PDA

View Full Version : Boating communities other than Havasu?

Kachina26
10-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Ok, I hope to live in Havasu one day. Preferably sooner than later. However, I don't want to limit myself. What places in the country could I consider where I could run a big boat, have at least 4-5 months of boating weather, purchase a new home for under 300k and be in a somewhat rural setting?

Parker Dreamin
10-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Ok, I hope to live in Havasu one day. Preferably sooner than later. However, I don't want to limit myself. What places in the country could I consider where I could run a big boat, have at least 4-5 months of boating weather, purchase a new home for under 300k and be in a somewhat rural setting?
Parker

FRENCHIE
10-25-2004, 07:35 PM
...................................BEAUMONT!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hammerhea :wink: :) :p

Kachina26
10-25-2004, 07:37 PM
...................................BEAUMONT!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hammerhea :wink: :) :p
You're asking for it! ;)

Mandelon
10-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Texas maybe? Sacramento Delta? Gulf Coast like Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia? So Carolina maybe.....Florida for sure.

Midlife Advantage
10-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Texas maybe? Sacramento Delta? Gulf Coast like Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia? So Carolina maybe.....Florida for sure.
Sacramento Delta definately. its the bomb. but it doesnt have no 5 months of good weather, more like 3 or4, then its mild. but there are hundreds of miles to explore, places to open er up, and lots of Poker runs. and parttteeees.

Kachina26
10-25-2004, 07:41 PM
No hurricane country. Florida is most likely out of the price range.

jlnorthrup122
10-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Lake of the Ozarks would work! I don't know about 5 months of boating weather but the fall is a very scenick boat ride! or Okaboji Iowa would work thats a pritty bad ass lake but we still have govenor vilsack for another 3 years (basically Iowa's gray davis hell I think visack suproted davis during the recal election) I think they closed up thunder alley in Miami florida! but that was a hot spot too!

Quality Time
10-25-2004, 07:44 PM
The Great Lakes region. More boats in MI than any other state.

mbrown2
10-25-2004, 07:45 PM
Texas, look at Lake Lewisville or another big lake in the north Dallas/Plano area...tons of lakes and you can get a lake home pretty cheap...also, their spring and summer are pretty long and nice for boating..

Kachina26
10-25-2004, 07:58 PM
The Great Lakes region. More boats in MI than any other state.
Too cold

Midlife Advantage
10-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Too cold
Yah, anywhere other than the southwest and you have to hermetically seal your dang boat in the winter!! you ever seen that? they seal them up in plastic and then heat shrink it all down. like a dang baggie over it.

cc322
10-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Lots of lakes in Texas.......giddy up

572Daytona
10-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Georgia, Lake Lanier, will work. Plenty of 50' plus boats here. I use the Jet from April to November and the other boats year round. I live in a rural area but growing (approx 1 hour from Atlanta). 300K won't buy a whole lot in a lakefront house but it will buy quite a bit withing walking distance of the lake. I took the jet out after work today (it was close to 80 degrees):
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6912&stc=1

Mardonzi
10-25-2004, 08:35 PM
We live in Page, which is right at the dam at Lake Powell. We usually boat from April (still chilly) to November. We wouldn't live anywhere else.. It is 2 hours from Flagstaff, 4 hours from Vegas of Phoenix, has about 10,000 people, and no ramp rangers with db meters...

BajaMike
10-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Tickfaw River, Louisiana (between New Orleans and Baton Rouge)....you can get your river front $300,000 house there for about $100,000.
Home of one of the biggest poker runs in the south....I have friends with a house there on the river...good boating from March till November.
And drinking and driving is legal there (you can't be drunk and drive, but you can be drinking and drive).....all the bars have "go cups" so you can take your drink with you.
Check out the pictures.....my buddies house is in the upper left, just up river from the big covered marina...
http://www.dundeeproductions.com/photos/Tickfaw_1_Browser/image/dsc_2390.jpg
Heres the web site for the poker run....great pictures...I've been boating there every summer for the past ten years.
Tickfaw River... (http://www.dundeeproductions.com/Tickfaw_200.html)
:argue:

shueman
10-26-2004, 03:44 AM
The Colorado River.....in Texas....!! Lake Travis is HUGE....

erieboater
10-26-2004, 04:09 AM
Lake Erie, Sandusky Ohio area. 4-5 months is not out of the question. We have great boating with a group of islands within a 1/2 hr ride. Think of Catalina/Key West only closer. Housing on the lake or bay can be had for right around $300,000 if you are looking something rural not on the water it is a whole lot cheaper. Check out www.put-in-bay.com for one of the islands. and www.cedarpoint.com (the best amusement park in the world right on the lake and bay). The winters are tough but you can go ice boating.
The nice part is you are not on a river and have unlimited space with Canada only an hour run across the lake wide open. No speed limits no noise limits. The cops have not figured out how to measure that one yet.

ZBODaytona
10-26-2004, 05:41 AM
I would say Florida too, but you said no hurricanes. This year was bad but it was the first in a long time for us, but hey we get to boat year round.... I would say central Florida area, we have lots of lakes and a nice river, plus we are only an hour away from both coast. Then again I am partial....

ahhell
10-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Baja Mexico.......gulf of cali or lake pacific :hammerhea

Kachina26
10-26-2004, 05:59 AM
Baja Mexico.......gulf of cali or lake pacific :hammerhea
I saw your name and expected to see SVL :redface:

ahhell
10-26-2004, 06:01 AM
SVL is nice but not big enuf to get to speed, and i believe your boat may be a little big for there...beside 1MILLION DOLLARS for a lakeside home in Victorville :messedup:

shadow
10-26-2004, 06:09 AM
How about Lake smelsomemore? :D
Just think you could still commute to the job you have now.

OGShocker
10-26-2004, 06:12 AM
How about Lake smelsomemore? :D
That is just wrong! :supp: :D

PHX ATC
10-26-2004, 06:16 AM
Lake Travis, TX.
Possum Kingdom, TX.
Lake of the Ozarks.
Anywhere in FL.
Anywhere in southern TX.
Pick a gulf coast state, they are all near the lake of the mexico gulf for the salty floating parties.
Then again, a cardboard box parked out in Petco Park would give you the rural feel yet be close to a true boating community. :supp: :D :D

R.A.D.man
10-26-2004, 06:20 AM
Lake Texoma is big and just a little north of Dallas, TX. (Big houses, Big boats, poker runs, and a bunch of other lakes around as well. Lake Travis in Austin, TX is high dollar for lake houses start around 200K on the upper ends, farthest from Austin and as you move towards town, the sky is the limit (poker runs and all are included). And if you were to settle there, Lake Amistad is 4 hours away and it is spectacular, it is in Del Rio, TX. Just about no development as far as houses go and it will always be that way. All 3 of those lakes are 50 miles long or better and very clear and deep once you move away from where the rivers pour in.

ChumpChange
10-26-2004, 06:40 AM
Texas, I think Charlston if that's a city in Texas. My freind who just got married bought a house, with a dock on the lake for approximately $150,000. That doesn't seem like too bad a price.

Dribble
10-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Sacramento Delta definately. its the bomb. but it doesnt have no 5 months of good weather, more like 3 or4, then its mild. but there are hundreds of miles to explore, places to open er up, and lots of Poker runs. and parttteeees.
Actually the season can run from May to October. THe water is swimable during those months and the outside temps can be from 90- to 110 degrees hitting the highs in June June July August and early September).

Seadog
10-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Grand Lake

ThongMagnet
10-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Searchlight, Nevada (Mohave)
Meadview, AZ (Mead)
Page, AZ (Powell)
Phoenix, AZ (Pleasant, Bartlett, Canyon, Apache, Roosevelt)
Lake Elsinore, CA :idea:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-26-2004, 02:19 PM
OOOO boy this is good, but I better not :wink:

burtandnancy
10-26-2004, 02:20 PM
I was going to say Lake Mead; only 3 hours from Hesperia, but the under 300K thing killed that, unless you're over 55, or have parents over 55...

Kachina26
10-28-2004, 08:00 PM
OOOO boy this is good, but I better not :wink:
What?

Kachina26
10-28-2004, 08:02 PM
I was going to say Lake Mead; only 3 hours from Hesperia, but the under 300K thing killed that, unless you're over 55, or have parents over 55...
3hours??!!! I'm talking 3 minutes. I want to leave work and hit the water! I want NO house payment. Texas sounds nice but the HUMIDITY!!!! And it's in Tornado/Hurricane territory.
Now about Louisiana......................................... .....
Ya know as bad as I want out of Ca, I don't know that I can leave the southwest.

Mardonzi
10-28-2004, 08:33 PM
3hours??!!! I'm talking 3 minutes. I want to leave work and hit the water! I want NO house payment. Texas sounds nice but the HUMIDITY!!!! And it's in Tornado/Hurricane territory.
Now about Louisiana......................................... .....
Ya know as bad as I want out of Ca, I don't know that I can leave the southwest.
my vote is still with Page, AZ,, (i'm biased, i know..)

24sleekenforcer
10-28-2004, 08:37 PM
my vote is still with Page, AZ,, (i'm biased, i know..)
I am with you on Page, AZ, you can't get any better then Powell !!!!!

throwerb
10-28-2004, 09:16 PM
This is the house I'm buying 15 min out of Nashville TN. 4,000 sqft all brick home right across the street from Lake Hickory 300k. Less than 2 hours from 3 other big lakes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=55591&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

uncle larry
10-28-2004, 09:34 PM
best place
is still
Lake
Havasu

cigarette1
10-29-2004, 05:44 AM
Newport Beach :D
12 months of boating ... going out tomorrow :cool:

shadow
10-29-2004, 05:54 AM
Newport Beach :D
12 months of boating ... going out tomorrow :cool:
And new houses for under 300K????????? :confused: :D
Have fun out there in lake Pacific tomorrow.Would like to do one of those trips next spring/summer.

ShockwaveRob
10-29-2004, 06:13 AM
Kachina26,
I am thinking of spending new years in havasu (with my boat of course) do you have any idea what kind of weather they have out there that time of year?

Kamakazi Ken
10-29-2004, 06:24 AM
Southern New Mexico Has two fairly large lakes and houses are way under 300k and 4-5 months of boating

RiverOtter
10-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Florida ==> 12 months / year boating.

Captain Dan
10-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Florida ==> 12 months / year boating.
Yeah, but they have snakes and gators and stuff in the water. (You guys probably have snakes too, huh?). A CA or AZ boater would have a hard time dealing with that.
In the southwest we only have to worry about those little sucker fish grabbing ahold of your toes, or the occasional nipple. :rollside:

RiverOtter
10-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Yeah, but they have snakes and gators and stuff in the water. (You guys probably have snakes too, huh?). A CA or AZ boater would have a hard time dealing with that.
In the southwest we only have to worry about those little sucker fish grabbing ahold of your toes, or the occasional nipple. :rollside:
Yup! I think I've seen those "Sucker Fish" in pics taken at the Sandbar :devil: :devil: Never seen any snakes while boating here in the Nooga. Never seen any in FL either. But I have seen other things you don't want to mess with :2purples:

Captain Dan
10-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Last year I had one of those sucker fish grab my nipple and almost drew blood. They hit it like it's bait. Freaks out the ladies - they go for the toenail polish and of course any pink flesh that's exposed.

purrfecttremor
10-29-2004, 03:39 PM
SVL is nice but not big enuf to get to speed, and i believe your boat may be a little big for there...beside 1MILLION DOLLARS for a lakeside home in Victorville :messedup:
your right svl has a 22 ft limit.i used that lake for 15 years with my 21 jet.to big now.

AZKC
10-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Phoenix, AZ (Pleasant, Bartlett, Canyon, Apache, Roosevelt)
Ding!!
Saguaro Lake also and a quick trip to the river and Havasu.

sorry dog
10-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Yup! I think I've seen those "Sucker Fish" in pics taken at the Sandbar :devil: :devil: Never seen any snakes while boating here in the Nooga. Never seen any in FL either. But I have seen other things you don't want to mess with :2purples:
I like Nickajack a lot. Very pretty
http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/uploads/post-5-1099003638.jpg
Only thing I don't like is I like to see some side slews to escape channel traffic. BTW - I know yall got snakes but woodpile or high grass is where your likely to see them. I occasionally see some mocassins and mostly copperheads on Little River down the road from you, but there are usually trying to get away.
A big question is how much activity do you want to see?
Popular lakes like the one 572 is on will cost $$. The popular lake in Alabama (Martin) is pretty active with bigger boats (Richard Scrushy used to run his Skater/Fountains there before feds ended his party). It's mixed with mansions in some places and trailers in others, but like any place around here you'll have to get used to skeeters, humidity, rednecks, and people like JBB.
I mean- how rural do you want it?
BTW - I don't think inner Texas area is too big of Hurricane risk. The Loosyana folks gotta run for higher ground sometimes. East Florida gets it bad but any given spot on the gulf coast is probably only gonna get a bad direct hit every 20-30 years or so. On that note, I'm thinking Galveston area is overdue since Aleasha was last big one I can think of.

RiverOtter
10-29-2004, 05:11 PM
I like Nickajack a lot. Very pretty
http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/uploads/post-5-1099003638.jpg
Only thing I don't like is I like to see some side slews to escape channel traffic. BTW - I know yall got snakes but woodpile or high grass is where your likely to see them. I occasionally see some mocassins and mostly copperheads on Little River down the road from you, but there are usually trying to get away.
A big question is how much activity do you want to see?
Popular lakes like the one 572 is on will cost $$. The popular lake in Alabama (Martin) is pretty active with bigger boats (Richard Scrushy used to run his Skater/Fountains there before feds ended his party). It's mixed with mansions in some places and trailers in others, but like any place around here you'll have to get used to skeeters, humidity, rednecks, and people like JBB.
I mean- how rural do you want it?
BTW - I don't think inner Texas area is too big of Hurricane risk. The Loosyana folks gotta run for higher ground sometimes. East Florida gets it bad but any given spot on the gulf coast is probably only gonna get a bad direct hit every 20-30 years or so. On that note, I'm thinking Galveston area is overdue since Aleasha was last big one I can think of.
I'll be on Nickajack Sunday. Doin the Color Cruise. Nickajack is basically a "river" with on Slews like Chickamauga, Watts Bar, Louden, Guntersville, etc. But the "Gread Canyon" of the TN river is beauiful!! Try to take some pics and post Monday. Stay tuned.