A really good web browser to use instead of I.E. is mozillia... I used to have problems when I had I.E. and since I downloaded Mozilla for FREE... no broblems... worth a shot!

HPB
10-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Before you update IE you have to make sure your PC is Spyware and Virus Free. I recomend Adaware SE and Adware away Both are free and clean up allot of stuff you probably don't even know you have... goto www.downloads.com to get both of them.... Also update your antivirus this always helps......

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-21-2004, 11:12 PM
A really good web browser to use instead of I.E. is mozillia... I used to have problems when I had I.E. and since I downloaded Mozilla for FREE... no broblems... worth a shot!
I did that and everything works great except for some pics on ***boat. the reason why i like IE is because my email is hooked up to msn messanger and it tells me when I have a email.

NashvilleBound
10-22-2004, 03:36 AM
I un-installed Service Pack 2 last night. No change. I was going to re-install it today hoping for a change. I doubt it will work. I've run spyware, adware, Zone alarms, Pest Patrol....I mean, what the hell???? :confused: :confused:

RiverKitty
10-22-2004, 04:01 AM
I'm glad you brought this up.
I would be browsing along and then all of the sudden, I couldn't browse. Strange thing was, I would still receive my e-mail in Outlook. :confused: After further investigation, I found that it IS due to the Windows Service Pack 2 upgrade.
Apprently when the system views suspicious memory being initiated, it shuts down the TCP layer. The times I've noticed it most is when Kazaa or EMule are running. I think the system may perceive it to be suspcious activity. I honestly don't know how to word what I'm trying to describe.
This should explain it better:
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 4226
Source: Tcpip
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_TCPIP_TCP_CONNECT_LIMIT_REACHED
Message: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent (incomplete) TCP connect attempts.
User Action
This event is a warning that a malicious program or a virus might be running on the system. To troubleshoot the issue, find the program that is responsible for the failing connection attempts and, if the program might be malicious, close the program as follows.
To close the program
At the command prompt, type
Netstat –no
Find the process with a large number of open connections that are not yet established.
These connections are indicated by the TCP state SYN_SEND in the State column of the Active Connections information.
Note the process identification number (PID) of the process in the PID column.
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then click Task Manager.
On the Processes tab, select the processes with the matching PID, and then click End Process.
If you need to select the option to view the PID for processes, on the View menu, click Select Columns, select the PID (Process Identifier) check box, and then click OK.
----------------------------------------------------------
When I followed the directions above, I found that EMule software had the most PID's. After I shut EMule down...it was fine.
This was another article I found that may also be affecting the TCP timeout issue:
Understanding Data Execution PreventionData Execution Prevention (DEP) helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats that attack by running (executing) malicious code from memory locations that only Windows and other programs should use. This type of threat causes damage by taking over one or more memory locations in use by a program. Then it spreads and harms other programs, files, and even your e-mail contacts.
Unlike a firewall or antivirus program, DEP does not help prevent harmful programs from being installed on your computer. Instead, it monitors your programs to determine if they use system memory safely. To do this, DEP software works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory locations as "non-executable". If a program tries to run code—malicious or not—from a protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you.
DEP can take advantage of software and hardware support. To use DEP, your computer must be running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later. DEP software alone helps protect against certain types of malicious code attacks but to take full advantage of the protection that DEP can offer, your processor must support "execution protection". This is a hardware-based technology designed to mark memory locations as non-executable. If your processor does not support hardware-based DEP, it's a good idea to upgrade to a processor that offers execution protection features.
Is it safe to run a program again if DEP has closed it?
Yes, but only if you leave DEP turned on for that program. Windows can continue to detect attempts to execute code from protected memory locations and help prevent attacks. In cases where a program does not run correctly with DEP turned on, you can reduce security risks by getting a DEP-compatible version of the program from the software publisher. For more information about what to do after DEP closes a program, click Related Topics.
How can I tell if DEP is available on my computer?
To open System Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
Click the Advanced tab and, under Performance, click Settings.
Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
Note
By default, DEP is only turned on for essential Windows operating system programs and services. To help protect more programs with DEP, select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
-------------------------------------------
I'll tell ya what....MicroSoft really screwed up on this one!!! :mad:
Good luck!
Cheers ~RiverKitty :D

572Daytona
10-22-2004, 05:15 AM
MS put a limit on the max incomplete tcp connections in SP2 to limit the spread of blaster or sasser type worms which I think is a good thing. There are ways to patch your tcp/ip stack to remove this limitation, see here:
http://forum.emule-project.net/index.php?showtopic=56016
Personally I would dump Kaaza and Emule, I'm not a big fan of any p2p software as they are inherent security exposures.

