PDA

View Full Version : How not to transport your boat.

jeepinscott
10-21-2004, 08:49 AM
http://photos.imageevent.com/greenagain/streetbikes/websize/boat2.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/greenagain/streetbikes/websize/boat4.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/greenagain/streetbikes/websize/boat5.jpg
2 month old boat and a new truck!

racecar.hotshoe
10-21-2004, 08:53 AM
"ouch!"

Keithb87
10-21-2004, 08:54 AM
I saw a boat transport on e-bay that kinda looked like that, But it was for 12 to 16 foot fishing boat..

MsDrmr
10-21-2004, 08:55 AM
now theres a bright idea :idea:

BADBLOWN572
Note to self, always use tie downs on the back of the boat & trailer

Tequila-John
what the hell happened

bunny 166
10-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Holy shiat!! I think I would cry... :cry:

Jordy
10-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Wow, thankfully it was only a Ford. :D :D :D
I saw that happen once, but it was probably 10+ years ago and it was a guy pulling a 19' Sea Ray or some other chopper gun boat with a 4 door Caddy, he had to slam on his brakes and the boat ended up all the way on top of the car. Car and boat trailer still had temp registration on it... What a way to wreck your day. Wouldn't want to make that call to the insurance company either. :rollside:

switchin'addiction
10-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Exactly, they are there for a reason.

BarryMac
Bought an expensive boat and Truck, he couldn't afford the tie downs!!!
gjb

racecar.hotshoe
I think it should say."Dont let this guy transport your boat."..... :coffeycup :D

Parker Dreamin
How does something like that happen ? No straps and hitten the breaks hard ????

HighRoller
10-21-2004, 08:58 AM
what the hell happened
More money than brains.

1978 Rogers
10-21-2004, 08:59 AM
You can do that with water lice. Why not a new boat? He just didn't have it far enough forward to keep the load balanced.

10-21-2004, 09:02 AM
"....Ya just can't beat a Ford for their brakes" [Dutch Dooley]

Keithb87
Wasn't there a thread a few months back of something like this happening to a Board Members Daughters Boyfriend????
Jet Boat came off the trailer on the Highway ???

NastyOne
gjb
More like couldnt afford the brains. :hammerhea

THOR
10-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Wow, thankfully it was only a Ford. :D :D :D
:devil:

Brewzed
10-21-2004, 09:05 AM
gjb
maybe the bank wouldn't finance the tie downs :smile:

Jordy
10-21-2004, 09:05 AM
:devil:
Come on, it could be worse. It could be a Chevy and a Skater. :D

HCS
10-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Kinda missed the trailer eh.

Jordy
10-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Kinda missed the trailer eh.
First time loading it on the ramp... keep coming, keep coming, just a little more... whoa. Good right there. :D

Magic34
10-21-2004, 09:11 AM
That had to have just happened. That boat was on Havasu last weekend. Sucks to be them.

NastyOne
10-21-2004, 09:12 AM
I dont even want to ask how much the crane cost and who paid.
I can hear the phone call to the insurance company…
Insurance co. “You had to do what!” :2purples:
Guy “Ya… we had to have a crane come out in the desert at 11pm… and it was a big one.” :hammerhea

JetBoatRich
10-21-2004, 09:15 AM
That had to cost some money to get back on the trailer :hammerhea should have spent the money on the tie downs :2purples:

NorCalCat
10-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Case & point.
Just because you have money does not mean you have a brain! :hammerhea

HCS
10-21-2004, 09:17 AM
First time loading it on the ramp... keep coming, keep coming, just a little more... whoa. Good right there. :D
Sure see some bizzare mishaps on here. :hammerhea

PHX ATC
10-21-2004, 09:23 AM
So.........Sleekcrafts are faster than Fords? :D
Just kidding, that would suck and sure ruin your week/month.
I suppose some $10 tiedowns might of cured the problem? :idea:

Boozer
10-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Doesn't look like there's any damage to the truck or the boat. He got lucky. As far as rear tie downs go a lot of people dont seem to use them. Personally I would NEVER haul my boat or any boat for that matter without rear tie downs but I know people who dont use them.

jeepinscott
10-21-2004, 09:25 AM
I copied it from another board. He said that it was his friend's boat and that his friend was not driving. He was going from the lake to the hotel, just a short trip and decided to just leave the tie downs off! :cry:

