PDA

View Full Version : Radio Faceplate fastener

voodoomedman
10-25-2004, 08:29 PM
When I hit some big wakes or air in my boat at some good speed the faceplate likes to come off of the radio. Is there any little clips or anything to buy so that this doesn't happen? I think there is a way to permanently mount it on there but I'm not sure I want to for the security reasons. The plastic splash guards don't work because it will keep it from going to the floor but not from coming off enough for the radio to cut out.

riverbound
10-26-2004, 01:19 AM
The only thing I know to do would be to put the thin 2sided tape on it but it makes it very dificult to remove the faceplate then. We used to do this to our radios on display so poeple wouldnt steal the faceplate.

BoatFloating
10-26-2004, 06:26 AM
Sony's have a little screw that srews in the side so you can't remove face. They use this for the displays so people can't take them. It's a tiny screw and comes in the unit when you buy it new. The other brands I don't know about????

voodoomedman
10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks. I'll check into the screw. It's a pioneer. The tape is interesting though too. The thing I don't like about the screw is that I can't take off the faceplate when not in use without undoing the screw.

Evo22
10-27-2004, 06:53 AM
I was gonna say what boatfloating did about the sony's.... u could take a small screw with the face open drill a hole in the metal and just into the plastic on the face and put a flush mount screw in it that should hold it

ROZ
10-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Take a real good look at the clips and faceplate back to see if they're a little rounded... What model is it? Maybe I can help out if it's a model I stock... :idea:

mbrown2
10-27-2004, 09:13 AM
I have always ran the sony's and had a Kenwood initially in the Eliminator and have never had a an issue, I wonder if other Pioneer units do this...I have ran in pretty rough water in smaller boats with the other units and have never seen this happen, wonder if it is a problem with the particular unit...

voodoomedman
10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Take a real good look at the clips and faceplate back to see if they're a little rounded... What model is it? Maybe I can help out if it's a model I stock... :idea:
I'm not sure the model. I'll look when I go to the river in a couple of weeks. Deh9 something maybe. It has xm or xm ready if that helps.

voodoomedman
10-27-2004, 05:13 PM
I have always ran the sony's and had a Kenwood initially in the Eliminator and have never had a an issue, I wonder if other Pioneer units do this...I have ran in pretty rough water in smaller boats with the other units and have never seen this happen, wonder if it is a problem with the particular unit...
It doesn't do it all the time. Just when I'm going fast through rough water or catch some big air. My boat is freaking great through the chop but the faceplate like to drop. If the screw idea's work or some sort of permanent thing I starting to consider since once the condo is done it will be in it's own garage every night and not in a hotel parking lot at night.