RiverKitty
10-22-2004, 06:31 AM
F'ing Microsoft!!! :eat:
They add this patch from hell to your system and unless your an elite geek or programmer...your stuck with it! They should have given the consumer the option to turn it on or off.
Can you imagine how many average consumers out there that downloaded SP2 and keep saying, "WTF"????!!! :mad:
If I wasn't so geeky I never would have figured this out!!!
Thanks for the links....very informative! One of the articles says that this not only affects P2P but mulit-gaming as well. :mad:

572Daytona
10-22-2004, 07:34 AM
It is only limiting incomplete connections, i.e. attempted TCP connections to hosts that aren't listening on that particular port. If you have a known hosts that are listening for that traffic there is no limitation on the number of connections The problem is that p2p and some of the gamespy type software basically spams any and all tcpip addresses looking for computers that respond to their requests and most people don't run that type of software on there computers so the requests never complete. This is the computer equivalent of a telemarketer calling all phone numbers trying to see if anyone is interested in their stuff. And it is also how a lot of the trojan type viruses spread. This is why you look at your firewall software and see all sorts of unsolicited inbound requests. WinXP SP2 is an option, MS did warn people that there could be compatibility problems with certain programs. You can always choose to remove it or do what I do and continue to run Win98 which gives the user much more control.

NashvilleBound
10-22-2004, 07:47 AM
I'm glad you brought this up.
I would be browsing along and then all of the sudden, I couldn't browse. Strange thing was, I would still receive my e-mail in Outlook. :confused: After further investigation, I found that it IS due to the Windows Service Pack 2 upgrade.
Apprently when the system views suspicious memory being initiated, it shuts down the TCP layer. The times I've noticed it most is when Kazaa or EMule are running. I think the system may perceive it to be suspcious activity. I honestly don't know how to word what I'm trying to describe.
This should explain it better:
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 4226
Source: Tcpip
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_TCPIP_TCP_CONNECT_LIMIT_REACHED
Message: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent (incomplete) TCP connect attempts.
User Action
This event is a warning that a malicious program or a virus might be running on the system. To troubleshoot the issue, find the program that is responsible for the failing connection attempts and, if the program might be malicious, close the program as follows.
To close the program
At the command prompt, type
Netstat –no
Find the process with a large number of open connections that are not yet established.
These connections are indicated by the TCP state SYN_SEND in the State column of the Active Connections information.
Note the process identification number (PID) of the process in the PID column.
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then click Task Manager.
On the Processes tab, select the processes with the matching PID, and then click End Process.
If you need to select the option to view the PID for processes, on the View menu, click Select Columns, select the PID (Process Identifier) check box, and then click OK.
----------------------------------------------------------
When I followed the directions above, I found that EMule software had the most PID's. After I shut EMule down...it was fine.
This was another article I found that may also be affecting the TCP timeout issue:
Understanding Data Execution PreventionData Execution Prevention (DEP) helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats that attack by running (executing) malicious code from memory locations that only Windows and other programs should use. This type of threat causes damage by taking over one or more memory locations in use by a program. Then it spreads and harms other programs, files, and even your e-mail contacts.
Unlike a firewall or antivirus program, DEP does not help prevent harmful programs from being installed on your computer. Instead, it monitors your programs to determine if they use system memory safely. To do this, DEP software works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory locations as "non-executable". If a program tries to run code—malicious or not—from a protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you.
DEP can take advantage of software and hardware support. To use DEP, your computer must be running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later. DEP software alone helps protect against certain types of malicious code attacks but to take full advantage of the protection that DEP can offer, your processor must support "execution protection". This is a hardware-based technology designed to mark memory locations as non-executable. If your processor does not support hardware-based DEP, it's a good idea to upgrade to a processor that offers execution protection features.
Is it safe to run a program again if DEP has closed it?
Yes, but only if you leave DEP turned on for that program. Windows can continue to detect attempts to execute code from protected memory locations and help prevent attacks. In cases where a program does not run correctly with DEP turned on, you can reduce security risks by getting a DEP-compatible version of the program from the software publisher. For more information about what to do after DEP closes a program, click Related Topics.
How can I tell if DEP is available on my computer?
To open System Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
Click the Advanced tab and, under Performance, click Settings.
Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
Note
By default, DEP is only turned on for essential Windows operating system programs and services. To help protect more programs with DEP, select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
-------------------------------------------
I'll tell ya what....MicroSoft really screwed up on this one!!! :mad:
Good luck!
Cheers ~RiverKitty :D
I'm impressed!!!! Now in english please :hammerhea :hammerhea :)

RiverKitty
10-22-2004, 04:50 PM
It is only limiting incomplete connections, i.e. attempted TCP connections to hosts that aren't listening on that particular port. If you have a known hosts that are listening for that traffic there is no limitation on the number of connections The problem is that p2p and some of the gamespy type software basically spams any and all tcpip addresses looking for computers that respond to their requests and most people don't run that type of software on there computers so the requests never complete. This is the computer equivalent of a telemarketer calling all phone numbers trying to see if anyone is interested in their stuff. And it is also how a lot of the trojan type viruses spread. This is why you look at your firewall software and see all sorts of unsolicited inbound requests. WinXP SP2 is an option, MS did warn people that there could be compatibility problems with certain programs. You can always choose to remove it or do what I do and continue to run Win98 which gives the user much more control.
Yes, I understand all that, I just wish MS would have given us the option to turn it on or off.
There's probably a bunch of grumpy gamers out there as well.
Nevertheless, I still prefer WinXP Pro so I guess I could just un-install service pack 2. :rolleyes:

RiverKitty
10-22-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm impressed!!!! Now in english please :hammerhea :hammerhea :)
Microsoft SUCKS!!! :mad:
Does that help any??? :idea: :D

572Daytona
10-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Yes, I understand all that, I just wish MS would have given us the option to turn it on or off.
There's probably a bunch of grumpy gamers out there as well.
Nevertheless, I still prefer WinXP Pro so I guess I could just un-install service pack 2. :rolleyes:
There may be a way to increase the number of connections by editing the tcp/ip parms in the registry. MS usually does have a lot of options and settings that they keep hidden from casual users.

RiverKitty
10-22-2004, 05:28 PM
There may be a way to increase the number of connections by editing the tcp/ip parms in the registry. MS usually does have a lot of options and settings that they keep hidden from casual users.
Based on the links provided earlier in this thread, that is a true statement.
There are ways to work around the problem but an average computer challenged person would never be able to figure it out....let alone understand why they are continually getting dropped off the internet. I could only imagine their frustration.

572Daytona
10-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Based on the links provided earlier in this thread, that is a true statement.
There are ways to work around the problem but an average computer challenged person would never be able to figure it out....let alone understand why they are continually getting dropped off the internet. I could only imagine their frustration.
Hmm..from what I read it didn't sound like it should affect normal tcp traffic, the only thing being limited would be incomplete connections which aren't going anywhere anyway. This may cause certain programs that generate the incomplete requests such as emule or the sasser worm to fail (which would be a good thing for the average computer challenged person), but requests that connect and complete shouldn't be affected. The challenge that MS has is trying to limit the damage that the unknowledgeable user can wreak over the internet once they get infected by a worm that they are completely unaware of. Those worms caused massive downtime in a lot of corporations. I miss the good old days under dos and win3.1 where you actually had to have a degree in computer science with a network specialization just to get a tcp/ip stack up and running. The internet was a much less crowded place back then :)

NashvilleBound
10-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Dell just wrote me back and said I need to do a Repair Re-install. I'll loose all my settings and files wont I?????? I can drive the hell out of my boat but dont EVER ask me to fix this little black box here.