Jordy
10-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Sure see some bizzare mishaps on here. :hammerhea
Guess this was the opposite situation of that cat (was it a Water Rod?) that was hanging off the trailer on the ramp. That was a case of not quite enough, this is a case of just a little bit too much. :D

syke-o
10-21-2004, 09:26 AM
most time i dont use the tie downs when i pull the boat out in Havasu for example and i am just driving a few blocks back to the house, but anything longer than that and i definitely throw the tie downs on... :2purples:

jeepinscott
10-21-2004, 09:30 AM
"This combo belongs to a co-worker of mine, and this was just this past weekend. It turns out that in some states there are no laws about strapping your boat down, so on a short ride from the lake to the house sometimes you don't. He wasn't driving, a friend of his was, but here is the result when you "stop short".
Thanks Buddy
They had to hire a crane to put the 2 month old boat back onto the trailer. "
-From the original post.

jbtrailerjim
10-21-2004, 09:37 AM
I copied it from another board. He said that it was his friend's boat and that his friend was not driving. He was going from the lake to the hotel, just a short trip and decided to just leave the tie downs off! :cry:
Thats what I figured happened. He must not have had his winch locked. I have to say I'm guilty of not putting my tie downs on when I go from the ramp at the river and back to the river pad.

Roxysnow
10-21-2004, 09:42 AM
That sh!t could have been a whole lot worse! DAM!!! that sucks!

Havasubum
10-21-2004, 09:49 AM
anymore pictures?

jeepinscott
10-21-2004, 09:53 AM
none yet.

Ducatista
10-21-2004, 09:58 AM
That had to have just happened. That boat was on Havasu last weekend. Sucks to be them.
I was thinking that Sleek looked familiar....at first I thought the first pic was on a launch ramp and the boat came in way too hard. But it looks like it happened on the road, during a hard stop. I wonder if the nose was hooked and the bow strap broke, or if it was just sittin on the trailer with no straps at all? Man that is one tough lesson to learn about proper use of tie downs and towing. Kinda reminds me of the poor guy that filled his Magic with diesel. Could have been alot worse if that baby got sliding down the road all by itself and hit someone....can you say liability? The damage doesn't look too bad considering....
Double OUCH!!!

dicudmore
10-21-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm guilty of the no tie-down thing myself. My boat doesn't have rings/hooks either.
What do you do in that case? Strap it around the drive??

waterwitch
10-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Just curious, but wouldn't the front strap keep
it from coming forward?
We have never used tie downs on the back, as
I am sure alot of others don't either.
Might think about it now.

al cole'holic
10-21-2004, 10:04 AM
I would say the bow hook wasn't on..dude was buzzed, pulled on the trailer and jumped in the truck... :hammerhea

Ziggy
10-21-2004, 10:11 AM
most time i dont use the tie downs when i pull the boat out in Havasu for example and i am just driving a few blocks back to the house, but anything longer than that and i definitely throw the tie downs on... :2purples:
Same here, almost never are my straps on between the house and ramp but if I go anywhere outside of that they get "strapped on" :D
By the looks I doubt he even had the front strap hooked :rolleyes: hard lesson to learn.
JeepinScott, any word on how much damaged was incurred? Looks like he got off relatively easy.

91nordic29
10-21-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm guilty of the no tie-down thing myself. My boat doesn't have rings/hooks either.
ours doesnt have them either :2purples: we do have a safety cable hooked in the front as well as the strap.

HighRoller
10-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Actually, how many times have you heard this scenario on the ramp:
"Keep comin...more, more, more...a little more...SLAMMMMMMMM.............Okay that's good."

dicudmore
10-21-2004, 10:17 AM
ours doesnt have them either :2purples: we do have a safety cable hooked in the front as well as the strap.
that's what I have also. A tie-down around the trailer to the eye hook and then the strap/winch

dicudmore
10-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Actually, how many times have you heard this scenario on the ramp:
"Keep comin...more, more, more...a little more...SLAMMMMMMMM.............Okay that's good."
u got it.....keep the throttle down till it stops :2purples:

Desert Rat
10-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Mine didn't have them either so I put them on. The stainless eyes aren't very expensive and they are very easy to install. I bought the rachet type tie downs that bolt to your trailer. It takes about 15 seconds to hook both tie downs and pop the rachet a click or two. I have seen a few boats bonce a good 6-8 inches off the trailer in front of me at those damn asphalt to concrete transisitions at the bridges on the 40 East! Put the eyes and tie downs on right after that.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
10-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Can you imagine sitting in the driver's seat and looking in your rear view mirror and seeing the boat come flying up onto the cab :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

Captain Dan
10-21-2004, 10:22 AM
it from coming forward?
I don't know about most of you, but I would never tow on the highway without straps in the rear, bow eye firmly strapped, AND safety chain on the bow strap. I'v seen my old trailer come completely off the ground (small boat/single axle). I didn't see the boat leave the trailer, only because it was strapped.
When I bought my new Ultra, I was shocked to learn that the rear straps are not included with the boat - I was told it wasn't required by law, and most people don't use them. I didn't leave the parking lot without them!