572Daytona
10-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Dell just wrote me back and said I need to do a Repair Re-install. I'll loose all my settings and files wont I?????? I can drive the hell out of my boat but dont EVER ask me to fix this little black box here.
Before you do that try taking down Zone Alarm and the popup blocker and see if the problem goes away, sometimes the software that is supposed to fix problems can cause more. Also go into your internet explore settings and on the advanced tab, click on the restore defaults button, also on the Security tab go in and reset the security level to medium and see if that helps.

572Daytona
10-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Another thing you may want to try is using the Firefox browser instead of IE:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

NashvilleBound
10-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Before you do that try taking down Zone Alarm and the popup blocker and see if the problem goes away, sometimes the software that is supposed to fix problems can cause more. Also go into your internet explore settings and on the advanced tab, click on the restore defaults button, also on the Security tab go in and reset the security level to medium and see if that helps.
I already shut ZA off and my pop up blockers...no help. Its really PISSING me off.

572Daytona
10-22-2004, 06:36 PM
I already shut ZA off and my pop up blockers...no help. Its really PISSING me off.
Go download and run HijackThis: http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10307556.html and send me a PM with the list of entries that it generates. I can check to see if anything running on your computer looks out of place. Also if you have a router or modem for your internet connection, it couldn't hurt to try powering it off and on again in case something in there is hosed.

NashvilleBound
10-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Go download and run HijackThis: http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10307556.html and send me a PM with the list of entries that it generates. I can check to see if anything running on your computer looks out of place. Also if you have a router or modem for your internet connection, it couldn't hurt to try powering it off and on again in case something in there is hosed.
You've got mail. BTW: Thanks for the help too!!!

572Daytona
10-22-2004, 08:32 PM
You've got mail. BTW: Thanks for the help too!!!
I just sent you a reply, I did see that you had windupdates running on the system which is adware/malware and could be the problem.

NashvilleBound
10-23-2004, 04:17 AM
I did what you reccomended...I still see a few red x's but when I try to right click to "show Picture" It changes quickly from a red x to the circle/square/triangle..in the same small box...then back to a red freeeeeekeing X.

572Daytona
10-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Give me an example of a page where you are seeing a red x instead of a picture.

NashvilleBound
10-23-2004, 07:12 AM
http://***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60524
I get 7 red X's in the first post.....
If we get this working you will need to send me your address so I can take care of you.....

572Daytona
10-23-2004, 09:00 AM
http://***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60524
I get 7 red X's in the first post.....
If we get this working you will need to send me your address so I can take care of you.....
Hmm...I get red X's there as well, but if I cut and paste the url of the pictures into a new browser window I see them fine. I've got Win98SE so it's doesn't appear to be a WinXP problem. I will try it on a few different computers and see if I can determine a pattern.

572Daytona
10-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Test...I copied a post from that thread into here:
It was great today. We went to see our boat (almost done now, just the stereo left to do) at Ultra's photo shoot for their brochure and TV ads. Lots of fun. Here are some pictures of my boat (from Out of the Mold I & II). By the way, it's been 4 weeks and 2 days since I ordered from Ultra, on a Saturday! Pretty good I think. Those guys at Ultra are phenominal.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1949PA123197-med.JPGhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1949PA123185-med.JPGhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1949PA123357-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1949PA123314-med.JPGhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1949PA123350-med.JPGhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1949PA123287-med.JPG

572Daytona
10-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Ok, it seems to work fine when I copy a post from thread into this thread. It looks to me to be a problem in the Hot Boats West forum. I tried viewing that thread on 3 more computers, 2 Winxp and 1 Win2K and I get red x's on all of them. I also tried using Opera browser and got no pictures either.
Bottom line, it appears to be a problem with the HTML coding in that forum and nothing to do with your Computer, so don't rebuild it yet. I did run it through an HTML checker and found a possible error and I will PM ***boat to check it out.

572Daytona
10-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Ok, I think I might have figured out what is wrong, if I change the link to ***boat.com instead of ***boat.net, the thread displays fine without any red X's. I think what is happening is for those who go into the forums under ***boat.net instead of ***boat.com the server is not displaying the pictures since it thinks the pictures are being linked to from a different domain. Solution, either change your bookmarks from ***boat.net to ***boat.com or get ***boat to allow ***boat.com to serve pictures to ***boat.net
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60524