99 232 baja
10-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Even if you have the winch locked and NO rear tie downs the boat could still flip on the truck if you hit something or brake hard enough. Still wondering what the insurance company said when the crane bill was turned in??

Ducatista
10-21-2004, 10:33 AM
I must have got lucky, I don't recall having to ask for them, they were installed. Get a good drill bit for the transom, its pretty thick, and install them yourself like was mentioned...no biggie.

Havasu Hangin'
10-21-2004, 10:41 AM
it from coming forward?
If the ratched is locked, my front strap would hold the boat from sliding forward...if it held. :jawdrop:

billet racing
10-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Reminds me of the old "Freebie and the Bean" Movie. Calling for a tow truck to the 3rd floor.
My Eliminator does not have rear tie downs, a bar and safety chain in the front. Hell, it does not have any cleats either. Tried not to drill too many holes ion the boat. Maybe I'll look into puting some in.

Captain Dan
10-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Thats what I figured happened. He must not have had his winch locked. I have to say I'm guilty of not putting my tie downs on when I go from the ramp at the river and back to the river pad.
Hey JB, do you ever think about the boat slipping off the trailer when you go up the dirt road up from the ramp at the BC? I do. Safety chain to the winch makes me feel better.

25Elmn8r
10-21-2004, 11:36 AM
That would totally suck! you see people all the time driving down the road without the straps with the boat bouncing off the trailer.
That's the reason my boats have never gone further than the wipedown area without the straps.

redi4fun
10-21-2004, 12:35 PM
All I can say is :2purples: !! This guy got lucky that no one in the truck was hurt or that the boat didn't hit the pavement. :hammerhea I know it is hard to tell, but it looks as if the truck held its own. Hell, even the light on the back of the cab with a plastic cover is still working. Wonder what the tail gate looks like? :cool:

jbtrailerjim
10-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Hey JB, do you ever think about the boat slipping off the trailer when you go up the dirt road up from the ramp at the BC? I do. Safety chain to the winch makes me feel better.
I alway's make sure I'm hooked at the front and I take it nice and easy headin up that little hill. I've never had a problem in the 9 years I've been staying there.

BarryMac
10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Don't care if I'm going 500 yards or 500 miles, the boat is strapped to the trailer, the boat and everyone else on the road are more important than me saving 3 minutes a day, that's 1.5min to take them off when I get there and 1.5min to put them on when I leave...
just my .02
gjb

jackpunx
10-21-2004, 12:59 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/greenagain/streetbikes/websize/boat2.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/greenagain/streetbikes/websize/boat4.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/greenagain/streetbikes/websize/boat5.jpg
2 month old boat and a new truck!
I still cant take my eyes off his avitar.. :)

BarryMac
10-21-2004, 01:00 PM
I still cant take my eyes off his avitar.. :)
I know huhhh...

mmered8299
10-21-2004, 01:09 PM
The bunks must a still been wet to lessen the friction.

voodoomedman
10-21-2004, 05:45 PM
I don't know about most of you, but I would never tow on the highway without straps in the rear, bow eye firmly strapped, AND safety chain on the bow strap. I'v seen my old trailer come completely off the ground (small boat/single axle). I didn't see the boat leave the trailer, only because it was strapped.
When I bought my new Ultra, I was shocked to learn that the rear straps are not included with the boat - I was told it wasn't required by law, and most people don't use them. I didn't leave the parking lot without them!
Yeah I was surprised too but I didn't leave without straps and I don't go farther than the wipe down lane without them being strapped on.

plaster dave
10-21-2004, 05:51 PM
I think I would crap my pants seeing that thing coming at me in the rear view mirror. :D

H20Advantage
10-26-2004, 06:57 PM
My neighbors in Havasu said they saw this happen in the area of N. Palo Verde about a week ago.
Yesterday we were talking and it looked like the same truck and boat passed by going up the hill on N. Palo Verde and both the truck and boat looked fine.

Sane Asylum
10-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Note to self.....Read bad blown's note...... :skull: